Ziek 01-Sep-14
Mule Power 01-Sep-14
WapitiBob 01-Sep-14
sticksender 01-Sep-14
Drummer Boy 01-Sep-14
BULELK1 01-Sep-14
Paul@thefort 01-Sep-14
01-Sep-14
I've done this for years with mixed results. There has got to be a better way. I'm off to AK for a goat hunt in a couple weeks and I hate wet feet. I'd like to see better results. What I've done in the past with both Sno Seal and Obenaufs is to warm the boots gently with a hair dryer, and then rub in the paste. What I've found though is it doesn't seem to last very long. Is there something I'm missing in the process? Should I be doing multiple applications? Anything else?

01-Sep-14
I use the Obenaufs with decent results. It needs redone every 4-6 months or so. I make sure my boots are clean and totally dry, then apply the Obenaufs. I then set the boots out in the sun for a few hours and let it absorb really well, then apply another coat. It works pretty well this way. Good Luck!

01-Sep-14
Montana pitch blend....

01-Sep-14
No such thing as water proofing for leather. Water resistant maybe. Why not buy boots with gortex.

01-Sep-14
The Kenetrek wax has worked great for the past three years...applied exactly how you described.

Mark

01-Sep-14
Nothing I've found makes them waterproof, but we use Montana Pitch Blend. It seems to work as good as any, and at least it smells like pine.

01-Sep-14
Do what you've been doing with the Obenauf's and hit them each morning with Nik Wax liquid before you head out hunting. No heat needed.

01-Sep-14

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
"..Why not buy boots with gortex."

'cause Gore-Tex doesn't belong in boots.

The boot in the picture is filled with water to test for leaking gore-tex. Less than 10 days and 30 miles on them. I've had the same results for the last 25 years when water meets Gore-Tex in a pair of boots.

01-Sep-14
I find that a good set of Gaiters helps more than anything else in keeping my boots dry.

01-Sep-14
My first pair of gore tex boots leaked like crazy I bought them in the early eighties before they knew enough not to sew threw the stuff.But I have had good luck with them after that first pair.Heck my waters are gore tex and I have had them for eight years.

01-Sep-14
It is all about Mink Oil for me....

Good luck, Robb

01-Sep-14
Obenauf's water shield spray and the Heavy Duty LP paste.

I agree concerning the phrase, " water proof leather"! may not exist.

But with the correct applications of Obenaufs paste and spray, one can surely make the leather very water resistant.

Here is what I do.

1. three applications of the Heavy Duty LP paste. I use a hair dryer in between applications so it will melt into the leather.

2. I let the booths rest for a day and then apply two applications of the Water Shield, drying each applications for a few hours before applying the next.

I use this last year during a very wet Sept elk hunting in Colorado and was very pleased with the results

Both boots have a gore tex liner. Mendel and Danner leather boots.

My best, Paul

• Sitka Gear