Yellowjacket 17-Sep-14
bullnbow 18-Sep-14
bowcrazy 18-Sep-14
HDE 18-Sep-14
butcherboy 18-Sep-14
JLS 18-Sep-14
bowcrazy 19-Sep-14
12-Sep-14
ive always wondered for those of us who cut and wrap at home, whats the timeline like for you to go from field to freezer for a single person during a warm bow season? In the past I have just loaded the elk into coolers with ice and cut and wrapped in the kitchen throughout the first 3 or 4 days. Im intrigued by the idea of sitting on the gut pile since i have bears in my area but what would i do with 300 pounds of meat that needs to be processed? Do meat processors "rent" walk-in cooler space?

12-Sep-14
In some places They do some small town grochery stores do also

12-Sep-14
Some places rent cooler space. Some will even rent freezer space.

How warm/hot a temperature are you talking about? Many times we hang our moose or caribou under tarps or lay on top of cribbing or a small foldable ladder for up to 5-7 days. Not constant but temps sometimes get into the upper 60's towards 70's in the day. temps in the AM usually 20-45. Always have meat in game bags and Always under a tarp to keep the meat in the shade and cool.

If we get the meat home in only 1-5 days after the kill we hang it in a 40 degree garage (or as close to 40 as we can get it) for 5-10 days before processing/packaging.

In 26 years of doing this we have never had any meat spoil, even with a few 75-80 degree days before getting it home.

12-Sep-14
Last year the weather sucked during our moose hunt. From August 28-September 7th there was rain and temps up to 65 degrees. From the 7th to the 20th we had 10 days of rain, 2 of Sun with 65-70 degree temps and the last 2 days it snowed.

One guy in our camp got a moose and we had it in camp on cribbing and folding ladder under a tarp for 5 days and 2 of those were the sunny hot days. Decided on the 6th day to run it home.....6 hour drive one way and throw it in the freezer. After the hunt, hung and thawed it out, and left it to hang/age for another 5 days. No spoilage.

If you have the space and a generator, you can do like some people and buy a chest freezer, put it on your trailer and freeze the meat right where you have parked and then continue hunting. Just lock the freezer closed and lock it to the trailer so it is still there when you get back.

12-Sep-14
I butcher the next day or four. Takes me 3-4 hours for a deer. That's from hung in garage to putting my grinder and knives away. I pack all my meat (ground, stew, steak) into 1lb packs. Roasts I will do as 2-3lbs.

I know we hung moose for days in the shade and easily a week in the garage but that's in October with frosty nights. I haven't hung in hot weather and would be leery of it.

Coolers here will hang your meat for real cheap. Cutting isn't cheap and I'm fussy so I do all that myself.

13-Sep-14
Moosenelson...Man your fast at butchering your deer. It takes me a lot longer to do a deer by myself.

13-Sep-14

Gaur's embedded Photo
Gaur's embedded Photo
I did half my elk in camp last year. Took me an afternoon. I got 100 lb of meat. My partner took the other half to a local butcher and he got 80 lb back. Got dry ice from town and my partner hunted for another 4-5 days and the meat kept fine. I added more dry ice after a few days and then on the way home once.

13-Sep-14

Gaur's embedded Photo
Gaur's embedded Photo
I liked using the press and seal first and then in the freezer paper. Kept the meat real nice in the freezer during the year.

13-Sep-14
brought 20 lb of trimmings and had 10 lb of beef added to make elk burgers. Those were good eating.

13-Sep-14
usually takes me 2-3 hours per deer, depending if I am cutting jerky, etc. i freeze all my meat to grind then do it all at once after the season is over. i started processing my own 15 years ago after taking a 120# buck to the processor and getting a box of meat back that was small to the point of being comical. since that time i have done my own and loved it. add in the cost savings of $50-75 per deer and when I am killing 5-7 a year it adds up quick.

Craig

13-Sep-14
For me, 1 deer takes 1-1/2 hrs to cut, wrap, and grind. An average size elk it takes 2-1/2 hrs to cut, wrap, and grind.

That's if I bring the whole carcass home and have to debone.

If I've already deboned in the hills then half the time listed above.

Once meat is cooled out in the hills it stays pretty cool for quite some time. For example, if you get an elk broke down to hanging "quarters" and let it sit over night before packing out and it gets down to 40 deg that night, the internal temp will stay like that for several hours without a cooler.

14-Sep-14
I do mine same day if taken in the early morning if early evening then next day. I have a friend who has a walk in cooler makes life real easy for me, he also was a butcher for almost 30 years!

14-Sep-14
some great info thanks for your input guys. ok heres another question, do you freeze your meat cleaned and ready for the grill or leave the gristle on and cut it off when thawed. seems like those of you who finish the job so quickly may be leaving some fat and gristle on the meat because I clean all of mine and it takes me way longer to do the job.

14-Sep-14
I cleaned mine real carefully before packing in the pictures. Took me 5 hrs to do half an elk. So that is pretty slow by some of the numbers here. Not trying to win a race anyway.

14-Sep-14
Regarding your 2nd question, I freeze mine with the silver skin etc. still on the meat. It saves time on the front end, and if there's any freezer burn, it will be removed when I remove the gunk.

15-Sep-14
Average time for me on a whitetail is about 3.5 Hrs from hung up till wrapped and in the freezer and cleanup done. Did one last year in 3 Hrs from the time the arrow hit her till she was wrapped and in the freezer, but I shot her 100 yards from the garage and my son was there to help.

15-Sep-14
I live close to where I hunt and cut mine up starting as soon as I get it home. If I get it home in the afternoon or evening, I will cut through the night and have it all in the freezer by morning. That is when the temps are warm. If it is freezing in the nights then I will take my time. I am on the severly slow list however, as it takes me about 6+ hours to cut and wrap. That does not include the grinding. The grinding meat I put into a big plastic sack and put in the refridge until I decide what kind of smoked meats I want to make. Last year I started to keep all the steak cuts whole in like a roast and note it on the package. I then will cut it into the steaks when I thaw it out. I figure that this prevents air from getting in between the steaks and possibly causing freezer burn. It saves me time in the begining an doesn't cost too much time later only doing one roast at a time.

15-Sep-14
I am not exactly sure what your intent is, but I don't think I would want to pay for rented cooler space. Chest freezers can usually be bought pretty cheap used. You can either freeze the quarters, or purchase a freezer to fridge converter (about $50) which monitors temps and cuts off the power.

You can fit an elk in a 5 cubic foot chest freezer...you will need to bone out the fronts and cut some bone off the hind quarters (to get the height down). Used 5 cubic foot chest freezer can be had for $50 -$80 (new is ~$200). Go bigger if you think you need to (the 8.4 cubic feet ones are a nice size). I bring a 5 cu.ft. freezer and a generator when I go elk hunting from the truck...just let it run at night.

If you are routinely shooting game each year this makes more sense to me than renting space, as long as you have someplace to put it. Can always put it in a back shed and run an extension cord for a few weeks a year if that is what you need.

15-Sep-14
You guys are amazing! It sometimes takes me 2 hours to find my knives.

I usually do my deer over 2 evenings after a day of work. That includes cutting all fat off, grinding, and vacuum sealing. There is additional time when I make jerky and sausage.

15-Sep-14
Very true. The more extra stuff you make the longer it takes.

Helps when your family owns a meat processing business ; - )

15-Sep-14
I can cut a good clean deer in about 30-45 minutes. Cleaned with all the "silverskin" and fat off steaks and roasts. With grinding and wrapping add another 30-45 minutes. Total time would be around 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the most. This does not include making any specialty sausage or jerky. I cut 6 deer once in 4 hours and I was really moving! Haven't been able to duplicate that time since and I have certainly tried. LOL

16-Sep-14
"An average size elk it takes 2-1/2 hrs to cut, wrap, and grind. That's if I bring the whole carcass home and have to debone. If I've already deboned in the hills then half the time listed above."

That's magician's work if your watch keeps proper time. 1hr, 15 min to trim, cut and wrap an entire deboned elk by yourself? Do you work with knives in both hands and one taped to each foot? I spent the better part of two full days last weekend. Wish you'd been around to show me how to turn a 16 hour job into 75 minutes. Would love to learn that trick.

9-10 days total aging this season for me - 4 days in mother nature's cooler on the mountain then another 5 or so in a walk-in while I worked my way through five 50 pound game bags full of boned out meat. Still processing the jerky in the new dehydrator.

16-Sep-14
IDWapiti,

It's not a magician's trick. HDE said his family owns a meat processing business. So I'm pretty sure he can cut up an elk pretty darn quick. I know because I watched him process his deboned elk just the other day. I can cut an elk, wrap and grind in 2 1/2 hours piece of cake. I have been a commercial processor for about 23 years now and trim everything nice and clean. No "silverskin" on steaks or roasts and no fat either. We have two big grinders that will grind 100 lbs of hb in about 10 minutes or less. It then goes into a hydraulic stuffer. If I was doing it at home I could still cut an elk this fast and wrap it. It would take a little longer to grind the hamburger with the kind of grinder most people have.

No, I don't work with a knife in both hands either but I do have a deboning hook in one hand and a knife in the other if that counts! LOL

16-Sep-14
butcherboy and HDE

how "clean" is the meat you put into the grinder? I try to clean it almost as much as steak meat but last year I asked a game-butcher friend to help with my bull and he threw all kinds of trash in the grinder and said it would be fine. well it ended up making a tender young elk taste like roadkilled squirrel feet marinated in beef fat. anybody have any good links to where i could source a 5qt (or slightly larger) chest freezer for under 100 to missoula mt? I like your idea mike lawrence!

17-Sep-14
well OK, butcher....now I feel like there's something I should know that I haven't discovered about processing....oh well.

17-Sep-14
After Skinning, 1.5 hours.

Deboned, cleaned (All silver skin off and ready to cook), packaged and in the freezer, knives washed.

I do save all my meat for grinding until after the season. Packaged in one gallon zip lock freezer bags and frozen. That way I only have to mess with the grinder 1 time. Or take it frozen to have summer sausage made. My local sausage guy will do a "private" batch if I bring him 50 plus pounds of meat at a time. That way ALL the sausage meat is mine. I am very picky!

17-Sep-14
Guess so IDWapiti. I find it comical that you can doubt someone who has processed more animals than you will probably ever see in a lifetime.

bullnbow - It's pretty clean meat that goes in the grinder. No fat, bloodshot, dried meat, dirty etc goes in. Beef fat is only good kidney fat that is added. Sometimes bacon ends and pieces, pork shoulder or beef brisket if it is requested.

17-Sep-14

HDE's embedded Photo
HDE's embedded Photo
bullnbow

the trick to processing your meat at home yourself and making it taste good on the table is what you do to it in the field.

For an elk, we skin half of it while laying on the ground exposing the meat side up. We then "quarter" it and debone the ribs, neck, and [backstrap] then repeat the other side and hang the meat on a meatpole we make out in the field by tying a log between two trees and let it hang overnight. We then debone the quarters while they are hanging and put the very cooled out meat into large plastic bags - 10 to 20 gallon ziplocks work great for this - then place the plastic bags into sturdy game bags to pack out.

See the pics showing the quarters hanging and boned out.

17-Sep-14

HDE's embedded Photo
HDE's embedded Photo
another pic showing boned out quarters

17-Sep-14
IDWapiti

It's only as tough as you want to make it. No reason to overwork something.

I wouldn't expect an infant to run until they could learn to crawl...

17-Sep-14
I'm happy if I can process an elk by myself in an 8 hour day. It's kind of like how long it takes me to tear apart the front end on my pickup versus a mechanic. A man's gotta know his limitations.

That said, HDE when you bone out meat do you trim off the brown oxidized portions when you are cutting/wrapping, or do you leave it? I (maybe needlessly so) trim the oxidized meat off along with the fascia, fat, and any connective tissue. Am I overdoing it here?

17-Sep-14
On average how many pounds of meat do you get with a 1.5hr butcher job?

17-Sep-14
Butcherboy - I was just trying get a sense of inefficiencies in the way I'm doing things. As mentioned, after spending two days on the same exact job, I thought it it was a legitimate inquiry - apparently you took offense. I'm just trying to learn something here - yikes. I'm somehow supposed to know you guys do this for a living? Why would I have reason to question the number of animals you've processed? Thanks.

17-Sep-14
It is going to take me all of a day to trim, cut and wrap an elk.

Maybe I am too picky, but I worked my butt off getting that meat out. It is my effort and sweat that went into getting that meat off the hill. I am not going to waste anything.

17-Sep-14
IDWapiti - I apologize. You are correct that I mistook what you said as an insult, again, I apologize.

One of the best ways to process your meat if it's still on the bone is to first skin off all fat, dried tissue, and membrane before deboning. Then proceed to debone starting on the calf muscle and work your way up. the trick is to take the bone out of the meat and not the meat off the bone. You can either do this while it's hanging or laying on a table. I prefer it laying on the table. Next cut on a hind is to cut in straight to the bone just below the knee cap then up along the bone to the socket joint, then straight out. cut should resemble an upside down L or a shape like this [. Next cut along the other side of the bone just deep enough to expose the underside of the bone. You can either remove this muscle now or continue working around the bone and socket until the top and bottom round and sirloin is removed then separate the muscles.

I won't go into detail for the front shoulder just because it's just as easy as a hind leg. Always stay up next to the bone while deboning. I also recommend learning to use a deboning hook because it keeps your fingers away from the knife and it's easier to hold the meat and pull when you need to.

trim off all dry/oxidized skin off before you debone. It's easier and quicker to take off pieces as long as you can get them. I usually pull off strips that are about 2"-3" wide and as long as the leg is from the knee joint all the way to the end of the sirloin muscle. sometimes they are smaller just depending on how they come off. I also skin the calf muscle this way as well.

I get all the meat as I can possibly get off of each customer's animal. It's their meat and they earned every scrap of it. I will be honest here and say that a little more connective tissue will probably be in the hb. If you want every bit of meat then this is just something that has to be accepted. It doesn't affect the taste like most think it does. If you spend hours upon hours then you can remove it all and end up with 50 lbs instead of 100 lbs of trim. I cut my personal animals the same way. Hamburger is actually a kind of a trash cut if you think about it. It's the stuff that doesn't make good stew meat, sliced jerky, fajita's, etc but it's still good meat.

The amount of prime steaks you can expect on the average is around 30-50 lbs all trimmed up and pretty depending on the size of the elk. Hb can be 75- 150 lbs depending on the size and how it's cut like no roasts, stew, jerky meat, fajita meat, etc.

One more good idea here. Save the neck bones and backbone if you can. cut them into smaller pieces and then pressure cook them. the meat falls right off the bone and is extremely tender! Makes excellent tamales, shredded burritos or shredded bbq elk.

Sorry this is long but believe me, I could make it really long! LOL Good luck to all this season and keep those knives sharp!

17-Sep-14
JLS -

Guess I'm confused at what oxidized meat is. Is it the rust formed from the iron in the blood when it's exposed to the open air? Never heard of it before. If that's the case then jerky is really just meat oxide, or MtO2. And what the heck is 'meat fascia'!?!? So, yes, you're overdoing it I guess...??

17-Sep-14
idacurt-

Q: On average how many pounds of meat do you get with a 1.5hr butcher job?

A: A bunch

Q: On average how many pounds of meat do you get with a 2.5hr butcher job?

A: A lot more than a bunch

17-Sep-14
HDE,

Fascia = silverskin or the whitish tissue on the outsides of the muscles.

The oxidized meat is the brown/darkish colored meat where it's been exposed to air, i.e. the area where you cut out the femur bone and it turns a brownish color after a day or so.

17-Sep-14
I'm in the 8 hour camp to do an elk by myself. That includes well trimmed, package the larger muscle pieces whole for roasts or steaks later and grinding and packaging the burger.

18-Sep-14
wow guys thanks so much for all the responses! ive done a bunch of animals but i go slow and im very deliberate so i love learning the way other guys do it. HDE and butcherboy thank you guys for adding your professional experience to the thread. it is good for us all. from the sounds of it, i do everything correctly and as suggested but it just takes me longer as i dont have as much experiece as some of you. im headed out tonight for a 4 day trip and i feel damn good about my chances in this area so if i down one ill have to bring it back and ice it and hope to get back on the gut pile in short order!

18-Sep-14
How many times do you put your meat through the grinder? I was taught by my Dad years ago to put meat thru the grinder twice. But now I am thinking I am wasting time and energy and should just do it once. The grinding goes quick - the first time. The second time is much more of a struggle as the meat is no longer in solid chunks.

This thread has been great.

18-Sep-14
JLS

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I always thought it was just "silverskin" or sinew and fascia was that covering on the edge of a roof that faces you.

I always thought the discoloration was from the absence of fluid in the muscle tissue (aka drying out) since the tissue already has air, or oxygen in it, from all that heart beating and breathing stuff happening when the animal was alive. So, does that mean that raisins are just oxidized grapes?

Good skill the rest of this fall - luck has nothing to do with it!!

18-Sep-14
I grind all Hb twice. Once through a course plate then once through a fine plate. All summer sausage, salami, bologna, pepperoni, and snack sticks get ground 3-4 times. It emulsifies the meat so it will basically stick together better (that's the short answer).

Add your beef fat, pork fat, pork meat, or beef at the 1st grind. I also add the seasoning for basic sausages at the 1st grind. It will mix well and even better during the 2nd grind. If the meat gets too warm after the 1st grind then cool it off before you grind it again. It's harder to grind meat when it's warm. You can either refrigerate it or add ice to the hb. Refrigeration is usually better but takes longer to cool it down. The meat can also be quick chilled by placing in the freezer for a short period.

18-Sep-14
HDE,

You're a funny guy. My apologies for inconveniencing you with a simple question.

Butcherboy,

Thank you for your responses.

19-Sep-14
Butcherboy - thanks for the insight. Cooling the meat before the second grind would definitely help. Firmer meat is much easier to push thru the grinder. Also like the idea to mix the seasoning when grinding.

Unfortunately, this means I must clean my grinder and wait another day or two between grinding. But, again, I think your insight is spot-on. Thanks!!

• Sitka Gear