eddie c 16-Sep-14
Bake 16-Sep-14
Cornpone 16-Sep-14
Mt. man 16-Sep-14
rgwaldron 16-Sep-14
redtail 18-Sep-14
Vids 18-Sep-14
13-Sep-14
Best way to get the 'gum material' off them? Thanks...

13-Sep-14
I boiled them in water and scraped it off with a steel brush. It didn't hurt the tooth at all.

13-Sep-14
Throw them in your pocket with some change... Get them all cleaned up.

13-Sep-14
Thanks guys, nice Nick...Lol

14-Sep-14
Just put them in hot, soapy water for awhile and then scrape them clean. If you want them darker just put them in wet coffee grounds for a few days until you get the color you want. It real brings out the pattern the tooth. X2 what Nick said about putting them in you pocket with change, it really polishes them up. See you on the tundra. Rory

16-Sep-14
After they dry, I clean them with a fine wire wheel on my Dremel grinder. It cleans them well, including the tartar, and polishes but doesn't hurt the inherent pattern.

16-Sep-14
What do you guys do with them once you get them cleaned up? do you make something yourself, or can you recommend someone to make jewelry?

16-Sep-14
since I've never looked in an elk's mouth and no one has really told me, which teeth are the ivories anyway?

16-Sep-14
I've boiled in the past, then scraped off the extra tissue. Best to do before your wife gets home and sees you using one of her nice pots :)

Bake

16-Sep-14

Cornpone's embedded Photo
Cornpone's embedded Photo
rgwaldron...upon getting my first, I was wondering what to do with them, also. I had no desire to make a money clip and my wife already has the jewelry on ten women! I decided to make a hatband but didn't want it to look "redneckish". I purcxhased a flat brass segmented chain on the internet. I soldered it together, repalcing the original leather hatband. I grind each ivory down so it almost looks like a rounded stone. I epoxy each to a segment of the chain.

16-Sep-14
Nick nailed it. Get them as trimmed as you can then throw in your pocket with loose change. You'll be surprised how clean they turn out after a while.

16-Sep-14
Nice Cornpone! I don't really wear hats so I'm still at a loss as to what to do. I was thinking of some kind of jewelry for the wife, but she's indicated she isn't interested.

18-Sep-14
Eddie, I didn't know until I killed my 1st elk last week. They are in the upper jaw. A few inches back.

18-Sep-14
Eddie - They are in about the same position as your canine teeth. Once you take a look it's pretty obvious which ones you're looking for.

• Sitka Gear