Drahthaar 19-Sep-14
Rock 19-Sep-14
bdfrd24v 19-Sep-14
Genesis 19-Sep-14
Duke 19-Sep-14
R. Hale 19-Sep-14
TD 19-Sep-14
14-Sep-14
After you harvest a deer under your stand does it take for deer patterns to return to normal? Does a blood trail and scent of a dead deer being dragged away taint an area?

14-Sep-14
Doesn't have that much effect.........I've actually had it act as an attractant couple times.....

14-Sep-14
Thanks MM

14-Sep-14
Depends on how much HUMAN scent you leave IMO. I'm with Jake, the blood and deer smell doesn't bother them.

14-Sep-14
My son killed on Sat. and I killed on Sun. from the same stand.

-Joe

14-Sep-14
I don't think it bothers them much. I shot a buck on Nov 1 and 3 days later my buddy shot one on the same day. My brother in law shot one on Oct 31 and the very next morning my uncle did. All in the same stand.

Now if you chase a buch out while tracking that's a different story.

19-Sep-14
Dear Fulldraw,

Can I please go in your stand next?

Thanks in advance,

Skipnoid

19-Sep-14
not the case in eastern N.C. you are pretty much done for the season . Forrest

19-Sep-14
I agree with Medicinemann on this as I have seen them go to investigate the gut pile before (thru binoculars from my stand).

19-Sep-14
Biggest buck I ever killed was 12 years ago, this season. I had 2 separate, I'll be in young bucks come in and investigate while I was field dressing. One of my cousins killed a nice 8 out of that stand the next morning.

We've got several other accounts on the farm of shooting one in the morning and using the same stand in the afternoon.

Granted most of these are rifle season, end of Nov in PA

19-Sep-14
Once interdigital alert scent trail of the deer wanes your good to go.

Blood/gut piles no issue

19-Sep-14
All depends on how intrusive you are in tracking and getting the deer out of the woods. Additionally, deer don't mind gut piles, but do mind some of the other creatures of the woods that may be lured in by them.

A good clean kill with a short blood trail where the deer is removed and cleaned offsite and I have no qualms in saying that a (mature) deer could easily be shot from same location very shortly thereafter!

19-Sep-14
Agree with some of the above comments.

Deer blood and gut piles are really not an issue. Death is common in the wild. Not too alarming.

Much depends on how much human scent you leave, noise you make, overall disturbance you create in the area. If you quietly get in, get out, not much of an issue.

Also, if coyotes really converge on kill site it can alert or displace the deer for a couple of days as well. Normally just puts them on high alert.

19-Sep-14
Don't know whitetails, but what Genesis said. The axis will lay out a "DANGER" scent and when other deer cross the trail it's easy to see their instant reaction.

I used to think it was blood, but have seen it many times when no blood present.

Once that scent is gone it's good to go. Sometimes an overnight rain shower will wash it away. Carcasses, gut piles, doesn't seen to bother them. Things die out there all the time. Pretty natural occurrence.

• Sitka Gear