cityhunter 06-Oct-14
TD 06-Oct-14
TODDY 19-Oct-14
Boudreaux 19-Oct-14
jdouin 19-Oct-14
TODDY 20-Oct-14
scott7030 20-Oct-14
15-Sep-14
I am looking for some suggestions on sling style tree stands. It seems like they are far and few manufactures of this style. The only one I can find is Guidos Web. Does anyone have any experience with this type of tree stand. I'm trying to find something lighter than caring in a climber stand and harness around 30lb. I've looked into a small hang on stand and strap on steps but it still seems like a lot of weight. Also if anyone has this style stand please help me decide on what kind of climbing system should I get to go with it.

Thanks,

Scott

15-Sep-14
Check out the testimonials of hunters on the Guido's Web site. Been thinking of getting one myself.

15-Sep-14
My summit climber is 15 pounds...

15-Sep-14
I ussed to use spikes to climb way back there. and wood sit anywere I felt like it, till they made climbing tree stands

15-Sep-14
John Eberhart (author, noted bow hunter of big pressured bucks)has used a Trophyline tree saddle (sling) for many years to great effect, but reports that the company went out of business about two years ago.

See http://www.saddlehunter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39&start=10 thread for new designs being commercialized by John and others (under the New Tribe brand, I think). Maybe this is the new sling design here: http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=134

Sit down before you read the price, though.

Michigan Dave

15-Sep-14
You can put a Hazmore seat on quite a few of the different climbers. I did it to my Lone Wolf Sit and Climb, it is around 16lbs before the harness.

15-Sep-14
Years ago when my grandma would join me on bow hunting trips, she enjoyed the tree saddle. I picked up a pink/camo one for her and it worked well.

16-Sep-14
I don't hunt from treestands much... but when I do it's a Treesaddle.....

I really like the saddle, so easy to shoot from as you can just lean right into it without worry of slipping or losing your balance. If you do it right you can use the straps almost as a shooting rest (if you've never shot a bow from a rest you should try it sometime, does the same thing for bows it does for rifles)

Can shoot 360 around the tree, you can actually hide "behind" the tree to a degree.

Near impossible to fall out of (I don't know how you could honestly, I fall asleep in it all the time)

Will work in trees that a "normal" stand just cannot. Can set up several trees ahead of time, strap on the saddle at the vehicle, walk in, climb up and strap in. All set and ready in no time and no "stand" to steal. The number of "stands" is only limited to how many trees you can set up to climb.

Plus you feel like a "real" predator in them when you move about, heheheh.... I prefer the saddle to any stand, any day.

Problem is as stated they don't make it anymore. They can be bought on ebay, etc. but folks are getting more for them used than when they were new. If you're looking at that route I have two recommendations. First if possible go down in size if any question. I'd say realistically the large shouldn't start until a 36" or 38" better yet, not the 34" it states. And secondly look up all the youtube videos you can on the trophyline tree saddle. A wealth of info and some really good modifications to check out.

My buddy has a Guido's web and personally I don't like it. Way bulkier and heavier than the saddle. Not near as maneuverable. A good deal harder to shoot a bow out of, I felt it was better for a rifle hunter or someone trying to make it more like a traditional stand. If you're even a little athletic the saddle is better.

I have no experience with the new "saddle" that has come out except that it is very expensive. I was expecting a fairly high price tag.... but, yeah, I was still pretty shocked. Maybe it has changed from when I was looking into them.

16-Sep-14

Yellowjacket's Link
Don't know which one he's using in this video but it looks cool.

17-Sep-14
I have a Summit Open Shot that is 15 lbs. and a lot more comfortable than any sling I have ever sat in. The sling may be fine for you, you won't know for sure until you have sat in one for 2 or 3 hours.

17-Sep-14
Andy I have the open shot as well. I agree its awesome and super light. This is my 6th year of using it. Its not an everyday stand but it is great for those sneak into a new spot and hunt for the morning or evening.

Does summit still make the open shot? If they do anyone reading this should consider the open shot if there in the market for a nice climbing stand

17-Sep-14
Call me crazy, but I ordered the New Tribe Aero Evolution tonight. I hunt quite a few management hunts for whitetails here in MN. I need to carry everything to and from the woods daily. I should be able to haul everything in my Eberlestock pack quietly to and from my stand locations each day. Personally, I was tired of sitting on the fence whether to buy a saddle or not. I will post my findings once I get it. End of September or so. I don't usually hit the woods hard until later in October so I should have had plenty of time to practice with it. TODDY

18-Sep-14
Looks like a great set up. And the price seems pretty manageable. If I recall (if it's the same saddle, not sure) when it first came out they were asking near $500 for it. $300 is in the neighborhood of a used treesaddle, right around a new Guido?

I went through their site and looked over the instructions, etc. I think if I were going to replace my saddle I'd look hard at this one. Might talk my buddy into selling his Guido and trying this one out. =D

The tree rope is pretty much what the treesaddle users have been doing, ditch the clumsy strap and go with the climbing rope and carabiner.

There is a learning curve to setting up your "stand" with these as to alignment to trails and such. And the KEY to the whole thing is setting up foot steps, either with strap on steps, screw in, etc. mostly in combination with natural limbs and features. We normally use 1/2" lag bolts and cordless drills to set up sites, but we are on private land. Usually have to prep a site anyway for any stand as to shooting lanes and personal clearance. Once set up you're good pretty much any time you feel like it.

I use a set of lone wolf sticks on places where I can't drill or want to try a quick hunt. I have a top bar I made for the top stick. A top set of home made strap steps if necessary. There are some really nice steps made from large PVC pipe cut at angles and threaded onto ratchet straps, some home made. A number of ways to do it.

Good knee pads might come in handy, you can adjust your position on the tree propping up a knee or two for comfort on long sits.

I'd still ravage youtube for every video made about trophyline treesaddle. The principles are going to be very similar if not identical in many cases.

Good luck! You're going to be amazed at the trees and places you can use this that you never could with a conventional stand, much less the climbers. And just a few lbs that you actually wear walking in rather than a bunch of gear strapped on your back.....Please check back later and give us an update on the new gear!

18-Sep-14
TD, I think you are the guy I sold my old Tree Saddle to. I was just thinking the other day that I could not remember your screenname haha. Anyway I hope you are still getting good use out of it!

18-Sep-14
I appreciate everyone input. I orders a Guido's Web after reviewing a long forum on a competing forum site Hint AT. There are some modifications that I will do to the web mainly on the attachment to the tree, but everyone said the comfort was way better than the original tree saddle. Also several options out there on how to climb a tree with just a rock climbers sling, but I am considering making some PVC style steps, they seem easy and light. Thanks for the help.

Scott

18-Sep-14
Yeah Dylan, that was me! Thanks much!

I had a large Ambush and wanted to go down a size, yours was a medium Ambush. Fits much better. They run big on their sizing.

It gets a fair amount of use and have taken several axis with it. Nearly all private land here and many of our spots are very small. Love spot and stalk but in these small places you put much pressure and they move out in a hurry. Stands are the way to go in these areas.

Some time ago we had like 4 or 5 stands stolen in one year and decided to try the saddle route. Never looked back, much prefer them, especially for shooting out of. No worries about falling out of the stand. =D

05-Oct-14
Well,I just received my New Tribe Aero Evolution. The whole thing is in an 8"diameter bag that is about 10" tall. Nice! Gave it a quick fit in the house. Looks well made and feels safe (buckles, carabiners, ropes) I will be out this week with it and report back on comfort and noise. TODDY

05-Oct-14

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Only problem was when I'd come back to get her after our hunt, she'd be swinging all over the place.

05-Oct-14
I own a Guido's Web and I think it would be a excellent stand for certain applications and excels when used on public land. However, if you have any shoulder injuries or any injury that has a affect on your ability to draw and shoot a bow, they will LIKELY be magnified by trying to draw a bow in a GW. I know this because my shoulder injuries forced me to adapt how I draw and shoot from my GW, I simply could not draw my bow normally as it caused to much discomfort.

Also if you need to pee, you will have to come down out of the tree. And if your GW gets soaked by rain or snow it will take several days to dry out, requiring you to wear rain gear on the dry days that fallow a soaking of your GW if you hunt using it, unless you can dry it quickly somehow that wont damage both your web and your dryer. If you hunt mostly public land you will have to come up with a public land legal foot support system. I was lucky enough to find some now discontinued Ameristep plastic tree steps and order a heavy duty ratchet strap to attach them to the tree. If you plan on using this type of foot support system, you will need to use as stiff and thick a strap as you can find otherwise you will have problems with your straps working well and not flipping over and the entire strap step system not slipping on you, I dont exaggerate by saying what you use for a foot support system will make or brake any web system you buy, unless you hunt private land and can use screw in tree steps, but if on public land screw in steps are not a option.

The advantages the web style stands offer are light in weight, super easy transport, built in safety harness, and you can hunt out of a less than perfect tree, IOW, you can hunt out of just about any tree large enough to hold you.

Just make sure a web system is a stand system you actually have a NEED for and will use and not a case of want VS need.

05-Oct-14
I own a Guido's Web and I think it would be a excellent stand for certain applications and excels when used on public land. However, if you have any shoulder injuries or any injury that has a affect on your ability to draw and shoot a bow, they will LIKELY be magnified by trying to draw a bow in a GW. I know this because my shoulder injuries forced me to adapt how I draw and shoot from my GW, I simply could not draw my bow normally as it caused to much discomfort.

Also if you need to pee, you will have to come down out of the tree. And if your GW gets soaked by rain or snow it will take several days to dry out, requiring you to wear rain gear on the dry days that fallow a soaking of your GW if you hunt using it, unless you can dry it quickly somehow that wont damage both your web and your dryer. If you hunt mostly public land you will have to come up with a public land legal foot support system. I was lucky enough to find some now discontinued Ameristep plastic tree steps and order a heavy duty ratchet strap to attach them to the tree. If you plan on using this type of foot support system, you will need to use as stiff and thick a strap as you can find otherwise you will have problems with your straps working well and not flipping over and the entire strap step system not slipping on you, I dont exaggerate by saying what you use for a foot support system will make or brake any web system you buy, unless you hunt private land and can use screw in tree steps, but if on public land screw in steps are not a option.

The advantages the web style stands offer are light in weight, super easy transport, built in safety harness, and you can hunt out of a less than perfect tree, IOW, you can hunt out of just about any tree large enough to hold you.

Just make sure a web system is a stand system you actually have a NEED for and will use and not a case of want VS need.

06-Oct-14
nick LOL

06-Oct-14
Let us know how it worked TODDY. Very interested to hear a report. Make sure you practice with it as much as you can, there is a learning curve to it for sure. It's not just install and get in it like a conventional stand.

Both in use and in set up it's very different than a conventional stand. Mostly you have to plan out where your feet are going to be, figure where to attach to give you the slack and and body angles you want. What lean the tree has as to how to set up. If you plan it right many times you can incorporate natural limbs. If you're going to be able to use 360 you need 360 around for your feet. Facing the tree seems to mess with those used to having their back to it as well. Pick up some good knee pads and you can use them to adjust positions for more comfort.

I know lots of folks that use them once or twice and never again. I know very few comfortable in them the first few times they use them. But once you start to get them dialed in and comfortable then you will see what the folks that use them a fair amount are talking about.

19-Oct-14
Well, I just got back from a two day hunt with the New Tribe. I had zero time to practice with it before hand which I was hoping to do. On the first day I didn't get set up until 11:00 am so I was only able to get a 7 hour sit in. The freedom of movement was great. The quietness was great both in stand and carrying it (No metal clanging on trees). Ease of use was easier than I was expecting. Takes some planning as stated above to where you put your steps for your feet. After the first day I gave it a 7.5 out of 10. Comfort was holding it back a little. It kept riding up my sides a bit and I would have to readjust about once an hour. Not a deal breaker but it wasn't the put you to sleep comfort I was hoping for. So on day two the deer movement was zero. I took the opportunity to work on the comfort. I messed with all the adjustments and still couldn't get it dialed in. There was a buckle I kept overlooking on each side for some reason. When I finally adjusted them it all fell into place. The comfort was great, it stopped the riding up and I felt like a machine. Ended up only sitting for 6 hours to go scout some new territory. I gave it a 9 on day two. Only thing left to figure out for me is where I can put a hand muff for keeping my hand warmers, where to hang my bow if I am in a lone tree (I was in a clump of oaks), a better system to hold my gear/food in stand. I used Lone Wolf sticks to climb with and I would like to figure out something lighter. Basically just refine my technique. Great buy in my opinion! TODDY

19-Oct-14

Boudreaux's embedded Photo
Boudreaux's embedded Photo
TODDY, Great to hear that you got the comfort figured out. Unlike the Treesaddle the New Tribe Evolution was designed with the ability to adjust it to fit you. With the Treesaddle, it either fit you or it didn't. With the Evolution you have the ability to adjust where the weight is distributed on your body. You can have more weight on your butt or on your waist depends on what EACH person likes. This is what sets it apart.

I worked with New Tribe to develop the Evolution. I tested 5 different prototypes over 7 months before the Evolution was complete. So I am slightly bias. Even though I was a pro-staff member for Treesaddle for 5 years. When they went out of business I was given to opportunity to work with New Tribe to develop a sling style stand that would be in production.

I am ALSO currently working with ODIN hunting products who will be making a strap on bracket that will work with there tree step. So hopefully we will have a better platform option in the near future.

Thanks, Boswell

19-Oct-14
How do you guys add clothes once it cools off?

20-Oct-14
I walk in with minimal clothes on so I don't sweat much if any. I carry all my cold weather clothes strapped to my pack and then dress at the tree. Then I will climb into my stand. TODDY

20-Oct-14
I purchased the Quido's Web, and so far have only used it a couple of times. It is definitely a different experience from my summit climber. I will be taking it on an out of state hunt to Ohio this weekend. I will get a lot more experience in it then. I sat it in for 4 hours and it's definitely very comfortable. setting up the top steps is very important and takes some getting used to but all and all I like it. I'll have a better review after my Ohio trip.

• Sitka Gear