rgb 24-Sep-14
snapcrackpop 25-Sep-14
12yards 25-Sep-14
rgb 25-Sep-14
bfisherman11 25-Sep-14
PAbowhunter1064 25-Sep-14
kellyharris 25-Sep-14
15-Sep-14
Hey Pat, I think we need to have a topic on why people should use the safety harnesses. Crap like this should not happen.

15-Sep-14
Agree 100% - matter a fact before every season it would be a good reminder for ALL.

15-Sep-14
I'll be honest and say I've never used one. Where I grew up hunting old school homemade stands they didn't exist

I've been researching them steadily this summer and WILL be using one from here on out

I've always just that bit of fear going up a stand, especially those frosty mornings.

I'd love to see some good info on harnesses and safety.

It easily could have been me fall from a stand.

15-Sep-14
Buy a good, comfortable vest or harness and make a few lifelines using a prussic knot connection. It's really that easy and you'll be safe. Use the lineman's belt when hanging your stands. One you get the hang of it all you'll wonder why you were so stubborn before.

15-Sep-14
For my 2cts, wear a full body harness and linesman belt while installing your stands and hook up before ever stepping onto any stand. Once your stands are set use a life line from the ground up. NEVER step onto a stand before hooking up!

15-Sep-14
This is likely due to poor planning on our part but I mostly hunt out of ladder stands and typically the tree's that we set them up in are very mature tree's so the trunk is too big to for either the strap to go around or too big to try and reach around to hook up. Has anyone else run in to something similar? What did you do?

Also, the vests I have are probably 10 years old at least, how do I know if I can hook up a climbing rope to it?

15-Sep-14
FYI

Cabelas has a HSS harness on sale right now. $40 off reg price. Sale price is $49.99, with the extra linemans strap.

15-Sep-14
That's a great deal show me. The safety rope is $30 by itself.

15-Sep-14
Vogie,

Set things up so that you can use an existing rope tied in a loop to pull a strap around the tree when you get into the tree. You have to strap the ladder to the tree anyway, so do it in advance.

15-Sep-14
Vogie.........

If you can get a strap around a tree to secure a ladder stand, I'd most certainly thing you could get a lifeline around that tree.

Use something to help get the rope around the tree. You'll think of something you can use.

15-Sep-14
Stiff heavy gauge wire to assist the rope around the large tree, or attach to a smaller branch or a large stainless eye hook.

15-Sep-14
Thanks for the suggestions! I have at times attached to a smaller branch.

15-Sep-14
So sorry to hear about the gentleman's loss over on the other thread...

Ironicly, there has been a recent surge in safety harness threads here and over on the LeatherWall, do a search...

Probably jinxing myself here but been in the telecommunications industry for over 34 years and rarely use a safety device unless really high like probably over 20 - 25 feet from bottom of my feet, depending on where and how I feel, but anyhow would personally rather fall at treestand height rather than stuck hanging...

What really scares me, is getting a foot caught in a tight tree branch fork and hanging upside down...

15-Sep-14
What is the recommended safety harness climbing harness for climbing stands?

I have 2 climber that are 20 years old (I inspect regularly) but I only have the strap that goes around the tree, then your waist and you scooch it up and down the tree as you climb.

Do you just shuffle the lifeline up the tree in the same manner except you have a full body harness? A couple years ago someone on bowsite game me and my daughter 2 harnesses that I use in our ladder stand with lifelines. I never thought about using it in the climber.

15-Sep-14

LC Archer's Link
Link to cabelas HSS sale. I have the exact harness. Fine quality.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunter-Safety-System174-Ultra-Lite-X-treme-Harness/1206161.uts?No=0&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsafety-restraints-harnesses%2F_%2FN-1102321%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104639580%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18

I won't climb a tree without a harness and a lifeline. Have them on all 15 of my stands. I additionally clip into a safety strap once I reach the stand as well.

I use the linemans belt with my climber too.

Hope this helps Dave

15-Sep-14
Zbone, I'm sure its a PIA, but a fall from more than 2-3x your height can have serious to fatal consequences. But you know that, right?

15-Sep-14
Not sure what PIA means, but when younger fell out of a couple trees, and cut out on a few poles too, and again, would rather fall at treestand height rather than stuck hanging... As said, it depends on the tree and how I feel in it, but my key words are "treestand height"... Now anything over 30 feet or so is a different story, but rarely climb above 20' due to shot angle....

15-Sep-14
Hockey dad It's recommended using the tree strap that you clip into with your carabinier and moving it up the tree as you climb up. Same procedure on way down. Lifelines are used in lock on stands once in place.

15-Sep-14
LC Thanks. I looked it up online, and its real similar to the "waist strap I have now" just shorter so the carbineer from the harness attaches to it from over your shoulder - Duh! Simple - and safer!

I don't use the climber but a couple times a year. Good thread as it got me thinking!

15-Sep-14
I am 70-years old and have been hunting from trees since before stands were invented. I am extremely lucky. I have come close to falling only one time. I have worn a device of some sort for over 30-years and a full harness for the last 15. I will not climb into a stand without one.

To not use one, in my opinion is just stupidity.

15-Sep-14
get a rock climbing harness should tie off before your feet ever leave the ground. and no you don't want to fall and hit the ground my neighbor fell 5 feet off a ladder at his house landed on bare ground the took him to er for breathing problem broken rib then a couple days later his kidneys and body started shutting down from the impact and trauma of the landing he never came home. why a climbing harness a regular harness will cut off circulation to your legs and cause more problems and death if you hang to long. a rock climbing harness will not do this.

15-Sep-14
Wow.....how could anyone prefer falling to the ground over having your fall arrested by a harness? It is my understanding (per a friend who does risk management for an insurance company) that 8 feet is about the threshold between likely to survive a fall versus likely to die. In other words if you fall more than 8 feet it is likely to be fatal. Please don't assume that you would survive such a fall!

The current ensemble of safety gear is well-designed and works well when used properly. Is it a PIA (pain in the ass)? Yup, quite frankly it is. But it's nothing compared to the PIA that being crippled would be, or the PIA to your surviving family if you die from what is a preventable accident!

Use a harness and a lifeline, and have a suspension strap available in case you fall and have to take pressure off of your legs while hanging. Make sure you have a way to communicate for help in an emergency, and make sure someone knows where you are hunting and when you should be back. Practice with your gear in advance and remove any guesswork about how to orchestrate everything. Stay connected to your tree at ALL times.

I am an IBEP Bowhunter Ed instructor, and one of the reasons I teach the course is to help folks learn ways to hunt safely, especially from elevated stands. Be careful and live to hunt again and again!

15-Sep-14
I have never hunted from a lock-on, but hunt ladder stands off and on. As I grow older, I don't like climbing into and out of them. I mostly hunt from my home-made ground blinds. The only downside is a lack of vision from them. I have a HSS vest, but have never worn it simply because it's too hot in the early season here and too tight to go over my winter clothes. I need to find one of the minimalist harnesses that will fit a 300 lb. guy and start using it when I hunt from ladders. Good thread !

BTW, I will donate the UNUSED HSS vest to the first person who PMs me and will USE it ! You pay shipping and it's yours.

15-Sep-14
I keep tossing around the idea of getting a controlled descent system to have on the tree. I haven't looked at them much and I'm sure they are pricey. ....but i would be a nice thing to have if hanging in a tree!

15-Sep-14
cant understand people will spend a 1000.00 on a bow 200.00 on arrows 500.00 on camo 300.00 on stands but frown on 200.00 for a good safty harness that could save there life.

16-Sep-14
rgb - What, are you a pastor too, to preach good from evil, right from wrong, the risks of tobacco and alcohol, etc, etc...

"if you fall more than 8 feet it is likely to be fatal"... Where are the stats on that... Dang, I must be living right or have nine lives...

I see your from TX, would like to see your demonstration of how to "Stay connected" at "all times" while climbing those metal tripod stands, especially those that ride around on the back of pickups...

Being the "instructor", what are the death stats of traumatic hanging versus those fallen onto a bed of leaves and soft soil...

I guess in this perfect world out there, everybody must do it politically correct, so we need to train our growing trees straight and limbless for 20' so they're easier to climb so we can stay connected to the trunk at all times...

16-Sep-14
Zbone, I guess you have been quite lucky thus far and I hope your luck holds up. If you wish to take maximum risk of injury instead of using proven techniques and gear to reduce risk, that's your choice!

16-Sep-14
Zbone, one of the most important steps in tree stand safety IS self-rescue. All harnesses discuss this. The "suspension strap" is to prevent suspension trauma.

16-Sep-14
Sure falls can kill or injure you, that is not the point I was trying to make... The point was all trees are created equal, and sure it would be nice to have the luxury time to set up all these safety features, but I try to hunt daily after work, even if its only a few minutes to a half hour or so and don't have the setup time to do so... Yes its the risk I take, just as it is to get behind the wheel of my car for my 2 hour daily commute... Its all about common sense...

16-Sep-14
"and don't have the setup time to do so"

Takes me SECONDS to put my harness on and get strapped to the tree.....your time must be way more valuable that your life...not sure how that's possible, but that's your logic.

16-Sep-14
they need to make safty harnesses, that matchs my camo, and not so many exposed black straps, and clangy buckles. with a one punch disconnect , in case yr hanging.

16-Sep-14
There is always at least one in every one of these kind of harness threads that disagrees and Zbone today you unfortunately are that guy I guess. ;o)

Quote; "1/3 of all hunters at some point will fall from their stand in their hunting career!" That is a provable fact. The risk of serious injury is high if you fall. That is a provable fact. The risk of death is a provable fact though it is lower than catastrophic injury but why even take the risk at all of either happening.

I can tell you why many hunters don't use them. It is for the same reason young men don't think anything bad could ever happen to them. Hunters that don't use them think "it wont happen to me" until it does.

IMO there is no valid excuse for not wearing a harness except "I just don't want to." If that's the case I respect a guys choice to do so but short of "I just don't want to" there is no other valid excuse IMO. This is just my opinion

I hunt mostly from the ground but I have never had a tree I couldn't wear a safety strap on and a vest when hunting from trees and I have sat in a few crazy trees in my day and helped set well over one hundred stands for friends and family over the years. If you use a climber I cant see any tree you would have an issue with. If the climber will go up so will the safety strap. If you have hangers with limbs in the way on the way up you use 2 safety straps on the way up to set it and then hook up a safety line once to your desired location so it is there and ready for when you go up the next time. If you have a ladder stand you hook in before you go up incase the stand falls over. Just my opinion and 2 cents. No stand or limbs or anything can prevent me from using safety equipment.

Staying attached at all times if a guy wants to is an easy problem to over come with a 2nd strap to get you over things. It hangs until you reach an impasse and then goes over the obstruction and hooks in and then you unhook the other and then once over and you reach the next you use the other and visa versa all the way up and you never have to be unstrapped if you don't want to be.

16-Sep-14
Anyone have a link to a lineman's belt they use….?

16-Sep-14
Speaking from experience, walking a mile back to the truck with 2 cracked ribs after "it'll never happen to me" happens to you is a real eye opener.

16-Sep-14
Guys, stop beating the hell out of each other. This is not what I started this thread for. People forget ever year. Just like when I remind you people about the TICKS on the the turkey site. We all need to remember that life can be cut short. What happened to that guy can happen to any of use. I work part time at Field and Stream. I had a young man come in today. He asked about the safety harness. I told him about them.He said I will think about it. He started to walk away. I asked do you have a wife and kids? Yes. I told him about this guy and what happened. I said one death is to many. When you go home tonight, show your wife and little girls what you bought and tell them you love them.

16-Sep-14

LC Archer's Link
Wild1

HSS Linemans belt that I use. It is included in the above safety harness that I posted.

Having treated many people over the last 20 years for falls from step ladders to tree stands, blunt force trauma from even just several feet is very serious. Liver and splenic lacerations, bilateral calcaneal fractures, spinal cord injuries and death--all are preventable from using a safety harness and a linemans belt or lifeline.

HTH Dave

16-Sep-14
Thanks Dave, appreciate it.

16-Sep-14
I had just a strap around my chest several years ago when my climber foot platform came off the tree. I was left out of breath and hanging. After a couple hours I was considering cutting my self loose and trying to ride the tree down like a fire pole. Just I getting up the courage to do it I was lucky and saw my friend and his kid come into the property. Thankfully the boy heard me screaming for for them. I ordered a full harness the next day and have not been in a climber since. Its a good idea to have a line with a prussett climbing knot to latch you harness to before you leave the ground. I know several guys who have fallen and had bad injuries from rotted old straps, and from ladders, climbing sticks or stands breaking during the climb.

16-Sep-14
Good luck Zbone, be safe and keep your fingers crossed...

17-Sep-14
Rayzor,

Wow. Lucky guy. Thankfully you were rescued.

I had an incident about 15 years ago that surely would have severely injured or killed me. I bought a climber and thought I would give one a try. I was rushed and forgot my safety equipment. I was stuck but made the poor choice to hunt from the climber anyway because I didn't have a blind and wouldn't drive back 3 hours to get my safety straps. I went up the tree and had to get up over the smaller tree in front of me for my shot that I knew would come because I picked the spot and knew it was great because it had deer there every evening. I was at least 23 feet up and saw I was good for my shots and was getting ready to turn around when disaster hit. My feet slipped out of the bottom as I pushed upward and I will be damned if the rope connecting the two section came undone and down went my stand about 8 feet down.

OMG I thought but I tried not to panic. That didn't work!I was on the top portion pushing upwards with my arms just like you would do if you were gonna keep going up. That's the position I was in when the stand fell. I stayed that way looking around and down for what seemed like forever. Finally I fatigued and had to drop downward to relive my arm pump I was getting. I then at the last "minuet" realized the stand was just below my feet and maybe I could reach it. I was stretched out hanging on by my fingertips. I was ready to let go and fall and take my chances. Well actually I wasn't really 'ready' but I didn't have a choice. Luckily I had an angel with me I guess because somehow I miraculously got one toe of my boots into the strap on the bottom portion at the last "second."

This gave me new life and I was able to shimmy the bottom portion back up about enough that I could take my weight off my arms and stand on the bottom platform. It seemed like forever and it was too. I stood there clutching that tree for at least 5 minuets and almost lost it. I shimmied the top part down and got down the tree and went home and have NEVER stepped up to a tree since without ALL the right equipment.

That climber sucked and was a death trap. I gave it to a buddy and he almost fell using it too. It was just unstable. We turned it into a hanger and he hung it in a tree and left it there. lol I have only ever used a climber once since then and would rather hunt the ground unless my kid is hunting with me because she like the stands. We are both strapped up better than just about anyone. I use over kill now after that.

17-Sep-14
Thankyou Hammer. you addressed the question that no one ever does when setting up a hanging stand on a tree with lots of branches as every tree that I've ever used does. YOU HAVE TO HAVE 2 CLIMBING BELTS.

17-Sep-14
Zbone,

While you are falling, you'll think of your family and how taking those few minutes would have been a worthwhile investment.

I had a friend who ran a tree service. He said that the most serious injuries they experienced were guys who fell from below 8'. He said that the guys felt that they didn't need to strap in when they were that low.

The guy who taught me to bow hunt lost his brother when he fell 7" from a tree limb.

The simple physics of the situation is that the force of you hitting the ground from a 15' fall, about average for a tree stand, is the same as if you stepped in front of a bus going 40 mph.

You continue to make excuses and tell yourself what you want. They will remember all you pithy little quotes at your funeral, or when they visit you in the nursing home.

TBB

17-Sep-14
Back on Topic.................. If you don't have a harness, this is good harness for a VERY GOOD price.

Cabelas, HSS harness on sale right now. $40 off reg price. Sale price is $49.99, including the linemans strap (Reg an additional $20).

Good Luck to all and remember.... We OWE it to the family at home who love us and rely on us.

Not using a harness is selfish, plain and simple.

17-Sep-14
http://www.treehopperllc.com/shop/treehopper-3-in-1-climbing-belt/

This is the linemans belt that I use. I hang the stand using this belt , drop a lifeline then hook to the lifelne with a rock climbimg harness. Always hooked up going up or coming down.

17-Sep-14
I use the Seat-of-the-Pants harness. Very Light goes either on top or under your coat. It does not hinder any movement and I forget I have it on.

Speaking of falling; I fell at work from "several" feet up. It latterly changed my life, physically.

It busted me up so bad, I spent 2 months in a hospital, 2 years of physical therapy. I cannot do things anymore that most take for granted.

The fall never hurts, it is that sudden stop that does. And do not forget about hitting something on the way down or landing on an object.

17-Sep-14
Zone your style hasn't changed one bit!

Still posting comments for shock value reaction I see.

You would rather fall 15-20 feet rather than using a harness??? I'm calling BS on your idiotic post!

Do you guys remember the young man who fell last year and chose to not be on any type of support or be a quad? His cousin works with me and is on my hunting club. They were favorite cousins and if you saw Eric's mood the entire season you would all wear a harness.

To be so selfish and not care what you would leave your loved ones left feeling is nothing but a lack of respect for the love they have for you!

When we hang stands I use my summit to assist installing the lockons when i can. I always wear my harness when hunting or installing stands....

17-Sep-14
ZBone seriously you are blasting a guy from (assuming) he hunts out of a tripod stand?

Do I need to repost the photos you posted on bowsite a few years back where you shot at a doe from inside your house?

Oh yes the guy to smart to fall forgot to open the window up before illegally shooting at a deer from inside your house? The best part is that you actually posted those photos and described your ethical hunt step by step on the Ohio forum!

What was your comment it was not hunting it was killing for sustenance? Oh yeh you live in Ohio not Alaska!!!

You sir are my poster child of SLOB HUNTER with your BS shock value seeking comments and hunting ethics!

Those who live in glass houses should not cast stones!

17-Sep-14
Mr harris, you need to review your notes of your falsehoods, you're a dic and I won't even respond to you... but while you other guys pile on, let ask - Do you think they used safety harnesses back in the day before commercial treestands.... I've been hunting out of treestands for over 40 years, heck used to make permanent stands before commercial ones readily available. Now that was some dangerous work pounding nails up a tree while holding lumber without any kind of a climbing or safety belt... Then along came Baker Climbing Treestands. The best thing since sliced bread. Don't even know how many times I cut out on those contraptions. Then started climbing poles for a living with the phone company a bunch of years... Sure I've had my short falls and cutouts and fortunately, no serious injuries, but now today being old and fragile, I'm much more cautious than back in the day, but as said, the point I was trying to make it depends on the tree and the height as to whether I'll strap in or not if I don't feel safe... Personally think some of those who rely heavily on harnesses and such may become a little careless with the feeling of over security. Some of those complicated setups I've seen have flaws... It's benefitual being and staying alert up there as to what your doing, and these harnesses should be the last resort just in case you do fall...

Last year bought a Black Diamond rock climbing harness but hadn't felt the need for it yet, although another year older and weaker, I'll likely use it this year with a safety tether rope and Prurssiic knot, but will not climb with one of those lines... Was taught by the company to climb hand over hand with the 3 point system, and not using the climbing belt until you belted in once up the pole. Too late to teach this old dog new tricks, so I'll strap in once up the tree if need be...

If you guys jinx me and I fall this year, I'm gonna haunt you...8^)

17-Sep-14

HockeyDad's Link
Wood - I don't think you need 2 belts, you just need 2 straps/carabineers from the belt to attach to safety lines.

A note about falls. I work for a mining company, and we are required to do safety training every year. Each year, we have several new "instructors and their families" that provide insight into safety. These "instructors" are the folks who have died or been seriously injured on the job in the past year.

The common thread through almost every incident year after year is that it is normally not 'the new guys' that get hurt its the older more experienced folks who have become 'comfortable with what they are doing' and took a shortcut to save time/effort.

17-Sep-14
We'll I had this argument with my buddy for the longest time, I was pro harness and he was not. I finally won the argument,however he probably never knew I won it. My long time friend and hunting buddy has two beautiful girls 6 and 8 and a lovely wife, a house and a good job. Went out hunting October 7 of 2012 and at 5 am he was in his stand ready to start his season. At roughly 5:05 he was at the bottom of his tree dead, broke his neck on the way down. I did not go on that hunt that weekend and Sunday night at around 7 pm he was found, yes Sunday night. A knock on the door at his home around 830 came and it was two police officers informing his wife that he was never coming home, dead from falling out of his stand. His attitude was that since he always was in a pine tree he didn't need a harness because he could just grab a branch, not hardly. Ironic that it's the pine tree that killed him, breaking branches all the way down, had he been in a hard wood he may have survived the fall with just a broke leg or? For anyone who thinks that they will not fall is a FOOL ! Yes a FOOL. You owe it to your family to be safe while out hunting and when your 10/15 FT plus in the air your are in danger, grave danger if you fall.make sure your life policies are paid up guys so that your family won't be in the poor house because your dumbass was to lazy or whatever the reason is that you don't wear a SAFETY harness. Is it ego or a threat to you hunter image that prevents you from wearing one? whatever the reason it can't be worse then dying or being a quad or paraplegic the rest of your life and really putting a burden on your family. Hell at least if your dumbass dies your wife will have a bunch of dough and can go find a new husband, maybe one a bit smarter than the last. Today's harness are so easy to use and they work so why not save your own life and save your wife and kids a lifetime of pain, don't be so selfish.

17-Sep-14
Unfortunately, there are as many who climb without fall protection as there are who drive without seatbelts. Go figure, fall protection runs from 50 to 200 bucks depending on what suits your taste, a hospital room runs about $12,000 a day take your pick. I have seen people who buy the best in bows, sights, arrows and heads only to cheap out on hang on stands and screw in steps. I guess the thought process is "if I only get one hunt in it will be a good one". When you bring this conversation up to some they always say "not me, I am always careful and have been doing this for a bazillion years". Russian Roulette with five loaded cylinders, your number is coming up the only question is when. As others have said their are people who give a sh#% about you so why include them in your soon to be agonizing state? Some of my friends in the medical industry can feed you stories all night long around the campfire, none of them have happy endings. All things being equal, if the fall doesn't kill you the hospital bill will.

17-Sep-14
" Do you think they used safety harnesses back in the day before commercial treestands"

Who cares!

Again...... '1/3 (it's actually just over 1/3) of all hunters will fall from their stand in their hunting career suffering serious or catastrophic injury or even death'.... If you had odds saying you had a 33+% chance to win the lottery each week would you play? I probably would. Well get ready because at some point your number is coming and when you slip or a strap breaks or whatever you can keep telling yourself all the way down that you will not be in that 1/3.

Over 1/3rd of all hunters WILL fall. That was true when I was a kid it is still true today. Difference is today you can strap in soundly and push the odds to almost 0% of "dying" if you slip or a strap breaks etc. This bull that wearing safety equipment could make you careless or complacent is just that. Its Bull. I wear a harness and it has only giving me a sense of security that when I finally slip again I wont die from it and might just get a bump or 2. I still am very careful and just as careful as before. In fact even more carful because you are minding your safety equipment so safety is in the forefront of your noggin.

Wake up Zbone sir. We don't want to eventually read a thread that you have slipped and fell. Who cares what you have done and others have done in the past and who cares where you worked and what you were told 30 years ago at the telephone poll co. Things have changed now. Safety equipment is better now and odds of death if strapped up right go to almost zero.

One more thing. If some IDIOT reads your post and chooses not to wear a harness due to bravado and/or faulty and misguided words from you and he then falls you will end up being the one haunted!

17-Sep-14

Zbone's Link
Hammer - Talk about bravado, sounds as you believe your opinions are the only one that counts.... geeesss

"faulty and misguided words"..... Not hardly, only past experiences... BTW, didn't I just say I bought a rock climbing harness....

http://youtu.be/yceXR7VK1Yc

Here is mine:

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-harnesses/couloir-harness-BD651039_cfg.html?gclid=CjkKEQjwqsCcBRDt7_Gts5a91YYBEiQAm-wYEWxjwWn_r_YxzKx2RBziLCvBtISshUXwYGMRnyyRLeXw_wcB

If any "IDIOT" falls its no one's fault but their own, I'm only haunted by past blown big buck opportunities...8^)

I like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NcroPLbzPc

17-Sep-14
Well as the saying goes, "Stupid is what Stupid does".

17-Sep-14
I hauled a guy out if the mountains elk hunting a few years back that fell out of a stand. They were packed into a canyon on the back side if the ranch I hunt on. He forgot his harness at camp and thought one time won't hurt. Help asleep and fell 20 feet. Lucky to be alive. Ruined his buddies hunt. I spent a day getting him out in my truck starting at 10 pm. Nice guy and was a shame to see how much pain he was in.

17-Sep-14
Archery95, that would be a third of hunters that dont wear a harness. Those falls include the ones that dont result In injury and might be easily forgotten or too embarrassing to talk about due to the stupidity.

17-Sep-14
The funny thing is a lot of us guys work construction work up high without safety equip. I actually hate to wear a harness while working.

However i do wear a shoulder harness that has a d-ring in the back while hunting.

I often figured if a treestand goes in will go quick. and with nothing but thin air to grab onto, There is a reasonable chance you might not be able to land on your feet. Don't know, and don't want to find out.

I'm going to say this though. If you are not in good physical shape. And are not physically fit enough to get yourself spun around and shinney down a tree, then you probably shouldn't be up there.

17-Sep-14
I'm 18 and have been hunting since I was 11. I use mine on occasion. The problem I have with them is the noise they make and the hunters safety system interferes and limits my shooting range. Yes, I should wear one, but they are spendy and they are just a hassle. My dad's friend fell out and is now paralyzed from the waste down. I'll have to maybe save up and try out some new technology.

17-Sep-14
Archery,

1st off I didn't say 1/3rd would fall this year!

I used info from a previous study I viewed a couple months back when I had a similar thread. I believe I cited it in that thread. Several states have done these studies and found that just over 1/3rd of all hunter will "at some point" fall from their stand "over the course of their hunting career" suffering injury or even death. Those that fall that die if I remember it right is 3% but those that suffer bad injury is quite high. Not everyone that falls suffers catastrophic injury or death but the numbers don't lie and it is not worth the risk and anyone who would make an excuse about not wearing one is out there IMO. If they don't want to wear one then that's one thing but there is no valid reason other than I don't want to"

I believe you can find the study on the net under Pennsylvania if I recall.

Zbone,

"sounds as you believe your opinions are the only one that counts.... geeesss"

No it is not just my opinion. There are studies to back it up. My opinion is I hope no one reads this thread and decides not to wear one due to what you have said.

17-Sep-14
MathewsZ7MN try a rock climbing harness. I attach the safety rope to the tree just above waist height and can shoot 360 degrees without interference from the rope.

17-Sep-14
Don't rock climbing harness's attach at the waste? You're talking about using one for booking a tree and not as a safety harness?

17-Sep-14

No sir it was not from any harness CO. I discounted the 1 or 2 I saw from them because it could be skewed to try and sell product. What posted if I recall was a state study. I think F&S had an article saying the exact same thing too.

17-Sep-14
I know 60 year old men that still insist they don't need a harness and climb without them...pretty sure I'll be posting about one of them one of these days.

I haven't climbed one inch up a tree in 20 years without a harness on and consider myself lucky to have never had a close call. I love my SOP.

17-Sep-14

Sounds to me like they did a study and found that in the sample group that over an entire lifetime of hunting that 1/3rd of all those hunters fell and suffered injuries.

Think about it....You have 100 hunters that hunt for 40 years. 33 of them will slip and fall or something will happen that will make them fall at some point. The study also said that the vast majority that fell did so when going up into or coming down out of the stand. Not many fall from the stand itself though some do for various reasons.....I did know a guy who actually walked out of his stand once and live to tell about it. The big dummy tried to get a better shot and actually stepped forward a little and poof. How dumb is that. lol

Hell I don't hunt stands a lot and even have slipped a number of times and was just lucky to keep ahold but had I not I would have not fallen to the ground. Most guys in my climber situation would not have made it out w/o falling. I was just wayyyy lucky on that one or I would be in that 1/3rd who was injured or killed.

I do not find it hard to believe at all that 1/3rd of us hunters will fall at some point in our hunting career. I will say the study made no mention of how high or the average height the falls came at. They only said the vast majority that fall are on the way up and down.

Look at it this way....Believe the data or don't and wear a harness or don't. It is what it is and it's better to be safe than sorry

17-Sep-14
Does it really matter what the studies say or don't say?

If you hunt from a tree stand, it is possible that you may fall due to such things as equipment failure, tree failure (e.g. branch breaking when stepped on), or human error. Likely? That is debatable. Possible? It is possible every single time you go up.

The point is, will you be prepared to minimize your risk of injury should something unexpected happen, or not?

No one knows when or if an accident will occur. And it is probably safe to say that most will never need a safety harness to arrest a fall. But isn't it better to have it in place, just in case?

18-Sep-14
After reading some of the responses above, I know why I'm somewhat unfeeling when I hear about tree stand accidents. I work at heights every day, and understand the dangers. It's never been easier not to get hurt or die by falling than ever before. It just amazes me how these "Marlboro Men" continue to defend their right to defy facts, and common sense. I wish them well.

18-Sep-14
95, there was a member who posted that his father fell with just a waist belt/rope and died. It happens every year.

18-Sep-14
At 14 feet up I stepped off onto a hang-on stand I had just hung in a big oak two seasons ago...the stand broke loose and headed to the ground in the smallest part of a second that you can imagine. I bloodied my fingers digging into the bark of the big oak...but I only slid down about a foot....I got smart a few years back and started a personal campaign to always be tied in...my rock climbers harness and tether line saved me from who knows what kind of injuries. The heavy nylon strap that held the stand on the tree was still in tact...it was the stitching that held two sections of the strap together that had rotted over the years and gave way.

18-Sep-14
I'm 65 years old and have been bowhunting from tree stands for over 40 years now. I've fallen twice. The first time I was using gaffs climbing down a hackberry in the dark. My right gaff kicked out and I fell. Had a climbing belt on but wasn't using it as I felt it slowed me down and I had some limbs to go around as I climbed down. I thought that if that ever happened I could just grab the tree quickly and shinny down. Forget that!! Things happen too quickly. I must have fallen from about 10-15 feet, hit a limb on the way down that sent me down head first. I remember thinking, "Tuck your head in." I had a lock on stand on my back and landed on the back of my head and my shoulders. I recall lying on my back staring up at the stars through the bare tree limbs with the breath knocked out of me trying to get some air. I thought I was dying. Through the grace of God I was finally able to catch my breath and assess my injuries. I had a big knot on the back of my head from hitting the tree stand on my back and mud ground into my scalp. I somehow hurt my right calf but luckily had no broken bones. I hobbled out of the woods a wiser man. The second time I fell I had nodded asleep a couple of years ago while sitting in a lock on stand. I woke up toppling off the right side of my stand but my SOP harness did it's job and caught me. Actually, my feet never left the stand, I was hanging horizontally and was easily and quickly able to get back on my platform. Both of these episodes were very exciting but I prefer the outcome of the last one. You think it can never happen to you. I promise you it can.

18-Sep-14
dizzy,

I bet you were no longer tired after that 2nd one. lol..Wide awake and alert after that one eh? Thank God you didn't get badly hurt.

18-Sep-14
Yep. That will wake you up quicker than any 5 hour energy drink.

19-Sep-14
Just bought a HSS rope tree strap, and am going to get a 3-pack of life lines from Cabelas.... as I was doing a search on prussic knots, I noticed that they specify that the knot rope should be no more than half the diameter of the life line.... my HSS knot rope is the same diameter as the life line... seems to grab okay. Was just wondering why they recommend the half diameter yet a well known company is making them the same diameter...

19-Sep-14
I've always used the harness but now use a lifeline or a climbing belt and a harness rope to hook up above the stand so I am still connected when I disconnect the climbing belt to get above my stand.

19-Sep-14
How did I miss this! Two of bowsites most "special" posters on one thread, forcing opinion down throat.

19-Sep-14
dg72A

I climbed for years doing tree work and utilizing the prussic knot the whole time and I always tied my prussic knot onto a line of the same diameter. I can see that the knot rope could be of smaller diameter, but my years of daily climbing experience say that it does not need to be.

19-Sep-14
Thanks Muskrat.... kinda thought it must be okay as HSS uses the same size. Not questioning them by any means...

22-Sep-14
Found out some more about my Dad's death from his fall, both from the coroner, from talking to my brother who found him, and from visiting the stand he fell from.

1. We don't know what caused the fall. It may have been a medical condition, or he may have just fallen. However, the fall itself was not survivable.

2. We do know he fell. His injuries indicated a fall.

3. That morning he had refused a safety harness and instead tied a rope around his waist and then tied that rope to the stand platform. This created a fall of about 6 -7 feet with a sudden jerk at the end. At 220 lbs, I don't believe that fall would be survivable by almost anyone. We did not have an autopsy done, but he either suffered massive internal injuries, a broken back, or both. He most likely, at the time of the fall, had the knot around his waist either to his side or in front of him based on how he had it tied to the stand platform. You just think through that for a moment ... of what a rope connected in that way would do to a human body from a fall of 6-7 feet when it came to a sudden stop. If it was in his front, it would have almost surely broken his back. If to the side or on his back, the internal injuries would have been devastating.

4. We know my dad survived the initial fall and remained conscious for at least a short time. He had made his way back so that his body was outside the ladder (it was a ladder stand), as if he were going to climb back up. He then slumped through the steps on the ladder, still tied to the rope. After his slumping through, he took off is facemask and gloves and laid them on the ground. He then succumbed to his injuries. This is how my brother found him. We do not know how long he suffered. That is what haunts me the most.

5. The night before, he had a conversation with a friend about how he had never fallen out of a tree stand. He definitely did not think it would happen to him. He was dead less then 12 hours later.

I truly hope every one of you thinks through the physics of a fall if you do not have a full body harness. My dad never did. The force of that fall, all put on that rope around his waist ... with a sudden jolt after 6-7 feet ... not even a 20 year old could survive that in most cases. No doubt my dad would have been here today had he just worn a safety harness.

I've worn a harness for years, with ground to stand safety lines in most of my stands. I plan to upgrade most of them this year and add a step relief loop so that I can relieve pressure from the harness on my legs in the event of a fall. This too can kill you. No reason not to be safe out there.

22-Sep-14

snapcrackpop's Link
Tragic.

MathewsZ7MN here is a $25.63 harness you can "save up for"... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J0W4Y92/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

23-Sep-14
I use my harness every time I go into a tree. My favorite and most hunted stand is a lock on. I have lots of screw-in steps, but no life line.

I want to use one so I'm hooked up going up and down. What I don't get is how do you move the knot up or down without letting go of the steps? Anyone have a good video showing this? I'd really like to see the safety line in action....and use it.

Thanks

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14

23-Sep-14
Kurt - You can use a Lineman's Belt to stay connected to the tree in the situation you described. With the belt around the tree and connected to your harness, you can lean back a bit to "engage" the belt and let it connect you to the tree. Then your hands can be free to move the tree rope or strap up or down the trunk. So in this situation you maintain 3 points of connection - each foot is on a step, and your Lineman's Belt connects your waist to the trunk.

24-Sep-14
Thanks for the video and posts, now I can 'see' it. Need to tie off the bottom of the safety rope...I wonders about that, too.

I have a linesman belt I can use with my harness. Be safe!

24-Sep-14
I use a linesman's belt with my HSS harness. The problem I have is that I hang and hunt my lock on stand every time I go hunting. So I can't use a lifeline. I'm safer than I used to be with my linesman's belt, but since I don't typically hunt the same tree all the time, I don't have lifelines.

24-Sep-14
12yards, so you don't have any safety rope in the stand? Just the linemans for going up and down?

24-Sep-14
If I had stands set all over for the whole season, I'd have lifelines on them. But I don't. I hunt mainly public land and I take my stand in and out with me every time I go. I rarely hunt the same tree twice. Unless trees start growing lifelines, I'm out of luck.

24-Sep-14

snapcrackpop's embedded Photo
snapcrackpop's embedded Photo

snapcrackpop's Link
Put one of these in your pockets. Buy one or make one.

Climb up (lineman's style) then throw this around the tree and clip in. SAFE

24-Sep-14

Here is how I do it with a climber, but it also shows the prussic knot and climbing harness.

24-Sep-14
Just stay tied in from ground up and back...

24-Sep-14
Why can't you use a lifeline, even if you only climb once? While using a lineman's belt to stay connected, you can adjust the lifeline up the trunk (or down when descending) as you go, and have it attached to your harness's tether strap. It does not necessarily need to be tied to the tree at the bottom; its main purpose is keeping you tethered to the tree from above. If you are only going to use the stand once, then yes it may add time to your climb and descent, but it will still add value to your safety approach and is certainly doable.

25-Sep-14
I think there is confusion. What are you using for safety while sitting? The lineman's belt?

25-Sep-14
I do attach my tether to the tree once I am in my stand. I just don't have an attachment to the tree besides my linesman's belt as I climb up and down. I could do what rgb suggests, but what a PITA. At some point all of the attaching and reattaching and fumbling around moving lifelines and linesman's belts around limbs and what-not as you climb trying to stay safe is making you more unsafe.

25-Sep-14
I agree guys, it's a PITA! But you only need it to work that one time when you unexpectedly need it.

The value of moving a tree strap or lifeline up or down the trunk as you go, is that if you fall off of your steps, it can arrest your fall. If you are just using a lineman's belt, yes you are still attached to the tree and able to do hands-free stuff, but it is not designed to arrest a fall. If you fell while using just the belt, you may or may not hit the ground as the belt would likely snag on steps, but I bet the experience would be very unpleasant. Would much rather have a fall stopped from above via being tethered to a tree strap or lifeline.

Not trying to sound all preachy about this, but just trying to explain there are techniques and options to minimize risks. It is of course up to the personal preference of the hunter to decide how much, if any, to utilize.

25-Sep-14
Here is a thread that pretty much tells you why a full harness is a good idea.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=4&threadid=435174&MESSAGES=156&FF=4#3872052

Bill

25-Sep-14
When I was 17 years old, I thought I was invincible, too. I never wore a safety harness, because only sissys needed them. One evening hunt during rifle season, perched in a ladder stand 15 feet high my whole outlook changed. I sat there with my Marlin 30-30 perched on my lap... the kind with the push button safety, and the hammer safety. Of course, I kept the button on fire, and the hammer cocked back...they just made too much noise if a deer came by. It wasn't long before my eyelids starting getting heavy, and I started nodding off. I awoke myself a few times, and thought i would be fine. The next thing I remember, is falling and somersaulting to the forest floor. My gun must have slipped through my hands, and started its descent before me. I landed on the rocks below me....frozen in shock, and i couldn't move. The wind had been knocked out of me, but all I could do is scream for help. I had no feeling in any part of my body, though I could feel some warm gooey fluid pooling up at the back of my neck. My father who was thankfully hunting nearby, ran to me as fast as he could. He then scooped me up in his arms, and carried me out of the woods, and laid me in the back of his pickup truck. He drove like hell to the closest hospital emergency room. I still had no feeling from the neck down. I remember him praying, I could hear the tears in his trembling voice, and I know he blew through every red light to get me there. The whole time I laid there, I thought about how different my life was going to be, from that point on. How now my family will have to take care of me for the rest of my life. I'd be in a wheel chair, I wouldn't be able to play basketball, and I definitely would probably never hunt again. What hurt the most, was the fact that all of this could have been avoided, if I wasn't too macho, too arrogant, too ignorant, to lace up three buckles, and strap into a tree. Hours later, laying in the emergency room after cat-scans and x-rays, I finally started to regain some feeling. I fractured my tailbone, and screwed my back up pretty bad. I received eight stitches in the back of my head, which I assumed was from hitting my head on a rock. It was only later, when dad went back into the woods to retrieve my 30-30, that he found a piece of my scalp on the end of my gun barrel.

I have no room, no acceptance, and no pity for anyone of you who come on here with the macho bravado, and preach that falling from a treestand is a "freak accident". The year is 2014...we are too intelligent to not only wear one ourselves, but to strongly encourage others in our ranks to do the same. What I learned the most from that day, is that wearing a safety harness isn't just for my safety...it's also to protect your loved ones from alot of undue agony, pain, and grief. Hunt smart, my friends.

25-Sep-14
Archery95 no on the two life jackets but most folks can swim also. I do not know to many people who can fly?

• Sitka Gear