pirogue 18-Sep-14
Rick M 18-Sep-14
Drummond Lindsey 19-Sep-14
Mule Power 19-Sep-14
Franzen 19-Sep-14
JW 19-Sep-14
XMan 21-Sep-14
18-Sep-14
I don't want to start a Ford VS Chevy thread but would like some honest opinions from you guys regarding high end binoculars. I really had my mind set on purchasing a pair of Swarovski EL 10X42 Swarovision binos. I have wanted these for years. While at the counter, I asked to compare the Cabelas Instinct Euro HD 10X42's side by side. I went back and forth between the two for the better part of 45 minutes and my personal opinion is the Cabelas brand was a tad more clear. Both of them appear to be fine optics. Cabelas are made in the Czech Republic by a company that makes a lot of military optics. The Swaros have always had the reputation of being the best their is in the opinion of a whole lot of people. The guy in the store said I could come back in late evening and we could walk outside to compare the two in low light situations. I walked away with nothing. The Cabelas are about half the price but I really do not want to short change myself in terms of overall quality of the optics. Have any of you faced this same quandary? I would just like the opinion of some of you folks as I know there is a ton of experience out there.

18-Sep-14
If you've wanted the Swaros for years, if you don't buy them, you'll always wish you did.

A lot of these "other" optics compainies have narrowed the gap to the big three, so the pricing issue can be a big deal. I've never heard anything bad about Cabelas "Euro" optics.

Go back and check them out at low light and make your decision.

I always say, buy the best...when you do, you'll never wonder what it is like to own something "better"...The Cabelas Binos may very well be a quality product but trust me, if you've always wanted Swaros, you will eventually get there!

18-Sep-14
I have a pair of the EL's and they are a great bino for sure but they do have limits, not magic and at times you need a spotting scope. To really test binos IMO you need to be outside in all conditions to see how they work in snow, rain, fog, low light, I know that's not easy. Never tried the Cabela's. At the price of EL's today and after owning a pair I don't think I would spend that kind of money on binos again but I would on a Sworo spotting scope.

18-Sep-14
Optics aside,the Swars will hold their value 10 fold better than the knock-offs and you don't have to wonder about if the company will still be around in 10 years.

Buy once,get the swars.I have some El's I bought the first year they came out and sent them back 2 years ago and for $100 they replaced about 25 different items (inc objective lens).

I very possibly could sell them for more than I paid 12 years ago....

18-Sep-14
Thanks for the insight guys. Kota-Man, I think you nailed it. If I don't get the Swaros, I will probably regret it for long while just because they are the ones I really wanted. The thought of spending an additional 1100 bucks is against my nature but I ain't ever seen a coffin with hip pockets on it.

18-Sep-14
We have EL 10x42s I bought for around $1800 in 2008. They are wonderful.

18-Sep-14
I love Cabelas, but there's no comparison between their quality optics and Swarovski esp., not to mentio Leica, Nikon, etc.

For sheep hunting, buy the best you can afford. That would also apply to open country Muley hunts. For other hunts, good quality more reasonably priced optics will work just fine.

18-Sep-14
If you have got the funds, buy the Swarovski's. Then enjoy them for the rest of your life!

18-Sep-14
buy once cry once.

18-Sep-14
This is not a Ford vs Chevy. This is a NO comparison. I bought a pair of ELs in 2004, sold them this year to upgrade to the. New EL and got $300 more than I paid for them. Quality items appreciate in value.

18-Sep-14
How much time do you spend behind glass? Swaros are great glass but the gap is closing. Warranty is also very important.

Try them at low light, and decide what is best for you. Personally I love my Zeiss at less than half the price but I did have to send the first pair back for repair. They replaced them for free with the HD glass.

19-Sep-14
The Cabelas Euro HD's are a fantastic binocular made by Meopta. Meopta is doing some incredible stuff right now and I am a believer in the company.

IMO the Euro HD's ( Meopta MeoStar) are more comparable to the Swarovski SLC's. They are a little heavy but built like a tank and they are crystal clear and tough. For the money I doubt you will find a better glass.

The EL's are a better binocular but you will pay quite a bit more for them.

19-Sep-14
Pirogue beat me to it: This isn't Ford vs Chevy. That might be Swaro vs Zeiss.

More like Harley Davidson vs Schwinn.

Get the ELs and don't look back.

19-Sep-14
I wouldn't buy the Meoptas because I'm pretty sure Cabelas raised the price on them like $200-$300 since last year for what appears to be no other reason than to give the impression that they are more of a high end binocular, and oh maybe the "Instinct" label. I don't believe the glass is any different, but I could be wrong. They may have a sale on them at least.

I guess its not as bad as when Vortex raised the price of the Razors like $500+ in one year due to a little popularity. I was set on those until I saw the incredible price jump. I think at least they did go from non-HD to HD that year. I think.

I'm glad I got my Zeiss at the beginning of the year. I may be done for life.

The Meopta's were somewhat attractive at the lower price point (and then on sale), but with the current price I saw, I wouldn't buy them. Good luck with your decision. It's mighty scary for a working man to even consider buying Swaros.

19-Sep-14
This working class guy bought 2. 8x30s for midwest whitetails and 10x42s for out west. With new bows at nearly 1000$, arrows nearly 200$ a dozen, new quads nearing 10 grand, etc, I find it ironic when folks skimp on optics. Buy the best once. My kids will be using mine long after I'm gone. Take care of them and they'll last forever. Best warranty out there as well.

21-Sep-14
Yeah I agree, this definitely isn't ford vs Chevy. Use them at low light when it really matters, I promise you they are NOT the same glass or technology! And in ten years if you decide to sell them, those Swaros will still be worth close to what you bought them for and if they break, you have an unparalleled warrantee!

• Sitka Gear