dgb 18-Sep-14
Russell 18-Sep-14
Cajunarcher 18-Sep-14
Neubauer 18-Sep-14
Mark Watkins 18-Sep-14
Bou'bound 18-Sep-14
SteveB 20-Sep-14
18-Sep-14
Folks, I'm looking at buying the Kuiu down jacket but am concerned about whether the shell is quiet. I hunt with selfbows and trad bows so I am generally within 20 yards of anything I shoot at - so noise is critical. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

18-Sep-14
I own one and love it...for the right application. It works best to pull it out of the backpack (like 8 oz) and through it on after hiking when you stop to glass. It works as a mid layer (although still louder than I would like) for late seasons, but would never make it as the outer layer in your application.

Mark

18-Sep-14
I love mine and always carry it. It's a little noisy but not too bad, quieter than a rain shell for sure. I find it too hot to hike in anyway so I only use it when I'm glassing or the weather really turns cold...

18-Sep-14
Mark hit the nail on the head.

18-Sep-14
Thanks guys - this is extremely helpful!

18-Sep-14
Used mine last 10 days in AK chasing moose. Carried in pack and worn when needed during long hrs on setup and at night in camp.

Worked great.

18-Sep-14
Yep I just used mine on a BC goat hunt. Love it ! Very lightweight and packable and what Mark said is right. Just not a jacket for the actual stalk with a bow .... Lil too noisy for that

18-Sep-14
I just can't understand for the life of me why these companies can't come up with a QUIET down jacket for bowhunters.

18-Sep-14
Neubauer, you are 100% on target!!! As to why they don't make one is my guess is that it has to be a waterproof shell to protect the down. Down is downright dangerous (as in worthless) when it gets wet! Kuiu's first gen puffy was a synthetic and it's shell was much quieter.

Mark

18-Sep-14
That's exactly right has to be waterproof I don't know any down outerwear that I would trust in wet weather in arctic weather yes were waters not an issue

20-Sep-14
I agree its a tad noisy but a great piece that's easy to carry for when you really need it. I almost always carry mine. However, the shell doesn't need to be waterproof....the down is waterproof and still works when jacket is wet. Videos on line that prove it, a guy actually wears it in the shower. An amazing piece and worth owning.

• Sitka Gear