Archer829 20-Sep-14
Bou'bound 20-Sep-14
kota-man 20-Sep-14
Bou'bound 20-Sep-14
TD 20-Sep-14
Bou'bound 20-Sep-14
kota-man 20-Sep-14
18-Sep-14
Looking for Opinions as to which KUIU rain gear is the best.

18-Sep-14
Chuguch

18-Sep-14
Yukon if you're hunting and walking through heavy and/or thorny brush and/or on horse back. Chugach for more open country and back pack hunts.

18-Sep-14
X2 what Tilzbow said.

18-Sep-14
I have the yukon, my hunting partner the chugach. Yukon is a bit heavier material, tougher and a bit quieter. Chugach packs down better, lighter. Both great rain gear.

The Yukon is hands down the best rain gear I've owned. Even in the warmer weather it works very well, very breathable and well vented. Lives in my truck when it's not in my pack. Used it a great deal this year.

19-Sep-14
X3 tilzbow

20-Sep-14
how does the youkon compare in weight, wrtmth , and bulk to the DCS Guide Series jacket, pants, and vest. is it comparable but waterproof, lighter, heavier, etc?

20-Sep-14
For backpack hunts, Yukon jacket is my main outer layer on top. Chugach pants are in the pack in case of rain. The Yukon jacket is so breathable, in my opinion there's no need for a separate, softshell jacket anymore when weight is an issue.

If I were buying rain gear for hunting around home, fishing, etc. where a few extra ounces weren't a big deal, I'd have both the Yukon top and bottom.

It's amazing stuff!

20-Sep-14
So is the Yukon lined with fleece or anything

20-Sep-14
No, it's just really heavy material Grant. Compared in weight, it weighs the same as the Chugach and Guide together, so carrying/using the Yukon as your only layer replacing a softshell doesn't save you much weight, but it does save you having to carry an extra garmet. Bulk is about the same as the GUide jacket, but the Guide jacket is a hair warmer due to the lining.

The Yukon is heavy duty rain gear. If you are going to wear a jacket constantly in wet conditions, the Yukon is the ticket. If you want packable rain gear that is going to spend a majority of the time in the pack, go with the Chugach.

I've gone both ways...ie - leaving the softshell at home and relying on the Yukon as the "do all". If the conditions are cold I would much rather wear a softshell and pack light rain gear. But when conditions are warmer and I really don't need a softshell, or the conditions are soggy all the time (AK, Newfoundland) I like taking the Yukon.

20-Sep-14
Thanks I appreciate accord I'm going to buy both

20-Sep-14
No liner just a heavier (and a bit softer/quieter) material, roughly 10 oz heavier than the chugach and only a couple oz heavier than the guide jacket if i remember. But IMO more breathable than my buddy's lighter chugach. The thicker material doesn't transfer the cold right through it like most raingear does.

It's heavy/tough enough to go through very wet brush, rainforest and stuff where even if not raining, unless you are wearing raingear you are going to get soaked. But the problem is a good deal of raingear will not hold up to it.

Lots of folks dropping the soft shell jacket in fall/late fall conditions. You can save weight/bulk and have a system that is a good deal more versatile by adding a puffy (mine is a first lite, just so folks know I'm not a kuiu fanatic...). The puffy is a good deal warmer, lighter and more packable than the soft shells and normally only wear it when stopped/inactive, glassing, around camp. (and makes a pretty good pillow) It's too warm when moving. But IMO the soft shell jackets are too warm when active as well. I use a merino base and as necessary layer up a merino mid weight (or a favorite microtex heavy shirt) and a merino vest when active. I like vests, they don't interfere with your arms, very quiet and keeps your core warm. All this vents and breaths well and hopefully don't sweat through. When you stop in colder stuff the puffy goes on.

The Yukon is on when wet or a cold stiff wind cutting through things. Perfect for that and in those conditions any extra noise isn't a factor. I've worn it with just a base underneath or layered up though the vest. Worst case it goes over the puffy as well, although i haven't gotten there yet.

Found if you can stay dry and cut the wind it's much easier to stay comfortable no matter the conditions. Yukon does that anywhere I can think of.

20-Sep-14
Great info thanks

20-Sep-14
Can't go wrong with both! But you REALLY NEED all three :)...

• Sitka Gear