jesse m 22-Sep-14
INbowdude 22-Sep-14
INbowdude 19-Oct-14
Bou'bound 19-Oct-14
INbowdude 19-Oct-14
'Ike' (Phone) 19-Oct-14
INbowdude 20-Oct-14
18-Sep-14
After 14 years of trying, I drew a unit 25 Shiras moose tag. Leaving in 3 weeks and I'm wondering if I get fortunate enough to bag a moose, how many coolers would I need. Driving from Indiana and I'm not sure I'll have time to get it to a processor in Wyoming unless I tag early.

Also, any advice would be most appreciated. Going with Bald Mountain outfitters on their wilderness hunt.

Thanks and good luck to all this season.

Mike

18-Sep-14
Mike, Good luck on your hunt, hopefully you'll need the coolers. I shot a pretty big (according to the CDOW) cow Shiras moose this year and it worked out that I got it processed while I was in Colorado. The processed meat filled up two 105 qt coolers. I'd think that a bull would be 30% or more bigger so plan on at least 3 coolers.

Can't wait to see the field pictures when you get one down.

18-Sep-14
Brought mine back to Indiana from the Bighorns in two large totes. I had mine processed and frozen. Packed all my camo and sleeping bag around the totes. Two days and one night of travel with no serious thawing.

19-Sep-14
Good luck Mike! I will be arriving for a private land hunt with them the following week. Hopefully our paths will cross and you can tell me about your hunt before you go.

19-Sep-14
Just get a one or two 150qt Igloo coolers and you'll be fine! I would bone it out probably fit in one.

I was up I that area and they were rutting a little. Good luck!

19-Sep-14

Sandbrew's embedded Photo
I'm not sure what kind of pygmy moose some of you are shooting. I know for sure my shiras moose bull when processed was not fitting in 1 150 qt cooler let lone 2 150 qt coolers. My bull was 487 lbs of meat returned from Steve's no special orders just steaks and burger. To be safe I'd say at least 3 150 qt and a few more smaller coolers as well.

I can fit 4 cow elk quarters in one of my 160 qt coolers at 160 lbs with a little room to spare for ice.Those 4 quarters and a back straps weighed in at 160-180 lbs at Steves on the bone. I can fit 2 bull elk quarters in the same coolers. 1 moose boned quarter will fit in my 160 a bone in quarter will not with out the leg bone sticking out.

Here's my brother (6'1" 230ish) the pack mule with a rear 1/4 on his back and one back strap in his hand. Don't forget a cooler for the cap and the rack should fit in any cooler. Unless it's a Yeti 420!

My 2 cents,

19-Sep-14

19-Sep-14

19-Sep-14
I shot a moose in Newfoundland this year (Sept. 1). Processed and frozen, I put it in 4 Rubbermaid tubs (not coolers) and flew it back on the plane to Colorado. The meat was still frozen after being out of the freezer for about 12 hours. The basic tubs had zero insulation - 70# of meat per tub. Also had some meat in my duffle bag with my clothes that also stayed frozen.

You may want to save money by buying tubs and lots of ice - as needed. Since you are driving, cover the tubs with your coats or sleeping bags for added insulation.

Just my insight.

19-Sep-14
I might add that my brother was with me in Newfoundland and he did the same thing with the tubs. Only he is from Billings, MT - but drove to Colorado and flew with me from Denver.

When we landed in Denver, he loaded his tubs with meat in the back of his truck and drove 8 hours to Billings. He stopped at a rest area and slept which added another 3-4 hours to his drive.

His meat was in the tubs for over 24 hours - in an airplane cargo area and in the back of a pickup.

Still frozen when he got to Billings - he simply added some ice on the drive.

Again, just my experience and 2 cents. You can get by much cheaper than you may have thought.

19-Sep-14
Why not build a cooler out of sheets of insulation and duct tape after you kill one and its getting processed?

Good luck on your hunt. I was moose friendly in AK.

19-Sep-14
I recently ran into a new line of moose specific coolers at the local Bass Pro store. I was surprised there was a demand for such a limited use item. They were offered in 3 sizes.

Shiras

Canadian

Alaska Yukon was the big one.

:)

19-Sep-14
Inbowdude, just wondering what part of Indiana your from?,

21-Sep-14
Thanks guys. New question: What types of knives did you use to skin and quarter your moose. (And don't say sharp!)

Jesse M, I live in Danville just west of Indy.

21-Sep-14
Dang Mike,

You going to find a sub to teach???

Good luck on your hunt!!

Don

22-Sep-14
Inbowdude, your not to far from me. I live human n Trre Haute!I will be headed out the 29th for Vermont. My guide that I hired has guide for quite a few yes. & he told me to bring a minimum of 3 120 qt coolers. Hopefully that will help ya.

22-Sep-14
Good luck Jesse, keep us posted.

Hello Don! My trip will be during my fall break, so I'm finally catching a break from the teaching gig. Not enough time to get to Alaska but at least I'll be moose hunting.

Thanks for the info guys. Best of luck to everybody this season.

19-Oct-14
Well gang, it turns out I didn't need the coolers anyway. Good hunt just not one that I brought home meat. Thanks for the input.

19-Oct-14
See any?

19-Oct-14
A few. I was hunting public land and wilderness. Weather was unusually warm.

19-Oct-14
Did you go outfitted?

20-Oct-14
Ike, yes with Bald Mountain Outfitters out of Pinedale Wy. I hunted unit 5.

• Sitka Gear