Rick M 19-Sep-14
smarba 19-Sep-14
loprofile 19-Sep-14
Bowfreak 19-Sep-14
Bou'bound 19-Sep-14
Rock 19-Sep-14
Knife2sharp 19-Sep-14
18-Sep-14
How much will be lost from a green gross measurement to a dry gross measurement on a Pronghorn? Also....I had no idea how to measure one and took a look at the score sheet on the P&Y website. This seems like an animal that is difficult to measure properly. I measured my buck being what I thought was conservative and I wouldn't be surprised if I am as much as a couple of inches off either way. FWIW, I came up with 70 0/8 net. When I killed it (a year ago) the taxidermist measured it and said it grossed 74-75 inches. I have no idea if he or I know what we are doing. :)

19-Sep-14

WesHunts's Link
I've read they shrink as much as 6-8% from their green score, but Ron Rockwell has much more experience, is a P&Y measurer and said that it's usually no more than a couple inches on a 70+" goat. That being said, why not look up an official P&Y measurer to learn how its done AND get a score you can be confident in? I'm in the same boat as you. Green.

19-Sep-14
I plan on it. I know a guy in Southern Ohio that is a measurer. I never was really interested in having an animal entered but I would like to know what the official score is. I have a few animals I am going to take him to measure.

19-Sep-14
I've heard a couple inches at most.

19-Sep-14
5-8% shrinkage.

It will take about a 72" green score to make a 68" measurement, the P&Y minimum.

Speaking from experience here.

19-Sep-14
It just depends. I have had some that were almost 3 inches and others that were less than an inch with exact drying conditions.

19-Sep-14
Mine have typically been around an inch per side, but a lot of that could be due to difference in my 'green' score vs. the official score. I have had one that got bigger when officially scored, but I was very conservative when I green scored him.

19-Sep-14
Man was I off on what this thread was about!! I was gonna say it depends on how cold the water is and what the good lord gave you to start with:)

Antelope 5% max seems about rite.

19-Sep-14
Is this a George Costanza reference?

I'm no expert, but given that horns are made of hair, rather than bone like elk or deer, and a lot softer material, I would expect to see a fair % loss after drying.

19-Sep-14
The famous shrinkage episode was replayed the night before last - a classic for sure.

19-Sep-14
archery95,

I am taking 2, 3 heads at the most. The guy is a friend and doesn't care in the least to score them.

It seems that I am not that far off base then. If the taxidermist was close, then I am too. The gross was 71" so give or take for our inaccuracies and it looks like I am somewhere in the ballpark.

19-Sep-14
keep it wrapped in moist paper towels for 60 days and you will minimize the loss.

19-Sep-14
Bou'boud's idea will probably work some but just for your information if you plan to enter it into P&Y then the drying period of 60 days starts once you remove the moist towel.

19-Sep-14
Horns are like wood. They start to shrink when no longer living and begin to dry out. Pronghorn caps can be removed by microwaving about 2-3 minutes. Or you can remove them after submerging in water so they swell, like wood. This can be done for larger horned animals, accept buffalo. I have no idea how to remove buffalo horn caps. But after I take them off and clean the cores, I use gun stock oil on the black or dark ones and lemon or linseed oil on opaque or light colored horns. This helps to keep the sheen and not look dried out over time. It may help to cut down shrinkage, but I've never tested. In theory it can't hurt.

Don't overdo the oil, just one liberal coat is fine. You won't be disappointed and really makes them look good without adding an unnatural look. I have horned mouths for several years and they still look alive.

• Sitka Gear