SANDMAN 25-Sep-14
Bou'bound 25-Sep-14
TD 25-Sep-14
XMan 26-Sep-14
Bou'bound 23-May-15
Ermine 23-May-15
deerman406 24-May-15
20-Sep-14
Why should I consider switching from four-inch vanes or feathers to blazers for my fletching choice

20-Sep-14
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

20-Sep-14
the only reason,,, we're guys, it's in our DNA to tinker with things. broke or not. killed just as many animals with 4" vanes, but I made the switch to blazers and those animals continued to die at the same pace.

20-Sep-14
You shouldn't. I never cared for Blazers and tried them twice (old and new). FlexFletch FFP-360 or SK-300 for me.

20-Sep-14
Switching from vanes to feathers will improve your FOC. I typically shoot four, three inch feathers on my deer hunting arrows.

When I'm hunting from my treestand, there's less movement and less chance of making noise if feathers are accidentally brushed.

Hunting from the ground I have a totally different set up that includes three blazer vanes.

20-Sep-14
If you do switch make sure that you fletch them with 3 degree helical. They fly awesome. You should notice a difference when you shoot fixed blade broadheads. I switched a long time ago and haven't looked back. It also slightly increases FOC compared to 4 inch plastic vanes

20-Sep-14
Blazers are tougher than any other vane I have ever tried. If you shoot through a bail, blazers won't lose their shape as easily as flex fletch or others. If you have the clearance,fix blades fly great.

20-Sep-14
Only if you use a WB rest. Otherwise there's not an advantage. Not enough to notice anyway.

20-Sep-14
I like the small high profile vanes. I think they shoot great. Work we'll.

Flex fletch flash vanes work well also

21-Sep-14
I shoot feathers but of the vanes I've tried Blazers shot best.That's with a QAD drop away rest with the long arm.

21-Sep-14
Shoot both when wet and see what you like best .

21-Sep-14
Bou,

I would only consider changing from Blazers to vanes or feathers for 2 reasons:

1. I was experiencing flight issues with a setup using Blazers.

2. I was bored and just wanted to do some experimenting.

Otherwise, if it ain't broke- don't fix it !!

21-Sep-14
The blazers hold up real well when shot through a target, very little if any damage to them. Other than that, there really is no advantage.

24-Sep-14
Do you guys that use feathers ever hunt when raining ? Have you ever shot feathers when wet and watch the water fly off not to mention what it does to accuracy ?

24-Sep-14
I've never shot a Blazer vaned arrow. My feathered and 4" vaned arrows fly great. I have my backup bow set up with the vaned arrows and my primary bow is set up for feathered arrows. If it is supposed to rain, I just take my backup. To be honest, the only reason I've been tempted to go all plastic is the cost of feathers now days.

24-Sep-14
There are way's to deal with rain/feathers.You can use Scotchguard or Bohning's powder on them along with a cover of some sort.I use a side quiver and just put a small plastic bag over to cover the feathers.At worst they're only exposed to the rain while raising/lowering from a tree stand.I have the same quiver bracket on my bows as on the side quiver.

24-Sep-14
Hey Bou'bound,

Not sure what fletching jig you use, but I use a single, RH helical Bitzenburger. Had it for decades. I am also shooting the small diameter Easton AXIS arrows with HIT inserts. I find it is tough to get the helical I want using longer vanes...so Blazer with its 2" length work really well. Lots of helical and excellent broadhead stabilization. Plus they are durable as hell.

When I do actually see one of my arrows in flight going away from me, it looks like a high-speed drill bit...lots of rotation.

Not sure how you would compare without some kind of test equipment or high-speed photography, but I'm assuming (again with a small diameter arrow) that the shorter Blazer would out rotate the longer vane.

Anyway, I switched years ago and have never looked back...and like azarchery said, the animals continue to die at the same pace!

24-Sep-14
Blazers are LOUD. Much louder than a low profile 4 inch vane. Stand down range and see for yourself. There are no advantages in going to a blazer. God Bless

24-Sep-14
Blazers aren't nearly as loud as feathers, in my experience. I think feathers sound cool, which probably isn't a good thing for hunting. I', shooting blazers and 4 inch vanes until I run out of vanes. I rarely shoot broadheads over 40 or 50 yards, and for whatever reason they impact the same. longer shots with target tips show my blazers dropping a little tiny bit less, and they seem to group just a bit tighter for my shaky-old-man shots.

I like the way the Blazers look on my arrows and I like how tough they are- and they do shoot my Slick tricks really well, so that's why I think I'll continue with them. however, I do have one major debate with myself over the issue- for arrow recovery, the longer vanes give you a bigger bright - colored object to look for on the forest floor. Glowing nocks are not allowed in my state, so this is a bit of a big deal. worth considering, if your state is the same.

24-Sep-14
If you are interested in experimenting with fletching systems and happen to use a drop away rest you might give FOB's a try. There is a website, Starrflight.com I think, that explains the theory. I've been using FOB's for about ten years now and have seen no reason to go back to more conventional fletching systems.

25-Sep-14
They are higher profile, the added height gives a bit more leverage vs the same surface nearer the shaft. The stiffer material doesn't deform as much at the higher speeds of high performance bows.

But that higher profile can create clearance issues with some bows and rests. The stiffer material and higher leverage also puts greater stress on the shaft attachment (glue).

The stiffer material will hang up more on the far side of the animal they are coming out of. Depending on your outlook that could be an advantage or disadvantage. Normally they fall out on their own down the trail, the arrow that falls out is easier to find than the one that blew through and buried under the grass or smashed into the rocks.

25-Sep-14
I appreciate the various input no one has provided a compelling reason why I would change from my current approach. My preference is for 4 inch feathers and they represent three of the four arrows in my quiver. The fourth Aero in case I find myself in a very bad wet weather situation is a 4 inch vane. I have found point of impact to be no different at the ranges that I shoot

25-Sep-14
What do you expect when you ask a rhetorical question

25-Sep-14
I had no particular expectations.

25-Sep-14
The vanes over feathers.... that's an entirely different spec sheet... =D

26-Sep-14
Blazers are far more durable but that's it Bou. No reason to switch unless you are walking through lots of briars to hunt :)

23-May-15

23-May-15
I've had issue with blazer vanes with contact.

I've found flex fletch vanes to be a much better vane. Thougher and holds shape even after going through targets.

24-May-15
Funny, I can shoot a wet laid down feather off my recurve just as well out top 20 yards or so. Bow is bareshaft tunes perfectly. Even feathers in the rain off a compound are not bad if you keep them somewhat dry and you have waterproofed them or use goose feathers. Shawn

• Sitka Gear