VaUplandHunter 21-Oct-14
greenmountain 22-Oct-14
Mad Trapper 23-Oct-14
Shiloh 23-Oct-14
Boris 23-Oct-14
WausauDug 23-Oct-14
Boris 23-Oct-14
25-Sep-14
I had some extra Cabelas Points that I wanted to use up......so I purchased two Moultrie 880i cameras last week.

They arrived two days ago....so I set up one of them that day. Checked it yesterday, and it had 3235 photos!! One of the settings is to take a photo every tens seconds, which is the setting that I feared that I had left it set at....but that was not the case. I had it set at the setting that should have taken a photo every ten seconds AFTER DETECTING MOTION until no motion was no longer detected.

I called Moultrie this AM, and they asked me what direction the camera was facing....because they said that the motion of the sun could trigger the camera to take photos. Does that mean that Mountrie cameras should only face North when used in the northern hemisphere (insert sarcasm here).

Then they asked me what type of memory card was in the camera. I had a SONY card in at the time. They said that the SONY card could responsible for the high number of photos, and that I should use LEXAR or SANDISC memory cards.....yet the operating manual listed no preferred card types. I can't believe that the memory card would tell the camera how and when to take the photos....instead of the motion sensor.

I am going to try a SanDisc card today. If that doesn't solve the problem, I guess I'll try to find a set-up where the camera faces N-S versus E-W, but that sure seems ridiculous.

I would appreciate any input from others that have used these cameras, or faced similar challenges....especially if you figured out a solution.... Thanks.....

25-Sep-14
I think PIR sensor has gotten better on cameras and during the warm months when it sunny, the camera is warm and brush can easily trigger photos. This explains why when it faces East you get false photos in the morning and facing the West you can get fals photos in evening. North is best for the camera to be shadowed by the tree the most of the day.

25-Sep-14
I've had had some issues with different brands of cameras facing E or W being triggered by the sun but not like your situation, however, I didn't have the setting set to trigger that frequently.

Not any grass or branches causing the issue?

BTW I tried the Moultrie 990I for the first time this year & so far I really like them.

25-Sep-14
Jake, I have a bunch of Moultrie cameras, two of which are the M880is. They take a lot of pictures too. I have one set up on a food plot and get a picture ecery 3 minutes. I think the shadows or breeze cause it to trigger. If I scroll through it quickly, it looks like an old movie, LOL I don't know what the fix is, but just look at it this way,,, you'll neven miss anything. :-) Take care, I know this didn't help at all but,, what the heck. Peace, Jay

25-Sep-14
Pat,

Since Nancy actually setup that camera, I will be sure to pass on your comments.....

The cameras weren't near a cornfield, or I would have informed Ned. Then CRO film reviews would have been a blast!!

25-Sep-14
Ha!! That made me laugh Pat. You two apparently know each other well!! Can't wait for a return serve from MM.

25-Sep-14
Shiloh,

Return serve in previous post....I must have posted just before you....

18-Oct-14
I also bought the 880i trail cam & works good ,set to motion 1 min intervals no problem ,bought a second cam . they also have excellent battery life.

18-Oct-14
Cabelas has the 1100i cameras on sale for $170 right now. 60 bucks off.

Also, as I have seen the reference to Ned & the cornfield in more than 1 thread in the past, I myself & possibly other bowsiters that are not privy to the story, would be interested in the details.......I think!

How bout it guys?

18-Oct-14
Just hook up a deep cycle marine battery with a cheap solar charger so you don't replace batteries every few days and let er rip them pics. You will know for sure what's moving. It might take you a few hours to get through them all every few days but hey....lol

These new cameras sure are sensitive and can also do cool things. My buddy mistakenly had his cam set on that time-lapse mode and had 1000's and 1000's of pics of the bushes and nothing else. lol. My new stealth cam has a similar feature but I always keep mine on the 9 pic burst modes or video mode because where I have it set up the time-lapse mode seemed inappropriate.

My newest stealhcam will take pics of nothing even in burst mode if the wind is just ah breezing and sometimes even when its not. It is very sensitive and moving its location helped. I also found I can change the sensor or quality setting and it doesn't seem to do that as much

Hope you figure it out.

19-Oct-14
Not to highjack your thread but does every camera out there show full battery power all the time and then 2 days later you check it and the battery is dead? All mine do that. I think I still have a lot of battery power and the battery indicator shows it is full and then poof the batteries are dead.

Cameras are better and better these days but they still have room to improve even though you need to read a manual to figure out how to use some of the features. I give it to my wife to figure out and then say "show me honey" lol

19-Oct-14
Hammer what brand are you using? I had some old stealth cams that do that but all my others dont.

19-Oct-14
t-roy,

I would suggest that you send Ned (loesshillsarcher) a pm asking him to explain the specifics.....

19-Oct-14
MM, a sony card will work in a moultree, I have two and both work fine in my moultrees. I interchange them with sansdisks.

19-Oct-14
I have an 880 and my only complaint is the lousy pics it takes after dark. If the deer is past 10 or 12 feet, I don't see it.

19-Oct-14
I have an 880 and my only complaint is the lousy pics it takes after dark. If the deer is past 10 or 12 feet, I don't see it.

19-Oct-14
Ok Jake!!

19-Oct-14
Jdouin,

Stealthcam. 2 of my brand new ones even do it. lol

My buddy has a Moultrie, stealhcam and a cheap tasco and all 3 do it.

I just figure it is normal. lol

20-Oct-14
There is a firmware update for the 880i on Moultrie's website too. That will usually fix any problems.

21-Oct-14

FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
Most problems with cams taking too many pictures is because there was a branch or grass that moved in the breeze in front of the camera. Make sure to remove these and your issue will go away.

21-Oct-14
great camera, first camera i've used that doesn't scare older bucks

21-Oct-14

VaUplandHunter's embedded Photo
VaUplandHunter's embedded Photo
Here is a picture from my Moultrie 880. I am very satisfied with the results for the money. I have not had false trigger issues at all. I also do not set it for anything less than 1 minute.

Good luck with your camera concerns. Let us know how it works out for you.

22-Oct-14
My 880 never took a picture of a buck like that.:)

I had problems with mine and Moultrie replaced it. I am quite hopeful.

23-Oct-14
I understand that Ned has purchased camo that will make him invisible when in the corn. He may trip your camera, but you can't see him in the picture. No tell what he is doing.

23-Oct-14
Good return Jake.....I'm sure the lady will appreciate Pat's comments;)

23-Oct-14
Here is my problem. When I change the sd card, it will not read the card in my computer. I even bought new cards formatted them, I even reset to manufactors setting and started over with the quick set-up.But, when I pull the camera and plug it into the usb port, I get pictures. Now I did follow the manuel and the youtube set-up an it is still doing that.I like the pictures that I get, but would like to swap out sd cards and not have to bring the whole camera home.

23-Oct-14
Boris, don't format the cards thats probably the issue. Always decline formatting

23-Oct-14
The new cards I did not format. The older cards, that are about 2 years old an worked great in my wildgame cams I did. I don't know. Frustrating.

• Sitka Gear