MDcrazyman 30-Sep-14
Eddie Bauer 30-Sep-14
TurkeyBowMaster 30-Sep-14
TurkeyBowMaster 30-Sep-14
LINK 30-Sep-14
MDcrazyman 30-Sep-14
TurkeyBowMaster 01-Oct-14
26-Sep-14
How about a thread with Steve sharing each of his deer hunt reports this fall. Each outing he comes on and gives us an update. Kind of like a AL Live Hunt after the fact with a focus on next level strategy and interesting things learned.

Steve you up for it?

26-Sep-14
I admit....it is time for me to try some next level thinking. Low level thinking hasn't worked so well for me.

26-Sep-14
Do IT! Please

26-Sep-14
Speaking of Next level thinking...I finally have it figured out....If you stay awake for 4 days straight, you will have it down.

26-Sep-14
Only bad thing about any TBM threads is the haters will screw it up. Mike

26-Sep-14
I disagree Florida Mike. The best part about TBM threads is the banter. Generally I find online disputes a turn off... but the banter on TBM threads is like slowing down to check out an accident on the highway. You know you shouldn't want to look... but you just have to.

26-Sep-14
Florida mike. X2

26-Sep-14
Hey Will, "banter" is mostly what I do with some of you guys. Most of what gets spued out towards TBM is disrespectful, negative and overall distasteful. I don't like to see disrespect even if its warranted. But thats the main problem with the internet, it makes Napoleon wannabes ten foot tall and bulletproof. Oh well, I guess its like my momma always said, "it is what it is". Carry on, Mike

26-Sep-14
Florida Mike, good post. You sir have hit the nail on the head.

26-Sep-14
For pure entertainment a tbm deer hunting thread sounds good , might even learn something if I can make sense of the posts

27-Sep-14
where is the responise from tbm on this request for an encoure performance.

27-Sep-14
I love reading about a series of bad shots - respectfully of course.

27-Sep-14
The problem with next level in the world of bowhunting is that most of today's bowhunters wouldn't know next level if it bit them on the leg. I promise you that.

Take a group of the 20 most recognisable archers and put them in a room and let them chat amunst themselves. Have the owner if Simmons broadheads walk in and ask for their attention and give his spill about his heads. He could tell the a guy from Alabama just killed a quartering elk and shot all the way through the bull after passing through the shoulder blade bone. Keep in mind that this is a 1 9/16 " diameter head with a bleeder. There was a 2" gash in the shoulder blade bone and the bleeder remained intact through the bull. Within 5 minutes after he left none of these top notch bowhunters would be talking about anything he said and none would purchases so much as one pack to try.

Next have a Ping representative come in and claim they have a driver that will guarantee them 100 more yards off the tee. Out of the 20 fifteen would order the driver that night and the other five would fight over the one on display. 2 hours later golf would still dominate the conversation.

Biwsite proves my theory all the time. Have the nation's too turkey Hunter go to Montana after elk and it will be a 500 post thread. Have the beat elk hunter go to Alabama after turkeys and itvwoukdnt hit 200. There would be good luck...kill a bunch..etc for the elk hunter. For the turkey hunting guy from Alabama there will be you don't stand a snowball chance of killing an elk.

The problem is in reality...if Vegas knew hunting the way it knows sports, the odds of this particular Alabama bowhunter of killing an elk would be 1 to 2. The odds of the elk hunter killing a turkey while hunting exactly like he does while elk hunting is 1 in 487,000'000. Should the elk hunter kill one nobody would recognise how great an accomplishment. Should the turkey hunters kill and elk then he would have 'arrived".

I could go on and on.

27-Sep-14
Thank you for your detailed missive TDM please answer the question if you're going to run a 2014 deer season diary or not. One thing to consider on the elk versus turkey is a lot of people actually care about hunting elk many find turkey far less interesting

27-Sep-14
Bou, since you asked, I think you should pay him per word for his writeups. For every made up word, he gets a bonus for creativity. :)

27-Sep-14
"I could go on and on."

yippee

27-Sep-14
Please no...

27-Sep-14
Bou, how about a detailed 2014 dairy of all the DIY hunts you did or are going to do this year. God Bless

27-Sep-14
No thanks. God bless you as well.

27-Sep-14
I will deer hunt some but will pass more than I did last year. Freezer full of elk. Will be going for bucks and hunting the best days. Might kill 5 but no more.

29-Sep-14
Do it TBM!

29-Sep-14
There would be nothing exciting about BigDan, Dan Evans or any other perennial elk master slaying turkeys in Alabama is why it would not reach 200 posts. Their posts would be coherent complete thoughts that were not double or triple posted. Their posts would not be controversial or played up to generate response. These elk masters also don't have "haters" that facilitate the controversy. All this means less posts but hey I'll take quality over quantity any day.

29-Sep-14
Since TBM delivered on a challenge, perhaps one of the enamored elk hunters should be challenged to an Alabama turkey hunt? That would be fun to watch.

29-Sep-14
just becasue a bluegill fisherman caught a muskie does not mean the musky fishermen need to take up bluegill fishing.......or should be interested in doing so

29-Sep-14
But if the bluegill fisherman was challenged to try muskie fishing because of how much harder it is, and he gets one, it would seem only right that those muskie fishermen who challenged him would have to fish his specie in return. Again, just for kicks. Seems fair to me. I love muskie fishing. Took my son up for the weekend and we boated 5. Way too hot in WI to hunt. 4 of the Skis were dinks, but my son got a decent one (38").

29-Sep-14
Alabama turkeys hunted with bow, without decoys or blinds would destroy every bowhunter on bowsite wheather they post or just look. A million if them could converge on Alabama and Mississippi public land and would not kill what I call a bunch. They would leave here in the fetal position..and have the mindset of sharing a cell with a gay Mike Tyson in his prime. If Alabama turkeys was the only route to continue bowhunting, the entire US would be hunted by only 4 or 5 guys. Since most can not relate to tough by any other means than physical part of it, then Alabama turkeys would be like hunting elk where mountain goats live with the weather of musk ox...that might get you a fourth of the way to the degree of difficulty. Winning the lottery is just a little harder...not much.

29-Sep-14
Some people are just full of themselves. Its pretty funny to think the turkeys in alabama are smarter and harder to hunt then anything else in the country.

29-Sep-14
getting you to show a little humility is tougher than winning any lottery.

29-Sep-14
We are to be nice to TBM or we will receive 25 PMs with not so nice warnings!Oh sorry i did anyway!I call it fan mail.

29-Sep-14
I would feel embarrassed to hunt turkeys with a bow....It would be like hunting my wifes geraniums.

29-Sep-14
"Since most can not relate to tough by any means than physical part of it"

C'mon Steve. If you really think that Alabama turkeys have honed you to be an incredible mental and physical bad azz, I say prove it. Put yourself to the ultimate test. Marry my sister in law.

29-Sep-14
I dont get worked up by TBM. I find him entertaining- most of the time. I also find it entertaining that some cant stand to hear from him, yet bou will poke at him knowing there will be a response(Ha, see that, aint i clever). Ive got a lot of respect for big dan. He doesnt care for the antics, but instead of prodding, he just ignores. Dont like it, dont read it, simple.... Im stoked he killed an elk, but not because of the haters hating. A fair amount of the time, he asks to be hated. Im glad he got an elk because he is a fellow hunter. Just like i wish everybody else here good luck in their adventures. Having said all that, a tiny bit of humility would be nice, just to show hes human. Its slightly condescending to repeatedly make guys like me who are very proud of the 4 spring birds ive taken by bow in PA since i started trying it in 2008 feel like they have achieved nothing. I use a blind, i use decoys. Im not the best caller in the world, but when it comes down to it, the only thing i cant do with a turkey call but really wish i could is gobble. I feel very confident in my calling, though in all honesty, my scouting, patience and setup has killed me more birds than calling. And 3 of my birds had 11 plus inch beards and over 1-3/8" spurs. Im not bragging, i know im blessed to have a great place to hunt. But i battle year in and year out with other hunters on this farm, the birds arent stupid. So it does sting a bit at the repeated mention that my birds up here are fish in a barrel. I feel i work hard to scout and hunt them and a turkey bow harvest is very special to me for many reasons. But it also stings to hear that some guys dont even fool with turkeys because they as a species are fish in a barrel compared to big game in the west. Ive never hunted the west, or alabama. My path in life will probably never put me in either of those places, those through reading threads on here, my heart pumps like im there with u guys on your hunts. I was captivated by TBM's hunt. There were some things he said that didnt sit well with me, and his defense of those statements bothered me a bit more. But they r his words and feelings and its not my place to tell someone how they should feel. Im glad that some guys are all in for him, but i understand the guys that arent. Like i said, i am most of the tine entertained. But sometimes feel belittled. I believe he tries to ruffle feathers a lot. But in my opinion, a llittle humility here and there would make it easier to believe that.for the true haters, iIf more ppl would be like big dan and go cold turkey on it, u would save yourself some stress and prob would result in less feather ruffling comments. Off my soapbox i go, good luck to EVERYBODY out in the woods.....

29-Sep-14
"Some people are just full of themselves. Its pretty funny to think the turkeys in alabama are smarter and harder to hunt then anything else in the country."

"There would be nothing exciting about BigDan, Dan Evans or any other perennial elk master slaying turkeys in Alabama"

Slaying turkeys in Alabama with archery gear on public land is really not possible using the natural methods that can be effective for elk...by that I mean calling or sneaking, no blind or decoys. If 2000 of bowsites best elk and turkey hunters converged on the deep south and spent 10 days hunting we might see 5 turkeys killed...Probably less than that. You have to consider that most would not call in more than 3 in the 10 days. It usually takes around 20 to 30 encounters to get one shot and that shot is often not a good quality shot and even if it is a turkey has small kill area so it might take 60 opportunities to make one dead...that's about as good as it gets.

Blindless and decoys proves better...but not as much as you think. It would probably get the kill up to 1 in 10 so the numbers would climb. Blinds and decoys would prove effective to the point of 1 in 5 so every other Hunter should kill one in 10 days . That's if each Hunter can get 3 opportunities in a week...Most will not...not on public.

30-Sep-14
After thinking about it the above is unrealistically optimistic. Out of 2000 hunters probably 20 would get 3 opportunities... opportunities mean a Tom within range. Another 40 would get 2, and maybe 150 more would get 1 chance. That is around 300 opportunities. Blindless no decoys would turn those 300 chances into around 10 kills...blindless with decoys would yield better opportunities and possibly more opportunities so we might see 30 birds killed using dekes. Blinds and decoys would yield less opportunities because turkeys spook so often from the combination, but the shots would be better quality so we might see 60 kills from the group if 2000 best elk and turkey hunters. That is still optimistic. However, take those same best hunters and put them in the elk woods for 10 days shooting any legal bull and I bet we would see at least 300 dead elk.

30-Sep-14
Sounds a lot like embellishment to me. I know guys catch those Alabama Turkeys with crab nets and turn them loose.

30-Sep-14
"I know guys"

Why know guys when you can be the guy...then you can know...Really know what knowing is. I know...come on down to Tuskegee NF and you can know too.

30-Sep-14

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Turkey's are pretty tough when you're not hunting them, camp is about 20' to the left off camera.

30-Sep-14
I'm not sure why everything needs to be compared to an Alabama turkey.

30-Sep-14

30-Sep-14
I've been trying not to know those guys for a long time :)

30-Sep-14
Do you have some pics of that Landshark shoulder that it went through. Pretty impressive and the broadhead after word. Want to see how it held up!

30-Sep-14
It is amazing to me that someone will allow themselves to be stirred up by somebody behind a keyboard. Bluegills are very tasty with fried potatoes. Lots of fun to catch to.

30-Sep-14
"Do you have some pics of that Landshark shoulder that it went through. Pretty impressive and the broadhead after word. Want to see how it held up!"

I posted some pics on the 'It's Time" thread of the shoulder blade. I couldn't find the briadhead end of the arrow. When it hit, there was not any loud whack as associated with other shoulder hits in the past. There was no pause in the arrow that I could detect. It whet through smooth as butter. The angle was more severe than I thought because the arrow came out back further than I would have thought. It was probably almost quartering. I thought the arrow zipped right through but the short end of the arrow indicated that it went mid ways of the fketching. I suppose the shoulder blade sheared the arrow off where it slides against the ribcage and the fletch end backed out and the broadhead end got pulled out the other side. I did not look long fir it as I was in a hurry to get packing. Nevertheless, you will be hard pressed to find a more impressive penetration story from any head and the only heads that compare in penetration are minuscule in size. The Simmons is a true penetration monsters...no dought the deadliest head on the market.

30-Sep-14
Tbm elk hunt recap is where the pic is

30-Sep-14
I'm sure if you give one of the elk masters some inside info from a secret Alabamian, leading them to a target rich environment, they would have no trouble killing several jakes!

30-Sep-14
The pic doesnt show the actual bone it just shows a quarter with a hole in it with muscle damage. as the animal flexes the muscle can be in a diff position than it would be at another time. Just curious if you had the pick of the actual bone. Thanks.

01-Oct-14
On September 28 I posted a pic if the boned out shoulder blade with the hole in it. It doesn't show clearly as I saw it though. The hole was at least 2 inches wide from the angle of the 1 9/16 main blade...The bleeder cut a 3/4 wide hole ..maybe bigger. A chunck of bone folded back...that is probably the path the arrow took. The pic is in pic weak elk recap thread.

• Sitka Gear