Seminole 27-Oct-14
Phil 29-Oct-14
tcosmic 11-Mar-15
welka 14-Mar-15
5575 14-Mar-15
David A. 15-Mar-15
bigbulls6 15-Mar-15
27-Sep-14
Just wondering what broadheads you have used to kill elk. What brand and grain size. ??????????????

27-Sep-14
Montec, strikers, slick trick all 100 grain on easton 340fmj at 29.25inch arrows

27-Sep-14
Slick Trick standard 100gr last year and Viper Trick 125gr this year.

27-Sep-14
Thunderhead 125 for my first and only bull. Now I use VPA 150 solid for Elk and VPA 125 vented for Iowa whitetails. Haven't hunted with them yet but expect good things.

27-Sep-14
QAD exodus, I've killed 3 elk with them, total combined traveled distance after the shot is about 60 yards. Also killed 2 moose with them, this will be my go to fixed head for some time!

27-Sep-14
Shuttle T 100 grain went two-for-two this season. They flew great and passed through with no problem.

Figured I was due some broadhead mojo after last season's experience with the Ulmer's.

27-Sep-14
easton silvertip 100gr expandable. Rocky mountain snyper 100 gr.

27-Sep-14
Slick Trick 150 grain (xbow version, same as the magnum but heavier)

27-Sep-14
QAD Exodus on my arrows. I see no reason to try any others. No mechanicals for me.

27-Sep-14
This might sound like a generic answer but any one that flies good from your bow... and has the least chance of self destructing on impact if you get my drift. Moving parts are for machines!

For me it's Slick Tricks although Magnus makes a nice coc head that flies great for sure. Snuffers or Buzzcuts.

27-Sep-14
Four bulls died in the last two weeks at our elk camp.

1. Wacker 2 Thunderhead 100 3 Slick Trick 4. wacker

27-Sep-14
muzzy, innerloc, satellite, rocky mt supreme, wasp, savora, rocket, carbon express f-15, slick trick, nap spitfire 125, nap thunderhead 125.

I prefer spitfires and thunderheads. I'll never shoot another elk with anything less than 1 3/16" dia 3 blade.

27-Sep-14
Slick Trick....never had a failure and massive damage every time

27-Sep-14
GRIMM REAPER 100 gr RAZORTIPS...works every time....

27-Sep-14
shuttle ts complete pass thru

27-Sep-14
Thunder head 100 on a couple. Rocket bacon skinners 100 or what ever they were called, G5 Stryker 100. VPA 100 non vented. Been shooting the VPA's for 3 years now. Also killed a good Ak. Moose with them. No plans to change.

Any sharp, strong, accurate head will work just fine.

27-Sep-14
Eclipse two blade 145s with a 75grn insert does the job on any animal walking north America, period!!!

27-Sep-14
QAD Exodus! Killed a nice bull this season with it. Blew high through the shoulder blade into the top of one lung. Watched the bull go down in 70 yards! Flies like a field point literally!!!!

27-Sep-14
I never had a Thunderhead fail me. Nowdays I prefer a 2 blade COI head that is as close to fail proof as I can get.

Mech's should be banned IMO

27-Sep-14
Herters 3 blade cut to the tip, forgot the grain weight and name. Bear Razor head. 125 gr. Thunderhead 100 gr. Muzzy 90 gr. & 115 gr. Magnus Stinger, 100 gr, Magnus Snuffer SS 100 gr. My favorite, by far is the 90 gr Muzzy, have used them for many years.

27-Sep-14
Simmons tigershark...pass through on a shoulder blade shot...not many can say that. So many facing on shots with elk. Failure to set up for that is a mistake.

27-Sep-14
Thunderhead 100grain, Wasp Boss 100grain, Montec 100grain

27-Sep-14
Thunderhead 125's.....can't go wrong

27-Sep-14

elkmtngear's Link
Anarchy 125 grain broadhead (see link)

Shot almost straight down from an old wooden treestand (30 feet up):

photo entry_zps03a0673e.jpg

Entry Wound (top of shoulder)

photo exit_zpsbc30337e.jpg

Exit wound

First year using them on elk, pretty happy so far.

Best of Luck, Jeff

27-Sep-14
Magnus Snuffer SS 100 gn. A 300 win mag would not have done any better !!

01-Oct-14
Question should be, what is the sharpest head right out of the package? I primarily shoot Eclipse 2 blades because I can get them scary sharp.

Switched over to 3 blade VPA thinking I could get them sharp with little luck.

So what's the sharpest 3 blade available?

01-Oct-14
I've taken two bulls and two large adult cows... All with glue-on Bear Razorheads with the bleeders on Ash arrows. Farthest any one of them made it was 70 yds. All pass-thrus with a 65# Bear takedown.

01-Oct-14
100 gr G5 striker 100 Gr G5 Montec

01-Oct-14
Shuttle t lock

01-Oct-14
125 gr muzzy 3 vbkade. Cheap strong and effective...

02-Oct-14
Muzzy 125 trocars inside 40 Muzzy 100 trocars 40-60 yards 12 elk total .

02-Oct-14
Always 125 grain. I've killed elk with Thunderheads, Vortex, NAP Spitfires and Magnus Stingers. All have performed very well. Stingers and Vortex are my favorites. The consensus is that coc heads are best...I can't argue that as I LOVE Stingers. Even so, I had some arrows tipped with Shwackers this season. Didn't loose one, but if the conditions were right I would like to try a Shwacker.

02-Oct-14
Stickfinger, what method did you use that failed to get your VPAs sharp?

02-Oct-14
I have killed elk using Magnus Stingers (4 blade), and Wackem Exit (4 blade). 100 - 125 grain variaties. I have to say they both did the job. I have also used Montecs and Snuffers SS. All the heads flew well. I truely believe blood trails are more about shot placement and less about type of broadhead. The lower the shot in the chest cavity, the more blood on the ground, sooner.

02-Oct-14
shuttle t lock

02-Oct-14
VPA for me. Rock solid and super easy to get sharp.

02-Oct-14
Lots of good ones mentioned here. I use Suttle Ts because they have been the best flying fixed blade heads out of my settup. I prefer 125s

02-Oct-14
Vpa for me as well!

02-Oct-14
Old School "Snuffer 125"

02-Oct-14
I prefer Magnus Snuffer SS for my compound and Stingers for my recurve. Their Lifetime Replacement guarantee puts them at the top for me. Hard to beat the service you get from Mike at Magnus IMO.

02-Oct-14
Slick Trick 100grn Magnum. Punched clean through one shoulder and lodged in the other. Went 70yds and piled up.

02-Oct-14
I've always preferred coc 3 carbon steel 3 blade. Shot my first with 145 gr rothhar snuffer and my latest with 125gr vpa 3 blade 1 1/4 cut. They went down fast! less than 50 yds combined

02-Oct-14
rocket steelhead xl, 100 grain, 1.75 inch cut. I have shot two bulls with them and they both passed through and destroyed the animal.

02-Oct-14
Muzzy 4BLD 145GR & Phantom 125/STOS 160GR POC

03-Oct-14
Muzzy Phantom MX, awesome elk broadhead. Shot 2 elk and a bighorn sheep so far with them. The bull elk this year passed through the shoulder on the far side.

03-Oct-14
Old style 4 blade 130 muzzy, razorcap 125, snuffer ss 125, stinger 125.

If I were walking up the mountain right now, of those I'd likely go with the stinger. On a two blade kick lately. I'm trying out another two blade right now but the testing is running a bit slow. Hard to beat that stinger though...

FWIW the key to killing elk isn't what head. As long as it's sharp and holds together many can, will, and have killed elk.

The whole thing is shot placement. Even though a larger target, IMO the larger tougher animals need even more precise placement, so in reality the kill zone is still small. My hunting partner's elk this year took all of 5 steps and started doing the wobbly mambo to the ground. Straight up the leg, in the V. (stinger for the record...)

If you're shooting stuff "behind the shoulder" that's where you make the first adjustment. Not your broadhead. Elk should not be a 1/4 mile tracking job. Especially when you "hit em perfect"....

Like property, it's mostly location, location, location.....

03-Oct-14
G5 Striker and Trophy Taker Shuttle T's...100gr

03-Oct-14
Snuffer SS 125gr. Been shooting resharpenable heads for many years and I can get this head the sharpest!! Yes it will go through the shoulder "blade" of a elk, not that I recommend that.

03-Oct-14
Soilds, and second up would be VPA's

03-Oct-14
Magnus Buzzcuts 125 grain

03-Oct-14
David........ PM sent

04-Oct-14
I had been using Muzzy Phantom 125 gr. COC but have now switched back to my 125. gr. Thunderheads. Using the Muzzy, the bull I shot, and got, this year was a pass-through entering at the second rib (just in front of diaphragm) and exiting just behind the opposite shoulder. Couldn't ask for better placement. I followed him an hour later...and he was down, but still alive. It took him two hours total to expire. This was my second instance using the Muzzy where they took just too long to die with good placement. Sooo, I just got back from a successful moose hunt in NF, using my Thunderheads. The bull moose I shot was quartering to me a bit, entered just behind the shoulder, through the liver but didn't exit. He went about 75 yards and was down for the count. Thus I'm back to using my THs exclusively.

04-Oct-14
"Couldn't ask for better placement"

You obviously missed TD's post. If you couldn't ask for better placement, the animal would have been dead in seconds. It's not the Muzzy's fault.

Just because it was double lung, just in front of the diaphragm doesn't make it a perfect shot.

04-Oct-14
"just in front of the diaphragm" = not very much lung was hit. TDs post X3. The angle you describe indicates that you didn't get much of the onside lung. Most of the big vessels are forward in the chest, in the area of the "V". It's not the BHs fault. The Muzzy Phantom is a 4 blade COC head that cuts a lot of tissue and penetrates better than most. Any BH still has to be placed well for optimal results.

04-Oct-14
I've been fortunate to have arrowed some pretty big animals including Elk. 125 gr. 3 blade Rocky Mountain's have accounted for Elk, Caribou, Black Bears, Buffalo. All have been on a Easton 2216 Aluminum shaft & mostly 60#s.. No longer available but I have many. I prefer 3 blades as they always fly great for me. I believe ANY well constructed fixed head will serve anyone well on large animals with a heavy shaft..

04-Oct-14
I don't see how a Thunderhead would outperform a Muzzy Phantom on exactly the same hit. The Phantom makes a somewhat bigger cut and is at least as sharp.

04-Oct-14
VPA three blade vented 100 grain.

04-Oct-14
A have to assume the point of this thread is as stated.."Just wondering what broadheads you have used to kill elk. What brand and grain size. ??". That's fine. Nothing wrong with that at all. But many will look on here at threads like this and not wonder, but choose a head to shoot an elk with. Here lies the problem with doing that...threads like these really aren't meant to identify the best...or even more importantly the worst elk heads. If one was to count the choices it would be no more than a popularity contest and that can be unreliable in the choice making process. Take Rage..not bashing...just using them for example. Outside of bowsite they are extremely popular... however if you have tested as many mechanicals as I have you will know that they are not in the top 3 performers for turkey, they don't make the top 5 for deer, and definitely don't make the top 10 for elk...that is just comparing them to other mechanicals and the best mechanical doesn't make to top 5 for elk if competing with fixed heads. So popularity is a poor way to choose a head. You have to consider other factors, the animal you are hunting and statistics of that animal and your own personal tendencies... then and only then can you choose the best head for you.

The animal here is elk. Since big Dan's elk 1/4 to thread there has to be a lot of you who would take that shot. Angled shot require more penetration so that would lead one to thing a cut on contact head would have an advantage. You might have a shot where shooting tight to the shoulder blade is needed so a tough coc head is required to go through the shoulder blade. If you take long shots then accuracy can be the deciding factor after coc.

This is just a guide to the correct thought process for choosing the best head for you. The most popular is seldom the best.

04-Oct-14
good luck with solid's so far.....customer service sucks....between a few elk and several turkeys only one would be capable of shooting again but never had anything get away...aside from mechs I'm sure the outcome would have been the same with any bh.....vpa for me next year.

04-Oct-14
magnus stinger 4-blades and eclipse werewolves, both 150grs. and 200 gr tusker concordes.

05-Oct-14
A proper quartering to shot does not go through the shoulder blade.

05-Oct-14
Iam with TurkeyBowMaster, it is the head that can make the trip from all angles. I did field testing for several companies before they went into production. And my testing found blade angle , steel quality would not take bulls, except from a perfect broad side shot. Now these heads are some of the most popular , highly advertised on the market. All shots are not broadside at close range, nor are they all perfect hits. Don't listen to any of that nonsense on the TV hunting shows.

05-Oct-14
My quartering shot was not severe of an angle to aim in front of the blade so I had to aim behind it. I shhoukd have aimed tight in the v, but a limb prevented me from aiming that low. I hit the blade and the Simmons blew right threw and stuck out the other side a couple ribs up from the last ribs. Elk went 40 yards because if a high lung shot. Blood everywhere because of two holes. By choosing the best elk broadhead of the market for that exact situation, I was able to capitalise on the aqward situation.

09-Oct-14
I can't recommend quartering shots on elk, had a disaster with a big bull...using a 3 blade VPA...

09-Oct-14
TBM, honest question - what broadhead(s) did you use on the bull you shot a couple times and lost? To what do you attribute the reason for the lost bull? Would different broadheads have made a difference? (Congrats again on the one you recovered!).

Golden Pyr, good to see you back. So if the elk is at 50 you have a Muzzy 100 on the string, but if he walks inside 40 you put that arrow away and pull out a Muzzy 125 from your trusty quiver filled with many different types and sizes of arrows from your photos)?

How do you keep track of all that? Seems complicated.

09-Oct-14
All shots were the same head , Simmons Tigershark. The first shot of the first elk I can't be sure what happened. It went between his antlers on a frontal shot where I was trying to arch the arrow over a crest in a hill and into his chest. In hindsight that was close to impossible. The elk was around 30 and even with a heavy almost 800 grain arrow it couldn't arch as much as it needed to in that situation. I think it had to hit some brush at the top of the crest, casting it over the bull. The second shot should have never happened. It was a frontal shot at the alert bull at what was something like 40 yards. I was shooting through a small hole and threaded the needle but the bulk had turned by the time the arrow arrived. The third shot I just misjudge the distance...not sure how bad but a flatter arrow might have helped.

I felt going in that my arrows were far the the heavy side fir the shots elk might present. I should have ordered the regular FMJ instead of the DG. That would have put me in the 600 grain range...still enough to push the Simmons through the shoulder blade. The bleeders are still staying intact on bone and that shouldn't happen. I need to modify them and take out some medal that will help them break easier. No way a bleeder should go through a shoulder blade and not break, but it did. Nice little x on the exit wound.

09-Oct-14
TBM: Hate to break it to you but your beloved Simmons Tigershark suffers from metal fatigue and has edge retention issues in many of my tests. Simmons uses inferior grade metal in making its heads, and the broadhead geometry of the head is prone to bending. Couple that with the difficulty of sharpening them and they really are a no go in todays modern age of bowhunting. There are many two blade broadheads that are far superior in edge retention, accuracy, and blade quality to choose from than the your vaunted pussy cat broadhead. So please, put the shovel down.

09-Oct-14
I have used Muzzy 115 and 90 4 blades. I have seen stingers and muzzy 3 blade both 100 grains work. If I was to chase elk again it would be a 125 NAP hellrazor.

09-Oct-14
Why would you want a bleeder blade to break off? I've shot a lot of elk with the Muzzy Phantoms, and Elk Mountain Phantoms before Muzzy bought them out, and never worried bout the bleeders needing to break off. 100 grain heads out of 56# recurves, hitting leg bones and shoulder bones, and never had an issue with penetration with small, medium weight carbon shafts weighing 450 grains.

This year, I used the Wac'em 100 grain Titans on my spring turkey and fall bear, with great results. My bear was shot at 30 yards, slight quartering away, and the lil head broke the offside leg bone. The bear went 5 feet, sat upright before moaning and falling into the pond. The head was in perfect condition, no bent blades.

09-Oct-14
Two frontal shots at 30 and 40 yards just don't cut it. We have gone over the frontal shot many times and it should only be taken at under 20 yards. Poor shot selection in my opinion.

09-Oct-14
Wasp 100 gr. 1.75" cut. Jak Hammers. Big holes! Profuse and short blood trails.

09-Oct-14
many of my tests" Here is your sight....Here is your flaw

09-Oct-14
TBM: Just keep grinding away on your flimsy heads. Next thing you know you will be holding your pencil.

09-Oct-14
"TBM: Hate to break it to you but your beloved Simmons Tigershark suffers from metal fatigue and has edge retention issues in many of my tests. Simmons uses inferior grade metal in making its heads, and the broadhead geometry of the head is prone to bending. Couple that with the difficulty of sharpening them and they really are a no go in todays modern age of bowhunting. There are many two blade broadheads that are far superior in edge retention, accuracy, and blade quality to choose from than the your vaunted pussy cat broadhead. So please, put the shovel down."

First off they are an American made product. The product was invented by one from the greatest generation... a machinist from the WW2 era...a perfectionist. The head was sold to another perfectionist also from Alabama...now it belongs to another who resides in Montana. The heads are made one at the time. The are patterned off of the Mississippi native Ben Pearson's head that was a two blade and the northerners Fred Bear also used the design.

I dont know what test you did, but what I do know is every test that I have seen performed wheather it be for penetration or durability usually has some major flaws and almost never factors in what the head actually needs to do to end in a recovered animal. I do know what the Simmons does on game...not just one or two but close to 100 big game animals. Have seen it shoot though the hard skull of a hog and through deer at all angles from slow bows and recurves. The size hole it cuts is super impressive. Coc heads need to cut large holes because they don't stretch the hide and cut smaller holes in hide than punch tip heads. Small coc run the risk of the hide slipping over the rib cage hole and very little to know blood on good hits is unacceptable.

I just can't stand for a voodoo science test that doesn't even relate to what we doo in the field. Youcheat yourself with those findings. They just don't apply to a hunting scenerio.

09-Oct-14
There is more but I got tired. Everyone just owes it to their self to try one at some point. They can be hard to get to fly but once you do you got something special.

09-Oct-14
TBM,The are patterned off of the Mississippi native Ben Pearson's head that was a two blade and the northerners Fred Bear also used the design."

Hate to break the news to you, but Ben Pearson was not from Mississippi. Ben Pearson was from Pine Bluff, Ark.

Another erronous "TBM factoid".

09-Oct-14
I heard the Chinese recently purchased Simmons who recently sold them to the mongols...who are trying to revive the "horde"

09-Oct-14
this is an easy one

use a broadhead that flies exceptionally well out of your bow/setup and one that one break easily if it hits bone

simple

that means no mech broadheads

09-Oct-14
You will never see an Ulmer Edge on my arrows again! I have shot elk With Muzzy, Shuttle T and G5 Montec. I will stay with G5 Montec CS. This year I made a picture perfect shot on a Big 6 point bull, broadside. Arrow penetrated maybe 3" hitting a rib on impact and hung limp as the bull ran off. Gridded the mountain for 3 days with my GPS. No bull. Also no pun intended ;-)

09-Oct-14

Gaur's embedded Photo
Gaur's embedded Photo
I used a grizzly 170 grain using a 56# longbow. My total arrow weight was somewhere in the 600 g area. Beman MFX 400 g and a steel insert. Nice blood trail on a 7 yrd frontal. He stood over this log briefly before going up hill about 70 yrds.

09-Oct-14
Muzzy 125 grain MX3. I briefly experimented with rages, did not like them at all and started using the Muzzys a few years ago. I haven't had to track anything since. All pass throughs. Everything has gone down in sight. Bunch of deer. I've only shot one elk with them, this year, and it was my first. He didn't go anywhere. Literally. Never took another step. Looked at me for a few seconds. I thought I missed, and he tipped over.

Probably more important than the head is the fact that I'm able to put them where I want. They fly great. I think that's the important thing here. Good quality, tough fixed blade broadhead, into the good stuff and you're in business. No mechanicals for me ever again, they just don't penetrate.

I'm a bit gear ignorant. Would the muzzys be considered a cut on contact head?

09-Oct-14
Zwickeys. I have used them out of my 92 pound pse x force and my Bob lee takedown. I have shot through the shoulder blades on two elk and the bleeder blades showed stayed intact and straight.

10-Oct-14
Muzzys have a pretty good point and some sharpness to them. I know folks (Jaquomo for one) that sharpen the trocar even more, pretty close to the edge on many COC 3 blade heads.

While technically I don't think they are COC they are very close to it.... IMO.

I like Muzzys, killed a bunch of stuff with the original 4 blade style and dollar for dollar hands down one of the best values in broadheads there are. Fly great, sharp, tuff and kill stuff. Between them and stingers they seem to be the two heads I keep coming back home to.....

Only thing is I understand Rage bought em out.... still trying to get over that....

10-Oct-14
TD great post. Muzzy makes some great broadheads. Magnus, Shuttle T, Innerloc, VPA- (something goofball TBM needs to try), Thunderhead, Steelforce- I hope they stay in business, just to name a few are great heads.

Patdel: Are Muzzy's a COC head? Actually a good question. Phantom's I would consider COC and the traditional Muzzy's you can put the trocar tip on a flat stone and sharpen it to a razor's edge. I give credit to Jaquomo for that tip. Just make sure before taking any broadhead into the field to sharpen the blades. Oxidation occurs regardless of brand.

When hunting elk it is best to stay with a razor sharp fixed blade broadhead made from quality steel.

10-Oct-14
Montec 125

10-Oct-14
VPA 125's

11-Oct-14
Man you guys just can't resist making it a debate. The OP didn't ask what was better he asked what have YOU USED to kill elk. Pretty simple but some people just have an ego problem and can't resist trying to preach.

11-Oct-14
I'm a rib cage guy first...bigger is a little better but everything generally works, hard angle second.. coc...big is a little better, gut shot third...bigger is definitely better, shoulder blade third....coc two blade with break away bleeder, hard bone is last...few heads hit hard bone and go on to penetrate enough to kill. Simmons fit the specs necessary for all my priority... plus the are easy to sharpen.

11-Oct-14
Ulmer Edge 100 gr. Steel this year... Giant blood trail... The majority of my archery bulls were taken with Muzzy 4-blade 100 grain heads. While I was impressed with the Ulmer, I think that I'll be using the Muzzys again next year for no other reason than peace of mind...

11-Oct-14
Shuttle T Lock 125 Complete pass through at 20yds this year in NM. Will be my go-to broadhead for all future elk hunts.

I used Rocket Steelhead XP 125's on my AZ hunt in 2012 and caught the lower edge of the scapula. Only got about 11" of penetration. Result: a super long 1 lung blood trail ending in heart break. I know that I killed that bull but just never recovered him. Looked for 2 days, punched my tag and came home to Indiana.

I know that broadhead would have killed quickly had my placement been different. But I also have to think that the KE lost deploying blades might have driven a fixed blade deeper and gotten both lungs despite the scapula contact on the AZ hunt.

I'll shoot whitetails confidently with mechanicals, but it will be nothing but fixed blades for elk in my future.

13-Oct-14
Holy cow. We are all grown ups and should know by now that 98 percent of the kill is shot placement. I started the thread and was just wondering what broadheads people use. Thanks to all those that were positive.

13-Oct-14
Tribute4811 Now that every one has given there opinion , I will tell you mine. With mature bull elk ,every thing that can go wrong with broadheads will. select a head that will make the trip from all angles. Side to side, front to back, top to bottom. Weight of the arrow does not seem to be near as important as the head design. some of the lady hunters have taken big bulls with 50lb bows but had the right steel on the front of there arrow. And don't believe any of that nonsense on TV about broadheads!

14-Oct-14
thats the problem master guide. No where in his original post did he ask for opinions on what BH to use for elk. He simply wanted to know what people have killed elk with.

14-Oct-14
Great timing, Master guide.

He wants to know what you shoot - nothing else.

Haven't bowhunted elk in a while, but it was Magnus two-blade the last time. I was pleased.

If again, either Magnus Buzzcut or Vipers - both 125 grain.

14-Oct-14
Stick with 125 grain or better and a quality fixed blade broadhead. Some good brands Magnus Buzzcuts, VPA, Muzzy, Steelforce, T-shuttle, Innerloc, G5 striker, Montec....

Just make sure you hand sharpen the blades. Every bit of sharpness counts. As was mentioned above, your broadhead will be tested in every way possible.

14-Oct-14
QAD exodus. This thing zipped through my elk so fast last yr @ 30yds that neither of us (him nor me) knew for sure he was hit. This also left him dying in sight after only going about 50yds, if that.

I shot an elk w/ a ram cat at 30yds and I could literally hear the broadhead punch through on the entry and exit... thud thud.. it was wild, never experienced that. But that again a complete pass thru and elk dying in sight.

Without hesitation I will be using exodus on elk in the future. Also on the sharpness comments, they are as true as ever and you need to check them during your hunt. IN and out of the quiver will dull BH's fast as all heck.

14-Oct-14
I've been using Muzzys for for over 20 years... no need to go shopping for another head. I've only killed 4 bulls, 3 pass throughs...they're all dead. Currently using the MX3 100. I like the 1 1/4" diameter. I know I've recovered animals on marginal shots because of the sharpness and diameter. I'm going to switch to the MX3 125 next season... just to try it out for better penetration on moose... Shot place trumps broadhead choice. Ed F

14-Oct-14
Ed, I switched to the MX3 125 this year from the 100. Liked the little bit smaller profile and really liked the fact that it has an all steel ferule instead of the aluminum. Really did a great job on my bull this year. Complete pass through at 42 yards, buried in the dirt behind the bull and the broadhead is completely fine.

14-Oct-14
Ed, you'll need to move up to a .300 spined arrow to shoot a 125 with your setup, but alas, I might be able to agree with you on a broadhead change. 125 is better in every regard. Especially with the MX3 and steel as mentioned above.

14-Oct-14
I've killed a whole bunch with 125 grain Muzzys, both 3 and 4 blade. After dropping a few pounds on my latest recurve (to 53#) I switched to the 3 blade exclusively, presumably for better penetration.

As posted before, I work the trocar tip on a stone to get the leading edges sharp. Patdel, I wouldn't consider them COC out of the package, but after doing that they certainly are.

Before switching to Muzzys about 27 years ago, I killed elk with Savoras, Satellites, Zwickeys, one with an original Bear razorhead with the bleeder super-glued in.

I killed my Aussie Red Stag with a VPA 125, and wouldn't hesitate to switch to that head again when I run out of Muzzys.

14-Oct-14
Howard Hill head

14-Oct-14
100 gr. Rocket steelhead

145 gr. Phathead by Steel Force. It is a .080" thick two blade with bleeders and all steel ferrule. The strongest head I've seen.

Both heads were pass-throughs with only 41 ft-lbs KE. Total arrow weight was less than 400 grains.

14-Oct-14
2 blade Magnus 160 grain glue on

15-Oct-14
The steel ferrule is overated... I've never, never had a broadhead failure on an animal, never. The way the Muzzy blades overlap, there's a steel core. I can't believe I'm participating in a "my broadhead is better than your broadhead" thread... Ed F

15-Oct-14
Actually a valid point Ed, I must admit.

15-Oct-14
To all involved.... this has been, for the most part, one of the most civilized elk broadhead threads I've seen.

Maybe even educational.... heheheh...

15-Oct-14
Ed, interesting point, because I've never had a broadhead fail either. Always thought it was because I shoot a low KE setup and have a gentle touch.

15-Oct-14
Ed, interesting point, because I've never had a broadhead fail either. Always thought it was because I shoot a low KE setup and have a gentle touch.

15-Oct-14
Had two that I would consider failures. Both G5's. One Montec and one Striker. Ferrules snapped clean off at the insert. On animals, not rocks or some torture test.

15-Oct-14
Muzzy 3 blade, 100 grain. Have killed 4 bulls and 1 cow with them.

My dad shoots the same head and has taken two cows and a bull.

16-Oct-14
SDHNTr I can't believe more people haven't complained about g5 powder metal series. At first I was enamoured by the g5 montecs (before cs came out) until I tried to sharpen them and researched their powder cast design. I'm certain the strykers ferrel is powdered metal also. After poor performance on a whitetail I am glad I never drew on an elk that year.

22-Oct-14

elpepe25's embedded Photo
elpepe25's embedded Photo
Hard to argue with the Wac'em Exit 125

23-Oct-14
The first two Elk I harvested were with Simmons 125gr land shark. The next four were with Magnus Stinger 125gr 4bl; couldn't find the simmons for purchase.

This year, once again 125gr Stinger with bleeders, split an onside rib vertically and went out the other side.

23-Oct-14
Trusty rusty old Puckett's.

The original Rage. ;-)

26-Oct-14
"He wants to know what you shoot - nothing else." C'mon most threads evolve a little and that makes them more interesting and informative than one word answers.

26-Oct-14
Love me my Viper tricks - Great design....

- A converted Slick Trick lover

26-Oct-14
I use the Snuffer SS in 125 gr and love the results I have seen. I will continue to use them.

27-Oct-14
VPA's 125 but may move up to 150gn next year. 32 yd shot broadside with complete penetration on my last 6X6 and actually lost my arrow for some reason!:( Lov the simple design and easy to sharpen!!

27-Oct-14
Bonecracker: The VPA 150 may be one of the best three blade broadheads ever designed. You will not be disappointed and penetration will definitely not be an issue. Finding your arrow will continue to be; and that is a good problem to have. :) Just make sure your arrow has sufficient spine for the 150..

27-Oct-14

Seminole's embedded Photo
Seminole's embedded Photo
VPA 150's....

29-Oct-14
It's a shame someone the likes of TBM has more or less contaminated most posts on this website, it's gotten to the point that I don't visit this site a fraction as much anymore, the stupidity that he spews is really nauseating.... it's too bad, this site used to be a great resource.

11-Mar-15
vpa is a very strong accurate head.

14-Mar-15
I am more in the camp of having a head for those times when you don't make the perfect shot. Elk shoulders are about as tough as they come (and hogs) and if you want to kill your elk your BH must be tough enough to plow through the shoulder (all parts of the shoulder except the vertical ridge as nothing makes it through that). This shoulder crushing property knocks out several heads. Tried an anarchy head to see how tough it would be on a shoulder blade. Impressive as it blew through a hog shoulder (on purpose). I have used VPAs in the past, but switched last summer when I shot them at 50 & 60 yards and they planed way too much. Likely will go with a Viper Trick this fall, but still experimenting with Anarchy and Grim Reaper. Good luck to all.

14-Mar-15
Ulmer Edge worked great on my last bull, busted ribs going in and coming out with a 60 lb bow.

Probably go with a VPA next time but will carry an Ulmer for longer shots if need be.

15-Mar-15
I lost a 370+ bull last year using a 3 blade VPA. Hit too far back but angled forward. From a recurve, penetration to the nock. No blood trail to speak of. We searched for days and after the seasons more searching. No sign at all.

My experienced outfitter thought the VPAs were not as sharp as he would like compared to a razor blade bh even though I could easily shave hairs.

I'm leaning toward both the Steelforce large 125 gr. 4 blade premium and the single bevel two blade ABOWYER wapiti (both of which I have to admit are another level of sharpness above the VPAs. Yes, I did improve the sharpness of the VPAs out of the box and IMO, they were quite sharp. I have taken deer with them with great results.

15-Mar-15
Muzzy 100 grain from my Compound, Zwickey Eskimo from my recurve 145. Both worked fine bought 100 grain VPA's could not get them to fly and could not get them sharp (my problem) VPAs seem well built I was looking for one head to use. I have killed whitetails with 100 grain Muzzy out of my Recurve thought it maybe a bit light for ELk.

Good Huntin Rob

• Sitka Gear