Jack Harris 30-Sep-14
gil_wy 30-Sep-14
Mule Power 30-Sep-14
Trophy8 30-Sep-14
gil_wy 01-Oct-14
cityhunter 01-Oct-14
TD 01-Oct-14
28-Sep-14
First of all, I want to apologize for the pictures... we as a group, Gary, Mike, and I decided that hunting general area and taking a camera was bad luck and that if we were fortunate enough to take an elk, our cell phones would be just fine for pictures... I'm glad we didn't jinx it but before it was over I wish we had a better camera!

Hunting at around 10,000 feet can have it's challenges but when you're blessed with perfect weather, life is good! The first couple of days found us locating elk and experiencing your typical late season behavior. Herd bulls hearing calls and heading for the hills with their girls and satellites bulls shutting up when you get within 200 yards because they are tired of getting their tails kicked! But still we had some close encounters and even a couple shots foiled by a couple of well placed branches.

Day 3 of our hunt found us waking up early listening to bugles below camp all night. With out a second thought we headed out after the bugles. The first set for Mike was busted by the wind and but the herd bull was still bugling his displeasure at the satellites pestering him. After two days of these guys leaving us, I'd finally had enough. It was my "turn" so I took off at a jog, headed for the saddle I knew he was headed for. It was 500 feet above me, and 1/4 mile away.

I didn't quite beat him there because of a tangle of cedars that slowed me up. I watched as his antlers went over the rocky saddle and with several of his cows still visible, I couldn't follow. So, with the only tool left I could think of, I let out a nasty, low snarl of a bugle. He instantly bugled and came flying back over the knife ridge back at me, standing at 30 yards and staring in my direction trying to find the pesky intruder. I saw enough antler to know it was worth my effort!

Now, I've been a LONG time participant of the Bowsite and have participated and observed what seems like MILLIONS of frontal shots threads. Well I finally took one... The bull was very slightly quartering...maybe 1 or 2 degrees. My only pin sighted in at 30 yards floated right where the cape starts to change color at the chest hugging the nearest shoulder. In a heartbeat, the arrow disappears into the bulls chest and he lunges back towards his cows and I instantly cow call and then bugle. The bull wanders a few steps and then coughs and then heads over the ridge.

I cow call and bugle until Mike and Gary find me. Mike turns to Gary and says "He only has two arrows left!" knowing I had lost one taking a pot shot at a grouse the day before.

I replay the events to them and we go up to where the bull was shot and what we see can't really be described... it's literally like someone was pouring blood out of a bucket! It started as a drop or two and leads to splashes of blood that are 3 feet long and 6 inches wide!! Across the light colored rock of this ridge, it's like a beacon!

We still give the bull an hour and take up the trail. The back side of the ridge is nearly straight down! From the top of the ridge, you can see the blood trail for 100 yards below us. From that point the blood trail lessens because, quite frankly, I think he was out of blood! 60 yards later, my bull was laying there in a cedar thicket and I'm now a believer in the frontal shot!

28-Sep-14
And.....!!!

Congrats. How about a crappy picture!

28-Sep-14

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo

28-Sep-14
Nice job.... Hopefully there will be pictures of 3 bulld before this story is over!

28-Sep-14

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo

28-Sep-14
Great shot and story. I have taken deer and elk with frontal shots and it is just as you described, like someone was pouring blood out.

Hopefully gary helped out a little. Just kidding, I had yo give him grief.

Congrats

28-Sep-14
Beautiful bull, gil! congrats!

28-Sep-14
dandy bull Cory!

28-Sep-14

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo

28-Sep-14
Great bull Gil!

Like tobinsghost said, lets see some more crappy pics!

Are the rest of your group still hunting or are you all done?

28-Sep-14
After stashing the meat at about 10,000 ft. we headed back to camp. Mike has taken a couple of elk with a rifle but had never taken an archery elk. We headed out of camp early through some clear cuts and bedding stuff, headed toward some meadows overlooking a main feeding area. Out of it's bed jumps a raghorn...

I think it's critical that all newbies understand the calling sequence that went into this successful harvest...

I stop, point "@%#$%!!!" (This is where I cuss loudly) followed by two very loud cow chirps and the bull stops. I whisper behind me to Gary "He's at 50!"

Gary whispers "I don't have a shot!"

I look to my right and Mike is jogging down hill 10 steps and I'm thinking "No way this is going to work!"

I look back and the bull is still standing there! Mike looks up at and whispers "I have a shot!" so I say "Well, shoot then!"

He does and makes a perfect shot!!!

28-Sep-14

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
Mike's first archery bull!

28-Sep-14
Sounds like it was a great hunt. Congrats.

28-Sep-14
Awesome! 2 shots = 2 bulls!

28-Sep-14
Great story ... I took the "frontal plunge" this year as well ... (at a little over 10,000', as well) ... and it worked exceedingly well.

Back to your story ... there's more, right?

28-Sep-14
Good bulls. Haw far did u pack in?

28-Sep-14
Unfortunately Gary didn't connect... A couple of branches made sure that didn't happen. But a great hunt none the less!

TBM-between 3 and 5 miles depending on the day and the elk...

28-Sep-14
That calling sequence never works for me!!

Again, congrats!

29-Sep-14

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
Camp

29-Sep-14
Couple of items I was incredibly impressed with...

First, the Ulmer Edge Steel 100gr... giant entrance and giant exit that blasted through the last rib on the exit side.

Second, Krux Frame by Stone Glacier. This frame was rock solid with heavy loads. Paired with my Hill People Gear Highlander it was a good set-up but for a 5-day hunt the Highlander needs to be about 500 cu/in bigger and I found myself wanting a couple external pockets... so the search is still on for the perfect bag but I have found my perfect frame!

29-Sep-14
Sweet, thanks for sharing!

29-Sep-14
Congrats Gil! Gettin it done and not suprised

29-Sep-14
Very nice. .. congratulations. Ed F

29-Sep-14
Excellent hunt, congrats...As TS said, no surprise here either you're always in 'em....

29-Sep-14
Outstanding. Simply, outstanding! Congrats!

29-Sep-14
Great bull Gil! Congrats!

29-Sep-14
Thanks for sharing your hunt Cory! Bulls always seem to have a funny way of dying when your around!

29-Sep-14
Congratulations guys.

29-Sep-14
Congrats guys! Awesome!

29-Sep-14
Congrats Cory!

29-Sep-14
Way to get it done! Congrats!!

Mark

29-Sep-14
Year in and year out..... I don't know many that get it done with great bulls like Cory. Best part is... I don't think it gets old with him! He sounded like this was his first!

That one gonna fit in the bug box? LOL! Have to leave the lid open and close the doors on the shed....

Congrats! On yet another great WY bull. And on finding a one of those special raghorns.... =D

29-Sep-14
Comgrats guys !

29-Sep-14
Gil- great job! Congratulations on a successful hunt. Next time take a better camera.

DJ

30-Sep-14
Nice job. Great bull.

30-Sep-14
Great bull, congrats!

30-Sep-14
Very nice!

30-Sep-14

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
Just found this photo ...

30-Sep-14
Nice! thanks for sharing

30-Sep-14
"Hunting at around 10,000 feet can have it's challenges"

LOL, yes it can. Great bull.

Why the change in hunting locations?

30-Sep-14
awesome 6x6 - congratulations!

30-Sep-14
"Why the change in hunting locations?"

Didn't draw a tag this year... had to hunt OTC/General tag this year...

30-Sep-14
Nice job. very nice bull. You need a better camera. lol. Maybe not right!!!

30-Sep-14
Thanks for sharing...Congrats on a great bull.

gil_wy....any issues with the Achilles?

01-Oct-14
Trophy8... Nope, the Achilles has been good ever since surgery. The only issue I have from surgery is occasional toe pain where they harvested the tendon to reinforce the repair but I would classify that as discomfort and not pain...

01-Oct-14
Great bull Gil congras I hunt alone so my shot this year was same as yours , my bull was on the ground in seconds never made it more then 5yrds.

01-Oct-14
You hit the spot it's pretty spectacular isn't it?

Sporting a new pack? Carrying the meat bag next to the frame and using the bag as a compression panel? Serious waist belt, ready for a real load. Looks like it's doing a good job.

• Sitka Gear