TODDY 29-Sep-14
twojump 29-Sep-14
gil_wy 29-Sep-14
808bowhunter 30-Sep-14
TODDY 30-Sep-14
flybyjohn 30-Sep-14
808bowhunter 30-Sep-14
29-Sep-14
Overall I have been really impressed with the quality bulls that have been harvested this year.....Wow! I know quality is in the eye of the hunter and if you were after a cow and scored, fantastic. Herd bull or tag soup great. Not my point here. How many scored on a new area this year, and what drew you to that area? For some, it may have been just the next ridge over from where I have always hunted. For others, a recent burn area. Others, just a good hunch. Well, what say you? TODDY

29-Sep-14
I hunted Eastern Oregon Bulls in the Desolation Unit... I tried out a new area in the unit... I scouted it, and worked my butt off in the off season to get ready... the unit is dead.... no since ever trying there again! I did see 2 wolves though!

29-Sep-14
Looked for a spot that looked too steep for anyone to hunt... It took several overnight trips to figure it out but there was a reason elk liked my new area... No hunters!

30-Sep-14
Tried a new state this year just off google earth and talking to biologists. I thought I would have to wait 10 years in some states to get the action we got. The change was good. My brother shot his first elk ever and it was a 285 on the first day.

30-Sep-14
Good stuff guys! Twojump, sounds like you will be moving again next year. Bummer! 808, Was your plan originally to be able to hunt this new state every year without having to draw? Sounds like you got the best of both worlds: easy draw/OTC and lots of elk. Good deal!

30-Sep-14
I saw a spot on the map a few years ago that I thought was worth looking at. It was a small pond on the top of the mountain. I finally decided to go out for the first time last week just because I was getting tired of the same place year after year, even though I know my normal area holds elk and I have been into them most days up there. The climb in was easier then my normal spot but the terrain was a little bit more difficult. I got into elk right away and when they decided to be quiet, I started looking for that lake. I found the lake I was looking for and you know what?, there was a bull swimming in that lake. I punched the bull and then my tag and it looks like I found a new place to hunt in the future.

30-Sep-14
Toddy, being a NR in any elk state, I have a plan set for units in a bunch of states, I like new areas and new adventures to fill time and gain experience while building points. I will definitely be back in the are I hunted this year again. But the search for new spots will aways continue for me.

• Sitka Gear