Bigred 30-Sep-14
TEmbry 30-Sep-14
Bigred 30-Sep-14
jdee 30-Sep-14
jdee 30-Sep-14
drycreek 30-Sep-14
Nick Muche 30-Sep-14
29-Sep-14
Gonna be living in Alaska soon for two years was trying to get some opinions on putting trail cameras out in Alaska. I know probably stupid cause people will steal them but im big on keeping inventory as I am a whitetail hunter, I don't like going into a spot that has nothing.

30-Sep-14
I'm not sure why you think they'll get stollen faster in AK then anywhere else. Just use bear safes and cable locks if you're concerned.

What species are you planning on targeting with the cameras? They would be great for bear bait sites but most other AK big game have huge home ranges.

30-Sep-14

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

A must for bear baiting...anywhere IMO. Doubt they'd get stolen unless you decide to hunt in an area with lots of other hunters, even then I'd be surprised...

30-Sep-14
Yea it will mainly be for bear. Speaking of which what are the season dates for black bear I will be there hopefully around april.

30-Sep-14

FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
Most areas are year round and residents don't need any tags. It takes one year to become a resident.

30-Sep-14
Black bear season here is not to difficult to keep track of. Its 365 days a year. Limit is 3 bears.

Why in the world would you imagine that your trail cameras would be more likely to be stolen here, as opposed to down there in America?

There are less people in this state than in a lot of cities in the L48. And a lot more honest people per capita.

What you WILL have to figure out is how to keep your cameras from being chewed up by bears. Developing that strategy is a far more useful endeavor than dreaming up visions of them being stolen by non-existant human competition. Geesh!

Pete

30-Sep-14
Settle down Pete, lol. He will figure it all out when he gets there! Goodluck keeping the bears from ruining your cams. Mike

30-Sep-14
If this was facebook i'de give Pete a like.

30-Sep-14
I don't think he was implying that Alaskans would be more likely to steal his camera's, I think he was just pointing out that stealing trail cams is a common situation where he is from and probably thought he would have the same problem in Alaska.

30-Sep-14
Hey Pete, you ever watch the reality tv show Alaska State Troopers ? Seems they never run out of Alaskan criminals.

30-Sep-14
jdee you beat me to that!

ren't there areas in Alaska with no bear limits for residents? I know I hunted an area with Joe Schuster like that.

30-Sep-14
But those criminals are usually passed out on the street in Anchorage, not looking for trail cams in the bush.

You can hunt bears as a non resident from the day you get there!

30-Sep-14
I was never saying that Alaskans are thief's its just iv had a few of mine stolen on public land before and just was not sure if anyone there was having problems, from everything I have been told about it it sounds like im never gonna want to leave. Thank you all for the information I look forward to hopefully killing my first bear next year

30-Sep-14
There are zones that a resident can register for predator control and kill unlimited bear in Alaska

30-Sep-14
Hey Pete, you ever watch the reality tv show Alaska State Troopers ? Seems they never run out of Alaskan criminals.

30-Sep-14
If Bigred plans on baiting in downtown Wasilla, I suppose it could become an issue!

Btw, don't believe everything you see on that show! Hell, I was on it one time.

Pete

30-Sep-14
Yeah, I think I saw you. Did you give the guy back his camera? JK :-)

30-Sep-14
If someone in Alaska steals your camera you know it was either the guy on your left or the guy on your right because they are the only two people there!

30-Sep-14
pretty good success each year on bears just north of fairbanks?

30-Sep-14
That's like asking pretty good success each year on bears in North Carolina? Alaska is so huge it's hard to really grasp until you are there. A few hours drive from Fairbanks in any direction and you still will be covered up in bears. All about finding your particular spot and putting in the time to make it happen.

30-Sep-14
Im looking forward to getting there I grew up in Delaware so its pretty tiny compared to alaska

30-Sep-14
LOL Pete...

30-Sep-14
LOL Pete...

30-Sep-14
On I don't know Nick, it looks like that guy is thinking about stealing that camera now ! Or eating it............

30-Sep-14
Haha Drycreek, unfortunately he passed away 8 1/2 hours later :)

• Sitka Gear