Russell 07-Oct-14
Rocking R 07-Oct-14
Buffalo1 07-Oct-14
SteveB 08-Oct-14
goelk 22-Oct-14
30-Sep-14

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Hope you enjoyed day 1. I think you will be excited to see what also happens with the next two bow shots!

Here's a picture of camera man/elk caller "Forest Bows"!

30-Sep-14
Congratulations Charlie!!!! Nice bull! :)

Just curious, what broadhead did you use?

>>>>-------->

30-Sep-14
Nice job Charlie.

30-Sep-14
Great job Charlie and congrats on your kill--Camera and caller guy Forest did a pretty good job too--If anyone gets a chance to make a hunt with Charlie don't pass it up--Charlie is one of the most pleasant,easy going,concerned for all,hunting enthusiast hunter I have shared a camp with-- Go Charlie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30-Sep-14
Nice bull

30-Sep-14

Termina T 100's!

Since the Shuttle T came out in 2006 I have used them exclusively! Over 100 big game kills!

30-Sep-14
Awesome bull Charlie! Congrats buddy. I didn't know you were in GMU 70 as Chris and I hunted the also with little cone on the horizon. Small world:) One of the most scenic hunts I've been on for sure.

30-Sep-14
Wow Charlie that didn't take long, congrats on a fine bull! Your wing man was solid with the camera as well. Living the dream!

30-Sep-14
Way to get it done Charlie! Sounds like an amazing day on the mountain!

30-Sep-14
Thanks guys!

As I said the next two days will be as good or better! Screaming elk all over the place! This is addictive and the most fun elk hunt I have been on! So nice to be in elk every hunt!

Next year there will be two back to back Bowsite hunts from arrival date 9/11/14 hunt 9/12,13,14,15 and 16 then depart 9/17. Second group arrives 9/17 hunts 9/18,19,20,21 and 22 then depart 9/23!

Call Dan at Rocking R Ranch to lock in your hunt! I will be there for both and we have a very special hunt planned for the first week which I'll explain later!

Physically you need to be in good shape but getting around is not difficult. Great Father/son/daughter or spouse hunt!

30-Sep-14
Glad you posted pics Charlie. I recognize the ranch as previously called Lone Cone Outfitters owned by now deceased WWII war hero and pilot Ron Clements. Hunted there back in 2008 I believe, beautiful country. Glad you're having a good time. Now you can go fishing at the Miramonte [sp?] reservoir.

30-Sep-14
nice bull Charlie - congratulations! Although I am pretty much a VPA butt-boy now because I just like the ability to sharpen right on the shaft after practice, I did have great success with the T-lock BH and IMHO, is the best replaceable blade BH made, in terms of flight, penetration, sharpness, and overall toughness... You should have said "on a walking bull, I only aim for the spine to put 'em down quick!" LOL... Nice short recovery!

30-Sep-14
spine killing an elk - I'm impressed. That's a tough looking broadhead, what was your arrow weight and poundage bow? Did you bury the broadhead deep into a vertebrae ?

I've got a vertebrae of a whitetail with the broadhed buried in it (boiled and kept it)

pretty bull

30-Sep-14
Great footage- gets me fired up for my hunt on Oct 11th- 1st season rifle zone 24 drop camp- Flat Tops Last year they were still bugling good the 1st few days of the season- hopefully again this year

30-Sep-14
Sweet, thanks for sharing...

30-Sep-14
Congratulations Charlie! Exceptional critter you got there.

30-Sep-14
Great bull Charlie!!! I would love to do this hunt with you guys but I am committed with some friends to hunt the first week in another unit.

30-Sep-14
had a great time there! anyone thinking about going really should. i'm already looking forward to going back next year, it was great meeting some bowsiters and making new freinds.

Adam

30-Sep-14
Congrats Charlie! This Bowsite regular is interested in joining next year. My last elk hunt was in 2012 which means that I am overdue. I am looking forward to following the rest of this hunt.

30-Sep-14
That group photo looks like Charlie is a bit anemic compared to other guys Charlie you gota start eating better all that road food between all them hunting trips is taking its toll

30-Sep-14
Very technical hunt indeed! Buddy

Great going guys....sic'em Clutch!

30-Sep-14

The next day I was filming Clutch with Dan guiding and we checked a Moultrie trail camera about 300 yards from where I shot my bull! Here is my bull 6 days before I shot him! Beautiful picture! C

30-Sep-14

Rocking R's Link
Thanks everyone.

We were very fortunate to have a great group of bowhunters out this year. It was a lot of fun and it already has me looking forward to archery season next year.

I hope everyone enjoys the semi-live hunt. Charlie and Forest put forth some serious effort capturing all of the footage and Charlie spent a lot of time putting this together. I am excited to see how it turns out.

Rattles33 - You are correct in that Ron Clements built the lodge that we now call home. However, Ron and his outfitting operation did not hunt the same ground that Charlie describes. The ranch that is now connected with the lodge was previously owned and outfitted by a different guy that I now consider a good friend. We pieced the two properties together since they were adjacent to one another. Just wanted to make sure everything is 100% accurate for the thread.

Thanks again!

30-Sep-14
Charlie, Congratulations on a great bull! I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

30-Sep-14
Nice bull Charlie, and he's in the freezer now, no matter the shot !

30-Sep-14
As Charlie mentioned, I could see Charlie's bull long before he saw it--It appeared at first he was coming straight to me from 500 yards away-- he came within 200 yards from me when Dan let out a cow call and the bull immediately turned towards Charlies direction-- the bull was very vocal the entire time-- I couldn't see Charlie or the bull -- then suddenly all was quite-- one of two things I thought happened--- he winded or saw movement and bolted out or Charlie spined him I mean arrowed him---a few minutes later Dan comes and tells me the good news -- first bull down

01-Oct-14
Beautiful bull Charlie! Congratulations!

01-Oct-14
OK. How do we get to day 2? It seems like the only link is through the post; there is no link on the right hand side bar. Multiple attempts at finding a way to Day 2 have been totally unproductive!

>>>>---HELP---->

01-Oct-14

adam's embedded Photo
adam's embedded Photo
i'm falling behind here. Day 1 no cameraman for me, was close all day surrounded by bugles from all directions in the morning, nothing came in though. Fast forward to the evening Landon (my guide) and I were setup and just after shooting light we had a cow come in right at us and stopped at no more than 3 yards, she just stood there for a good couple minutes, she had a nice bull about 15 yards behind her, no shot it was too late and she was right in between us. It was quite the encounter though, we just hung tight and waited until they fed down the hill away from us and we backed out and headed home. More on this on day 2 stay tuned.....

01-Oct-14
I have never seen a elk duck a arrow! They can move so fast for being so big!

01-Oct-14
great thread...nice Bull...makes me want to book now

01-Oct-14
Congrats thanks for sharing I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery but enjoy the stories.Lewis

01-Oct-14
Great! I didnt realize Charlie was the author/hunter till the bottom of the first page. FYI

01-Oct-14
My Grandpappy always said an arrow in spine saves time....

01-Oct-14
Congrats Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!

01-Oct-14
Nice Work, Charlie!

Sorry to hear about Adam's bull not being recovered. Gotta respect his decision to end the hunt...I probably would have kept hunting after an exhaustive search, that's just me.

Best of Luck, Jeff

01-Oct-14
Congrats thanks for sharing I'm still recovering from shoulder surgery but enjoy the stories.Lewis

01-Oct-14
Gonna be EM Charlie here pretty soon instead of HT Charlie.... Knocking em down pretty good the last couple years. Good job. Congrats! Again!

I was feeling your pain with that tough pack out though.... not sure I could'a made it comming out of that hell hole... good thing you had such a great crew to pitch in.... hehehehehe....

01-Oct-14
Way to go Charlie! Congrats! Look forward to you other guys unleashing some carbon!

Mark

01-Oct-14
Congrats Charlie! Terrific hunt so far and great elk!

01-Oct-14
Congrats Charlie! Terrific hunt so far and great elk!

01-Oct-14
Why did he wait so long to take the shot. It seemed like he had better shots earlier. Then he took the shot when the bull was ready to bolt.

01-Oct-14
This was Adams first elk hunt. Somethings you learn by doing some by not doing.

01-Oct-14
I want to say thank you to all of you bowsiters and especially Pat who bring the hunting stories to life. I haven't posted anything but I've read them all for years; from musk ox to sheep to pronghorn to elk the stories have been great...keep them coming.

Time for this Jersey boy to get my butt off the couch and go west. After watching these latest elk videos and reading it all I contacted Dan and booked it for 2015. I fully admit that I know little about elk but with Dan's help I think I can do it. Tomorrow I will be at the gym by 5am and target practice nightly. Not going to let the mountain or my aim beat me. Can't wait for the hunt of a lifetime. Thanks all.

01-Oct-14
I learned the hard way on that one.. I think about that a thousand times a day still, but I can't change what happened all I can do is learn from it and become better because I know what not to do now. Sucks to learn that way, but I am sure I'm not the only one it's happened to.

Adam

01-Oct-14
Bowdoc - Really looking forward to meeting you next year. Love to hear about the gym and shooting. Sounds like you will be ready!

Adam - We're going to make it happen next year. I think you will find that a little experience goes a long ways. I am flattered to have you back in camp next year.

Carry on guys. Looking forward to tomorrow's update!

01-Oct-14
Charlie, congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Adam, tough luck, you can second guess yourself forever but don't beat yourself up. You did all you could, it doesn't always work out. We hate to end up with the result you did, but you didn't take a bad shot, you really didn't do anything wrong. As Pat says, next time.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.

02-Oct-14

In a short time day three of our Rocking R hunt will be posted! I had the pleasure of filming Clutch's elk kill and man o man was it exciting! Clutch has a proper handle! He gets it done! Can you say Frontal shot and down in 75 yards???? Sweet!! Enjoy!

02-Oct-14
Special thanks to Pat as I accidentally deleted Clutch's kill shot video but Pat recovered it! A modern day miracle. Amazing

This video is the retrieval of the arrow from the lungs! Clutch uses a VPA three blade fixed! Awesome!

02-Oct-14
Clutch, the sniper, waiting in the shadows for his victim to round the corner! Nicely done guys!

Congrats on a great hunt!

Mark

02-Oct-14
I too, much like Bowdoc, habitually follow the events posted on this site. I have been a Bowsite member for about 10 years now but have always remained on the outside looking in.

After reading these blogs about Rocking R Ranch and all the positive testimonials, I decided it was time for my first ever archery elk hunt. I contacted Dan last night and had a great conversation with him. This morning myself and my brother booked for 2015!

The phrase "I can't wait" is a huge understatement and the next year will pass painfully slow.

Many thanks to all who have recommended Rocking R Ranch as a prime destination for the ultimate bowhunting experience.

02-Oct-14
Great job guys! Thanks for taking us along...

02-Oct-14
Charlie thanks for heads up on your's and the other guys hunt. You and the others did a great job on the video's and a fine job on the write up. Congrats to all of you on a great bow hunt. It was fun to follow along and be able to see what happened.

It won't be long before next year rolls around, and the the bulls will once again be:

photo 9-3.jpg

PS You just have to love those close frontal shots don't you?

Have a great bow hunt. BB

02-Oct-14
Great job guys and you did fine Adam. We have all been there and if not, will be one day.

Learning from each encounter and doing your best are what matters. Great hunt guys.

02-Oct-14
awesome hunt....great read..

02-Oct-14
Adam, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just was wondering why the shot wasn't taken earlier. I thought maybe you were in the open too much and maybe couldn't get drawn undetected or something like that. I got caught with my pants down on my first elk hunt a few years ago due to lack of experience also. Good luck in the future.

02-Oct-14

Dan, his guides and cooks are first rate hard working young folks that are a pleasure to be around! Here is Dan's Dad and the two cooks Derick and his wife!

You guys who have already booked for next year congrats and see you in September!! This is an action packed elk hunt!

BTW, both muzzleloader cow tag guys Mike and Dan also got their elk!

02-Oct-14

adam's embedded Photo
adam's embedded Photo
12yards, I did not think you were being a jerk at all. I think the same thing every time I watch the video. it was a learning experience for me for sure, and next time I wont make the same mistakes!! I'm no longer beating myself up over it, just using it for motivation next year!

for the guys that booked next year what week?

Adam

02-Oct-14
I hadn't been on an elk hunt in a while and this trip really revitalized elk hunting for me--I was with a great group of guys and looking forward to be with them again--Dan operation is top notch-- he has a great lodge and cooking staff--his guides are very capable to put you with in range of a shot--there are plenty of elk in his area--looking forward to next year-- good luck to all this hunting season

02-Oct-14
Congratulations guys! Looks like a great time.

03-Oct-14

Owner/Outfitter Dan and Clutch with the Lone Cone mountain in the back ground!

03-Oct-14
Adam, my brother and I booked for the 2nd week. Only 344 more days to wait!!

03-Oct-14
Congrats Clutch!!! Looks like a great time!

03-Oct-14
wtbowhtr ill be there the same as you guys also, see you in 344 days!

adam

03-Oct-14

So good!

03-Oct-14
Adam and Wtbowhtr, I'm booked for the first week as well and a friend will be joining me so Dan now has a full house. This is a hunt of a lifetime! can't wait as well. Brendan

03-Oct-14
Adam and Bowdoc - I need to clarify a bit. We will be there the week of 9/12 thru 9/16. I believe this is the first of the two Bowsite hunts. I said the second week due to the fact that Dan offers an earlier hunt for the week of 9/3 thru 9/7.

04-Oct-14

Charlie Rehor's Link
The meat processor we all used in Montrose was Goods Processing. (Link attached). They did a terrific job and were able to turn the processing around in 18 hours with a flash freeze. That and readily available dry ice in town made the three day drive home with the meat a piece of cake. Highly recommended! C

04-Oct-14
Damn! The only thing Y'all were missing was a great CAJUN cook. Guess I didn't check my "inbox" soon enough for the invite! LOL

Congrats on a great time and a great hunt!

05-Oct-14

This is why I drive! C

06-Oct-14

Rocking R's embedded Photo

Rocking R's Link
Thanks for all of the positive comments. We had a great group of bowhunters this year. Our last archery group of the year included a group of lady bowhunters. It was a lot of fun to have them in camp and they had a great time together. We look forward to hunting with them again. Here is one of the ladies with her bull. Not going to share all of the photos from the last week but I wanted to share this one. Its not every day that someone shoots a bull that dies face down in a creek! Pretty cool photo if you ask me!

06-Oct-14
Congratulations to everyone on what looks like one terrific week!

06-Oct-14
Great job all and congrats on a great hunt can't wait for my shoulder to heal up Lewis

07-Oct-14

Last post! The sun set in the west as I drive home to RI! Thanks for following along! C

DIY- Drive it yourself:)

07-Oct-14
Thanks for taking us all along on this adventure.

Safe travels

07-Oct-14

Rocking R's Link
Thanks for sharing the experience Charlie. It was neat to see a lot of the footage so I could relive those hunts with you guys. Gearing up for rifle season now. Here is a picture of the Lone Cone last weekend. Happy Hunting this fall to everyone!

07-Oct-14
Thanks for sharing a great story of some hunters really having some fun together. Congrats on some nice trophies. Know ya'll appreciated Forest's calling and filming. Just makes the memories sweeter.

Safe travels returning home to all. DIY or professional airline pilot guided !!

08-Oct-14
What a neat hunt guys. Congrats to everyone and thanks for taking us along!

22-Oct-14
great hunt! Thanks for sharing. I wish I could afford a hunt like his.

• Sitka Gear