Twanger 30-Sep-14
Zbone 30-Sep-14
Turkey Hunter 30-Sep-14
Dude 30-Sep-14
Zbone 30-Sep-14
Twanger 30-Sep-14
nutritionist 01-Oct-14
30-Sep-14
I have always used a mix of white clover on our food plots with good success. I am out of seed and a local farm store only has red clover in stock. I have been told that red clover does not last very long and may only be good for one season. What has been your experience? Would you recommend red clover?

30-Sep-14
Been my understanding medium red clover is a perennial, and white clovers are annuals....

30-Sep-14
Quit using Crimson years ago. In Georgia on our lease we use. White clover in Arrowleaf or Yuchi. Both are very good, and not as as expensive as Whietail Institute. You can get white in perennial or Annual. Whitetail deer love the White clover

30-Sep-14
Red clover does not last as many years as white. It is generally considered a biannual. It also has a high stem to leave ratio.

However, deer do like it as long as it is kept in a growing stage and not allowed to mature. I have deer in a clover hay field above my house most of the summer. When I allow the clover to become too mature ( clover seed heads become brown) they are gone. Pasture it or cut for hay, deer are back in the regrowth.

30-Sep-14
Yeah Dude, my bad, I meant to say medium red clover is biannual rather than perennial...

30-Sep-14
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I should be able to use the red clover in a pinch and then frost seed with white later.

Thanks again.

01-Oct-14
Arrowleaf, berseem are annual white clovers Crimson is an annul red clover

Most clovers are either 2 or 3 year clovers. But you can keep clovers going for many many years. You over seed, you frost seed, you can let some go to seed, you can also go with.....KURA CLOVER. It looks just like medium red clover and a client has some in the ground yet that is 23 years old.

White clovers include: white dutch, alsike and ladino clovers. These are all perennials. The ladinos are highest producers, alsike covers low pH and wet ground better and the white dutch works well for wheel traffic areas, logging trails, and as a percentage of clover mixes.

• Sitka Gear