bowbearman 01-Oct-14
prezboys 01-Oct-14
midwest 01-Oct-14
Downunder58 01-Oct-14
Golden Pyr 02-Oct-14
cubbies77 05-Oct-14
glass eye 05-Oct-14
30-Sep-14
I am deciding on a hunt for Red Stag in New Zealand. Looking at going in three years. Anyone that has gone before please give me what I need to know. Outfitters that you have used and all of the little things people never think of? Bob.

01-Oct-14
I did a thread about a year ago called "Cabin fever...how about a NZ Red Stag bowhunt?" It might provide a little insight....

01-Oct-14
Contact Gerald Telford.

01-Oct-14
I hunted with Dave Musgrave of South Pacific Hunters and would highly reccomend him great guy and great hunt!!

Aaron

01-Oct-14
I would definitely talk with Ben Smith of New Zealand Safaris. He has a fantastic area for free range stags, big ones in his area, plus Ben takes you himself. I hunted with him twice and rate him as one of the best guides I have ever hunted with.

01-Oct-14
Inside the fence or out?

01-Oct-14
There are many good outfitters and guides but make sure you understand what you're getting. A friend booked a free range hunt that turned out to be behind wire. "Fair chase" is usually behind wire but free range shouldn't be. If you're looking for a stag with large numbers of points you can be sure that it was selectively breed and farm reared whether it is offered as free range or not. You could always try a do it yourself hunt if your not looking for a trophy class animal.

02-Oct-14
Wilderness Quest or Kiwi SAFARIS. I LIVED IN NZ FOR A YEAR .... Arrowed a tahr also...... Wilderness Queat is near Milford Sound with unsurpassed nartural beauty.

05-Oct-14
Plus 1 for Ben Smith of New Zealand Safaris

05-Oct-14
I have hunted NZ the past 3 years in a row, but I have only hunted tahr, chamois, and waterfowl. All DIY. If you are dreaming of those freakishly huge stags, you can be sure that it is a canned hunt. Even though it may look and feel like a wild hunt, it is canned, and scoffed at by kiwis. There are wild reds on private property that can get big, but not freakishly big, those freaks are farm raised and released shortly before you arrive. Public land reds can get large but a 6x6 is considered a great animal.

• Sitka Gear