Russell 05-Oct-14
Russell 05-Oct-14
Panhandle Bob 06-Oct-14
Panhandle Bob 06-Oct-14
SteveB 06-Oct-14
Nick Muche 11-Oct-14
sticksender 11-Oct-14
01-Oct-14
My pocket cam got wet in Alaska and died on me. Time for a new one. I want quality, a fast lens, decent zoom, and small and lightweight as it will live in my packpack. Right now the top contenders based on specs seem to be: Cannon G7, Leica C, and Nikon P340. Anyone have any thoughts? Leaning towards the Nikon for savings, but could possibly be swayed.

01-Oct-14
Sony RX100 (II, III) takes some very good pictures.

01-Oct-14
Nikon builds a great Dslr but I won't consider buying one of their little cameras. They aren't in the game. Cannon, Leica, Panasonic and Sony would be my choice Way Way above Nikon!

Have a great bow hunt. BB

01-Oct-14
Based on the experience you just had, you should look at getting an Olympus Tough TG-2 or TG-3. They may be a little bulkier than you are looking for, but take great pictures and are waterproof.

01-Oct-14
I took the Olympus TG with me to Alaska this year. Freeze proof, shock proof, water proof...you may not like the zoom, but there is a zoom lens attachment (doubles) and a fish eye lens. Maybe something to consider. I was there around the same time you were and caught a lot of rain...the camera was in my pants cargo pocket or my belt pocket on my pack the whole time...no problems.

01-Oct-14
Buddy had a Sony Cyber shot in Colorado. It took great pics with a 20x optical zoom. Compact.

01-Oct-14
X2: Sony RX100 I II or III is the action without question. Ideally the III but money is a factor.

02-Oct-14
I like the saying that “newer isn’t always better”. I had an HP 707 that fit nicely in a shirt pocket, or a belt pouch. Sadly the LCD screen took a dump. I found a Sony that was similar in design and took it with me to Colorado last year. While perched on a point glassing one day, I noticed several cows passing through a clearing over 300 yards down the mountain. I managed to zoom to the greatest extent; finally got them focused, and snapped a picture before they went back into the trees. After a few minutes, I grabbed my pack to move to another spot. When I glanced back to the clearing, there was a beautiful 6X6 following the cows. I tried in vain to zoom out, focus, find the bull and get a shot. Never happened. Flash back to 2012. I just climbed up to a flat top that had a huge meadow that you dream of with elk standing in. The wind was in my face and I contemplated edging into the timber when the wind swirled, there was a snort and a huge bull busted out into the meadow, about 40 yards away, stood for a second, then proceeded to run hell bent across the meadow. When I came to my senses, I grabbed my trusty HP 707 camera, zoomed to the greatest extent and snapped a picture of the biggest bull I ever hope to see as he paused close to 400 yards away. A perfect picture. The point is, the difference between the two episodes was the fact the HP 707 had a view finder and the Sony didn’t. The view finder allowed me to center the distant elk without trying to find him on the screen. The 707 isn’t made any more, but can be had on the secondary market Just sayin

05-Oct-14
Bought a Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS pocket camera a couple years ago. Very simply to use, takes great pictures, and videos too.

Only drawback is the camera requires a special battery.

Used the camera last month in AK. Shot video and took 200+ pics. One fully charged battery was sufficient.

05-Oct-14
Can some of guys post some pics from the cameras you used?

I'm currently considering a Panasonic, the battery life looks incredible.

05-Oct-14
Here's a video I shot last yr. Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS

05-Oct-14

Russell's embedded Photo
Russell's embedded Photo
A picture I took last month. Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS

06-Oct-14

Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo
Alaska this past August

06-Oct-14

Same trip

06-Oct-14

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
Sony NEX 6

11-Oct-14
I just got a TG-3, man what a sweet little camera. Now if only I knew how to use it!

11-Oct-14
I bought an Olympus OMD EM-5 to replace the point and shoot that I usually carry. It's only a Micro 4/3 sensor type camera, but takes interchangeable lenses. I'm finding the image quality is drastically better. And it's still small enough to fit in a belt holster pouch, even with a small zoom lens. After seeing the quality, both still pics and video, I sure wish I'd upgraded from a compact camera a long time ago. It'll also record 1080i HD video at 60 frames per second. BTW, check Fumfie for some of the best prices on cameras.

• Sitka Gear