tthomas 02-Oct-14
bowhunt1 02-Oct-14
spike buck 02-Oct-14
BIGHORN 02-Oct-14
Bear Track 02-Oct-14
01-Oct-14
Nope, but do declare it as a weapon.

01-Oct-14
There is a form I believe you have to have to technically bring a bow back into the country. Told you have to get it at a customs facility and they record the bow serial numbers. I didn't do it but nobody asked either when I came back to the us last week.

01-Oct-14
Not for Ontario. ..

02-Oct-14
no

never heard of what pete said, but I only go to hunt canada 2-3 times a year.

02-Oct-14

HockeyDad's Link
Pete is correct, there is a form you can get customs to sign off on. It is US Customs and Border Control Form 4457 'Registration of personal effects taken abroad'. It is primarily intended to eliminate any import duty on expensive electronics and optics by proving they were owned by you before you left the country.

I got mine for my bow/accessories, bino, spotter, rangefinder and laptop computer. When I returned from Australia I showed it, but never was asked about the equipment when returning from Africa.

02-Oct-14
I haven't filled one out and have been there several times in the last few years with no problems.

02-Oct-14
This us not a Canadian form as I understand it. It's a us form to come. Back in with the bows. Was told about it last week when we return entered when my buddy told me to keep my mouth shut if possible when talking to customs. I have seen the form.

02-Oct-14
We crossed at Emerson on I-29 above Grand Forks, ND which is the border station at Pembina, anyhow dad had a rifle and coming back in we had 4 Caribou, horns, capes, meat and we completed the import form inside ourselves, put it into an open bin where you get the form and never had anyone even look at his gun or in our truck going in or coming out. They did not even stamp our passports.

02-Oct-14
Customs form 4457 I believe

02-Oct-14
It could possibly be a just in case form, as in just in case you piss off customs form?

02-Oct-14
No

02-Oct-14
Or abusing a form to target hunters.

02-Oct-14
Has anyone here ever been asked to produce this form when returning from Canada? If so were you carrying gear for someone else not accompanying you at the time?

02-Oct-14
nope

02-Oct-14
After a little digging it seems the form was intended to list possessions so you would not be re taxed when re entering the country on the items. When my buddy's secretary asked the local customs agent at Westchester airport if it also applied to bows he said "yes". Therefore whether you need it or not may depend on the local customs official or if they belong to PETA. This is not a form for weapons specifically but is directed to duty charges. Personally I'll just take my chances since the items and form have to be filled out in front of a customs official at a port of entry and you have to have the physical item with you for them to list it.

02-Oct-14
Pat

When you arrive at Canada Customs, you will fill out your declaration form. Tick the box that says you do not have a weapon. But on top of both boxes, write archery equipment. 9 time out of ten they will ask if its a crossbow, and when you say no, they will pass you through.

On the once chance, they will scan your bow through an xray machine through a separate line up. Which can be very long.

02-Oct-14
No

02-Oct-14
Bows do not need a firearms declaration form or any other form for that matter.

There is a form that a person can fill out at the U.S. customs before crossing into Canada. The form proves items you are crossing with were not purchased in Canada while visiting.

It gives the traveller a piece of mind that the U.S. customs won't say they were purchased in Canada and charge them a duty upon returning back into the U.S. This form is for expensive items.

Very few people go through the hassle of filling out the form.

This is by land crossing.

02-Oct-14
Pat,

I had a CBP Form 4457 completed for all my items like rifle, bow, binoculars, spotting scope, range finders, and cameras that have a serial number on them. This is for when you return to the U.S. to prove that you didn't purchase the items in another country and Uncle Sam didn't get their fair share of the tax monies.

You do have to fill out a Non-resident Firearm Declaration form RCMP GRC 5589e at the border when you cross into Canada. There is a $25 fee which must be paid in Canadian funds. This form must accompany the firearm anyplace you go. You don't need this form for a bow.

When you return to the U.S. border, you must complete a Wildlife Export Permit License and list your Canadian hunting license number and tag number on the form. The form is available at the U.S. border crossing.

Hope that this is what you were looking for.

02-Oct-14
It's a just in case form Pat. Not really needed unless you have a piece of equipment that is in new equipment that they may ask you to produce the bill of sale. Jeannine and I have one for our booth when we go to sport shows so Canada does not try to tax us with something we may have bought while in the US. Both borders are the same.

• Sitka Gear