Jaeger63 14-Oct-14
Jaeger63 16-Oct-14
TurkeyFoot 17-Oct-14
hunt'n addict 17-Oct-14
Grounblind 17-Oct-14
TurkeyFoot 17-Oct-14
Jaeger63 19-Oct-14
14-Oct-14
I'd like to hear from anyone who has been a member of MAHA in the last couple of years. All the reviews I can pull up are several years old. I'd like to know how your experience was whether it was good, bad, or ugly. I was considering them for next year in Zone 4 in Iowa and possibly Kansas as well. Thanks much for any info you could give.

14-Oct-14
Never heard of them! Deer hunting in the Midwest is terrific. Once you start your hooked! Good luck! C

14-Oct-14

Oakie's embedded Photo
Oakie's embedded Photo
Been hunting with them for going on 6 years. This is quality ground for do-it-yourself hunters. The top row in the pic are all from Kansas. Range from 140-158. Not pictured, a 150 Missouri gun kill on a 15 minute hunt on ground I'd never seen. Also not pictured, a booner IA buck that I missed at 40 yards.

Join!

PM if you have more questions. I'll be happy to answer.

14-Oct-14
Thanks Oakie. PM sent.

16-Oct-14
Thanks Charlie. Yea I've been hunting the mid west for years now and it is a special place for big whitetails! I'm sending you a PM in reference to a PM conversation we had a couple of years back. Its in reference to an outfitter you have used in Iowa.

17-Oct-14
I second Okie on quality ground for do-it-yourself hunters.

For 1/3 to 1/5 the price of one guided hunt in the prospective states you get access to 185,000 acres of property in KS, MO and IA. All of those states produce big deer.

Look at the website, the pictures (just about all from members) speak for themselves.

Realistically there are always things some people don't like and I know several people and things that fall into that category. However, I think that if one is willing to put boots to the ground scouting, the club is a fantastic value.

Personally I am hunting their IA unit 5 ground this year and so far I could not be happier.

As Okie said, Join!

You can PM me also if you have more questions.

17-Oct-14
I have two friends that were in it for a about 3 years. Then they went to Iowa and after that trip they dropped out. My opinion is if you have time to research (public land, walk in hunting, or knock on doors) I think you would be better off.

I have hunted private land in KS for a few years, and the a farm north of where I hunted was a MAHA property. It was a constant rotation of guys going in and out when they should be sitting.

PM me if you want some specific information on KS walk in hunting.

17-Oct-14
If you live close to those states it might be a good thing to belong. You only get three days to hunt on any one property. Lodging might prove difficult in a lot of areas also. Especially in rut weeks or gun season openers.

17-Oct-14

TurkeyFoot's Link
Hunt'n addict - There are definitely some under utilized properties also, but I can see how some may be a rotating door (Not been my personal experience ever). They have so many quality properties that you can move on to the next one.

Groundblind - The rules (link attached) are posted for everyone to see on the website. I think they currently state you hunt each reservable piece 12 times in one year (21 h). I heard that may be 14 soon.

If you do read the rules look at each one through a hunting pressure perspective and equal access to all. IMO those seem to be the basic principals.

Stating lodging is difficult is not really fair as part of an assessment of the club in my opinion. However, if planned appropriately I have had no issues getting lodging for Iowa, Missouri and Kansas Deer\Turkey seasons. It is something you have to think about in advance, but most people do that for any vacation they are going on anyway.

19-Oct-14
Thanks much to all who have posted. Just as I figured I would get mixed reviews. I don't believe anywhere is perfect, unless you have the Drury brothers or Lakosky's property LOL!!!. Unfortunately, due to a changed work schedule, I want be hunting whitetails this year so I'm getting my fix by researching for next year!. Best of luck to everyone lucky enough to be hunting the midwest this year!

• Sitka Gear