sitO 18-Oct-14
Hawkeye 18-Oct-14
Mark Watkins 20-Oct-14
Ambush 20-Oct-14
Dampland 27-Oct-14
16-Oct-14

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Shot this mature doe ten minutes after legal shooting light. Shot her 10 yards in front of me and she died less than 25 yards behind me.

30 minutes later I heard leaf liter noise and looked behind me and a pack of 3 coyotes were walking along together. They came within 20 yards of the dead doe but did not detect her and kept walking at a fast clip. I tried mouth calling to get them to stop but could not. Even after they were out of sight I called for a little more, but to no avail.

10 minutes after that I heard squirrels barking near my doe and heard leaf liter noise again but assumed they were alarmed by the dead doe. I finally turned around and there was a fourth coyote standing on my dead deer starting to pull skin off.

One of my best shots ever as I had to thread the arrow through about a 2' opening. The yote died within 15 feet of the deer. Redemption after missing 2 already this year.

Never had that happen before.

16-Oct-14
Double congratulations!!!

16-Oct-14
Cool thread! Congrats on the deer and the yote.

16-Oct-14
Great experience!

16-Oct-14
Well done on both!

16-Oct-14
nice looking yote but dosent count killed over bait:>

16-Oct-14
Atta boy Frank, luv it!

16-Oct-14
nice!

16-Oct-14
GhostBird X2

16-Oct-14
Excellent!!! Shoot em all. Congrats all around

16-Oct-14
Frank, Great job, when I read the title, my guess was it was you. You still kill more predators with a bow than anyone I know of. Keep it up.

16-Oct-14
Nice double!

16-Oct-14
"Shot this mature doe ten minutes after legal shooting light. "

Congrats but you might want to edit this...I assume it's not what you meant to type

16-Oct-14
Congrats on the deer and coyote. Is it a male so the factory is still going?:-)

16-Oct-14
I assume it was ten minutes after legal light-in the morning.

16-Oct-14
Nice work... Ed F

16-Oct-14
OBVIOUSLY he meant 10 minutes after legal in the morning. Great job on them both! I'm sure it was a cool experience!

16-Oct-14
Look who is talking about editing what you type...LMAO.

16-Oct-14
great story.

16-Oct-14
Pot calls kettle black lol

Awesome story and great kills!

16-Oct-14
Yes, that is awesome!

16-Oct-14
Turkey - If it was 10 minutes after legal light in the evening.....and then the coyote was 10 minutes later......it might have been too dark for the picture. Here's your sign!

16-Oct-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Very cool!

I shot this one a few years ago and have taken hair off of a few others over the years...

16-Oct-14

Not long after I shot that yote, I saw movement and thought I was going to get a shot at another one. It turned out to be a bobcat and as it passed downwind of my arrow that was stuck in the ground. The cat caught the scent of the arrow and moved in and sniffed my arrow that had passed through the coyote.

16-Oct-14
Congrats great job Lewis

16-Oct-14

Thanks Everyone, it was a cool experience. Richard, thank you, but I missed 2 yotes this year already, and at half the distance of this one. I am slipping:)

Yes, I think you can tell by the light this was an AM hunt. Also, notice the deer has not been field dressed and I would not have let her lay over night until sun-up the next day. Look how fresh they are.

The timing of right after light was important because many of you know I had back surgery this year. I pack my stand in each time and since surgery have been concerned about how much I might have slowed down. I was at location and up in stand (about 1/2 mile walk) at about 7 minutes longer than the same location last year. I was up well before legal shooting light, and so I was very happy with the outcome.

A few years back I shot a coyote that died 10 yards from the stand and had a flock of hens come by and the dominant one stood on top of the dead dog at 15 yards and started raking him. I took her and 2 deer that all came by within less than 15 minutes. Sometimes it seems like close by harvested game provides more opportunities. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

16-Oct-14
Way to go Frank...nothing more gratifying than giving a coyote his parking ticket!! Think of all the fawns you probably saved!

16-Oct-14
I'm glad someone is getting a chance at those "dogs", They kill a lot of deer, especially in packs. Congrats!on a job well done.

16-Oct-14
That is an awesome photo HfW!! I might need to start carrying more arrows. That is one action packed hunt!!!!

16-Oct-14
Wow, what a great pic! That's a morning to remember!

16-Oct-14
Good job. God Bless

16-Oct-14
Somebody failed the IQ test!!! Lol. Omg

16-Oct-14
I thought illegal came after legal???

16-Oct-14
Northerners and Canadian are notorious for shooting stuff at nite and bragging about it...I see it all the time. Killed a big bear last nite aye!!!

16-Oct-14
It was a morning hunt, Tesla.

16-Oct-14
Yes once while in Illinois had a fawn bust out of timber , she ran tongue out across cut bean field , on her tail was a pack of yotes !!! They stopped before running cut field . I drilled one, others ran in circles.I hit a second one in neck pinned him to ground , he spun around a few times on arrow then took off leaving arrow sticking up in dirt !!

About 15 min later a 8 pt comes in walks over to the arrow sticking in dirt and smells it , then walks close to the dead yote and stares for about 10 min . I have thew buck on video cool stuff a nice 8pt with a busted rack

16-Oct-14
And southerners brag about killing birds haha

16-Oct-14
Now I know your just full of $H!T TBM.

We say "eh" not "aye". And then only when there's tourists around.

And we're good enough to kill'em in the daylight, we don't need them Alabama 'luminaters.

16-Oct-14
Arrr, good post Ambush. You are right on the money, eh.

16-Oct-14
TBM is just playing his fiddle again.

Thought I would defend him so his regulars do not have to;)

17-Oct-14
Big antlers are fun to bring home, but a story like yours is one that you will never get tired of telling. I'm betting it will even get better with age.

17-Oct-14
Frank,

Even getting drawn on a coyote is an art. You have already done it 3 times this year???

I think you are a skilled predator hunter and also think you have too many coyotes in your area. Keep up the good work.

17-Oct-14
Wow, thanks Richard! I am one of those people who is mostly lucky, not skill. I agree with there being too many of them though. This year seems especially bad in both KS and MO. From talking with others, I am hearing much the same. Are your farms loaded as well?

17-Oct-14
Ain't that "baiting"?

:-)

Yes, I'm from Alabama too. LOL

Nice shooting and a neat memory.

17-Oct-14
Frank,

Luck works on deer, at times on turkeys, never on coyotes.

Our numbers on coyotes seem lower than in the past and only got 4-6 on trail cams this year out of about 150K pics. Not seeing or hearing many either. Not sure if the abundance of small game is keeping them out of the deer areas or only have a few.

So many in my areas were unfortunately strangled in fence lines that it may have done some damage. We are about 90 short over the last 3 years. :)

17-Oct-14
I thought illegal came after legal???

Only in the Alabama alphabet.....:)

17-Oct-14
double post

17-Oct-14
my sister had a 70-80 lb. doe killed 30 yds.fro her back deck yesterday by a yote 3:00 in afternoon Lewis

18-Oct-14

axle2axle's embedded Photo
axle2axle's embedded Photo
Hey Habitat,

Shot this 3X2 muley from a ground blind in AZ a few years ago. 18 yard pass-through. The buck runs about 50 yards and stops in view with blood draining out both sides. After standing for about 15 seconds, the buck runs around the corner of the wash out of sight.

I try to be patient and give the buck some time, but within 10 minutes time a coyote appears where the buck was standing and starts sniffing the blood on the ground. It then follows the path the buck took out of sight.

I think to myself...this can't be good...so I unzip the blind and go check things out. I get to the blood spot, but can't see around the corner of the wash...so I start to blood trail. I get around the first corner and there is the coyote feeding on my dead deer!

The coyote didn't have much time to work...less than a minute perhaps...but had already chewed a hole in the guts and had eaten a couple of fist-sized chunks of venison off one of the hind quarters from inside the skin. The coyote must have had its head completely inside that deer's chest cavity to pull that off.

Amazing how fast these hungry coyotes get to work on downed game.

Anyway, thought this photo sums it up...if you see one going after your downed game...better get on them quick!

Good hunting.

18-Oct-14
Very cool hunt.

18-Oct-14
Nice work Frank...keep it comin!

18-Oct-14
Very cool! Great shots:)

20-Oct-14
Frank, you the man! Very cool pic!

Mark

20-Oct-14

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Whacked this guy this morning from a tree stand. bad place for a fawn eater to hang out.

27-Oct-14
For the OP,

How big was the mature doe you shot? Also, what state was it shot in?

Reason I ask, is that the Coyote looks huge next to the doe, and around here in Wisconsin, the coyotes are small compared to even 8 month old fawns.

Just curious, thanks.

28-Oct-14
KS

The doe was very big with twin fawns. They are all healthy this year due to good moisture. I thought the yote looked big as well, and he was, but it is the camera angle that is deceiving. He obviously was close and looks bigger, but when standing over top of them he was quite a bit smaller. He was also much easier to lift up onto the ATV:)

• Sitka Gear