kentuckbowhnter 21-Nov-14
jjb4900 21-Nov-14
W8N4RUT 21-Nov-14
ART338 24-Nov-14
The Yode 25-Nov-14
spike78 25-Nov-14
17-Oct-14

60X Strings's Link
Just seen this on another forum. What's everyone think? Sad to see that many jobs lost in the industry.

http://www.news8000.com/news/Sparta-company-lays-off-workers/29170868

17-Oct-14
yes thats sad i wish all the best !!

18-Oct-14
Maybe their foray into crossbows was a bad idea? :) I have heard they are having some major safety and failure issues... and no I don't own one or ever want to.

18-Oct-14
Xman i thinks its all these small bow companies making a good BOW !! cutting a chunk out of the pie !! Plus Mathews i bet pays a ton to celeb type hunters . Also the failure of the monster and creed at a time when other companies shined has taken the spotlight away from the big name !!

Xman BIG market for the xbow these days , A company is almost forced into this market , if they want to stay in the game !!!

18-Oct-14
Mathews finally figured out they were top heavy. Many upper management positions as I understand. It is never good when people get let go. At my place of employment they let 7 people go in the last 6 months. If things don't pick up they will let approx. 6 more go. That is what we have been told.

18-Oct-14
Wondering if they could have dropped a celebrity or two to save a job or two?

18-Oct-14
HOPE and CHANGE ! Obamacare will do that to a company. Everybody knows it's cause of crossbows and George Bush. Yea rite.

18-Oct-14
"Catch Us If You Can"

This proves you can be caught. I had the opportunity to tour the Mathews/Mission factory a couple of years ago while attending the P&Y Convention. Very impressive to say the least.

I was in the personnel area and had to be involved in laying people off (3 times). I can truthfully say those were some of my most horrible days in my career. Seeing innocent people and their families hunt, suffer and some destroyed due to poor management decisions of a company.

Mathews had a niche with the "solo clam". They built a bow that offered great qualities: decent speed, smooth draw and quiet. They got sucked into the "bow speed" war and started putting out shoddy products. They did not listen to what bowhunters (their customers) wanted. They thought they were invincible and celebrity names would sell the product. Matt was more interested in music than bows- yet bows were his "cash cows." Good product and management was lost as well as customers.

Other companies have listened to their customers and produced quality products and have won over former Mathews customers.

I have seen other companies suffer in the past- Bear Archery and PSE come to memory pretty fast. Both companies put out quality products and then both went to the bottom- Both companies have been able to resurrect and rebuild themselves, but with very had work. This is a very difficult task once a company tumbles.

We will see how Mathews Archery handles the crisis. Interesting days to follow.

18-Oct-14
Maybe if they cut into their advertising budget they could afford to keep the 35 and hire another 100???

18-Oct-14
But Tiffany says their bows are "ahhsome" What more could they need?

18-Oct-14
Tiffany who??

18-Oct-14
yes cityhunter very good point, I didn't think of that.

too bad folks are losing their jobs, I do like their bows, on my third now.

18-Oct-14
Moving some production to China???

I'm gonna guess Serb just kicked the cat.....

18-Oct-14
THere are a lot of good bows in the market now, building a bow isn't rocket science and a lot of new companies umped in recently. They stone walled themself with stating that they would never build anything but a one cam bow and now that the single cam craze is wearing off their sales are going down. 10 years ago they were innovative, now they just keep trying to do the same thing with a different look. How long have people complained about their wide grip? What did they do to address this problem? Nothing!

Advertising is a double edged sword. If done correctly it increases sales, if over done it just hurts the bottom line.

18-Oct-14

Hammer's Link
Here is the story I read on this.

18-Oct-14
A company has to cut some jobs, and unless you are top management at Matthews, or their accountant you can't know what the problem is.

Heck could be they bought some better machinery in order to be more efficient and needed to lean things out a bit. Competition is tough. I just love when people have the answers to someone else's business. It's almost like having answers for someone else's marriage lol. Just my $0.02

18-Oct-14
Please don't tell me they let "The Nuge" and Shamain go!!

18-Oct-14
Maybe people finally figured out these rubber deer bows are not made for hunting. I'm just glad Hoyt stayed making a forgiving hunting bow.

18-Oct-14
TBM....you must have bought the Hoyt Hamblaster model! Forgiving???

18-Oct-14
My mathews is 6 years old and I have no reason to buy a new one any time soon. When I do it will most likely be another mathews.

18-Oct-14
maybe they finally figured out their bows were over priced.

19-Oct-14
Seems Mat is actually calculatingly evil. First he gets an idea than pursues it, builds up a successful company to hire people and make them dependent on their job. All just so he can lay them off later and laugh at their suffering.

Just like the food plot guys. Feed'em, get'em comfy, then WHAM!! put an arrow through their guts.

Some folks have obviously never run a business, especially through tough times.

19-Oct-14
When I read Ambush's post above I thought he was on the "bash" track until the last sentence where he nailed it! So true!

I've seen many companies not make the hard decisions and then everybody loses when they go out of business. 35 is a very small % of their total employees and if the vast majority and the company thrives everybody at Mathews and in Sparta wins as well as us consumers.

I was let go twice in my career and EACH time I came out WAY ahead (blessing in disguise) with my next job. The only entity that can currently run at their own free will is the Government and the Government is funded by free enterprise (tax payers like you, I and Mathews. I wish them all well! C

19-Oct-14
Charlie, spot on. It is not easy running a business no matter how big it is. Tough decisions that you at least hope keep management up at night. Some times you have to cut off a limb to save the body. It is not an easy choice.

19-Oct-14
Probably just temporary layoffs that accompany reductions in the level of output. Every successful company goes through this cycle. Like said, layoffs are often blessings in disguise for those that are laid off. I have never owned a Mathews until last year and my Creed is one of the best shooting most forgiving bows I have ever owned. Then again I don't have a huge frame of reference regarding other bows on the market right now.

21-Oct-14
I live and work in Mathews Country and shot them for many years (I now shoot Hoyt which is neither here nor there). I moved over 20 years ago here for one reason, to HUNT DEER. I will tell you this, living in Far Northern Wisconsin and owning a business and traveling into Upper Michigan every day of my life for work- WE HAVE NO DEER. It has NEVER, EVER, been this bad and the primary reason is one animal, WOLVES. Other predators are factors, as is winter, but the wolves destroyed what we have. My employees routinely bought 12-20 Mathews Bows a year, for many years, I know this, because I set them up. The Bow Shop in our town routinely sold 100+ Mathews bows a year, now he sells (6). Just wanted to add another spin to this, as Mathews Mgmt. may not be to blame. I am blessed and fortunate to be able to travel to hunt, but not all are, and their option is "no longer hunting in archery season". It really is that bad here, I live here, and have well managed plots/etc. Oh by the way, you can also buy any wooded 40 in our area for 40 cents on a dollar for what you could have 10 years ago, YES , it has a huge economic affect!!!!

21-Oct-14
Mathews was in a league of their own 10 years ago. What happened I think is these other bow companies are making just has good of bows. I have owned 3 of them and they all shot great. My last bow I bought was a bowtech invasion 3 years ago. I shot it next to the Mathews z7. Bowtech just felt better. Kinda strange since my last 3 bows were Mathews. Had to swallow my Mathews pride to buy the bowtech. I remember the pro shop tech telling how these other bow companies have caught Mathews.

21-Oct-14
they all have the problem that bow technology has plateaued. WIthout significant better performance my last $1000 bows works just about as good as anybodies new $1000 bow. Why would I buy a new one?

21-Oct-14
"they all have the problem that bow technology has plateaued. Without significantly better performance my last $1000 bows works just about as good as anybodies new $1000 bow. Why would I buy a new one?"

Straight Arrow +1

This is the biggest problem. Lack of significant advances and increasing prices. Outfit a bow these days and you can quickly have nearly $2000 in it. That's nuts and out of reach for most common guys and gals. Way better things to spend your money on - like a hunting trip, or a house payment, or fixing the car.

Somebody make a great bow in mass for $500-600 and no one could catch them and they couldn't keep up.

21-Oct-14
"Somebody make a great bow in mass for $500-600 and no one could catch them and they couldn't keep up."

Mathews is doing this with the Mission line. So is Bear, Diamond, and even Hoyt has great offerings in that range. The competition out there is fierce at all price points. It's a great thing for us as archers but it's going to make for leaner times at the bow makers.

21-Oct-14
You guys are assuming they are having financial problems.

Companies routinely have layoffs at the end of the year to make margin. Pretty standard practice and can be temporary layoffs.

Many, many companies from Fortune 100 to small companies do this.

I wouldn't read anything more than that unless you have seen their financials.

21-Oct-14
Might have just gotten rid of some people they did not like? Might be a deer density issue? Might be that the bow fad is wearing off? Might be land access? Might be people sick of the hype they put out. Might be accountants stepping in.... any guess is simply a guess. Many people just seem to take news and work it into their agenda.

21-Oct-14
saying this with a smile but I have yet to shoot a better mathews than my rival pro,, I love my rival pro I know I know its old but man does it shoot so sweet!

okay my point is here in Reedys country (huge massachusetts mathews dealer) I know so many local bowhunters who shoot an old mathews a bow they bought years ago and never wanted to retire it I think mathews did it to themselves.

the newer bows get more and more funny looking and the prices just keep going up most people are like WTF I'm keeping the bow I have now it shoots perfect I'm saving the grand,, and we all heard that how many times?

21-Oct-14
It's a sad bad day when someone loses their job through no fault of their own. Some companies like the USPS need to get rid of management instead of us peeons but that's the way things work. But Mathews has always been a VERY overrated bow plus claiming they invented the single cam bow. That was Tom Jennings. Either way it's bad for the employees but I have no sympathy for Mathews as a company.

21-Oct-14
Every time I lost a job when I was young it was always a blessing in disguise. Use your experience that you gained to get a even better job. I truly believe this.

21-Oct-14
I reckon robotics might have something to do with this.

I've never understood the Mathews bashing. Great company, great product, American made.

Don't like em, don't shoot em. Find something else to whine about.

21-Oct-14
Tajue17,

I thought I was the last person still shooting Rival pro..;-)

Looks like its just you and me buddy.

21-Oct-14
I hate to hear about any company laying off This isn't about the bow it's about those families that used to get a regular paycheck now they have the worry about if and when they will be getting another one. I don't know what the job situation is in their neck of the woods but where I am at it would be tough to find another job. Here in WV with the EPA and economy killing our coal mining business lay offs seem to be an everyday occurence. I wish the best for the emplyees and their families and hope this is a temporary thing

22-Oct-14
U'per,

Wolves!?!? I'm not a fan of wolves, but blaming wolves for this employee layoff might be a bit of a stretch. LOL

Like others have said, unless you are one of the 35 people recently put out of work (hopefully temporarily) this news is very possibly completely insignificant. I don't believe it's a reliable indication of the future of Mathews and it's certainly not a reliable indicator of the strength of the archery industry. To claim that this unfortunate situation is a result of wolves....well that's just a sheepish suggestion.

22-Oct-14
I feel dumber having read all of this speculation.

Tough economic times still. If you have a job, be thankful. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the laid off workers, hopefully it's temporary or they find other work.

22-Oct-14
All American business has seen this in the last 4 years. All of them. Lots of probable reasons to blame for it. The result in the end is a company with less sells. I hate it but, you'd better get used to the face of the New American Economy that is sure to see this trend progress as things gets worse and we get poorer. God Bless

22-Oct-14
Prayers to those and their families affected.

22-Oct-14
Arctic Chill-

I live here- you don't. I do not have specific facts to back this up, but I will tell ya that historically Wisconsin has one of the highest percentages of bowhunters in country, Mathews is located there, and a very large % of hunters here shoot Mathews. What I will tell you with absolute certainty, is that if you stop in any bow shop in north half of our state, or all of UP , is that 9 out of 10 shops will tell you that WOLVES have destroyed our hunting (and thereby the opportunity to sell equipment like bows). I also cited specific examples of shops who sold 100+ annually, that now sell (6). I love where I live, it truly is Gods country, but I now travel across the country to hunt deer vs. hunting on my back yard. My point was that many people seem to point at Mathews in this post as a poorly run company, and IMO, nothing could be further than the truth. They changed our industry for the better, provide outstanding jobs in our state, and some things (like WOLVES)are outside their control. My point is that though hunting is but a hobby for many of us, there is a non emotional/significant economic impact affected hundreds of thousands of people in our country ever day. NOT their hobby, their ability to provide for their families.

22-Oct-14
"Every time I lost a job when I was young it was always a blessing in disguise."

I had the same experience when laid off at age ~40, but I suspect there is a huge difference if the workers are 50+ and in manufacturing.

22-Oct-14
U'per, you are right in that I don't live there. Beyond that we'll just have to agree to disagree. Regardless, I hope the wolf situation gets fixed, I hope Matthews continues to be a successful company and I certainly wish the best for the individuals directly affected.

22-Oct-14
100% OK with that and AGREE-

22-Oct-14
Kowzdeer, good to hear theres at least two of us,,, remember when it was THE BOW all the pros shot it and everyone wanted one now everyone is like what,,,how old is that.

even if mathews sold their best model for 500 MSRP I still wouldn't give up the Rival Pro, ha ha I know I know its old as long as we have confidence in our set-ups its all good right!

I know this is way out there but if any of the machinist folks who got layed off need a job and will relocate theres been a sign outside a machine shop here for experienced machinists starting pay my neighbor says is 28.00 an hour right in the door (full bennys w/3weeks vacation) but also negotiable based on your experience--> Plymouth, Mass in Zone 11 and plenty of whitetail deer maybe 1/2 mile from this company,, even right across the street with permission.

22-Oct-14
"If these workers have any type of machine shop, engineering or assembly experience they will not be unemployed long."

If anyone has these skills and would like to live in IA, pm me. We are always looking. Growing like crazy...owned and run by bowhunters!

22-Oct-14
I've been in their shoes before. Actually, I'm in their shoes again. The place I work at now just announced yesterday they are laying off a lot of salaried employees starting in January. IMO, the worst part about that is by then all the hunting seasons will be done.

22-Oct-14
Deer hunting is getting real good! Leaving PA and on my way to The Midwest! 2 Mathews bows on board! Just Hunt! Peace!

22-Oct-14
I rather doubt they are in much more of a financial crush that any other bow company. I suspect what has happened is, logical hunters have just discovered #1-they don't need a new bow every two years; #2-They never did need a $1,000 bow and #3- This is the time of year when many manufacturers slow down and layoff workers until it picks up.

I don't see this as any big deal, just business.

22-Oct-14
May have been said above but, it is better to have laid off only 35 people and keep the business going and in the U.S. than to let everybody go and ship the work to B.F.E.!

22-Oct-14
Anyone consider that many bowhunters used to buy a new bow every 2-3 years, now with bow prices approaching 1k and sites in the several hundered dollar range, quivers at 100-200 pretty soon that every year or 3 looks like 5-10! Allot of disposable income has gone bye bye and it's harder to justify. Meaning the bow companies may have done tis to themselves. Just a thought

22-Oct-14
In perspective... Laying off 35 people is likely a savings of $1,000,000 a year in bottom line savings.

22-Oct-14
Straight Arrow and bowriter have it pinned. There is no justifiable reason to keep dropping coin on nominal upgrades and aesthetics. Compounds have reached a zenith without another major innovation. Explains the major manufacturing crossover to crossbows, as well. From a business perspective, if a product line seems tapped, the impetus to develop a new line is inevitable.

23-Oct-14
I agree bowriter. I bought the Switchback XT in 06 then bought another new Mathews bow a few years later. I hunted with that new bow all year and missed 4 P&Y bucks a fox and a turkey . I had that bow in 3 different shops trying to get it right but couldn't. I haven't used it in 2 years and never will hunt with it again but my old tried and true XT is killing everything I point it at.

09-Nov-14
The switch back was probably the best Mathews bow they produced.The new offerings are too short axle to axle for my liking I like a forgiving bow not 29 inch long bow for 1000 bucks I don't think so.

21-Nov-14
I have been saying for years that archery companies are going to price themselves into trouble, has that finally happened to Mathews? Don't know personally because I have no idea about Mathews financials.

I do know a few things though, #1-The economy is still in bad shape, by and large tens of millions of working American's feel they have zero job security and $1000+ bows are hard to justify when their 3-4 year old $800-$900 at time of purchase still works perfectly.

And when it comes down to it the overwhelming majority of bow killed deer are taken at or under 20 yards, so what exactly can a bow costing $800-$1000 do that a bow costing half of that can't do every bit as well? and is it possible bow hunters are finally figuring this out?

If it is a indication that Mathews is in financial trouble it is likely a number of causes, but IMHO the most likely cause would be a combination of producing bows allot of people can't afford in a economy that's still bad and people are full of economic uncertainty

Lastly, can anyone reading this honestly say a $1000 bow can some how be justified when there are so many great performing bows for half that? I know we live in a capitalist country and I love capitalism, and under capitalist rules one charges what the market will bear, but $1000 bows used for strictly hunting that in all reality do nothing absolutely nothing that a bow costing half as much can't do just as well.

I personally came to this realization over ten years ago, my last two bows one over $800 when new the other over $600 when new, I bought used in like new condition for a fraction of their original cost off Ebay.

21-Nov-14
Oh, forgot to add, I agree sometimes loosing your job is a blessing. Would have never considered leaving my job and looking for the same work but in a different application so to speak.

But when I was laid off it forces me to find work else were and to look for employment in places I would never had prior. I ended up getting a much better job that was better for not just myself but for my entire family in every possible way.

21-Nov-14
I guess this whole thing goes back to a huge gripe I've had for about the last ten years about the ever sky rocketing cost of not just bows and archery equipment, but most all hunting gear from bows to clothes, to boots and insulated under wear. It's all getting INHO out of control and insanely over priced.

Come on, $80-$100 for one set of UA insulated under wear you have got to be blankinkg kidding me. I just bought seven made in the USA, ploly-pro merino wool scent control LJ's bottoms for less than the cost of three UA bottoms. And I don't know for certain but I'm betting UA is made anywhere but in the USA, so for me that makes the high cost even harder to accept.

21-Nov-14
I bought some China made bottoms at dollar General that is warm as anything I have ever owned. It's like polar fleece buy some kind of synthetic stuff. Cheap.

21-Nov-14
its the lead in those china made bottoms that make them so warm.

21-Nov-14
there are a lot of companies that went out of business or had to downsize in recent years due to the economy.....I don't see why this is so shocking.

21-Nov-14
Not sure if I agree. Bows have been 1000 bucks since the mid-90's. Do I need 1000 bow to kill a deer? No. Do we need a 40,000 pickup to get to work? No. Do you need a 20000 Harley to enjoy riding a motorcycle? No. You can list a 1000 more items just like that.

A utilitarian bow just to kill deer is much cheaper. BUT Ill pay more money because of quality, performance and its my hobby. Im willing to spend more for that. My sight was 200...can i get one cheaper--yep.

Now, is a layoff of 35 people the sign that one of the largest bow mfr's are in trouble? doubt it. While its not good for the folks getting layed off, its healthy for every company to examine their efficiencies and fine tune. Tough decisions keep businesses in business. Go Mathews...looking forward to buying another from you!

Scott

24-Nov-14
People have every right to spend their money any way they see fit. And if you are well off then likely the money is not a serious consideration, I am not well off so money is FOR ME, a serious consideration. I personally take great pride in the fact that early into my hunting life I came to the startling realization that when buying a compound bow for use as a hunting bow there is no real legitimate measurable deference in terms of performance in a compound bow costing $500 VS $1000 that will somehow magically make a person a better more succesfull hunter, and this is fact not opinion, any more than any other piece of hunting equipment, skill makes the hunter, not the equipment. Truth be known in my experience luck played a far more important role day in and out in my bow hunting success than ever did my equipment, different story with firearms though.

If like me a hunter were to shop around for the best possible deals when buying and outfitting a new bow purchase one can easily save hundreds of dollars you could then use to buy a piece of equipment that will when compared to a compound bow purchase, have a large actually measurable impact on your success as a hunter, namely several good trail cams.

There is one truth I have subscribed to for most of my hunting life and that truism is no piece of hunting equipment no matter how costly has the capability to somehow magically turn a poor hunter into a good let alone great hunter, all any piece of equipment can do is make a good hunter SLIGHTLY better and that improvement IMHO, is more psychological than anything else.

If a person wishes to spend $1000 on a bow or $40-50,000 on a truck that's 100% their right, but in terms of function and ability there is no measurable advantage of a $1000 bow VS a $500 bow (except for a LITTLE bit of speed and with LRF with in EVERYONES budget speed is a non issue) let alone if I wait 1-2 years and but that $1000 bow used for less than half, and the only difference in a truck costing $30-35,000 and $45-50,000 is pure cotton candy and nothing else. But then again that is HOW I CHOOSE to spend MY MONEY, if people choose to spend more on things and it makes them happy, that is THEIR RIGHT, i simply am of the old fashion way of thinking if you expect me to pay even a little bit more let alone 2x as much I better get something that will improve/increase the said piece of equipments performance SIGNIFICANTLY and MEASURABLY to justify me giving you allot more of my money. The story of "The Emperors New Clothes" comes to mind.

Am I rite and anyone who disagrees wrong? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I just know hunting is a expensive hobby and the more money left I have the more I can spend time I can AFFORD ACTUALLY HUNTING. Items like gas, food, lodgings, tags and the like I have no choice but to pay what they cost, I can do a little shopping around say with lodgings cost, but there is little room to barter with most of these items.

But the cost of nearly all hunting equipment (especially compound bows) can be had at substantial savings if one is willing to shop around and find bargains. Again it is purely a personal matter of how to spend ones money. I choose to spend mine in such a way as to maximize my ability to hunt by maximizing the amount of funds I have on hand to do so.

Strictly one hunters financial opinion, based on I THINK, sound financial wisdom.

25-Nov-14
I agree with you ART338, to a certain extent. For some, a more expensive bow will make them a better shooter or make shooting more comfortable/fun (better draw cycle fit for them). That may not make them a better "hunter" but it may give them more confidence in their ability to seal-the-deal which is also important.

It takes time and experience to become a better hunter. In the mean time, a quality bow that is fun to shoot can translate into better accuracy and more time spent practicing (also making for additional increase in accuracy and confidence). Not every shot can be under 20 yards, especially out west, so increasing accuracy is always a good thing. Being able to make a good draw when cold or under hunting conditions is also important for success.

Buying a new or high end bow will not make a person a better "hunter", but it may make them a better "shooter" which can lead to better success (not always the same thing). I always work on both.

25-Nov-14
One of the main reasons for me not hopping on the Mathews wagon is honestly I got tired of turning on EVERY hunting show and hearing I killed this buck cuz I own a Mathews. Is it necessary to pay out that much money in advertising? I think if you sponsor half the shows that gets your word out enough. Now Nugent? Whos left? I compared the HeliM to an Elite hunter and no contest. Elite hands down. Im sorry we have to lay you off we just sponsored the 80th out of 81 hunting shows and have no money left.

• Sitka Gear