DL 19-Oct-14
Rick M 20-Oct-14
Bogey 23-Oct-14
Jimbo 23-Oct-14
Mad Trapper 23-Oct-14
18-Oct-14

Big Daddy's embedded Photo
Big Daddy's embedded Photo
Here's a picture of the bear I killed last year with my bow in Pa.

18-Oct-14
Where you get him? Got a story on the hunt? Contrats..

18-Oct-14
Pa archery bear can be tough. Lets hear the story!

19-Oct-14
PA is known to have some of the largest black bears in the country.

Makes my 250# bear look like runt.

Paul

19-Oct-14
I had been whitetail hunting on my hunting land in Potter co. Pa all fall. I knew he was in the area as I missed him with my bow the previous year an being a mature male I knew if he wasn't killed he wouldn't leave his home range. He was aged at 6 years and I had been seeing his sign and on occasion getting his pictures on game cameras set up on my food plots for deer. In early November he got a doe I hit and left over night to trail the next day, I scared him off the kill. In the mid Nov. bear archery season on day 3 I was heading towards some wild apple trees and a standing corn field where his sign was all over the place when I saw him walking up his trail to a horribly thick cut over full of briars he used for bedding. I knew if he stayed on the trail he'd walk past me at around 40 yds. Long story short...he smelled me at 32yds. and was deciding if he should run or what to do and I double lunged him with a 3 blade 100gr. Rage, he ran 50 yds and just laid down and died. I was by myself 1/2 mile from any place I could get my 4x4 GMC to so I busted butt for 6 hours dragging him on one of those plastic game sleds until I got to where I drove my truck to. Then hung a come-a-long in a tree and loaded him in my truck. It was a loooong day till he was skinned out and on ice!

19-Oct-14
Nice job on the bear. Many don't realize that there is no baiting of even scents allowed in Pa. for bear. You have to deliver the carcass in tact to the check station. It makes for some interesting recoveries:)

Several years ago not far from where we hunt a guy killed a 700lb plus bear about 2 miles from an access point on public land. Even though there were old logging roads the game commission would not grant permission to get an atv in or allow the hunter to break the bear down and bring all the parts to the check station. As I recall it took several guys and a tarp all night to get that bear out:)

I think the same still applies to Elk

Congrats on a fine Pa. bear.

19-Oct-14
PA's black bear #s have skyrocketed.......make the archery bear season run concurrent with deer bow season for a couple days.....that'd be nice. Nice bear!

19-Oct-14
Nice ! Rules about getting them out kinda suck though, makes the law a party to letting the meat ruin IMO.

19-Oct-14
Congrats on a dandy of a bear. Any idea what he squares or how many inches skull?

Beautiful coat too - will be awesome mount/rug!

19-Oct-14
Nice bear thanks for sharing!

19-Oct-14
A Pennsylvania archery bear! How cool Is that!!

19-Oct-14
Great bear. Having to take the animal out whole is about one of the dumbest game laws I have ever heard.

19-Oct-14
Grats.

Dumb law. Are you allowed to gut them? If not, they're just asking for meat spoilage.

19-Oct-14
You are Big Daddy for getting that out by yourself!!! Those roll up drags are the bomb. I got my bear three years ago uphill from where I parked. Toboganed that guy to the truck. I carry an old suitcase now with several hundred feet of rope, a come along and block and tackle. I also have 2, 2x6s and a 6 foot piece of plywood so I can make it easier to get anything in my truck.

Well done!! Can you give me your cell number? I want you on my help list next time I get a big critter down.

20-Oct-14
Yep you can gut them. Unfortunately or fortunately we have killed several bears over the years but all were under 250lbs. Find a pole and tie the legs off. Takes 2 guys. If you kill a big boy it can get tricky. Not real easy to save the hide.

all ours were gun kills and that is hard enough. Quite the accomplishment.

23-Oct-14
Congrats big daddy! That's a awesome accomplishment. I'll be near the potter/Tioga line the last 3 days this year. Lots of bear up in that part of the state.

I heard recently that pa is proposing adding another week of archery bear. Pretty sure it would run concurrent with last week of early archery.

23-Oct-14
I've hunted near the Potter/Tioga line for the past ten years and have seen a lot of bears. I read a story about one killed a few years ago in Ulysses (Potter County) that weighed 745 pounds.

23-Oct-14
Congrats. A true trophy!

• Sitka Gear