fubar racin 20-Oct-14
Mule Power 20-Oct-14
Outdoorsdude 21-Oct-14
Outdoorsdude 21-Oct-14
Mule Power 21-Oct-14
Fisher 22-Oct-14
fubar racin 22-Oct-14
19-Oct-14
We are looking to get our first Wall tent for Elk hunting before next year. Looking for advise on what size and what to look for in a wall tent. Our group ranges from 4 to 10 guys and we hunt from late aug until mid november. Looking at the wilderness tent 16x24 with the cook shack so far.

19-Oct-14
4 guys, one tent. 10 guys, 2 tents. You wouldn't want to own a tent big enough to sleep 10 guys. Besides having two tents gives you flexibility for varying numbers of hunters.

For 4 guys just to sleep in a 12 by 14 is decent. If you are camping at the truck and weight isn't an issue a 14X16 would be ideal. Two of those for 10 guys.

When you say "Wilderness Tent" are you talking about the ones from The Wall Tent Shop in Moscow Idaho? His tents are REALLY nice and you can quit comparing prices right there.

19-Oct-14
We have a 12x18 Wall tent and have used in Colorado and new Mexico. Had 4 guys on one hunt and 5 guys on another hunt. 4 was good. Put equipment in another tent.

19-Oct-14
Yes those are the ones we were looking at. We have been considering going with 2 tents but thought we could probably get away with one of the 16x24s with the attached cook shack but that's why I asked. And yes weight is no issue we will be on our own land and can drive straight up to the tent.

20-Oct-14
David Ellis Canvas wall tent with the A-frame tent frame is hard to beat. With the A-frame you don't need perfectly level ground.

20-Oct-14
Fubar.... those Wilderness Tents are way better than you would gather by reading his website. I just lived in one for two weeks. They have double reinforced canvas in the critical spots and triple in some. Canvas is heavy top quality. D-Rings sewn into seat belt strapping on the ends instead of grommets punched through the canvas is priceless. Sod cloth all around the bottom. Free screened window and the most reasonable prices angle kits on the market for the pole frame.

One thing to consider about big tents like you are looking at: Heating. The woodstove is in one corner. I don't like to be too hot so I always pick the opposite corner for my cot. But in a 16 by 24 you'll really have a warm spot or two closer to the stove to keep the entire tent warm. Maybe not too big of a deal since you're not in the mountains. If I was going with a 16X24 I'd put two smaller woodstoves in it in opposite corners instead of one big one. That is a huge tent.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that the smaller the tent the steeper the roof pitch. Big tents aren't necessarily taller so the roof isn't as steep. Not a big deal for rain but it's nice to have a steeper pitch in snow so it will slide off on it's own.

Last... plan on either tarping it or by the rain fly. Yes it helps for rain but the main purpose is to extend the life of the tent. At some point you'll be poking the fire and jamming wood in there so hot embers will be coming out of the stove pipe and can land on the canvas. Tarps end up having lots of pinholes in them from that. I have a mesh floor too which lets water drain through but keeps grass pressed down and dirt/dust from getting stirred up. We can walk around barefoot or in socks in there.

20-Oct-14
fubar, since your from Colorado I highly recommend the DAVIS tent, I have a 10x12 w/internal frame. they really stand behind the product, and are avid hunter then selves.

20-Oct-14

huntmaster's embedded Photo
huntmaster's embedded Photo
I'll second Mule Power on The Tent Shop's tents. Very nice and heavy duty. I bought one sight unseen, but verified everything you can online and it was everything it was supposed to be. It even fit back into the bags when we broke camp down... lol!

I spent two weeks in a 12 x 14 this year with my buddy elk hunting. I bought the floor and the fly to help make it last longer.

The 12 x 14 will work with four guys, but I'd have a smaller tent that you could put gear in as it will be crowded. I would think a 16x24 would be as big as one would want to get. We wouldn't have been able to find a flat spot that big...

20-Oct-14
Some of size is personal preference- i would agree with MP's comments. Too long and its cold in the back corner.

I really like a frame that doesn't have the center poles- it gives you so much more effective room.

20-Oct-14
I've got a Montana Canvas 14x17 and it's good for 4 guys and gear. 3 guys and gear is even better. 5 would be cramped and pretty unpleasant.

I've got a cheap Cabelas wood stove and it heats it up nicely, but never until morning.

20-Oct-14
We plan to take the dozer up and make a flat spot on the property this summer so a flat spot big enough is no problem whatever way we go

20-Oct-14
We plan to take the dozer up and make a flat spot on the property this summer so a flat spot big enough is no problem whatever way we go

20-Oct-14
That'll work. ha ha!!!

For woodstoves I'm not a fan of the ones the Wall Tent Shop has. And any square ones are a no no. Flat sides warp. get one from Cylinder Stoves in Utah. Round ones hold their shape and their stoves are top notch. Once you put it in the tent go over to the dirt pile from the dozer :-) and get a couple shovels full and put about an inch across the bottom. That will disperse the intense heat from the bottom coals evenly and really guarantee the stove will never warp. Mine is older than the dirt I put in it and is still as good as the day I bought it.

As far as one tent instead of two.... it can't hurt to have a separate one for those who SNORE! Something to think about..... now, not when you're laying there listening. lol

21-Oct-14
When you put your flat spot in; bear in mind water running under the tent from sheeting action and roof run-off.

Personally, we camp in a Davis tent, check out their monthly specials.

21-Oct-14
When you put your flat spot in; bear in mind water running under the tent from sheeting action and roof run-off.

Personally, we camp in a Davis tent, check out their monthly specials.

21-Oct-14
If you have some serious rain just dig in a trench around the tent. We use my wall Tent Shop tent in New Brunswick for spring bear. It rains like hell sometimes. Water rolls off, hit the ditch, and runs off to the side.

Ideally you should try to pick a spot on a hump so you don't have to be too concerned.

22-Oct-14
Here is a great tip. Since you will be on your own land, build a simple deck platform for under the tent. Extend it out from the front of the tent for a porch. The cost is low compared to the benefits received. Your buds will think you are a genius.

Best wishes.

22-Oct-14
That is one heck of an idea fisher I like that alot! Thanks for the advise everyone ill present it to the guys this Sunday!

• Sitka Gear