greg simon 20-Oct-14
XMan 20-Oct-14
Sage Buffalo 20-Oct-14
beaneater 20-Oct-14
Don K 20-Oct-14
Medicinemann 20-Oct-14
milnrick 20-Oct-14
20-Oct-14
I'm going to Ohio in a few weeks. Assuming that I score, I'm wondering about ideas for flying the meat home.

I don't want to pay for a cooler both ways. With the 50 lb. limit, I'm trying to come up with an idea of getting the meat home.

Thanks,

TBB

20-Oct-14
If it's already frozen, then you don't need a cooler for a few hour flight. I brought an elk home, mostly frozen, in waxed food boxes. Could freeze it, wrap in news paper and a trash bag and put in a duffle. I brought some home in my back pack which was "carry on" luggage.

Doesn't take much to get to 50 lbs

20-Oct-14
If you have time trim the meat good. Remove anything that is not red! No point hauling it home if you are not going to eat it.

20-Oct-14
yeupp, take all the best cuts and pack in your bags. give away the lower cut meats.

20-Oct-14
Trad if you can freeze before heading home you can put them rapped into a sleeping bag and then an army duffle bag with some dry ice it will stay frozen all the way home.

I use to do that all the time before I started using coolers. Not sure why I stopped doing it that way.

Anyway, I would max out the bag to the airlines limit of 75 or 100 pounds and it will likely get you almost an entire boned out deer home.

Sure it cost you extra but then you have all that meat!

20-Oct-14
I use a collapsible cooler that I bought at REI. Held my antelope boneless meat, skull and some gear. Less than 50# total. Just be careful of liquids. 8 hours travel time and meat was perfect. no ice or dry ice. I will take a hand held vacuum sealer next time.

20-Oct-14
Ship your gear back UPS, bring the deer with on the plane

20-Oct-14
PM sent

20-Oct-14
TBB

Millie and I have brought frozen bear meat packed in a cooler (duct taped closed) with our luggage and carried another 40# as a carry-on using collapsable cooler several times. Once frozen, place all wrapped meat in a trash bag (taped closed) just in case it started to drip (which never happened).

• Sitka Gear