earlyriser 23-Oct-14
Mr.C 24-Oct-14
Pete In Fairbanks 24-Oct-14
DC 24-Oct-14
Bullshooter 25-Oct-14
arctichill 25-Oct-14
sfiremedic 25-Oct-14
21-Oct-14
Bowsite offers some really cool benefits to it's subscribers. The ability to meet new friends, gather advice, read up on gear reviews and read great hunting stories without being inundated with the ads dominating the pages of magazines are some of those that quickly come to mind.

To me though, the true beauty of Bowsite is in my ability to write a report of my hunt as I remember it shortly upon returning from that hunt. I can upload pictures and recount my story with recency on my side.

Then years later, I can use the search function to find and re-read my own story. I can also send the link to others years after the story was written. I used to keep a journal of my hunts, but that didn't have pictures. Also, it wasn't as easy to "share" with others as an e-mail link is.

In essence, of all the great benefits Bowsite offers the greatest one is the ability to "archive" my bowhunting experiences. Before this site, only people who wrote books and/or graced the pages of magazines regularly left detailed legacies of their bowhunting experiences. Most others left journals with no photos or photo albums and deteriorating taxidermy mounts with no detailed stories. Now [at no cost] we can all leave a legacy of some of the most enjoyable times of our lives. Perhaps someday (hopefully a long time away) when I'm dead I'll have grandchildren or great-grandchildren who will look up my stories by my handle.

With that in mind, I want only to post authentic and genuine stories. I also should be aware of posts I make on other's threads as their descendants deserve better than to read about my petty frustrations aimed towards his/her ancestor whom I never even met. I recently posted some pretty negative comments about a fellow Bowsiter. Within 24hrs I deleted my comments. He is a thick skinned fellow so I'm confident he would have read the comments with a grin. Even so, negativity is not something I hope for my grandkids to find when they search my Bowsite handle 60 years from now.

The true beauty of Bowsite is that it allows each of us to leave a trace of our bowhunting legacy. What's your legacy?

Sincerely, Jesse Deubel (in case no one in the future knows my handle) LOL

21-Oct-14
That's a great point Jesse. I couldn't agree more that Bowsite is great in many ways and we are so lucky to have this great resource. My hat's off to Pat the creator and the entire bowsite staff. Thanks all.

21-Oct-14
Pat is basically "the entire Bowsite staff"! I saw him present his idea about starting Bowsite to a major Bow Hunting organization in 1996 and the entire room of 500 guys thought it was ridiculous! You should of heard the comments in the bar that night after his presentation. Thank goodness he ignored their negative reaction!

Bowsite can be used in MANY ways both now and in the future! To me it has opened many doors and I learn something everyday! It's fun knowing others are as crazy about bow hunting as me and I love it when new folks become addicted and join us!

Jesse: You made some very insightful comments on the power of words to either help, hurt, teach, inspire or share experiences. Every time we hit "send" we send a choice of what we project! Can't wait to see what I learn today! I'll check in later this morning while on stand trying to shoot a deer:)

21-Oct-14
I never really thought too much about the Bowsite relative to posterity. Though, I do like returning to some "old adventures." I have also enjoyed revisiting some of the MHH threads of past. Good point artichill.

The Bowsite is, by a ridiculously wide margin, the greatest asset in advancing my bowhunting life I have ever engaged. The ability to pick the brain of more seasoned, experienced people about every little nuance of my avocation is immeasurable in time and money saved. Not to mention the friendship and hunting opportunities I would not have had otherwise.

As for legacy, the Bowsite is Pat's. And a fine one it is.

21-Oct-14
dang, thought this thread was gonna be about me ;-)

21-Oct-14
I'll use this opportunity to request the manufacture and distribution of a window decal for Bowsiters.

One of the great "beauty's" of Bowsite is meeting members out in the field. Whether it be along the interstates as we gas up on our trips , or at trailheads , or possibly in the parking lot of our favorite country restaurants.

A decal would cement a sense of community that many feel exists here on Bowsite. Thanks Pat for a great site.

21-Oct-14
I bet those 500 guys wished they had listened to Pat. I don't know of a better bowhunting/bowhunting info site. I really like the way BS is operated and hope it never changes too much.

21-Oct-14
BS is the best one...by far.

21-Oct-14
I'm in for the window decal.

21-Oct-14
I pride myself in being a self taught bowhunter and bow mechanic of sorts. However, I have to give credit to Bowsite for a great deal of what I have learned.

21-Oct-14
Great post Jesse, I agree with your sentiments and have been trying to do the same on not gonging folks, it does take patience with a few screwballs though :) Good hunting to you.

23-Oct-14
That's some good insight, jesse. The stories of people's hunts are what I enjoy about bowsite the most. Now If I Could just figure out how to use the search function to find my old stories.

23-Oct-14
I spend a lot of time online... probably too much... both work-related and for the things I'm interested in outside of work. If I had a device that counted every site I visited, there's no question the Bowsite would be in the top three. I'm most active in my state forum, and also read a lot of the posts and threads here in the big game forums. I even visit the community forum every now and then when I'm looking for expert opinions on national and world affairs. ;o)

We're all fortunate that Pat didn't listen to those naysayers when he floated his idea at that event in 1996. The Bowsite is a true gem for those of us who enjoy our sport of bowhunting.

23-Oct-14
And I thought it was to make us all look like idiots in the BCs.

23-Oct-14
Love Bowsite window decal with Bowsite logo would be nice too.

23-Oct-14
Best hunting site on the web, I know, I've check them all.

I'm in for a Bowsite decal, sticker, t-shirt, hat…..whatever!!!

23-Oct-14
As we all know we need more and younger hunters. if you are new to hunting whitetails where do you start? Pat how about a seri4s on locating deer basically scouting wiyhout usins a game camera then findind travel lanes and placing a treestand and why that spot was chosen!

23-Oct-14
I've been here a long, long time.

It's honestly Facebook for Hunters.

You have those who are tech savvy and load their pics, videos and other cool things.

You have your lurkers.

You have your comedians.

You have your..well..you now.

You have your technophobes WHO ONLY TYPE LIKE THIS.

In the end, they all add value to the community and as much as we may complain we absolutely love it.

23-Oct-14
"WHO ONLY TYPE LIKE THIS"......I thought they were just the disgruntled ones. I agree Jesse, good luck on your future hunts.

24-Oct-14
Im the new guy.1st and foremost thanks to the people that do the site work ,ive hunted all my life but just 5 years ago picked up my first bow, "i love it" any tips for a new archer would be great! aim small miss small is always something i remember

Thanks MrC

24-Oct-14
Here are a couple of examples of the true beauty of Bowsite for me...

1. I read some posts and think: "Why didn't I think of that? That guy is really smart!" I've been here for several years, but it doesn't take long to see who the wise ones are. Conversely, it soon becomes clear who is talking through their ass!

A lot more posts leave me thinking: "Boy, compared to that guy, I'm a genius!"

It's a great forum. One takes most of it with a grain of salt, while extracting the gems and pearls of wisdom!

2. I have met some great hunters on here. And better yet, I've gotten to hunt with some them, both here in Alaska and down in America.

Pete

24-Oct-14

DC's embedded Photo
DC's embedded Photo
I got one. I could use a new one, cause mine is getting old.

25-Oct-14
OP, please read the new thread "My Favorites -Older Thread Errors"

If you want to keep those posts for posterity, I would strongly advise opening them now, and copy and paste the contents into a Word file or individual Word files, and save to your computer. They may not be accessible when you want to read them.

As that post says, I have also found that looking for old threads does not always work. Do this test- click on your Favorite Threads, and pick out an old one. You should be able to find some that can't be opened. Not bashing on my favorite website here, just trying to help.

25-Oct-14
Thanks for the advice Bullshooter! I appreciate you pointing this out.

25-Oct-14
Bowsite is just a great place to share the passion of bowhunting. My wife says I'm addicted to this site. Maybe she's right because i do sneak off sometimes to log in for a sec. I'm sure i'm the only one who does that. ;)

Anyway, Bowsite definitely provides a needed fix in times where I can't be out in the woods.

Thanks Bowsite!!!

• Sitka Gear