BowSniper 23-Oct-14
willy24 23-Oct-14
bigdog21 23-Oct-14
HuntHard 23-Oct-14
Bullshooter 23-Oct-14
bb 23-Oct-14
drycreek 23-Oct-14
21-Oct-14
Getting back into archery so I can take the neighbot kid elk hunting (it is on my bucket list) and the new bow is on the way. I was looking at rests and have concluded that there are way too many options. My initial thought was to drop the coin on a limb-driven rest like a Trophy Taker Smackdown (who comes up with these names?). Then I thought about a captive arrow rest like the Quick Tune 360 or a Whisker Biscuit. Now I am thinking about a fall-away rest, but fear that tuning may be a problem.

Any thoughts, suggestions or insight on how to make this decision? What do you like/dislike about your current set-up?

21-Oct-14
QAD ultra rest you won't be dissapointed.

21-Oct-14
You're going to get 1,000 different answers here.

High end rests cost $$.

I personally use Vapor Trail Limbdriver Pro V.

But put the NAP Apache on my backup bow and it performs wonderfully too, for far less $.

Carl

21-Oct-14
+1 for QAD. Extremely easy to tune and it will exceed all of your expectations.

21-Oct-14
Get the WB and you won't be sorry.

21-Oct-14
Ive been using the same trophy taker rest for 10 yrs on 3 bows. Never had an issue. Its fool proof, if it comes up its working. Ive seen the lock up drop away fail to drop while my buddy was shooting and another close friend threw his in the garbage for the same reason after it failed to drop 2 seperate times on different deer. They both switched to trophy takers.

If your tree stand hunting i can see the value of a lock up drop away, but for normal elk hunting I dont see the advatage. I like to KNOW my rest is working. JMO

can say if a quad, or similiar type lock up drop away is easier to to tune than a trophy taker. I can usually paper tune a bow with 3 or 4 shots with a trophy taker. Id guess they are very similiar in tuneability.

21-Oct-14
I was using the QAD and never did find it very easy to tune. Switched back to the ripcord code red. Basic drop away with no frills, but it has already saved me hours of tuning. Like smarba said lots of different opinions.

21-Oct-14
QAD no way i wouldnt use one for fee ripcord way better working rest .. but the best out there is the Hamskea versa rest built like a tank !!!

21-Oct-14
I use NAP carbon apache love this rest zero problems but trophy taker also has great rest to I just don't like the lock up rest like a qad had one not fall immediately made the switch

21-Oct-14
I have also shot the same Trophy Taker for several years on two different bows (the Pronghorn) and this year went to a Trophy Taker Smack Down Pro on my new 360 and love it. But many good rests out there pick the one you like the best and works best for you.

21-Oct-14
Limb driver. I use the micro elite on my rig.

21-Oct-14
How much do you want to spend on your rest?

21-Oct-14
QAD

21-Oct-14
If you put a Whisker biscuit on it you can basically forget ever having problems with the rest. If you must have a drop away you can't beat a Limbdriver. Mike

21-Oct-14
QAD.

21-Oct-14
Considering your circumstances I'd start off with a Whisker Biscuit. They are cheap and you can always upgrade to a drop away down the road if you stay with bow hunting.

21-Oct-14
Im shooting a QAD ultrarest for the last year and love it. Switched from a whisker basket which was also ok for far less $$$.

21-Oct-14
Been shooting a trophy taker rest since 99. It is simple and works great. I shoot a Pronghorn also. HUNT

21-Oct-14
I would suggest a Vital Gear Kazaway rest, IMO its one of the best made.

If you don't want a drop away rest, then I would definitely recommend the whisker biscuit, pretty foolproof if you are using vanes.

Good luck

22-Oct-14
If you're a casual shooter, the WB rest may be the way to go.

If you shoot a bunch, you might wear out a WB disc each year. Then a drop away would be the way to go.

I believe the limb driven rests are far superior to cable driven rests in that category. Not only do they function better, but anyone with a fifth grade I.Q. can set one up without a press.

My personal favorite is the original Limbdriver Pro. (not the pro V)

22-Oct-14
As with most products we use while bow hunting there are 4 or 5 at the top of the market that all work well!

Ripcord makes a fine rest and has been a sponsor for years! Good luck and Welcome back! C

22-Oct-14
I agree with x-man 100%.

I am a huge Limbdriver proponent. Like him I think that the Pro is the best rest overall as it has the spring steel launcher but I have used the Pro V for a few years on my hunting bow and I really like it too. You can't go wrong with either rest and I have had great success with both.

I have always said that if I ran a pro shop I would only sell Limbdrivers for fall aways simply because they are the easiest rests to setup by far since you do not time the activation cord.

22-Oct-14
Vapor Trail Limbdriver Pro V...for me. I have a original Limbdriver Pro as a backup.

22-Oct-14
I've been shooting trophy taker rests for a while and like them a lot.

22-Oct-14
If you want best of the best. I would suggest the Hamskea versa rest. Pricey but you get what you pay for. I use it in the limb driven mode

22-Oct-14
for hunting I shoot the nap quick tune 360, I like my arrow to stay where it is, and this one gives good fletch clearance. I know that many drop-away are capture as well, but I don't like any more moving parts than is necessary.

22-Oct-14
Whisker biscuit all the way. Simple, dependable.

22-Oct-14
Limb driver

23-Oct-14
My last 10 rests have been limb drivers both types, smackdowns and QAD hdx's, all good, I prefer the QAD's.

23-Oct-14
I use the QAD Hunter with the longer arm.

23-Oct-14
QAD

23-Oct-14
Whisker biscuit is foolproof accurate and dependable. I always laugh at the guys who won't shoot a mech head cause it has moving parts yet they launch each arrow off a moving rest.

As far as wearing out the biscuit I shoot quite a bit and going on 10 years on my biscuit. It looks like hell but it still shoots 4" groups at 50-60 yards and would prob do better if I was better!!

Either way good luck and enjoy

23-Oct-14
I do like my Trophy Ridge revolution. It's full capture and rotates to release, which I think makes less sound than anything dropping. Worth considering...

23-Oct-14
I love my vital gear kazaway had it for four years and have never had a problem

23-Oct-14
Whisker biscuit best rest for hunting broad heads and field points hit dead on out to 50 and nothing to go wrong.

23-Oct-14
Qad all day....its awesome and I found no issues tuning mine.

23-Oct-14
I replaced my Trophy Taker with a Limb Driver. Both work great.

23-Oct-14
I've been using the Hamskea Versa rest for a couple of years now and I'm really liking it.

23-Oct-14
TT Smackdown Pro for me ! On both bows, and where do they come up with these names ?

• Sitka Gear