Bigred 22-Oct-14
Bigred 23-Oct-14
oldgoat 23-Oct-14
BOWNBIRDHNTR 23-Oct-14
LINK 23-Oct-14
yukon roz 23-Oct-14
BOWNBIRDHNTR 23-Oct-14
22-Oct-14
don't really predator hunt but plan on doing some soon want to mount one of each species I kill. iv watched videos on skinning and all that but they seem stiff after they are dried out. do you wash it to soften things up after its sat for a few days?

23-Oct-14
any tips for diy tanning? I wont be cutting them so yes itll be a skinned case.

23-Oct-14
I suggest buying a book, your probably biting off more than you realize, most taxidermist's don't even tan hides I don't think, they send them off to a tannery. Lot of chemicals involved I think and disposing of them etc.. Makes it more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't even consider it personally living in town.

23-Oct-14

BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
As oldgoat mentioned, most taxidermists don't even do their own "soft" tanning. I skin, flesh and salt my own hides then take them to my taxidermist. He sends some hides in to a tannery and we share the shipping. Usually a soft tan will cost around $30 to $50 for hides up to the size of a coyote.

If you have a taxidermist in your area that person can be a wealth of information for what you are wanting. Mine has become a good friend. I try to give him a little extra when he mounts something for me and he has always been willing to give a hand or some advice on my own furs.

23-Oct-14
That's nice bownbirdhunter. I don't know who you paid to skin the skunk but it wasn't enough. I hear stories of guys trapping and skinning skunks many years ago for 25 cents a fur. I would have to be really hungry.

23-Oct-14
Hint when you skin a skunk don't pull the skin to hard even dead 8 hrs the stinky stuff still piss out all over my winter coat boy was mom mad !!

23-Oct-14
Thanks Link, I actually just put that table display together this past weekend.

And no, I did not pay myself near enough, lol. Fortunately I don't have a very sensitive stomach when it comes to bad smells. I did wear rubber gloves and an old coat that I could have thrown away had I managed to "spray" myself. Just be careful and it's no real big deal.

• Sitka Gear