SILVERADO 23-Oct-14
scentman 23-Oct-14
greg simon 23-Oct-14
Rayzor 24-Oct-14
CarbonFiber1 27-Oct-14
bowriter 27-Oct-14
Callingalldeer 27-Oct-14
23-Oct-14
My question is: When a buck starts to tend a doe and when she is bred, what is the time frame of this. Are there any articles or data that is out there to show this study? I would think the buck is tending because she is ready or close to be ready for breading. What is the time frame? Thanks all and have a great season!!!

23-Oct-14
I've seen the bigger guy's courting the doe for 3-4 days... a good source would be Charles Alsheimer.

23-Oct-14
A doe is in heat for a 24 hour period, I would think it is typical for a buck to court both sides of this window so I would say it's a 72 hour window

23-Oct-14
According to Charles in his book "Strategies for Whitetails", he states that there is a 24 hr period before and after the 24 hr estrous period... 72 hour pair bonding he calls it. Hope this helps.

23-Oct-14
A doe will be in "standing heat" for about 24 hours. During this time a buck will tend her multiple times. This is the "lockdown" phase of the rut where a buck stays with one doe usually away from other deer.

24-Oct-14
Not sure if this is what you are asking?? Most mid section of US it is mid November for the majority. Some places up North it is a little earlier as will be some of the young does where I'm at. Deep south can run into January and even early Feb.. Does will come back in heat in about 28 days if not bred. Hence 2nd, 3rd rut references.

Where I hunt in VA we see a little action last week of Oct for a day or two. I typically see the young does being dogged. Then the most concentrated activity seems 3rd week of Nov.

27-Oct-14
Thanks everyone for the info, 24 hrs and 28 days between until bred! Good luck this season!!!

27-Oct-14
28-hours is abut max. But what do I know?

27-Oct-14
The first thing I do when i see a doe is look at her rear nocks. She's in heat when their dark brown or black.After she breeds or past estrus,she will lick them white.A 28 day cycle. Once you see this watch for the buck following. most times around 15 minutes later.

• Sitka Gear