nijimasu 23-Oct-14
exsanguinator 23-Oct-14
Buffalo1 23-Oct-14
cnelk 23-Oct-14
TurkeyBowMaster 23-Oct-14
Florida Mike 24-Oct-14
23-Oct-14
hi-

I didn't want to jack the VPA sharpening thread, but wondering if anyone can put up some slicktrick sharpening tips or pics?

I sharpen mine with a Lansky system, and go down to an ultra-fine stone. They get sharp, but not shaving sharp. I'd like to know where I'm screwing up. I enjoy sharpening them rather than buying new blades because A) I'm cheap, and B)it's fun. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

23-Oct-14
I use a Lansky and get them scary, shaving sharp. The trick is to get them in the jig the exact same way every time. I use a nickel for this. I slide a nickel in the vent of the blade and push the nickel all the way down to the jig. This aligns the edge perfectly square with the jig and is repeatable next time I need to sharpen the blade. Sorry, I don't have a photo of this.

23-Oct-14
I have some razortricks (along with my Snuffers) and I sharpen them with my KME. (Similar to Lansky)

I would say you are just missing the final steps. After I am done with finest KME stone, I go to my ceramic crotch stick.

Now that I have a leather stropping block, that will be my final step.

I can get them shaving sharp off of ceramic stick, but I have to apply a little pressure. I want insanely sharp.

BTW- Your are not cheap. I prefer the term "fiscally prudent!"

23-Oct-14
I recently experimented with sharpening blades that were used for target practice.

I have the KME knife (not broadhead) sharpener. Could not use the stones with that since the stones would rub on the holder.

I ended up running the blades a few times though a Redi-Edge sharpener. Then, I took the wood handle off of the KME, put the blade in the holder and then used that setup to strop the blades on leather with some Herbs. That got them back to factory sharpness.

23-Oct-14
I go to the store and buy new blades and use old ones in practice tips.

Noticed that Walmart is now handling ST's !!

23-Oct-14
I use my Gatco sharpener at 19 degrees.

23-Oct-14
KME knife sharpener, then Herbs on a leather strop

23-Oct-14
Thanks for the replies, everyone. very helpful. I'm hoping if I figure out the stropping thing it will do the trick.

Bloodtrail, I agree, the blades out of the package are sharp- I'm talking about after its gone through a deer (or more often, into a tree that was next to a deer). I won't shoot a head at an animal that has been been shot and not re-sharpenned or re-bladed.

photo imagejpg6.jpg

Buffalo 1, I've been doing that for years, and have a stack of decent blades - too many. I want to re-use them for hunting. plus, as I said, I'm cheap, and sharpening is fun. one more thing to tinker with myself- which is where I get a lot of enjoyment out of bowhunting.

23-Oct-14
I use a KME as well and finish with the ceramic stone I get a nice shine and they are shaving sharp. Does stropping make them even sharper? Going have to have to read up on stropping. Have never done it.

23-Oct-14
nijimasu,

I understand what you are saying about mass number of blades and just enjoy resharpening blades.

I have the same affection for finding loss golf balls and cleaning them to either put them back into play or sell them. Buying new balls is easier and probably cheaper, but restoring give me some cheap entertainment. A restored Titleist Pro V1x is a sweet thing !!!

23-Oct-14
I don't like buying new balls. Blades yes

23-Oct-14
Follow the standard principles of sharpening and it will get sharp. No difference in these heads than anything else

24-Oct-14
The main problem most people have when sharpening is applying to much pressure during the stroke. As you sharpen apply less and less downward pressure so it doesn't "roll" the edge over. It really takes a soft touch to achieve the sharpest edge possible. Mike

• Sitka Gear