Bowboy 24-Oct-14
BULELK1 26-Oct-14
Aaron Johnson 26-Oct-14
Heat 26-Oct-14
CurveBow 06-Nov-14
23-Oct-14

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I had to share. Pretty proud of this. First marathon. Only my second race ever actually.

Started running in 2009 to prepare for my first elk trip. Usually fall off the wagon during late fall and winter

Had the goal since 2009 to run a marathon, and finally, at 32 years old, got it done. Really hit it hard this year, and lost a little over 45 lbs.

I already want to run another. . . . Need to beat that time. Felt really good until about mile 20, then it started to go down from there :)

Had to walk a little to finish, my legs were just cramping like crazy

Bake

23-Oct-14
Nice.

Job!

23-Oct-14
You are a stud! Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment.

23-Oct-14
Congrats and thanks for sharing & motivating!

Everybody starts to hurt at mile 20, which is why that's considered halfway.

One key in training is that you don't need to build up to the actual DISTANCE (i.e. running 26 miles) but you do need to build up to darn close to the total time (i.e. a few training runs ~4-hours long, in your case).

You can do speed work, etc. to work on pacing, and do long runs of about the same total time duration as your goal time.

Then when rested/tapered for race day the intent is to run faster pace than during long training runs and belt out a good race time.

Very simplified, but you don't ever need to run 26 miles during training.

Very often the body begins to break down when you hit the longest time duration you had trained (i.e. if longest run was 3-hours, then a the 3-hour mark in the marathon the legs start to give out).

Good luck next time!

Carl

23-Oct-14
Smarba. . . guess I never really thought about the time thing. Makes sense.

The longest run I did was 20, and I didn't time it. I would imagine it didn't take as long as the marathon time.

I modified a Hal Higdon training plan, for beginners, that didn't include any speed work.

I did some speed work in the weeks before my AZ muley hunt, just to prep for an altitude higher than my home altitude of 800 feet :) I did Nvagvup's light pole to light pole intervals over 4 mile distances.

I stopped timing my runs. I started running again in January, and ran as hard as I could each run. Red-lined myself too much, and started to break down and have some nagging injuries.

So I stopped timing myself, and really slowed my paces down, especially until the nagging aches and pains stopped. Then I started to feel better and run better

But from May to race, I didn't time a single run.

I started the race intending to run with the 4:20 pacers, but after the initial scrum, they were behind me and out of sight, so I ran with the 4:10 pacers for a couple miles, until we topped a big hill. At the top of the hill, about the 3 mile mark, I was fully loose, breathing in good rhythm, so I took off and ran my own race.

I caught up with the 4 hour pacers at about the 13 mile mark, and was going to pass, but fell in behind and ran with them until the 20 mile mark, then I started to fall behind.

I really enjoyed it. Thought I ran really well and felt really good from about mile 3 to 18 :)

Bake

23-Oct-14
Outstanding Bake! Congratulations!

I'd like to see a group of us qualify for Boston and go in 2016.

23-Oct-14
I should add, my goal for the next is to cut out the walking that I had to do in the last couple miles, and to feel as good at mile 26, and be running as loosely, as I was at mile 13 :)

Bake

23-Oct-14
That's a great time for a first marathon. You can compare your time to some celebrities: http://running.about.com/od/famousrunners/tp/celebritymarathonrunners.htm

You blew away Al Gores time but that ol GW Bush put down a darn good time. I cannot imagine running that distance. They would be hauling me off on a stretcher.

23-Oct-14
Congratulations Bake! I have no desire to run marathon distances, but good for you nonetheless.

23-Oct-14
Congrats! I am 4 weeks into training for my first race ever (1/2), this is good motivation!

A good friend of mine runs multiple marathons a year and told me he will do a 13 mile training run and a 20 miler, and most important for him is training with the calories he will use on race day. Interesting stuff how the 20 mile mark seems to be the "wall" that a lot of runners hit, and the calories you consume on your run is what helps that. He also told me his two PR's he walked a minute every mile, right from the start and ate something every time he walked.

I look forward to sticking with it and hope I get results like yours! Congrats again!

23-Oct-14
Congrats Bake! My story is very similar to yours. Ran my first one about the same time and really enjoyed it. I immediately wanted to run another because I thought I could do better. I ended up cutting my time by about 30 minutes. I'm sure you could do the same.

23-Oct-14
Congratulations Bake! Nicely done.

23-Oct-14
Very impressive Bake. I have the utmost respect for guys that can pull that off. Takes more mental toughness than most can fathom. I've never done one but ran 10Ks, and in saying that I tip my hat to you sir:)

23-Oct-14
Congratulations, you are in an elite class of only 3% of US residents have ever completed a marathon......and a good time to boot!

Focus on leg and core strength for your next race and I predict you to be very happy with the results!

What's next for you?

Mark

24-Oct-14
Way to go, Bake!

That's a great time and a real acomplishment. Congrats! When the next race? :)

24-Oct-14
Way to go !!!

24-Oct-14
Congrats !!!!!

24-Oct-14
Yea Congrats for sure!

24-Oct-14
Nice work Bake!

24-Oct-14
"Only my second race ever actually."

You don't do things half-arsed, do you? What is next, the Sri Chimnoy 3100 mile race?

Which race was it and what did you think of it? I always liked that, in a race with that many people, you see the same bunch for most of the run (until the last 4-6 miles when you just don't care any more).

Keep up the good work - the benefits go much further than just the race and feeling good on the hunt.

24-Oct-14
Thanks everyone.

This was the Kansas City, Waddell and Reed marathon. I liked the overall course. It was hilly at the beginning, which wasn't bad, my training runs are hilly. But there was a hill at about the 22 mile mark that was killer. Not a bad hill really, but at that mark, it was bad :)

I've lived within 2 hours of KC all my life, and actually lived there for 3 years, and saw some stuff I didn't know existed :)

The course tried to hit all the big KC landmarks, Countryclub Plaza, Westport, Power and Light District, Hospital Hill, Union Station, etc.

I don't know how marathons usually are, but there seemed to be a lot of spectators throughout the course, which was neat. LOTS of Royals supporters!

I wore a KC Royals t-shirt, GO ROYALS!!!!

It was a neat experience. I'd definitely like to do another. I've looked around for others to do, but it will probably be next spring before I can do another one. And I'd like to do the KC race again next fall.

Lots of spectators holding signs. My 4 favorite signs seen during race:

"If Brittany Spears can get through 2007, you can get through this."

"Worse. Parade. Ever."

"Run like Billy Butler stealing Second."

"This is the only time I want you to finish faster." (held by a good lookin' gal)

Official results email made me happy, as I did finish 547 out of 1390 finishers. So I was happy to be in top half :)

Bake

24-Oct-14
Good Job Bake.

St Louis puts on a good one. OKC and Tulsa both have decent ones, but Tulsa is right smack during prime time rut activity. Little Rock is fun and is one of the first ones in the spring in this region and they give out HUGE medals :)

I will say I have only done the 1/2's in all but okc, 1/2 one year and a full in 2012.

Have only run one full. but similar to yours as far as experience. I was great until mile 17, went out about 10 to 15 seconds per mile faster than I expected (goal was to maintain an 8 minute pace)and felt phenomenal. and it cost me some as my last 9 miles were between 9 and 930 per mile. Still considered it a great race as I beat all my goals but one.

It is a great accomplishment and you should be proud. VERY few people can say they have done it and even fewer around the 4 hour mark.

24-Oct-14
I'm still laughing about the four best signs....

24-Oct-14
You did have a good race. Most of the time, folks are swearing them off,,, at least for a week or two!

How was your first few trips down the stairs (next day)????

I do like those race signs. I am surprised you remembered them. Even though it is a long run, it is amazing how much stuff you don't remember. (Speaking from my own experiences)

The parallels between bowhunting and running/training are not lost on me.

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Savor your accomplishment. You EARNED it.

24-Oct-14
Congrats!!! Endurance running and bow hunting are my head medicine. Hours on the road or hours on the hunt. Good for mind, body and soul!! If you ever get a chance I would strongly recommend reading Running is Being by Dr. George Sheehan.

24-Oct-14
First and last sign are really good.

24-Oct-14
I never can remember the signs! There are usually some good ones though. Come on up for the Lincoln, NE marathon in May. It's a pretty good one with lots of crowd support.

24-Oct-14
That's a great time, you should be proud.

24-Oct-14
Congrats on a great run time.

26-Oct-14
Good on you Blaine!

I knew you could do it.

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

26-Oct-14
Congrats Blane!

26-Oct-14
Right on Bake! Great Job!

06-Nov-14
COngratulations, great job! I have run one marathon in my life, in 2001, and finished in 3:52 at age 47. I have run only one because I don't want to commit my life to another training schedule!

FYI - you can go to Runnners World website and download a training calendar for any type of race you want.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the running lifestyle!

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear