Zim1 09-Dec-14
Gene 11-Dec-14
Gene 11-Dec-14
Gene 11-Dec-14
Zim1 11-Dec-14
Gene 12-Dec-14
Zim1 12-Dec-14
23-Oct-14
Are there any Bowsite members out there hunting in NH this year? I just came back from a bird hunt in Zones A1 and A2 and saw moose sign where we hunted and 3 moose taken. I am still waiting to some day draw a tag!

23-Oct-14
Just got back from my buds moose hunt in d1. He took awesome 810lb 44" bull....rifle tho.

24-Oct-14
no NR can ever plan on drawing any eastern US moose tag. you can dream of drawing.

if you want to plan on hunting book canada, newfoundland a great moosey place to start for a very affordable hunt.

24-Oct-14
NH is harder to draw for non residents but it isn't impossible ,they do give a percentage to NR each year though total permits have dwindled in recent years due to a decline in population numbers

24-Oct-14
I hear what you guys are saying about drawing a tag as a non resident. My number of points keeps going up and the number of tags given out keeps going down! I was drawn as an alternate a few years ago but my number was too high to get a tag. I have 2 friends (NH non residents) that have drawn tags in the past, so it does happen.

28-Nov-14

Zim1's Link
I totally agree, but I was one of the few NR able to beat the 1% odds in 2012 and draw a zone C2 tag. Was successful in taking a large bull on my own. Link is to the 2012 NH page. I'm the Illinois guy.

I am a big fan of New Hampshire F&G. In all my years applying, they never cheapened my point value by playing BS political games like most states do. Unfortunately, due to moose population and infinitesimal odds, I chose not to reapply thereafter. It's just a really poor return on investment. Much better to do Canada moose somewhere.

29-Nov-14
nice job zim! Bowkill?

30-Nov-14
No but I would not advise anyone to attempt to use archery tackle if they are lucky enough to draw a NH tag. Numbers are so low these days you are not likely to get even one stalk at a mature bull. I believe only 15% of tag holders were able to take a mature bull even with rifle. It's only a 9 day hunt. I drove out to scout a week, flew out opening weekend for neice's wedding, then returned to hunt 6 of the remaining 7 days.

30-Nov-14

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
Turned out to be a wise choice. 95% of my hunting is with bow, but glad I left it home for this hunt. Draw odds were only 1% even with max nonresident points. This was the only mature bull I saw in 13 days DIY scouting/hunting. On my drive home I felt like I'd robbed a bank.

03-Dec-14
Great bull Zim - Congrats! I was up in zones A1 and A2 doing some grouse hunting back in late October and found some good moose sign in a few areas. I will continue to put in for a NH tag as long as I am able to hunt! I have been hunting NH almost every year since 1971 for deer and birds and love hunting those big woods. Although I have slipped up real close to moose a number of times over the years, I would agree with you and leave my bow at home and do the moose hunt with a rifle.

09-Dec-14
Hey Gene, Do those grouse taste any good? I saw a lot of them on the roads during my hunt. Easy pickens as they rarely moved far. I wished I had brought my shotgun. If I ever draw Maine I'd like to bag some of those. But someone told me that variety didn't taste so great.

09-Dec-14
Zim they're Ruffed Grouse and excellent eating. They taste as good as quail to me. New-Englanders call them "Pat-ridge".

09-Dec-14
Grouse Nuggets....they are great

09-Dec-14
OK I figured I just got some picky eater tell me that because why else would there be so many folks out hunting them? Lots of them there. I typically drove past ~10 per day while driving between moose spots.

11-Dec-14
Zim - They are not only fun to hunt but they are great to eat also!

11-Dec-14

11-Dec-14

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo

11-Dec-14
I think of all the things I did on my hunt the one regret I had was not packing my shotgun. I was there a week scouting too. Had plenty of time for grouse, and no need for a dog.

12-Dec-14
Zim We go to hunt grouse and woodcock with our dogs (French Brittanies). We see plenty of those "road chickens" but we like to get out into the woods and work the dogs. I'm not saying that we would pass up a bird on a logging road, but to us it is all about the dogs. Sometimes grouse hold for a point and sometimes not. They take off like a rocket and it is usually some fast shooting. I hunted deer in New Brunswick in 2005 and was glad I took my shotgun. On day 4 of a 5 day hunt I killed a decent buck and spent day 5 walking logging roads and skidder trails looking for grouse and did manage to kill one.

12-Dec-14
Oh yes I agree I love to watch dogs work too, it's just for someone like me with a long drive it's a nice and doable bonus to a moose hunt even without a dog.

• Sitka Gear