t-roy 27-Oct-14
dagga boy 27-Oct-14
SoDakSooner 27-Oct-14
writer 27-Oct-14
Thornton 27-Oct-14
23-Oct-14

dagga boy's embedded Photo
dagga boy's embedded Photo
This is from Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourisms website.

MOUNTAIN LION CONFIRMED IN LABETTE COUNTY

Oct. 23, 2014

Mountain lion photographed on trail cam in southeast Kansas

PRATT – A deer hunter from Labette County got a surprise recently when he checked his trail camera he had set up for deer. He found a single image of a mountain lion walking away, down the trail, the characteristic long tail prominently displayed. Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) staff visited the site last week and verified the photo’s authenticity. This is the tenth mountain lion verified by KDWPT since 2007, but the first in almost two years.

The first confirmed mountain lion in 2007 was killed by an individual in Barber County. Since then, most of the sightings have been confirmed with photographs taken by remote, motion-triggered cameras commonly used by deer hunters to keep track of deer movement near their stands.

In each instance, KDWPT staff traveled to the sites where photos were taken to validate the photographs. Staff investigates sightings whenever evidence, such as tracks, a cached kill or a photograph exists. Biologists assume most sightings are of transient young males, coming from established populations in nearby states.

“It’s not uncommon for young males to travel great distances looking for home ranges,” said Matt Peek, KDWPT furbearer biologist. “So far, these animals appear to be passing through, rather than staying and establishing home ranges in Kansas.”

24-Oct-14
Makes sense

24-Oct-14
I was just wondering what's the law on shooting a cat if I see one while out deer hunting? I can't find anything in the regs about it.

24-Oct-14
Illegal as hell. You can not even shoot a bobccat without a fur harvesters permit.

24-Oct-14
My hunting partner and I saw a mountain lion while deer hunting on Fort Riley back in 2001. I've hunted all over the west, but to this day...that incident remains my only live mountain lion sighting.

We reported the sighting, but officials on the base looked at us like we were reporting an encounter with aliens or bigfoot. Based on that reaction, we did not bother contacting KDWPT.

24-Oct-14
In Oklahoma you must be able to communicate that the animal was threatening you or your livestock. If I had cows close I would shoot one. I will likely never see one much less on my property. My mother saw one run accross her foodplot when she went in to check camera in 2007. We thought she was full of it but I found tracks and two weeks later it was on a trail camera two miles away. It was a large very healthy looking male.

24-Oct-14
I liked the "good old days" when KDWPT acknowledged they were in Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado and Oklahoma, but went on to state that we had none. The inference was that the cats were far better at respecting state lines than the residents of said states were during deer season.

24-Oct-14
Legal in Oklahoma like Link says.

There have been a couple of cat sightings on my lease just south of Tulsa. Rancher has directed us to shoot them on sight. He's had a couple of calves killed by cats in the past. The kills were not coyote or dogs. They were cached and there were cat tracks all around. But, that was about 4 yrs. ago. No sightings or signs of them since.

24-Oct-14
They have been releasing them in Missouri for years. A guy shot a radio collared lion and put it in his freezer. A few day later the DOC came over to get their radio collar back. Another time a lady hit one in Raytown, MO. She reported it because she wanted to take it home and it too had a collar issued by DOC on it - they did not let her keep it and she was not very happy.

24-Oct-14
Destroyer - total BS on both of your stories, though they are the same stories that have been told in at least 15 midwestern and eastern states. Seriously, at least make up something original.

Richard, surely you aren't insinuating people with Missouri or Oklahoma deer licenses have ventured into Kansas, when our gun season is not open, and shot deer? :-)

In 30-plus years, I never had anybody with Wildlife and Parks say we did not have mountain lions. They said we had no proof, which we didn't until 2007.

Silly people, dealing in hard facts and not rumors.

Repeatedly I interviewed lion biologists in Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota about proof of mountain lions. They always said, "When you get mountain lions, you'll know."

Even before trail cams they said lions would be showing up in coyote snares and traps, as roadkills or a nuisance predators around sheep and goats.

24-Oct-14
You're welcome for the lions Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, and Minnesota. Please shoot and trap as many as you want. We'll send plenty more. Signed....South Dakota.

24-Oct-14
Please remember lion sightings only occur when acknowledged by the proper authorities.

24-Oct-14
Amazing, I've gotten a lot fewer reports of mountain lions in Kansas since they were finally documented in 2007.

25-Oct-14
New York state says we don't have any but they are"protected"

25-Oct-14
Funny stuff Writer!! Kansas native here, heard that exact same story in high school and I'm 54. Now, let's talk Bigfoot,

25-Oct-14
saw one in southeast Kansas in 1962 while squirrel hunting.

25-Oct-14
Writer...the more people that believe they exist the more sightings we will have....

They are not much for carrion and in SC Kansas it would be a challenge to jump out of a hedge tree and take deer. They are going to resort to calves, sheep, etc and you would sure hear of that in the coffee shop if it occurred! As reported, probably a lost male on a mission through the state and not setting up residence. 95% of sightings are a good imagination that makes people listen!

25-Oct-14
The cat that was tracked from NW through SW Kansas killed no deer, only smaller things but worked, I think, on a roadkill.

Amazing, we have two different houndsmen in Kansas, who run their dogs on bobcats in KS and lions in the mountains, chased mountain lion leads in Kansas for close to 20 years.

They went to a lot of reports, but nobody ever showed them so much as a track.

Kansas as been ranked as some of the poorest mountain lion habitat in the nation by The Cougar Network.

And John, I kinda disagree. People saw more mountain lions when they were "hey did you hear what Ol" Smitty saw?" legends.

Game wardens that have moved from Kansas to the Rocky Mountains got a lot more lion reports in Kansas, than up in the mountains where there are healthy populations.

25-Oct-14
Mike...I thought I told you to stay OFF the "Cougar Network"?

25-Oct-14
one had to be put down in IL. by conservation this year. there protected in IL.

25-Oct-14
Just trolling through to see what I could find for you Kyle.

RUN, KYLE, RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25-Oct-14
And John, I kinda disagree. People saw more mountain lions when they were "hey did you hear what Ol" Smitty saw?" legends.

Writer...that is exactly what I said "...the more people that believe they exist the more sightings we will have"

27-Oct-14
My buddy Doug who I have known as a kid was the Ranger at Spanish Peaks Scout Ranch for 35 years and he still lives up there on the Mountain. Sightings over the 65 years if his life in prime habitat = 2. Kills using hounds to locate and tree = many. Fact is they are just plain hard to catch a glimpse of. I would say heavy use of trail cameras started for the masses in 2005-2007 as well,

27-Oct-14
It's amazing, near where I live here in Iowa, people see them pretty regularly! None of my hunting buddies nor I have ever seen tracks, trailcam pics, or even a glimpse, but so and so's wife's cousin saw one twice last week!

No doubt in my mind that there are a few in the state as several have been killed in the last ten years, but you would think the people that that spend the most time in the woods would be the ones that would see them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

BTW, they are not considered a game animal here & it is legal to kill them here.

27-Oct-14
I agree with you 100% t-roy.

Everyone here claims there is a large resident population of cats in this area, yet none of them are hunters or outdoorsman of any kind. It's always "So and so saw a mountain lion down by the creek, or cross the road" but I'm out there year round and see nothing, not even sign. I've seen a few tracks when I lived in AZ, so I do know what they look like.

I actually believe KDWPT when they say the cats that have been confirmed in the state are probably transient young males looking for a new home range.

27-Oct-14
Brotsky, we have SD cats in OK too. I believe the one that was roadkilled here a couple of years ago had SD DNA.

27-Oct-14
So Dak

The one killed by the train had a SD collar on it.

Not a tracking chip, a big collar. :-)

27-Oct-14
They have been walking through KS for decades. I saw one myself. I am just glad we can prove it now so the sh** talkers and biologists can stop saying there are none.

• Sitka Gear