Brotsky 10-Nov-14
JackPine Acres 10-Nov-14
TSOV 20-Dec-14
Bou'bound 20-Dec-14
TSI 21-Dec-14
Rob Nye 21-Dec-14
TSI 21-Dec-14
29-Oct-14
I'm looking for a Bear Outfitter in Canada, probably a baited hunt. I've shot a few Black Bears and would prefer an area with a high concentration of Color Phase Bears. My wife will be going with me. Any suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

29-Oct-14
I see this has been asked and answered a number of times, disregard.........

29-Oct-14
PM sent.

29-Oct-14
If you're interested in a hound hunt instead of bait I know a really good outfitter with a fair amount of color phase bears.

29-Oct-14
Adrenaline outfitters.

30-Oct-14
Rob Nye!!

30-Oct-14
Mike's outfitting Alberta

30-Oct-14
X2 for Mike's Outfitting Alberta. Great operation with tons of bears and plenty of color phase. I took both of my 13yo boys and had a great time. Both my son and I shot nice blond bears.

30-Oct-14
Thanks guys! Adrenaline, I didn't get the PM.

30-Oct-14
I'm headed to northern alberta outfitters in May. They've had great reviews and I did a ton of research.

30-Oct-14

Bear Track's Link
We get 30% color phase in our bears and you can follow our link but for consistent chances on colored bears, Mike's hands down.

30-Oct-14
Eagle Eye or Mike's.

31-Oct-14
Adrenaline outfitters, i have been on numerous bear hunts throughout Canada best outfitter i have found

31-Oct-14

Adrenaline Russ's Link
Hey Randy, tried another pm, if you do not get it, just email or call me. We only have 2 spots left for 2015, but the dates just might work for you. If you'd like, check out our facebook page. We kept a pretty accurate account going for the last 2 springs' hunts.

[email protected] or just give me a call at 204-392-3337

russ

31-Oct-14
North Mountain Adventures. Has 3 tags left, bowsite sponsor and color phase bears.

01-Nov-14

manitobabear's Link
hi, at OUTLAND OUTFITTING in grand rapids,mb we have had 50-65% color phase taken over the previous years. unfortunately only 1 tag remaining. but for 2016 we have spots available.

02-Nov-14
Lots of colors with these outfitters -

Manitoba - Manitoba Stickflingers, Desjardins Outfitting

Saskatchewan - Rob Nye

Alberta - Mike's Outfitting, Garrett Bros.

02-Nov-14
Do all bear outfitters have this wounding policy in effect now? One and done, not sure I would book with an outfitter with a policy like that. Things happen and wounding a animal is never good, however, to pay the kind of fees they charge now a days and be done after one not sure I agree.

02-Nov-14
That's not what I experienced while looking for an alberta outfitter. All were two bear but an additional fee for the second bear may apply

02-Nov-14
LBshooter; I instituted a wounding policy because the amount of bears wounded got ridiculous. I only take a limited amount of hunters and that is why lots of people return because they like the fact there are fewer hunters, increasing their chances for trophy bears. But if hunters are shooting 2 bears to kill one then it kinda negates the whole theory of limited hunting pressure. If they listen to instructions on how to shoot them the bears pile up right smartly but if they decide they know better and don't follow my advice then bad shots are often the result. Bears are super easy to kill with a bow at 15 yards or less at a bait, not much excuse for poor shooting at a large easy target imo. Wounding rates dropped considerably after guys knew they had to make their shot count or go home hideless. They are an amazing animal and I have too much respect for them to let guys fling arrows with no consequences. I know the policy costs me clients but I don't care, if you had been on as many fruitless and depressing trailing jobs after poor shooting as I have over the last 30 years you would do the same thing.

02-Nov-14
I have had guys wound three bears in a week that was not good , it takes years to grow big bear since we implemented a wound policy the number of wounded bear dropped by 75 percent . We hate to see guys go home without a bear you need to take your time and make an ethical shot it's only fair to the animal, sorry to high jack your thread .

02-Nov-14

MANITOBABEAR's Link
I agree with rob Nye so many people want second chances if they wound a bear. plus if you didn't have a wound policy, people would start making more foolish shots and chances for being no penalty. Im glad all the outfitters stick together and have the wound policy. if we didn't you wouldn't have as many bear or trophy bears. I've lost a few clients because of the wound policy, from the hunters point of view I understand you paid a lot of money to come. we all feel sorry for you, but like everything in life there is rules. To the hunter I say good luck finding a decent outfitter who allows second and third chances.

josh

02-Nov-14
As a hunter I'm happy these are being put in place.

08-Nov-14
As I

08-Nov-14
I've been guiding hunters for 35 years. I'm extremely glad to see this policy finally taking hold. I've gone into thick timber too many times after wounded Lions and Grizzlies that it gets real old, real fast. And every time it was because of horrible shooting on the clients part. Good for you guys up north!

08-Nov-14
The number one complaint of Ontario outfitters in Canada isbowhunters wounding bears.

10-Nov-14
Callingalldeer, I enjoy working with bowhunters. They practice on a regular basis while in camp to ensure they take the best ethical shot possible. I see less wounds with archery bear hunters than I do of bear hunters using other methods of taking a bear.

10-Nov-14

spike buck's embedded Photo
spike buck's embedded Photo
Heres a fine Ontario P&Y bow kill!! Western Ontario is about 5% colour phase.

10-Nov-14
The wounding policy is a good deal. You pay for a hunt and a chance to make a good shot on a bear. The outfitter has done his job by presenting you with the opportunity that you as the hunter chose to take. After that it's your job as the client to make the shot. If I fail at my task then it's 100% on me and I will live with that. It's not fair to the animals or the outfitters to keep asking for second chances. This goes without saying but every effort for the rest of that hunt should be made to recover the wounded animal where possible.

10-Nov-14
I agree with the wounding policy, draw blood and your tag is filled. Granted, anything can happen when shooting an arrow but bear hunting over bait is typically a 15yard shot or shorter.

You owe it to the animal to shoot all summer and shoot in camp before heading to a stand. I've been on 3 outfitted bear hunts and I'm shocked at the lack of shooting in camp prior to going out. I bring my own target just to make sure I get a chance to shoot daily.

On my very first bear hunt, the outfitter had a bow shooting "test" on the day you arrived. He let you know before you booked with him that if you hunt with a bow, you will need to put 4 arrows in a circle drawn on a 3D bear target from 15 yards out of a ladder stand he set up. When you arrived in camp, he showed you the set-up and said you can practice all you want and the test is at 5pm. Come 5pm, everyone gathered to watch the shooters and if you didn't pass, you were hunting with a gun. We had 5 guys in camp, our 3 guys passed and the other 2 didn't - they had to hunt with a rifle and one of them wounded a bear and still couldn't find it.

After speaking with the outfitter at dinner, he mentioned that he does the test to put the pressure on the shooter in front of the other hunters. If you can stand up to that pressue, you will be able to handle yourself when a bear comes into the stand.

Take your time and make every shot count. :)

20-Dec-14
Have a Awesome Saskatchewan bear Outfitter....Lots of bears over 20" !

20-Dec-14
I wonder what % of hit but not recovered bears die.

I have no problem with the policy if it is called out at booking time. Heck the outfitter can say you can only shoot bears on tuesdays between 7pm and 8:16pm if that is what he wants to market and require and if hunters book knowing that.

if wounded bears are dying unrecovered some of that has to be on the outfitter from a tracking perspective. some of it. the best of these guys are great at finding game, they get a lot of practice.

if wounded bears are not dying the outfitters are making out with no reduction in resource but a fully paid hunt. nice gig.

I bet aboutunder 50% of hit and not recovered live. the gut shots one's won't but shoulder hits will and many bear hits are low or high based on the hair and those backstrap hits and brisket hits will live.

21-Dec-14
I always count on 50% live 50% dont and think this is a fair number.However the 50% that live become very nervous and usually long lived animals.Woundings can be like a disease some weeks when it seems everyone is infected and other weeks everyone makes the mark.The only time wounding is hardest to manage is when guys think that its a shoot till i get lucky hunt and most outfitters have seen it.Alot of bears are lost in rain!

21-Dec-14
I find the gut shot bears 99-100% of the time it is the shoulder shots that always end up with the blood petering out and a missing bear after 800-1200 yards (GPS confirmed). Have killed shoulder shot bears days later when they return to a bait or show up at another one. So if they do live it is not "a nice gig for the outfitter" but days, months or maybe years of pain and agony for the bear, an animal I have the utmost respect for. Too many hunters wound something and take a "no biggie" attitude. Some days it really makes me wonder why I chose my profession when I see hunters with that mindset. There is nothing easier to kill than a bear if the arrow is placed properly and there is little excuse for messing it up at typically ultra-short ranges and relaxed animals.

21-Dec-14
Couldnt agree more with Rob.Respect for the animal involves proper shot placement.It is hard when guys dont take a wounding serious but at the same time most hunters are torn up and feel terrible.The no biggie syndrome is related to the "its not my backyard attitude"Its real hard spending years with bears not to have gained respect for them.

• Sitka Gear