Chip T. 30-Oct-14
wildwilderness 30-Oct-14
TD 30-Oct-14
Steve Lewis 30-Oct-14
OdinsEdge 31-Oct-14
TD 31-Oct-14
willliamtell 31-Oct-14
30-Oct-14
I am flying instead of driving this year for my midwest hunt. Will I have any problems getting through the airport packing my knife, folding saw, etc in my checkin luggage? Obviously it won't be in my carry on. Thanks.

30-Oct-14
shouldn't be a problem

30-Oct-14
no...I did have one (saw) in my carry on by accident once...TSA now owns my saw. (and I'm lucky that is all that happened...)

30-Oct-14
Guys here's what you do - look up all possible fees beforehand.

Plan on every possible fee being charged.

Most of the time it doesn't happen so you feel as though you saved.

Believe me - it's the ONLY way to fly...

This has made it so much easier to not feel like you were getting the short end of the stick.

BTW I know it sucks to have all these fees but I would MUCH rather fly 1,500 miles then drive.

30-Oct-14
Pat,

That is the first time that I have ever heard of someone's carry on bag being weighed.....good to know.

I'll be curious to see if this happens more in the future.

30-Oct-14
Air Canada show a max of 22 lbs. for carry on baggage.

30-Oct-14
That's when you start putting the "Carry ON" ON!

Put the clothes on, put the binos around your neck, put stuff in your pockets etc.

They don't care how much people weigh so I think its ridiculous.

You can have a 80lb kid and a 300lb passenger and both only get 15lbs. go figure.

Now I can understand if they want to be fair and give each passenger an allowed amount for total weight, either body fat or luggage like most air taxis who just care how much weight is going on the plane

30-Oct-14
Just got back from a Molokai hunt and the airline weighs you while holding your carry-on for a combined weight. I don't know exactly what their combined limit was. Small planes, 10 passenger if I recall.

Never seen them weigh carry-ons yet but they are getting stricter on sizes, some I've seen folks stuff in overheads are obviously too big. My carry-on is my backpack but it's pretty close to regulation size and have never been asked to size it. (13" wide so an inch under but 24" long so two inches over) I wouldn't put it past any airlines to start weighing them.

Much of my backpack size and weight is in my top lid. I'd just pull that off (it's my fanny pack as well) and call it my purse.... =D

I've brought carry-ons home from elk hunts full of frozen elk and had to be 50+ lbs. One flight you have to check in carry-ons that don't fit under the seat.... I thought the little old lady the put in charge of handling them was going to beat me with a stick, never heard such language before from the blue haired bloody mary group....

30-Oct-14
Thank you guys.

31-Oct-14
Do yourself a favor and use curbside check-in if your airport has it. I flew to Spokane last month and had zero issues with weight or size, and I should have, my SKB case is oversized. They don't care what's in your check-in luggage as long as it's not firearms or ammo.

31-Oct-14
Knives, saws, broadheads, etc. are fine in checked bags. No stove fuel, butane (thermacell), torch lighters, aerosol (bear spray, etc.).

Remember... TSA actually stands for Takes Sh!t Away.... I've had them take a tiny knife on my keychain and a tube of fletchtite out of the tool kit in my bowcase. They are picky about chemicals and flammables.

Bow cases are sporting goods and normally treated like golf clubs, etc. They waive the oversize for the most part. I have a good many air miles in.... never been charged oversize and my case is a pretty big aluminum Kalispel double.

But whatever you do stay under 50lbs on all checked luggage. You will get popped for that. I travel with a digital pocket scale these days. Doesn't take much meat to get to 50lbs in a cooler. 51 and they will usually get ya.

31-Oct-14
I got the whole treatment: body search, swab through my luggage, etc. when I flew through SFO a month ago. My mistake: wore camo pants and had a camo fanny pack as carry-on. Lesson learned. I flew out a couple weeks ago, had my fanny pack stashed inside a Sierra Club duffel, no camo clothing visible - sailed through security. I stuff as much clothing and soft padding-type material as possible in my bowcase. I also have a handheld digital scale - worth it's weight in gold. Wearing your hiking boots onto the plane can save several pounds of luggage weight, but it sort of blows your airport camo.

• Sitka Gear