General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Elkhunter - Home 30-Oct-14
Medicinemann 30-Oct-14
bigswivle 30-Oct-14
Elkhunter - Home 30-Oct-14
drycreek 30-Oct-14
30-Oct-14
Was helping a buddy track a doe he shot last week. We were hunting on the Tombigbee River in west Alabama. My buddy had hit a small limb and the arrow had deflected enough that he hit the doe in the neck. She was bleeding real good so our hopes were high. Five us set out on the tracking job. I was in the lead when we finally found her. As soon as I hit her with the light I saw a large boar hog eating her. We only had one gun in the bunch and of course he was in the back of the pack.

The boar started at me without hesitation. I started hollering for the guys and everyone ran up but the guy with the gun of course. The boar decided to turn and leave. He just walked away slowly. The guy with the gun got there to late to kill the boar.

The point of the story is for all of you guys hunting in hog country, be careful. If legal, make sure you carry a firearm for protection. It only takes a second for a hog to really do some damage!

As for the doe, the boar had eaten her neck into the shoulders up real bad and had eaten the hind quarters out. We did manage to save the back straps.

30-Oct-14
how long had she been dead?

30-Oct-14
They sometimes beat the buzzards to dead cows down here in Florida.

30-Oct-14
She had been down guessing about 2 hours.

30-Oct-14
Whether real or imagined, the thought of a hog encounter in the dark makes me tote more than a sharp stick. Today , it was a Glock 20. Hog medicine for sure ! I've only been threatened once, but a 175/200+ boar hog will hurt you if he takes a notion. A friends nephew almost bled to death from a hog cut next to his anus a few years ago. Hog flipped him over and cut him before he knew what happened. He drove himself to the hospital, but was getting weak from blood loss as he got there. Not an experience I would care for. Not to mention the infection you could get from the nasty bastards.

• Sitka Gear