Jaquomo 31-Oct-14
tradi-doerr 31-Oct-14
kentuckbowhnter 05-Nov-14
Beendare 05-Nov-14
Jaquomo 05-Nov-14
TurkeyBowMaster 05-Nov-14
Mule Power 05-Nov-14
31-Oct-14
hello guys, we are starting to research areas of southern Colorado for a backpack elk hunt.would like some input from anybody on areas to start looking into.2015 will be here before you know it, and we want to be ready.thanks and good hunting!you can pm me if you prefer.

31-Oct-14
The CO CPW website has all the info you need on hunter numbers in each area, harvest stats, success rates, and interactive maps showing summer range, migration corridors, public and private land.

All the units have elk. Just think carefully about the backpack hunt thing. You may be walking past a lot of elk to get to where some elk were last week, only to find other camps on every ridge around. Backpack hunting is the new cool thing, but not necessarily the best way to find and kill elk in an area with which you're unfamiliar. You'll then have killed several days of your hunt while you pack out and relocate to start all over.

31-Oct-14
+1 Jaquomo

05-Nov-14
lots of elk can be found "not way back in"

05-Nov-14
I can vouch for Jaq's comments. We sometimes walk in a couple horses and make big loops in the backcountry. We used to have a pretty good spot in So Co about 9 mies in but then the last year we were there we had 4 camps within 400 yds of us...and a few others tucked away. Need less to say, the word got out on that spot and its not as good as it used to be.

The crazy thing is that year we kept moving and found the elk 1.5 miles from the east side[ we went in from the west- about 11 miles] TH.

05-Nov-14
Anymore, the further you go, the closer you're getting to people coming from the other direction.

One secret - a terrific "deep and far warrior" repellant is proximity to ATV roads. They avoid them like the plague. But most ATV warriors don't go more than a mile from their trusty steeds on any given foray. That means a lot of untouched country exists between the two philosophies.

05-Nov-14
Deep in the front side is shallow on the backside. There are a lot better tricks than just plunging in deep...I used one to kill my elk the first time out.

05-Nov-14
Jaquomo X 2!

You're in the lower 48 not the upper Yukon. People are everywhere. So are elk. The elk don't look at each other and say "Hey man, lets hike 10 or 12 miles in" lol

I could show you places where you'll hear bugles from your truck. A good spotting scope will find elk for you from the truck too.

Not that there's anything wrong with packing in but it's more for the experience than anything. But like Lou said.. you'll sacrifice valuable time getting in.... and complicate things getting your elk out. if you've never hunted elk before I'd take a small bite and chew on that for starters.

• Sitka Gear