cnelk 01-Nov-14
sitO 01-Nov-14
deerslayer 02-Nov-14
Ambush 02-Nov-14
Bowboy 02-Nov-14
XMan 03-Nov-14
31-Oct-14

STOPHER's Link
First self filmed archery kill. Buck is a nine point that grossed 118 and whose final score was 113. Got him on public land in NW Pennsylvania.

31-Oct-14
Nice work. Self filmed deer are tough.

31-Oct-14
Awesome job!!!! I've never had a buck come back after picking me off like that. I'm glad it worked out for you.

113... a lot of folks would say that is a 140 class deer! lol

Congratulations on a FINE deer!!!!

31-Oct-14
Congrats,,, I got a go pro I'm going to start trying to video some hunts. What did you use? eD

31-Oct-14
Awesome! Congrats on a great deer bud.

I am certain that if that had been me in that tree, I would never have gotten that deer to come back. I would have told you the same thing about your chances of doing so as well, prior to watching this video. I'm also very surprised he didn't react to the bow more. The important thing is I would have been wrong and you got him. Congratulations again on a fine buck. God Bless

31-Oct-14
Nice work!

31-Oct-14
Well played Stopher - you are a natural. Congrats with both the kill and the footage. What model video camera are you using and accessories (camera swing arm, holder)?

31-Oct-14
I cant believe he came back....no way!!!!

Awesome.

31-Oct-14
Good deal! Congrats

31-Oct-14
One dumb buck, coming back, good job and congrats.

31-Oct-14
Nice work young man, congrats!

31-Oct-14
Everything about this is very cool!!! Great job man!

31-Oct-14
cool!

01-Nov-14
Awesome job. Nothing like filming it all yourself. It is very rewarding to so. Great footage. Now you will be hooked and film every hunt. Only advice....Don't ever zoom in and then watch the animal coming to you through the camcorder viewfinder or LCD without looking up....LOL... I did that a few times and missed my chance to shoot because I wasn't paying attention to how close the deer really was to me. lol. My buddy just did that and it got about 10 yards away before he realized. He started to draw and it ran 10 yards and stopped dead broadside but out of the camera view. Your vid is wayyyyy better man..

Send me a PM if you can. Would be very interested in the kind of camera arm you use or if you made your own. I have been searching for a very versatile one that swings around real well so I can get better footage but haven't quite found what I like yet and I have went trough several trying to optimize..

I agree with others and cant believe it came right back to you. That made it even better to watch and I am stoked you captured it all....

Will show this to my buddy who often swears deer never really look up..... lol...You were eye to eye.

Did he pin you when you drew or did he bust you before that?. Great shot by the way and awesome buck.

01-Nov-14
Please a photo or a description of your camera set-up.

01-Nov-14
Awesome! Way to stay positive after he busted you in the tree and continue to grunt at him! It all worked....congrats!

Mark

01-Nov-14
Believe me... I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him coming back in.

01-Nov-14

STOPHER's embedded Photo
STOPHER's embedded Photo
I use a big game treestands camera arm (see pic) that I modified so I could put a Dolica fluid head on it. (This made filming ten times easier than with the original head)

My camera is a sony handycam hdr-cx240

Normally I would have had a sony actioncam set up as a second angle shot, but I had no where to put it in this particular situation.

01-Nov-14
Well played and thanks for the post. It was un real to see that deer come back around! Congrats on a beautiful animal and sweet video.

01-Nov-14
Awesome buck! And awesome job filming it all. Better than the pros! I'd rather watch that then the junk they put on tv anyday. Thanks for sharing.

01-Nov-14
Nice buck ! Getting that recorded makes it even better, catching the geese on your audio really adds to the experience. Well done :)

01-Nov-14
How can I see that video on Bowsite Mobile?

01-Nov-14
Nice job all around!

01-Nov-14
Good Job!!!

01-Nov-14
Good job! Mike

01-Nov-14
Here you go Heritage, maybe this will make it easier to view:

Again, nice job Stopher...keep it up!

01-Nov-14
Good job all around and congrats!

01-Nov-14
Ok..let's pump the brakes on this a little. STOPHER is not ready for Nat geo just yet. Great first...but it still a first.

STOPHER, get yourself a shot list of scenes i to shoot, learn to edit and edit stuff in. It makes it better. Trust me. Stop the whispering.

You are young, you obviously have a passion, and you just did something not many of the pro's even dare to attempt.

01-Nov-14
Thank you sitO

01-Nov-14
Excellent!

01-Nov-14
@TBM, I am not trying to act like I should be on Nat Geo. I agree that B roll makes a huge difference in quality of a hunting video, but with the quality of camera that I have if I try to do that stuff( Rack focus', Macro shots etc.) it just looks like a wannabe. So until I can afford better cameras I'm just trying to keep it real. But thanks for the advice.

01-Nov-14
And also, I refuse to act out what happened before the shots. That is why I normally have a second angle camera like an action cam. To me it is easy to pick out when someone does the whole acting thing, especially an ameateur... and I know all the pros do it

01-Nov-14
Personally myself I think the vid is perfect. Its raw and real baby! Don't change a thing.

01-Nov-14
Funny...TBM using words like "edit" when giving "advice".

Great job on the self vid, Stopher! Thanks for sharing.

01-Nov-14

01-Nov-14
Good thing you removed that post TBM'

I was gonna toast you

01-Nov-14
Good Job with the film. Keeping it real is what I like. (I bet that buck won't come back again) Ha.

01-Nov-14
Hey its good to see it up and posted man. Did you get in touch with the skull mount guy then?

01-Nov-14
Yea, i took it in Tuesday

01-Nov-14
Is he busy yet?

01-Nov-14
great job! you should be both very happy and very proud. very well done sir!!!

01-Nov-14
Yea, he said he had to take off work the next day... had 3 elks 3 or 4 hogs or something, and prolly 8 deer just from tuesday.

01-Nov-14
Good stuff, young man! Congratulations and well documented.

01-Nov-14
I really enjoyed your video. You done good. I showed it to my son and he liked it as well. You and he have the same hats... Prob about the same age.

01-Nov-14

02-Nov-14
Great vid and great buck!

I have self-filmed for many years now, and had to forgo a lot of opportunities over the years because of it, but I have also been able to capture a ton of great hunts as well. Stick with it. I was probably around your age when I started.

Self filming is an art and like anything the more you do it the better at it you get. It's also the real deal as I'm sure you know. Adds an element of difficulty that those who've never done it don't even realize. You're off to a great start. Keep it up.

02-Nov-14
I've been trying to film/self film for years with limited success. It takes another level of dedication. Great video and good job on sticking to the plan to get it on tape. I freely admit , for me the shot comes first, but happy there are guys like you that take the extra time to "bring the hunt" to us.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the "circular" move with the camera on your face and the background revolving. Makes me dizzy and seems a bit "virtually" unreal. But I can close my eyes for that little bit.

Congratulation on a very nice buck and the lasting testimony to the hunt.

02-Nov-14
Very nicely done thanks for sharing.

03-Nov-14
Great job Stopher, enjoyed the video and congrats on your buck!

• Sitka Gear