TurkeyBowMaster 09-Nov-14
DL 09-Nov-14
R. Hale 10-Nov-14
TurkeyBowMaster 10-Nov-14
Buffalo1 10-Nov-14
Ace 11-Nov-14
Mule Power 12-Nov-14
01-Nov-14
Ok...here it goes. All you who have the resources to go on exotic hunts but don't have either bowhunting knowledge or knowledge of the species come on here and pick our minds and we make it easy for you to have success. Now it's your turn....tell us how to make money so we can go on these hunts.

01-Nov-14
I'm a male prostitute. 1 lonely woman = a Yukon moose hunt. ;)

01-Nov-14
Get a job....or even better start a business and create some jobs.

01-Nov-14
Coming on Bowsite might expand a bowhunter's repetoire or skill set....but it isn't going to make it easy. Same thing for financial freedom. Use some of that next level thinking....

01-Nov-14
Work. Doesn't matter at what, just work, and don't spend what you make on something you can do without. Mike

01-Nov-14
Normally starts with higher education, then an entry level job with promotion potential.

For me, it stated with Army aviation, then nite school college. Retirement from the service and a job that I'm able to apply my education and experience.

No worthy hunts are easy. South Africa was a walk in the park and more like a zoo.

01-Nov-14
I'm a kept man.

01-Nov-14
ROTFLMAO!!!! As though there were some magic phrase, like "Open, Sesame!" that the well-to-do could convey to you? One that would open a hidden door to vast riches? Oh, yeah. Those are everywhere.

Inquiring of successful people as to how one can become well off is silly. If you ask a piano virtuoso how to play a difficult piece and he tells you that you just have to hit the right keys at the right time, are you better off?

I'm not financially independent or a top line bow hunter, but I can tell you that the directions for success are the same for both.

Stop self-destructive or limiting behaviors.

Be observant.

Be focussed

Work hard.

Don't be constrained by "traditional" thinking.

Take some risks.

Be at the right place at the right time.

Have a little luck from time to time.

Don't give up when success doesn't arrive immediately.

There you go. Maybe some of the guys who have obtained financial freedom can chime in and let me know if I'm off base, but I believe you owe me a consulting fee, Steve. As I said, I'm good on hunting advice too. How about a couple of dried turkey feet for the kids?

01-Nov-14
I think the only thing I learned from you is that its actually possible to piss in a tiny bottle going 70 MPH. (Grin)

01-Nov-14
There are lots of ways to make money. The best legal way is working and not focusing on what other people have or do.

01-Nov-14
Just as important is to KEEP what you make. The surest way to drain your bank account is to be careless about where you, ahem, "dip your beak." Young men, beware!

01-Nov-14
Oriansbrother pretty much hit it. One other thing I would add is your choice of a spouse. No other decision in your life will affect you more.

01-Nov-14
No doubt, Cornpone. Great point. The wrong spouse can have real negative impact on both hunting and finances...as well as sanity.

I have a friend with a real challenging one. I'd rather light myself on fire than be married to her.

01-Nov-14
Decide what is more important in life...Spending money on a hunt (that you have researched the heck out of and found a price that fits your budget), or spend money on something that really isn't needed and will only postpone the hunt you want to go on.

I love quality gear, but have a hard time paying full price for NEW stuff. Great gear can be had for a darn good price if bought used, just be sure to do your research.

I'm a man of very little means, but I have gone on some awesome DIY hunts: Goats on Kauai, Hawaii; Mule Deer in Wyoming (DIY saves a TON of $). I have been described as being "Cheaper than a Chinese toy". With that being said, I'm now planning a moose hunt that I have set a budget for and MUST remain within my constraints, and maintaining a happy home front with a wife and 2 kids that come before anything I may "Want" to do.

01-Nov-14
Grow 300 acres of watermelons. :)

01-Nov-14
Don't be afraid to work. Then work some more. I said this before (and got shot down by some) but there are hundreds of opportunities all the time to make money. Take some of that extra cash from the extra work and find a way to make more with it. Buy something that is underpriced and sell it on eBay or another medium for a profit. Then repeat This can add up quickly. Once your pot gets bigger then you can buy bigger items with more profit potential. If I told you how much I've earned doing this you would not believe it. This doesn't take education or training....just an eye for a deal and a little hard work and some guts. My seed money actually grew to enough to buy a chunk of land which I bought strategically and then timbered and sold for almost a 200k profit. It can happen to you too. It all starts with desire, wisdom and a little hard work.

01-Nov-14
Y'all addressing TBM here, not your kid just about to graduate. Keeping than in mind: Sell a kidney. Sell your wife's kidney.Catch a Bigfoot. Catch the new world record Bighead bass. Invent the iPhone. Start a worm farm. Meth. Grow a long beard and change your last name to Robertson. Buy and sell used trucks. Teach english at the locale community collage. Work at the carnival on the weekends. Follow an armored truck around until a bag of money falls out the back. Sell a few of 250 turkey mounts laying around the trailer home.

Just a few ideas.

01-Nov-14
Spend less time starting ridiculous threads, for starters!

01-Nov-14
I starting running an ad on the financial channels on the TV and on radio about how I became a millionaire. My fee is $1 to find out my secret to becoming a millionaire. So far I am at $7.5 million.

01-Nov-14
Build a better mousetrap! Seriously. Whatever you do, so it better and with better customer service than the guy down the road, and they will build a path to you.

01-Nov-14
Get an education above the 3rd grade. Get a job. Work hard.

01-Nov-14
I must confess that I find it interesting that you feel "entitled" to some advice on how to improve your financial situation (...now it's your turn...), because you have shared some hunting related ideas on here.....

Virtually everyone else has shared suggestions and exploits with no expectation of compensation. We really are wired differently.....

01-Nov-14
I don't smoke..that saves..I don't drink.. That saves. I don't live outside my means. I shop at Walmart.. I don't purchase all my gear from Cabelas. I don't wear top of the line $300.00 dollar Jacket and $400.00 pants. I employ 10 people. I own my own company.I started it by mortgaging everything I had. Took a chance, barely made $200.00 dollars a week but paid my loan off. First before I did anything. As I grew, I only purchased what equipment I could pay for without depleting the company. When we made a profit I left it and lived off a very modest weekly wage. During all this time, I saved to go on a hunt here and there. Some hunts I could go on in a year..Some I saved for two. Its important to not live above your means in business ..Do what you can until you and your company can grow. Then one day you can perhaps afford to enjoy the hunts you only read about. I could afford a 15 k sheep hunt…I will never spend that kind of money on a sheep. That kind of money I could do several hunts over 5 years. KILLInSTUFF- love your sense of humor,TBM could take advice from you, Comedian !! Funny.

01-Nov-14
How about this...quit giving away hunting hots spots away to the rich for free. It's kind if like fixing a flat for the super rich guy while he sits in the car eating caviar and grey poupon. While you are at it a semi splashes road sludge all over your Sunday tshirt and when you get done the choufur spins out without so much as a thanks. We need to start chaining their rear end to a bridge pilon until we get out just due.

This stuff don't come fir free and we give it away like it does. We need a network if info and sell it...gps cirdansedes and finders fees etc.

Its high time to be depreciated for what we''re worth

01-Nov-14
Maybe if you fixed enough of those flats you could afford to go on those hunts....

01-Nov-14
Move to Colorado. Become farmer and live close to Elk !

01-Nov-14
No " Magic Wand"! Do the best you can at what you know something about & live within your means! Pay credit card off every month & if you can't do that don't use it. Write down where the money goes & like was mentioned earlier, your wife is extremely important!

Also some of the guys on here are not young anymore & we have been saving & scrimping for years to go on a hunt now & then! Too many young guys want too much at an early age & mortgage their life to "Keep up with the Jone's"! 2 marriages & raising 10 kids,6 step children, kept me working for 40 years & I still can't do the hunts I see others go on! My wife works so we get medical benefits & some years the Commercial Fishing, my work, is good & other years we tread water!

Good Luck & 'Sharpen the Pencil"! David

01-Nov-14
Or you could sell your Hoyt carbon bow and buy one less expensive. Use the left over money to go on another hunt

Just saying...........

Your not as destitute as you make yourself out to be.. How many acres do you own again?

01-Nov-14

01-Nov-14
In my experience, some of the best hunters and best advice on this board has come from the guys who do the high-end hunts. There's a reason they earn a good living, which starts with being fundamentally talented and highly motivated. These talents and abilities of course translate into everything they do in life, including hunting.

This fact may be passed over or missed by some, as the majority of these fellows are low-key operators. It would be extremely rare for the aforementioned guys to use this board for promoting themselves. They simply pass under the radar most of the time, having learned early on that results are achieved with actions, not with words or self-aggrandizement.

01-Nov-14
I'll never be rich with what I'm doing for work (law enforcement) but I get great bennies and lots of vacation. Like others have said I typically don't spend any of my 'work' money on hunting. I do the flip flop thing buying and selling to pay for fun stuff (hunts). If I didn't do all my hobbies I probably could have done a few sheep hunts by now lol.

That said I'm finally getting into the position to look into buying some rentals in the next few years (I turn 31 this Dec) and hopefully one day will have some actual money. If not I'm more then happy with how things are now.

01-Nov-14
Years of college, lots of hard work, and prioritize spending. I see a lot of couples making a combined 70-80k per year living in 150k plus houses. Don't see many couples making 200k living in a 100k house with two used cars.

Find a good women, the kind that prefers a fake diamond ring with 10k in the bank to one that wants 10k on her finger.

01-Nov-14
Sticksender is right on.

01-Nov-14
sticksender & Martin man,thanks very much for that,funniest thing I've read on here in a long time. You guys are again being trolled by TBM

01-Nov-14

Bake's MOBILE embedded Photo

Don't have kids. They drain your wallet and crush your soul

Especially little girls that use their cuteness as a weapon

01-Nov-14

My boy is an angel though :)

01-Nov-14
Bake,

You're right, my girls drain my sheep hunt budget yearly!

TBM,

Why are you so intent on making it more difficult for the "silver spoon" crowd that you so obviously are jealous of?

You kill one elk and now you are the keeper of the "oracle of knowledge" for bowhunting?

01-Nov-14
Learn the secret of compound interest.

Spend less than you make.

Don't buy anything on time.

Don' smoke, or drink, or chew.

Don't buy new when used will do.

Marry a rich widow.

Terry

01-Nov-14
Bake your kids are precious.

Look at what I'm getting at this way...I. order to find 2 good quality public land spots that offer a good representative of what a spring turkey hunt should be like, I had to make 5 trips to Texas, 2 to Ohio, twi to west Virginia, tow Georgia, one Mississippi, etc etc. If you consider time off work and expenses, I probably burned at least 10 grand to find these two places......and I would share them for the whole world to see between 2 blinks of an eye...why. how smart is that.

I just think the value of help here is severely underestimated and under appreciated.

Bowsite is free....what would you pay to stay a member? What would it be worth to you?

01-Nov-14
I've given info, some of it under appreciated, but the majority was greatly appreciated and I wouldn't dream of putting a price on helping those people. Taking someone out that has never heard a bugle in their life and calling bulls in for them is something you don't forget and not something I want to charge for.

01-Nov-14
Buy lottery tickets

01-Nov-14
Don't worry about those grapes that the affluent eat, they are sour anyway

01-Nov-14
Took me 10 years to discover the Simmons and I live 80 miles from where they were made and invented. No wonder no one else knows about them. You can learn about them and vpa in 5 minutes on bowsite. That is a value.

01-Nov-14
Work your butt off, or hope when you're born your parents did.

Avoid a divorce if all possible, haven't been down that road, but that will break a guy quick. Talk about submission!

If I had to do it all over again, I would have studied harder in school, work hard, and date girls who don't speak English and by no circumstances would I mess with an American or Canadian girl! Well, that is unless she didn't speak English.

01-Nov-14
I'll give you $100 to just go away...who's with me?

01-Nov-14
Bake,funding her bracelet account looks burdensome :)

02-Nov-14
Genesis. . . Did you know that they make toddler scarves? Not for warmth by the way, pure decoration. I know it now. :)

02-Nov-14
Of the Bowsite, I see a free exchange of ideas irrespective of financial circumstance and more relative to personal commitment.

TBM, when you die, if you are lucky, you will leave but one generation of family and, perhaps, a few friends that will even think of you. No one else will know you existed. I suggest you approach life accordingly.

02-Nov-14
TBM, you're concerned about people giving away hunting hotspots for free.. Wondering how much you paid for t th e advice on where to hunt elk in MT?

If you wrote and sold one article for every thread you start and continue to cultivate, you could afford a few high end hunts every year

02-Nov-14
None of these elk magazine guys acted interested in my elk story. Imagine that: a guy comes from east of the Mississippi, uses only turkey tactics to kill a true solo diy elk and nobody is interested. There is only around 25 million turkey hunters east of the Mississippi who could say "hey,If Tbm did it I can too"...25 million could relate and they didn't want the story????

I just don't think you hey want to share their smoke with anybody back east.

02-Nov-14
Magazines like Good Photos to go along with a story! You might want to practice taking photos? David

02-Nov-14
"None of these elk magazine guys acted interested in my elk story."

The expense of translating and spell checking make it cost prohibitive.

02-Nov-14
"The expense of translating and spell checking make it cost prohibitive".

Plus, they'd have to hire an editor who speaks the language.

Seriously, you need good photos to be published with this type of story. You have an interesting theme, and I think you should follow up with a story if you have the pictures to go along with it. I published a similar feature in Bowhunter last year about an elk hunter using elk tactics on red stags in Australia during the roar.

Interesting that there are only roughly 13.7 million hunters of all types in the entire U.S., but all 25 million of them hunt turkeys east of the Mississippi. Must be some of that Alabama new math! :)

02-Nov-14
It's not about saving or investing, it's about being an entrepreneur! When you think like a business owner and have the right personality profile, you will never run out of money. Some people just don't have this mindset and never will.

02-Nov-14
Bake you are blessed.

02-Nov-14
"None of these elk magazine guys acted interested in my elk story." maybe because they didn't find it that interesting?

02-Nov-14
do not go out to eat for lunch everyday

$10 x 5 days = $50 4 4 weeks = $200 x 12 months = $2400

cancel your satellite TV

$80 a month x 12 = $960

There is $3360 ..... hunts can be had for that and a lot less.

If you have a habit of smoking or chewing - quit, and add money to your hunting fund.

everyone makes enough money to hunt - not many save enough of the money they make to hunt

02-Nov-14
TBM,

Now it's your turn- you have forever been anti-exotics and anti-high fence and now all of a sudden you are interested in generating capital to pursue this style of hunting.

Why the sudden change in interest? (To help you out I'll play the part of the dumb fish on the line- go ahead and set the hook).

02-Nov-14
As per making more money? -Stay the heck of off Bowsite and use that time for working and making money. You danged sure aren't lazy.

As per selling the article - the guys are right. No quality photos, no story.

Also, a little accuracy might gain you more respect.

America has about 2.6 million wild turkey hunters, not 25 million in the eastern U.S..

But there maybe 25 million people who say, "Hey, who the hell is TBM?"

02-Nov-14
maybe they read your Elk hunting thread and that's what did you in...that, or maybe pictures of bottles full of urine don't sell magazines.....most good hunting stories keep the reader at the edge of their seat, not cringing at what the next page may bring.

02-Nov-14
Key word: Capitalize!!!! I worked in the financial world for 31 years and have preached to my clients to capitalize. The world teaches us to leverage. Why do you think that is the "conventional wisdom". It is simple. To seperate you from your money. The average person spends between $500,000 and $1,000,000 in interest payments in their lifetime and wind up with less than $100k saved total. Capitalize and by age forty, you can take many trips.

02-Nov-14
+1 g man.

Even getting a couple of extra years out of vehicles, per vehicle, can add up to to a lot of spending money.

02-Nov-14
300+ post tell a different story. Maybe it's the magazines that need to change. These GQ model bowhunters are a turn off.

What this is about is more about the information age where a guy can start bowhunting, come on here and get more info in a month than what many could get in a lifetime years ago. Now he can take his money and go hunting and appear to be some super hunter when he actually is a beginner. Kind of like how I can go to partsselect.com and troubleshoot a washer and fix it but still that doesn't make me the matag repairman. In the long run we might not be doing anyone any favor....it a inherently more satisfying to figure out stuff on your own.

02-Nov-14
300+ posts are free.

I think you got paid what it was worth

02-Nov-14
In response to the original queation, NYB!

... None Yo Bizness!

Just do what you gotta do.

02-Nov-14
"....it a inherently more satisfying to figure out stuff on your own."

So why are you asking the question, "Tell Us How to Make $$$$$" ? Since you are so smart, why do you even bother to ask questions of that nature?

You simply amaze me- "Took me 10 years to discover the Simmons and I live 80 miles from where they were made and invented. No wonder no one else knows about them"

Jerry Simmons and his broadheads have been in bowshops in central Mississippi since at least the 1980's. That would be further than 80 miles from where they were first designed and manufactured.

PS- Still waiting for you to "set the hook on me" on my rebuttal question as to why you are suddenly interested in hunting exotics. Are you really interested?

02-Nov-14
Buffalo1, we both know that he more or less meant "exotic" locales or "exotic" game that most don't get to hunt...not farmed animals behind a fence that most call "exotics"...

02-Nov-14
TBM, your last post is right on. You came on the Bowsite, learned as much as you could from elk hunting experts, watched media to learn to call, got tips from PMs on here about where to hunt, managed somehow to get a fatal arrow into a gullible young "jake" bull, and now act like you're the second coming of Danny Moore. Nothing wrong with that, but you are a classic product of the information age.

As far as the article, write it and send the package off. If it's any good, someone will buy it. Even if it's not, somebody might publish it anyway, just for the novelty of the theme. Everybody gets rejections. Nobody would touch John Grisham's first novel. Not good enough. Later, it became a bestseller and a movie.

Maybe they'll make a movie about your elk hunt.. :)

02-Nov-14
It wasn't like I was learning anything I already didn't know. The whole Danny more interview I was like that is just like turkey hunting...o learned nothing new except to apply what I already knew about turkey hunting to elk. Why does that bother so many elk hunters? I did get a call that was reccommended but lost it while taking a dump and went to a Turkey call. I was actually using the call along with the berry call to produce some combo sounds

"In response to the original queation, NYB! ... None Yo Bizness! "

Now then....if we all gave that responce to all hunting questions, everyone would have to learn on their own. Kind of a one way street Here don't ya think.

02-Nov-14
Open a Pizza restaurant !!!!!!!!

02-Nov-14
Dang Straight Clutch!!!!!

That guy has it made!

02-Nov-14

02-Nov-14
"300+ post tell a different story"

Rowdy Dowdy got 500+. You both belong in the same club. Sure wish there was a filter on this site.

02-Nov-14
TBM, I don't think any elk hunters are bothered by the fact that you applied turkey hunting knowledge to elk hunting. Hunting is hunting if you do anything besides sit in a tree (which is why pure whitetail hunters have such a tough time figuring out how to hunt elk). I think the barb is when you sound like it's some awesome, unachievable feat to come West and call in a young bull with a diaphragm. I use turkey calls too. That you were pointed to a good area with a decent elk population is 90% of the challenge.

Just like I believe any decent elk caller with any turkey knowledge could come to Alabama, get pointed to a good turkey area, pop up a blind and kill a turkey.

It's hunting, not rocket surgery.

And to your original question, you seem resourceful enough that you should be able to find a way to make more money. Lots of good suggestions here from people who are successful. Pig Doc's list should be given to every kid when they start high school.

In my case, I was a ditch digger at age 26 (really, literally). I dug the best ditch possible with a pick, shovel, and jackhammer, started getting noticed and promoted. I used my people and communication skills and was willing to step out of my comfort zone to volunteer for new challenges. That led to more promotions and being recruited for even better roles. It was like a snowball rolling down a steep hill.

At 40, due to a divorce, I started over at zero, broke, waiting for my next paycheck. But I still had the skills and the network. I changed jobs again - into a different, and scary, side of the industry where I had no experience - and pushed the snowball back down the hill.

By the time I quit working this past spring, I was making way more money than I ever dreamed possible, but people were willing to pay a lot for what I brought to the table. All because I was willing to take risks, volunteer to take on tough challenges, and develop my skills. You can do that, too.

02-Nov-14
Pig Doc,

You shared some great advice. Pity there is not some career choice/path courses in offered in elementary and secondary schools that teach what you have shared. We would certainly be raising a better generation of people and work force.

This thread reminds me of the famous line from the movie Cool Hand Luke, "What we have here is a failure to communicate." The greatest problem that we are dealing with is the seeker of advice lacks humbleness and a willingness to listen to sound advice. When one postures himself/herself to know all the answers, but does no understand the question there is a failure to communicate. There are some people in this world that cannot be helped and others that are beyond help. I'm not sure what category is relevant here.

This thread has inspired me to write an article on bowhunting exotics. I wrote my draft last night and I have already selected some photos to accompany the article. Hopefully it will be published; and, if I am compensated, it may help to finance a future hunt. Otherwise my experiences may help others who are truly interested in hunting exotics.

Secondly, the advice shared by others has help me to see additional ways of generating more income. I will begin initiating some changes in the morning that can make financial differences in the future. Listening is one of the major keys in learning.

02-Nov-14
Honestly, I think the first guy I remember to use Turkey tactics was Wayne Carlton back in the late eighties.Do you know who Wayne Carlton is TBM? Whatever you can come up with was probably done 30yrs ago,maybe that's the challenge you're going through? Also you might need to get 20-30 mature bulls under your belt with your tactics before anyone will take you serious,much like if I(turkey newb) came to your neck of the woods and shot a young jake and proclaimed to be the end all Turkey hunter.

What's this thread about again?

02-Nov-14
TBM,

You may not like everything that you'll read, or you may to try to find some way to excuse yourself from some of the specifics.....but if you REALLY want to try to effect change.....Feel free to read a thread from 2008.....entitled "Find a way!"

02-Nov-14
Quote TBM "It wasn't like I was learning anything I already didn't know".

I still can't decide if you are a master troll or if you really are what you portray.

I sincerely hope you are a troll.

Purposely seeking out shots on deer that are bad anglse and screened by brush to prove your superior abilities.

Any real bow hunter that proposed that would be chastised and run off the site. You have to be a "plant".

02-Nov-14
Lesson one.

If your parents are poor, that's your bad luck. But if your in-laws are poor that's your stupidity.

02-Nov-14
We're all wealthy.

Perspective is what is most often lacking.

02-Nov-14
TBM,

After reading "Find a way!"....then do a search for "I will make it happen!".

While I don't know how things turned out for Bowgramps, as I haven't see him on here in a quite a while, I know that once he changed his attitude, good things immediately started to occur for him....even on this website.....

02-Nov-14
Jake, good thread even though they ended up not finding a way :(

02-Nov-14
Keep checking your email for the one from the Nigerian oil minister who has zillions of dollars in oil money that he can't get out of Nigeria, so all you have to do is let him use your bank account (you have to send him all your banking info), and he will pay you ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

I just sent him my info so any day now I'll be wealthy!

Piece 'o cake!!

02-Nov-14
Jake,

What a great post and what great gems of wisdom.

*"Excuses only satisfy the people that use them. *Think outside of the box. *Emulate successful people. *You should be taking advice from people that have done what you wish to accomplish. *Do not listen to the naysayers, for they will steal your dream. *Surround yourself with excellence....but find a way. *Git ur done."

Thanks for sharing and reminding us that things are possible. My daddy pounded in my head that I could do anything I wanted to do, "IF" I wanted to bad enough. My daddy's advise and wisdom has proven to be true.

02-Nov-14
First of all a few of us were using diaphragm turkey calls to call elk in 1982! I ran into Larry Jones and Bill Sweetland in the remote Colorado back country hunting elk, and Larry got a real funny look on his face when he asked what I used for a call to go with my vacuum cleaner hose grunt tube. He did not think anyone knew about elk calling on a turkey diagram! He was selling a lot of the Jones external reed calls then. Anyway, I did not invent or perfect this but was shown by one of my buddies .33 seasons ago. As per making money, work hard, work with everybody and realize that everyone has good ideas, don't create enemies.......create allies, give credit where it is due to others, facilitate improvements and be honest. Worked for me!

02-Nov-14
TBM,

I usually stay away from your posts, as some are decent, and some are, for lack of a better word, confusing. I actually enjoyed your elk thread, as you backed up what you said you would do.

However, taking some unnecessary "shots" at guys on here will not get you any further advice, whether it be hunting or financial. There are many people on here that are hugely successful in business and hunting. A lot of the people on here that give hunting advice are the same guys who are financially successful to allow them to go on those hunts. They have been there and share that with others.

I have done a few hunts based on recommendations from guys here, and also passed up on a hunt or two after hearing how it went for others on here, many of whom are the "rich" guys that you stated got free information for their hunts. They may get info, but they are happily willing to share info as well, especially if they don't get called out by the person wanting some of the info.

And by the way, there are a few on here that will share financial advice as well, but again, they can't be called out before asking for help.

I think you are an ok guy, but you may want to change your approach if you plan on continuing using Bowsite as a resource to gather hunting or financial information.

I have some financial advice for you, take some guys turkey hunting and start an outfitting business. As successful as you are at killing Alabama turkeys, there are people willing to pay for the opportunity that you can give them to kill a bird.

02-Nov-14

ahunter55's embedded Photo
I found the way. I served 8 years military right out of school(3 branches). Then went to work in a hot, dirty steelmill for 32 years + ran Archery shop/lanes nearly 20 of those years with the help of a manager & part time help. Lots of hours for sure. family came 1st for any vacation, then me. DIY Bowhunts for about 40 years but LOTs of them. Then, a few guided (all but 2 required by law). Then, since I could not justify the cost of hunting Exotics in their native country, opted for HF (1200 acres through 4000) after over a year of researching places. Since then I've enjoyed about 10 + taking a Bowhunting Daughter, Son & G=son on one each at my expense. Yes, we know exactky what it is & unless you've experienced a 1000 acre or more HF Bowhunt & half the DIY Bowhunts I've been fortunate to experience, I don't want to hear it. Like I said, almost ALL my Bowhunts are DIY & PUBLIC land. I did my 1st Antelope bowhunt at age 68, walk in, public land & tent camped for 9 days, Yes, I got one. Oh, I was VERY active in organized archery for many years so penned several articles for newspapers ect then landed a column (archery/bowhunting)for a state wide distributed sports newspaper. Then I penned a few bowhunting articles for National Magazines & wow, a few were accepted & some were not. Yes, lots of photos. Still, I'm a poor but blessed man, now retired. I attribute my journey & success in having faith in the man upstairs. He always provides "just" enough.

02-Nov-14
There is kind of a parallel in the work force as to what I am getting at...we-those of us who are blessed with the ability to figure stuff out right procedures and then the hire folks who should be on the back of garbage trucks for operators.

02-Nov-14
Whaaaa...??????

02-Nov-14
We invented electricity and tied it to a litebulb and now are being put on the same level as a 6 year old who flips the lite switch.

The same information and technology was there for both...one just put a little more into it to get it to show itself.

03-Nov-14
Dead on TBM. It all went to shit when humans invented language and could share knowledge. Oh the good old days of figuring out on your own how to kill something with a rock or which plants will kill you.

To answer your original question, you only need one kidney.

03-Nov-14
Sell to the local blood and sperm banks! Find a HOT "Cougar" like Nancy Pelosi to help fund your travels! and, don't forget to VOTE this Tuesday. Your future hunting Rights and Trips may depend on the outcome.

Sell drugs and pizza and donuts and be a contractor and start a web site and etc, .... well it will all work out for you!

Money is not that important and hunting can be done "cheap" or expensive and it can be done "Easy Way" or the hard way ... both will get you the same results IF You Apply Yourself!

Fred Bear once said: "everyone can hunt the poor mans trophy.... the whitetail deer" ... (you can also throw Turkey now into that mix.) Education is way over rated also (jmho) and it boils down to just a bunch of paper to hang on your wall. MOUNTS look way better !!! European Mounts too are much cheaper and can be done by YOU (saving a bunch in taxi fees) .....

03-Nov-14
Coming on this site only costs you money. I was once happy with just deer hunting until I came on here. The solution was to work on side jobs after regular work to make money for hunting and new gear. It's actually a quite easy concept. The more hours you work the more money you make. I believe in paying my taxes on my regular 40-60 hour a week job. Work I do after that is cash.

03-Nov-14
Move out of Alabama. In a state where the human population admits that the avian population is of higher intelligence you don't stand much of a chance. If you do manage to beat the odds and obtain some wealth, the turkeys while just trick you and take it from you.

03-Nov-14
How old are you Steve? Adults who have money problems always have money problems. I have a friend who is always broke. If someone gave him a million dollars he'd be broke again in a year. He can't take care of money. If what you are doing isn't working you have to find something that does. That requires change, which most people avoid at all costs.

No one is going to be able to tell you how to do it. You're going to have to figure it out on your own. I doubt you will. Prove me wrong. Again. Good luck. If you figure it out, tell me. :)

03-Nov-14
Here's the link to Jake's "Find a Way" thread.

03-Nov-14
o God... TBM donating to a sperm bank....noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-Nov-14
"There is kind of a parallel in the work force as to what I am getting at...we-those of us who are blessed with the ability to figure stuff out right procedures and then the hire folks who should be on the back of garbage trucks for operators."

When I was in college there was a man who owned a bowling alley, restaurant, liquor store, laundry mat and several real estate holdings. He died a millionaire plus- he started his work career working on the back of a garbage truck. Proved to be a good starting point for him- he was willing to work and desired success.

03-Nov-14
Well you could take the route I happened upon. Befriend some better off folks in AK that have properties, knowledge, leases, perhaps a plane etc. I will take my first BlackBear by sharpstick this up coming Spring. Im very poor. Did work for a friend and he'll take me out. All I paid for was licensing and equipment. Best of luck!

03-Nov-14
Hunting a water hole this afternoon! Feeling very wealthy today! Everyday is Saturday! Spend less than you earn for 30 years and you're able to retire!!

PS: In Illinois the corn was just combined a quarter mile away and the big boys are with their first doe! Me thinks they may need a drink:)

03-Nov-14
Good luck Charlie. You're a wealthy man, rich in perspective.

03-Nov-14
To start with learn to use Spell Check

03-Nov-14
Work hard, work smart, learn to spell...you're almost there TBM!!

03-Nov-14
I shoulda learned .... to play the guitar

I shoulda learned.... to play them drums

03-Nov-14
Maybe get a blister on your little finger.

Maybe get a blister in your thumb.

03-Nov-14
As for me: I may have already won a million dollars!

So I got that going for me ... Which is nice.

03-Nov-14
I wish I had the knowledge to create apps...hunting apps. I have the hunting knowledge but font know how to create the app. Take Charlie hunting water. This is too close to the rut to focus on water. It's funnel time. The same funnel they might use to come to water might be the same one he uses to chase does or just cruise from one area to the next. Now if the water creates a funnel that's one thing..but hunting water and waiting for a buck to get a drink is not something I would advise on my app.

03-Nov-14
I think it's Charlie's first time hunting deer...give him a break.

03-Nov-14
I hope Charlie gets a buck and doesn't get wet. He seems like a nice guy. I hope you get rich TBM, but like a lot of things, it's probably over rated.

03-Nov-14
see TBM instead of wishing you had the knowledge you should go get it....I bet a lot of well to do people weren't born with the knowledge of what it took them to make money, but instead of just wishing, they took the bull by the horns and went out and got it.

03-Nov-14
"TBM, your last post is right on. You came on the Bowsite, learned as much as you could from elk hunting experts, watched media to learn to call, got tips from PMs on here about where to hunt, managed somehow to get a fatal arrow into a gullible young "jake" bull, and now act like you're the second coming of Danny Moore. Nothing wrong with that, but you are a classic product of the information age."

Rather a far stretch from DIY......

03-Nov-14
Most people who become wealthy did it while trying to do something else. In other words, don't try to build wealth, build a business. Don't try to get rich, try to do something well, and maybe, just maybe, you'll get wealthy along the way. Wealth is usually a by product, not the ultimate goal.

All of the advice here is well worth following. Work hard, Live beneath your means. Serve a need, serve it well. Focus on the customer, don't fake being genuine, BE genuine. Don't just act like you care, CARE.

Ideas are cheap TBM, and the opportunity of a lifetime comes by every year or so. Recognize it, be bold, go for it. Don't always try to get paid, attempt to solve a need, the money will come. You may not realize it, but the advice offered to you here (for FREE may I add) can make anyone wealthy.

VERY few will follow it, and most will continue to do what they have always done, and complain about their lot in life. Be different. Or just go on being yourself and keep lamenting your lack of fame and fortune.

In addition to everything you have seen offered up here, I'll add one more thing that successful people have. They possess the ability to postpone gratification. Master that, and you're on your way.

03-Nov-14
what's the old saying? "put your wishes in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which fills up faster"...you can't wish for things, YOU gotta make them happen.

03-Nov-14
2 Minute Abs DVD ! At 3 minutes the average person says screw this and grabs another beer... just sayin'

03-Nov-14
Good luck, Charlie!

"Every day is Saturday" for me now, too, partly thanks to you and your example.

I still remember the brief financial/retirement/life advice you offered me for free in that hotel elevator in Rochester. Took it to heart and figured out a way to make it work.

I'm out here in camp in big muley country. Season opens up Wednesday. Right now I'm doing three half-days of cowboying, and in return will get the whole season of bowhunting all to myself, on 24,000 acres. Hunts on surrounding leases go for $6K per week per hunter. If I figure 18 hours equates to about $54K of hunting opportunity, it works out to $3,000 per hour to ride an ATV around on the prairie and push some cows.

Pretty good part-time wage for a retired guy. :)

04-Nov-14
cow manure brings good prices at garden centers, perhaps invest in a bagger?

04-Nov-14
Completing charm school did wonders for me:)

04-Nov-14
I can't believe Sito is the only one to offer up $100. I'd throw in the same if only there was a way to guarantee TBM would never be allowed to post again on Bowsite. Unfortunately the only guarantees in life are death and taxes....and wasting time on a TBM thread.

04-Nov-14
I can see it now. You could start your own line of TBM certified gear. Calls, arrows, briadheads, boots, food plot seed, the list is endless. With the fan base developed on BS you should be a rich man overnight.

04-Nov-14
TBM,

Charm school is not an option for you. Those places have standards too. (Don't ask how I know) :(

I am thinking you best quick shot, other than lotto, is to find out how much you can get to abandon BS for life. I see a quick 1000 in your future. Might be even more. Could be worse, I was not paid at all last time I left. :)

04-Nov-14
I've already got a plan to get off this site...or gain the respect of all here. Got to do with bowhunting turkey and I need volunteers. Would love the volunteers to be haters where I can rub their nose in it all year because I have a feeling I sing going anywhere... southern turkeys to be exact.

04-Nov-14
I work a week at a 25,000 acre cattle ranch in exchange for hunting. There's a lot of opportunities out there if someone just takes the initiative. Go to a feed store and hang out and ask if anyone would be interested in a work hunt exchange. Too many people just want to hunt in someone's property and not work for it. Building friendships with ranch hands pays off too. The first people I talk to are the cowboys on the ranch. They are a wealth of animal information. I'd loose the online persona though. BS just doesn't work well with real folks out west.

04-Nov-14
If bull sh!t were nickles you'd be rich. You just need to figure out the conversion.

04-Nov-14
TBM,

The gaining respect thing is not going to happen.

04-Nov-14
After that, I'm in for a $100! David

04-Nov-14
Well TBM, as for paying for advice, I think your Bowhunters Beards and Spurs club proved that people are not going to pay for advice... How many members did you get?

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=789268

As for articles - Well even when you do get published you piss and moan because someone else's record book deer appeared earlier in the magazine than your 6 bearded turkey. and I quote "Anyone remember this? My #2 in the world gobbler overshadowed by the Mike's buck...I was hunting this particular gobbler...he was hunting a doe. Story of my life." (Check your own facebook page for this)

And your quote "where I can rub their nose in it all year" well - that isn't going to gain you any respect, so you might as well just get off bowsite.

04-Nov-14
TBM quote.............."I've already got a plan to get off this site...or gain the respect of all here. Got to do with bowhunting turkey and I need volunteers. Would love the volunteers to be haters where I can rub their nose in it all year because I have a feeling I sing going anywhere... southern turkeys to be exact."

WOW.......... Just WOW!!!!!! You can FORGET about gaining respect after a comment like that.

04-Nov-14
You can make some good money working the crab boats in Alaska. It is risky, back breaking work....that is why it pays so well....but the season is short and you can make some good money rather quickly.....

04-Nov-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
In order to rub someone's nose in something they have to actually care about what they did. Anyone out there care? Here's TBM reading his fan list.

04-Nov-14
Man alive this guy can fire up some of you guys pretty easily! Love it.

04-Nov-14
"Lesson one. If your parents are poor, that's your bad luck. But if your in-laws are poor that's your stupidity."

True! ...so I married a doctor :)

05-Nov-14
TBM this is one of the more foolish threads you have posted-you have been offered oportunity!!!You passed so truely you dont need to make more money just more friends!Just like your youtube videos this is all about self promotion and being in the limelight perhaps some envy as well.To get airtime one would first have to be less abrassive and less about yorself at least appear that way.Stop rubbing peoples sore spots and gain some personal relations skills and im sure TBM would do much better,truth seems that wont happen!

05-Nov-14
HockeyDad, I was wondering about the member enrollment of the BBSC as well. If enrollment is high, TBM may be on to something, if low well maybe not.

DJ

05-Nov-14
SS - The Link was from 2008 referencing a "press release" from 2007. It pretty much looks like it folded about the same time it started. Not much information at all about it on the internet - and it leaves a pretty good history.

05-Nov-14
Ok...so with a couple of PM's we've got $500...that's like $2.5bil on the "Alabama scale" right? Want to rub your face in some "Benjamins" Steve?

05-Nov-14
Kyle...I will add $100 to the kitty! TBM...think of all the Simmons you could buy with all that cash!

05-Nov-14
Even if TBM was the best of the best at well pretty much everything as he proclaims,declareing it yourself is a huge mistake.TBM wont take the cash hes been offered alot more in the past and ego prevented him from cashing in.Burns bridges faster than they can be built!

05-Nov-14
I just can't help but wonder if getting information from other hunters and non hunters(which is far easier today than in years past) is the primary means for success by most hunters. I see so many posed with animals mist of us will not be able to hunt and find out they have only been bowhunting for just a few years and found out of bowsite where and how to hunt. It just seems like too much too fast ..opportunities that hard core bowhunters should have before some wealthy person who just started bowhunting. It would be nice if we had qualifiers before we move up...squirrel before deer...deer before turkey...turkey before elk...elk before mountain goats. Make people be too notch before they hunt something great. Truth is they probabaly don't care as much as someone who got it the hard way.

Kind of like watching the masters at Augusta verses celebrity golf.

05-Nov-14
Identify your individual talent that everyone of us possesses and your shortcomings. Set a goal, make a plan, seek all advice which you can possibly sort through that may be useful. The most important is the management of time, your resources and your determination. Remember that TIME is a resource that can not be replaced or replenished unlike money or ideas. There are plateau's of success just as in happiness. One begets the other but you must determine which begets which. That is the key.

The Rock

05-Nov-14
Turkey before squirrel for sure.

05-Nov-14
There is an odor permeating here- smells like jealousy of other hunters opportunities and success.

Reminds me a lot of people who have been on the job for 10 years with a high school diploma and the kid that is hired as a management trainee right out of college with zero work experience. Generally, the 10 year employee is jealous of the college kid because the college kid's starting salary is higher than the 10 year employee. then, in about a year, the management trainee is the 10 yr. employee's boss and the jealousy of the 10-year employee just continues to grow.

The college kid continues to progress in the career ladder and the 10-year employee just increases in employment longevity.

Seen this a lot in my work career.

05-Nov-14
Man alive this guy can fire up some of you guys pretty easily! Love it.

Nick, I get the best laugh out of the way they can't help from coming back to bitch some more.

05-Nov-14
Nice parallel buffaloser...see the same thing. Those college engineers come in and don't know anything but how to weasel out their way up. The ask us just enough questions to get them by and if we like them we give accurate info and if not we feed them garbage and they make idiots of themselves while we laugh our tails off. We make em or break em...Kind if like rich hunters seeking info. Perfect parallel buffaloser.. thanks

05-Nov-14
....and yet they get advancements and paid more than you....which is what the purpose of this thread originally was.....so now who's laughing their tail off?

05-Nov-14
TBM,

I apologize for my poor communicating- have difficulty dealing with "next level" thinking.

Those college boys will the hunters going on those high $$$$, high fence hunts and you will still be lamenting your hunting situation.

They learn fast, learn how to acquire and disseminate useful info vs BS and expand their hunting experiences and adventures. You'll still be entertaining people posting bottles of piss on a hunting website.

06-Nov-14
Dang those "Rich" hunters that donate 10s of millions every year to those thousands of hunting organizations like RMEF, WSF, NWTF. Who needs um to contribute to state legislators campaign funds to insure in some states that hunting rights will be forever? Bunch of losers.

06-Nov-14
If you quit scratching the itch will go away! David

06-Nov-14
I know David...and I keep promising I won't scratch, but......

"we feed them garbage and they make idiots of themselves while we laugh our tails off. We make em or break em..."

That's how you treat young people when given the opportunity? What a vile human you are....

Are you really still trying to figure out why you are where you are in life? Do you not have a mirror? Your answer is there...

06-Nov-14
That's just the ones that show up and act like they know it all. The ones that are respectful and show a little humility we help them.

06-Nov-14
TBM, I may have missed it in one of the hundreds of threads, but what is it that you do for a living? Besides hunt turkeys?

06-Nov-14
How much must one have to be considered rich?

06-Nov-14
SteveB - Good family, good friends, some drive and a good attitude.

I may not be wealthy, but I'm definitely rich. I'll get the bills sorted out. In the words of Ralph Covert, "You better get a bigger gun, 'cause I'm not dead yet!"

Another 33 hours and I'll be hunting again.

07-Nov-14
WOW.........just WOW!

07-Nov-14
Ever see a bull with a ring in his nose? Don't be a bull with a ring in his nose and get lead down a path by threads such as this.

07-Nov-14
I'm a papermaker. Towel and tissue. A lot like hunting in the fact that it is challenging and rewarding... Lots of trouble shooting and you have to be able to anticipate. Worked with a lot of good folks. The best workers come off of farms and out of the logging woods. Good hunters make great workers if they hunt solo they can get it done and don't have to be showed a lot.

Like on good ole boy put it "you can train some people but you can't teach em anything. You can throw an Apple at their head and train them to duck, but if you throw an orange you will hit them right between the eyes".

07-Nov-14
Has anyone ever fallen in the paper vat and never been heard from again?

07-Nov-14

gather round my campfire fellas. I've been Bowhunting biggame for over 50 years (started in 1956)& can tell you some secrets. Drop your twenty in the box by the wood pile BUT get here quick cause the circle fills fast & the fire only lasts an hour. If you MISS this campfire gathering, I'll have another real soon & if you bring a buddy, you ONLY have to pay 15..

07-Nov-14
Towels and tissues....hmmmm

07-Nov-14
Ok, a papermaker. Good, steady work as long as people keep crapping.

Contact the admin of the highest-level manager in your plant or company. Get a 15 minute appointment. Go in dressed like your management dresses. Use your 15 minutes to sell yourself. Put together a Power Point to lay out five ideas about how to save money and/or improve productivity and how you would implement those changes.

Put your nuts on the line and ask to be put in charge of a" productivity improvement" team that will generate x dollars in savings within a year.

Or else open a pizza place like Tim did.

07-Nov-14

Panhandle Bob's Link
Business opportunity...

http://www.wellsfishpondsandhunting.com/this-business-is-for-sale-.html

07-Nov-14
"Has anyone ever fallen in the paper vat and never been heard from again? "

Do you think TBM may catch Monfils' Syndrome?

07-Nov-14
Read "Walden" and recalibrate.

07-Nov-14
Jaquomo, great advice for anyone. I told all my kids that no matter where you are working always give it 100%. You never know who's watching and might want to hire you. I got several jobs in life by doing that. Not looking for a job and someone approaches me about wanting to hire me. The last one lasted 26 years. My son was working at Home Depot and a man he was helping with a large order was impressed with him. Offered him a job right there that started out at 70g and he's now making six figures. That's a result of treating customers with respect and going out of your way to be helpful.

08-Nov-14
Don't know a lot about making money but I've sure learned a thing or two about saving it.

For starters:

Don't drink. Don't smoke. Don't go to nudey bars.

Don't buy the latest greatest hunting gadgets. Take good care of your stuff and make it last so you don't have to buy new as often.

Think real hard about hunting leases and outfitters and such. Some of the best hunting opportunities are right under your nose and don't cost that much. You might be surprised to learn that many record book trophies didn't come off leases or guided hunts. And in the end theres something very rewarding about doing things for ones self.

That's my thoughts on the subject anyway :)

08-Nov-14
No dought some good tips on making and saving money...but the drift of what I was getting at is a little off and has been off for the entire thread. Getting out and scouting for other hunters or giving out gps coordanances of trophys is more that just advice...that is more than help...that's the equivalent of a rich man giving you his dibit card and pin number. Next time somebody ask for that kind of info ask him for his routing number on his bank account and see what he says. I think we already know ..here's is a quote. "None Yo Bizness!"

08-Nov-14
Maybe you should be sending out cases of toilet paper to those that have given you information.

08-Nov-14
TBM, your first post in the thread asked this question: "tell us how to make money so we can go on these hunts."

So not sure where the thread went off-course. People are legitimately trying to help you with ideas on how to make money so you can go on those hunts.

Now to your premise in the last post: Didn't you get PM advice from some other bowsiters on where to focus your elk hunting this year? You certainly didn't just drive to Montana, stop your truck, get out, and walk into the woods. You didn't scout one day before your hunt. And you sucked-up as much knowledge as possible from experienced elk hunters like Dan Moore and others, plus everything you could learn from videos made by others. Didn't you ask hundreds of detailed questions about elk hunting strategy in the various threads?

If you'd posted this opinion prior to your elk hunt, I think many would have told you, "None Yo Bizness".

What are you getting at, exactly? That you took a higher road because you weaseled thousands of dollars worth of free advice rather than paying someone for their time and effort?

08-Nov-14
"Getting out and scouting for other hunters or giving out gps coordanances of trophys is more that just advice...that is more than help...that's the equivalent of a rich man giving you his dibit card and pin number."

Huh... did you come up with that on your own or did you actually have a peek at my website?

I have the "PIN" for places with bigger bulls than your last one of you're interested. But I didn't get it for free. But my way of paying for my hunting trips is anything but a get rich quick scheme. Lots of gas money, miles of riding and hiking and time. Lots of time. Only now, years later, is it finally paying off.

Also finding good bulls on public land can be like looking for Bigfoot. I don't think you'll get rich selling turkey hunting plans. Those things are a dime a dozen to locate and most folks can hunt them where they live.

08-Nov-14
Glock and a ski mask Steve, Glock and a ski mask.

08-Nov-14
When you feel like buying sell,when you feel like selling buy.

08-Nov-14
You know, TBM, if I'd written as many words for magazines has you have on Bowsite, I could go on several expensive hunts!

Seriously. It's not uncommon to get 50-cents to $1 per word from some markets. Add up all of your rants and see what that would total.

08-Nov-14
He is stacking a pile of words for sure

But apparently no ones buying!!!??

08-Nov-14
Jaquomo said: "What are you getting at, exactly?"

That is our problem. We want to make sense of it and that just won't happen. We either have to decide to be kept being led down a path and be entertainment for someone, or not, simple as that.

08-Nov-14
This thread is off track because the premise is ill conceived and ignorant of the nature of Bowsite. We can't make sense of it because he is talking about something that does not exist here.

Most anyone who has been around long enough for me to recognize as a regular has helped me, directly or indirectly in openly and unselfishly sharing experience. Folks here aid commensurate with their experience. This includes the well-heeled bowhunters equally.

09-Nov-14
A person just can't "Baffle People With Bullshit" Forever!!!!! David

09-Nov-14
Years ago when I worked in a large sawmill I blew an opportunity to start my own company and make BIG money.

I met dozens of long term lumber pile'rs and floor sweepers who knew how to run the company way better than any of the educated management.

I could have placed all those guys in CEO positions in huge multi-national companies and made a fortune on the head hunter fees.

Sad to think that nearly all that talent has still likely not been discovered.

09-Nov-14
LOL Ambush!!

09-Nov-14
"You certainly didn't just drive to Montana, stop your truck, get out, and walk into the woods. You didn't scout one day before your hunt"

Well, in all honesty that is exactly what I ended up doing. I didn't exactly start out that way, but ended up finding elk on a 2 hour scouting mission in an area that fit the low pressure profile I learned from turkey hunting.

"And you sucked-up as much knowledge as possible from experienced elk hunters like Dan Moore and others, plus everything you could learn from videos made by others. Didn't you ask hundreds of detailed questions about elk hunting strategy in the various threads?"

That is true...however I didn't use much of any of it. The fact is I have been learning from magazines for years, but that doesn't mean I used any of the knowledge I gained from such readings. Nick Saban didn't use the wishbone to beat LSU, but I bet he knows how to use it...he could if he thought it would work

I just wanted to use the turkey tactics that I've learned and apply them to elk. Not just turkey calls, like someone mentioned Wayne Carlton used...but the turkey hunting tactics. I've. Been told I would not have ANY trouble killing elk from my turkey hunting friends who have elk experience, so I took them at their work. I didn't use decoy hats, umbrellas with elk pics, or any of the moderen tricks...I wanted an authentic hunt like Fred Bear and all the greats before me. Next time I might use some of the tricks...but I just didn't want that on my first hunt

I have the "PIN" for places with bigger bulls than your last one of you're interested. But I didn't get it for free. But my way of paying for my hunting trips is anything but a get rich quick scheme. Lots of gas money, miles of riding and hiking and time. Lots of time. Only now, years later, is it finally paying off.

09-Nov-14
Mule Power most definitely supply as much support as he could under the circumstances, but without a GPS I just couldn't find the good spot he was trying to put me on. His service is about the most I would want from a guide....a point in the right direction is a time saver. Best I got it figured it will take an average guy 3 days to find something half way decent....even more if the weather is as bad as it was when I arrived. For the average money man three days could mean $1500 to $3000 dollars in time...that a not counting the energy you would save.

09-Nov-14
TBM, I used to think you were the cleverest of trolls. But now I'm leaning hard towards thinking that you really are just as you portray yourself.

Very ironic that you make toilet paper, given all the crap surrounding you.

Post up a pic of the 214 beards and spurs you have collected. And you must have a garage wall covered with deer racks with shooting "more than the top ten Bowsiter's combined". Post a pic of that wall with the elk rack in the middle.

Post some pictures and "rub my nose in it".

09-Nov-14
I wouldn't consider decoy hats to be a modern trick, seeing as how Ishi taught it to Saxton Pope at the turn of the last century.

I was one of the first to congratulate you on killing a bull. I was happy for you and predicted it after all the help you were given. But your arrogance about the "accomplishment" of taking a naive, immature bull with all of the incredibly valuable knowledge others shared with you (by whatever media), information given for free, is really diminishing whatever minor stature you managed to achieve with some. At least you finally gave some props to Mule Power for everything he gave you at no charge. Good on you for that.

09-Nov-14
Yes, although not on bowsite but Dave from Simmons told me about an area he knew near the sulpher springs area. I went to sulpher springs in search. I found 4 mountain ranges in that area that probably averaged 300 square miles each, so I had the elk narrowed down to 1200 square miles when I arrived...all covered in fresh snow and it snowed for another day. After trying what I guessed to be the area MP advised I called Dave back and he narrowed it down to about 300 square miles.

I remembered what city hunter said...burn boot leather and I couldn't wait until all the snow was over where I could do just that. I tried the area I found and the rest is history. Advise is made to be taken or ignored...ignored the primary advice...don't call or leave your elk calls in Alabama and I went after it, using tactics that make calls sound more realistic that I know from calling turkeys. Called a couple up too. It was a blast.

Nobody tipped me off to a particular drainage except IWA and his was in Idaho....I never made it over.

Sorry if the truth hurts...I don't mean it too. Really.

09-Nov-14
As Obama would say, " you didn't find that place- somebody else told you about it."

Other hunters were kind enough to help you and I am yet to hear you express any appreciation for their help. You threw everyone under the bus so the spotlight would shine only on you. And that's the truth !!

09-Nov-14
TBM. The Alabama "Rowdy Dowdy"! Just without the photo-shop skills.

Serving up himself as the "side of awesome".

09-Nov-14
What buff said is not true!!...and it really is possible to drive across the country and get out and hunt. I do it all the time. It works for everything I've ever hunted. The pattern I follow is a simple one. When I arrive I scout and cover as much ground as possible. Most of the time I scout without a bow where I can cover ground. For some animals a day of scouting will yield enough good spots to hunt for 5 days...other animals require covering more ground and more scouting to hunting ratio. Hunt the best places I find. It works.

Knowing what to do and how to do it is rewarding to me.

The guy who inspired this thread took up bowhunting 6 years ago...found bowsite and bowsite found him great places to hunt and helped him greatly. Without bowsite he wouldn't have advanced as far as fast. That's good and bad. I don't think he can appreciate how hard it is and how much work it takes to learn yourself and diy. Lock n key will get you a house quicker and it will look just as nice...but you will not have a clue what's behind the sheetrock or how to build one yourself.

09-Nov-14
The topic brought to mind a good friend that is in the trades. He found a legal way to make around $20,000 in his spare time so he could go hunting out of state. He spends months now hunting instead of a week or two. I'm sure if I posted his name here there's people that would recognize it from TV and Other media that he's been on. He's figured out how to make what I call easy and fun money.

10-Nov-14
TBM,

I will concede that without knowing anyone else that claims they are as good as you, that you are the best Hunter, ever!

This has not made you wealthy, or happy.

While up at the cabin this weekend, with the same guys I always hunt with, BS came up, and the TBM character. And the people who always defend his stirring things up. To that, we all agreed that busting chops comes with the territory, but when it counts none of us have to be told where the line you don't cross is.

Busting chops would go something like this...TBM, we all make more money than you and we are happy;) and comfortable in our own skin without caring what anyone else thinks!.

Go back to that misspelling redneck character. We all loved that.

10-Nov-14
Frank,

Agree except the last line.

10-Nov-14
Boy this has been a hard thread to keep on track. Yhinkbof it like this....we all know(all of us who know) somebody we have taken and placed at a hot spot(for fish or game)and every time we pass by the area they are back there on their own hunting the spot we showed them long after the hot has left the spot. What can a person like that do in return favor??? Nothing aside from paying for us a guided hunt because they can't help us on their own.

I just wonder if anybody has shared knowledge and come to regret it? Of course a lot of the knowledge shared on here is which guide is best and which ones to avoid. Good Info for a few, but I assume the large majority of us hunt public ground. It's always bad to see 4 rigs parked in a spot you shared with one person.

10-Nov-14
We have all shared information, and at times regretted it. But most keep doing it because that is what makes us decent. And I think most believe in something like karma-doing good will come back to you. I think it did for you as well. Whether or not you took all of the advice about elk hunting, or any at all, you still received it.

10-Nov-14
"The guy who inspired this thread took up bowhunting 6 years ago...found bowsite and bowsite found him great places to hunt and helped him greatly. Without bowsite he wouldn't have advanced as far as fast. That's good and bad. I don't think he can appreciate how hard it is and how much work it takes to learn yourself and diy."

We folks here is the real kernel of the nut. It all boils down to jealousy, envy and unfairness. TBM has busted his butt, done all the right things, tried to be a self-proclaim best hunter ever and he has not gotten all "candy" he thinks he deserves. Now his buddy on the other hand, found the "candy jar" and has been enjoying the candy all along for six years. If proves that life just ain't fair and TBM/Steve/or who ever he is is having serious issues dealing with the situation.

TBM/Steve or whoever you are- life hasn't been fair and sadly it's not guaranteed to be fair. Enjoy what you have been given and rejoice when others are successful. Give others credit that have helped you along the way. The solution to your problem is not money- money will not bring you happiness. Your problem is attitude and outlook on life.

I truly think you will be a much happier hunter and more importantly, a person, if will have a change in attitude. Start looking out the window, rather than in a mirror. You may even find that what Habitat for Wildlife said may be true- you may even become comfortable in your own skin. Otherwise, you will be a soured, miserable person the rest of your life.

I have just shared the truth with you. The question is can you handle the truth?

11-Nov-14
I think I figured out the problem of why you're not rich yet.

Perhaps your Next Level thinking has you too far ahead of your time. Mere mortals like us are incapable of appreciating the enormity of your intellect and hunting prowess. It's all about perfect timing. Being too far ahead of the pack is every bit as much of a problem as being a day late and a dollar short.

As a client once told me: "An alternate definition of Pioneer, is the guy dead on the trail with arrows in his back."

12-Nov-14
There is no elevator to becoming wealthy. You have to take the stairs.

Same goes for gaining respect. But look out for that first step because it takes integrity to get started.

You're welcome for the Clip-Shot. I often wonder if it ever showed up in the mail???

• Sitka Gear