HPO 23-Nov-14
SB 25-Nov-14
carcus 25-Nov-14
The Yode 25-Nov-14
dave kaden 26-Nov-14
Bentstick81 27-Nov-14
sureshot 28-Nov-14
16-Nov-14
I am trying a release with my compound. I'm a fingers release shooter. This question might have been asked before, but, i am having a heck of a time trying to shoot a release with the heavier face mask for the cold, and trying to use a glove on release hand. Can't really feel my knuckle behind my jaw bone. How do you guys, and what do you use or do when using a release in winter time. Probably a dumb question, but I'm having trouble. Thanks

16-Nov-14
I can not shoot with face mask. I like a neck gater . I can pull it up for warmth or ease it down to take a shot . For gloves I like my Under Armour glove liners ,they are very thin so I can still shoot . These gloves are not very warm so my hands stay in my front sweat shirt pocket with hand warmers if cold. I always like my bow hanging on hook where I can pick up easy . Hanging on to bow makes my hands colder if cold at all.

16-Nov-14
I use a thin face mask and a stocking cap, the hand I use to hold my bow has a thicker warmer glove and the hand I use with my release I use fingerless gloves. This helps me feel where my anchor point is and the trigger on the release. If it gets to cold I put my release hand in my jacket pocket. I spot and stalk, and ground blind hunt so I always like keeping my hand on my bow ready to go.

16-Nov-14
Do you guys use a kisser button, or just anchor behind your jaw bone?

16-Nov-14
I use a kisser button. Works with or without a mask as long as I can feel it at the corner of my mouth. That said, it's not as cold here as it is " up North " and I can only wear the net face masks. Any other kind and my specs fog up. As far as gloves go, I shoot with any glove , just feels different, but I squeeze until it goes.

16-Nov-14
No kisser button

16-Nov-14
Tip of my nose touches string, thumb on back of neck and line my peep site perfect with site and check my level.

16-Nov-14
I got rid of kisser button . I didn't want to but my buddy talked me into trying no kisser button and I never went back glad I got rid of kisser button !

17-Nov-14
Thumb behind neck??? Might want to shorten your draw. Guarantee you will shoot more consistently. Just a suggestion.

17-Nov-14
thumb actually locks behind jaw not neck. sorry

17-Nov-14
No kisser button

17-Nov-14
Well, I was told that i didn't need a peep. They said that peep's are hard to see through in low light conditions. All I have on the string is a kisser button.

17-Nov-14
Get a big peep and use your sight bracket in the circle of it for consistant form and works in legal light.

Kisser button only doesn't give you a visual reference for proper form and gives you a possible change in anchor on downward shots.

Kissers seem to simplify but actually peeps are simlpler and give you a check/balance so parrallax doesn't creep in to produce an inaccurate shot

17-Nov-14
Loose the kisser and get a 1/4" peep. If you can't get enough light through a 1/4" peep, then your too far away from the string with your eye.

17-Nov-14
Loose the kisser and get a 1/4" peep. If you can't get enough light through a 1/4" peep, then your too far away from the string with your eye.

18-Nov-14
Get the peep as recommended.

18-Nov-14
I switched from peep to kisser 25 yrs ago and never looked back.

I use a face mask with the mouth and chin cut out...never had an issue.

But it all boils down to what feels best to YOU.

23-Nov-14
I haven't used a peep in years, just the kisser and a consistent anchor point. I lost a good chance at a buck when a peep didn't turn, and it turned me off to peeps.

Silly me, 3" groups at 40 yards, with broadheads.

I often use a muff, to keep my release hand in and warm so it doesn't have to be within a heavy glove. At most, a jersey glove.

Another plus for the neck gator is that you can slide it down in a split-second if a shot may be coming.

Like someone else said, it's what feels best to you.

Have fun figuring it out!

23-Nov-14
I use peep, kisser, and the IQ bow site with retina lock (like the Anchor Point). I use all the help I can.

25-Nov-14
Just stick with fingers. Works for Chucky!

25-Nov-14
I didn't use a peep for my first 25 years of archery/bowhunting, but 2 years ago I got a pse evo 7 and I had to install a peep as the string blocked my pins, so I had to look through the center of the string to see my pins, so I installed a large 1/4" peep, a peep this size is not affected in low light. The evo is long gone and the 5 bows I've owned since have all had peep installed

25-Nov-14
Stick with a release on a compound. I have seen the result of a finger-shooter slipping the string off a cam at full draw - can you say "dry fire"? You can shoot it a 1000 times with no trouble, but it only takes once to ruin your day!

26-Nov-14
I made the switch from 30 year + finger shooter to release last year. I find I like the spot hog whipper snapper thumb release as holding it and drawing,and the hand position anchor is sort of similar to finger feel. more so than trigger release. I practice in gloves cause I use gloves in my winter hunts. Getting old now(62) and my circulation isnt what is was and I can shoot just as well in snug gloves

27-Nov-14
I will have to check that out Dave.

28-Nov-14
I wear a thin UA coldgear mask and stocking cap with no problems, my face never gets cold. I use a kisser and 1/4" peep.

• Sitka Gear