Ace 29-Dec-14
elmer@laptop 29-Dec-14
elmer@laptop 08-Jan-15
SteveB 08-Jan-15
drycreek 08-Jan-15
Bou'bound 09-Jan-15
17-Nov-14
Guys/Gals:

I spoke with Elmer via email regarding his dad's cancer and his desire to visit him (see Elmer's original thread if you're not familiar with the situation).

I will not get into details, but Elmer is tight on funds and travel from Alaska to fly he and his family home to see his dad is costly.

I have offered to help him raise some funds to help with his travel.

Pat, please let me know if this offer is not allowed and if so, pull the thread.

Many of you may recognize me as a longtime member of Bowsite. I have a business related to all things bowhunting (Sitka Gear, all Bowhunting Accessories, Havalon Knives, etc.), but am not a sponsor of Bowsite as we are simply too small to afford the advertising. I play by the rules and don't advertise. Should this thread blow up and turn into an advertising campaign, I will be straight up with Pat and become a sponsor.

I am offering to help Elmer by donating all profits from sales that are associated with his plight to he and his family.

Please feel free to contact me via PM or email [email protected]; just reference Elmer.

Now's the time to gear up for Christmas and help Elmer out at the same time. Anything you need we'll offer 5% off for you AND donate the profits to Elmer. If you want to pay full retail, we'll donate that 5% to Elmer also.

Thanks and God Bless,

Carl ACE www.aceoutdooressentials.com

17-Nov-14
Great idea, happy to help out.

Have you considered setting up, or do you already have a Paypal account? That would make it super easy to contribute.

We Bow Brothers stick together in tough times.

17-Nov-14
Good on you Carl! I purchased from Carl twice through the years with great service. I'll take a look and see what I may need.

17-Nov-14
Very good idea. PayPal would be a good idea Where does Elmer need to fly to and where in Alaska does he fly out of. Maybe someone has some airline miles they could donate

17-Nov-14
All, thanks for support!

Business wise, we do accept Paypal.

For flat out donations, it may make more sense to contact Elmer directly.

If we can help with gear, PP or check (we're too small to be set up for credit card).

Elmer will probably chime in, but he needs to fly out of Anchorage, AK and get to Vermont - long trip and not cheap.

Airline mile donations are GREAT idea, although I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Carl

17-Nov-14
I'm in...will contact Elmer. Great idea Carl.

Mark

17-Nov-14
not to come across the wrong way, but wouldn't more guys throw a few bucks his way if someone could set up an account for a donation rather then have to spend $100 to get $5 sent his way? I know I would.

17-Nov-14
Like I said, sure go ahead and donate to him directly. I'm not a mastermind for a donation account.

To be clear what I'm offering is for guys who are shopping for gear ANYWAY (you all do, I'm sure).

I'll give you the SHOPPER 5% off as a "thank you" and donate the difference between Dealer Cost & Retail (less the 5% incentive) to Elmer.

If someone tells me they don't need/want the discount, then Elmer gets that 5% too.

I don't have a bank account to get him on a plane, but I surely can pass along any profits from this offer to help Elmer. I'm not making a dime on anything sold through this thread.

Don't tell me I'm being cheesy here. You're going to shop for yourself or others for Christmas. Get 5% off sale: good deal for you. And roughly 35% will end up going to Elmer: good deal for him. Win-win, or so I thought.

Hope that comes across clearly?!

We have a lot of other guys on the Bowsite that could do something similar - consider it a challenge.

God Bless,

Carl

17-Nov-14
I will bite. Someone sets up an account I can directly donate into and I will help as much as I can.

This is a good cause. Perhaps Pat could figure a way for donations to go to him and he then transfers it while you do the product part of the donations?

17-Nov-14
Awesome idea Carl! Let's all do our best to help out a fellow Bowsiter.

17-Nov-14
smarba, it's a good thing you are doing, but I don't need any gear right now. I would like to help Elmer out as I'm sure others would. Opinions on how to do this ? Just PM Elmer and donate ? What say you , Bowsite ?

18-Nov-14
Hi everyone, Elmer here. Thank you for the kind words and efforts to try and help me out. I do not have a PayPal account. Am currently trying to find out how to set one up.

A couple of you have mentioned direct donations. Here is my contact info.

Eric Menck PO box 243983 Anchorage, Ak 99524

907-440-0472 [email protected]

It is a very sad time for me and my family and it is made worse by needing help to get home. It is humbling and embarrassing to need to ask for help. But it is amazing the outreach I am getting.

My dad has inoperable/incurable stage 4 esophageal cancer . Thé Tumor takes up Half thé length of his esophagus. He starts radiation treatment the first of December. It will continue 5. Days a week for the whole month. This is to try and shrink the tumor. They are also going to put a stent in his esophagus in hopes that that will allow him to eat solid/semi solid food again he has been only able to keep liquids down for the last 3 months.

All the treatments are only palliative. Not curative in nature. Docs today say he has 3 months to a year at most left.

The reason for this trip over Christmas is so he can spend time with my 7 year old son. Then as hit time draws to an end we will need to take another trip back. Me and my wife and son live in Anchorage and my mom and dad live in southern Vermont.

I wish we were not in such dire financial need, but due to illnesses of my own I have not been able to work full time for just over 7 years. My family became homeless over this past summer. We now are house sitting till April and possibly longer. Sorry to say that is our situation, and is only compounded by my father's cancer situation.

Thank you to everyone who might be able to help me out, and if you can't, Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

I am humbled and blessed by the Bowsite community.

18-Nov-14
Elmer, Paypal is easy to set up; and it's free to send or receive money from family and friends.

If you link your paypal account to a bank account you'll be able to transfer paypal funds to your bank account to be able to withdraw it.

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way from CT, (along with a bit of financial help). Stay strong bud, hang in there, you're among friends.

18-Nov-14
Just fixed the email listed above.

18-Nov-14
Prayers & fifty bucks sent from Alabama.

God Bless, Andy Cobb

18-Nov-14
Just swapped PMs with Elmer. Done deal.

18-Nov-14
Hey Elmer, if you can swing it, bring along a bow, (or a rifle or shotgun) when you get back to VT. I bet some time outdoors in the Green Mountains will be good for your head.

If anyone has a paypal account, they can help out, just use his email address, [email protected] I think they also ask for the name: Eric Menck

Pretty sure this sort of thing is the best thing about Bowsite.

18-Nov-14
I just set up a PayPal account. What info do you guys need to donate through that?

18-Nov-14
elmer- we just need your Paypal account name.

Jim

18-Nov-14
Your paypal account name should be your email address used to set it up. Make sure and send it as gift. I think there is no commission for him on that end if you send it that way. Let me know that email address and I'll send you a test run donation.

18-Nov-14
Elmer, got your PM. Just let us know what address it is set up under and you should be on your way.

How many tickets do you need?

Rick M

18-Nov-14
Elmer's email address is: [email protected]

18-Nov-14
I'm another guy who is NOT tech-savvy. Is it possible for someone to embed a link that could be clicked on to direct me to the Paypal deal? I could [snail]mail a check, but would prefer Paypal as it is a much faster method of delivery. Thanks to everyone who has rallied around the need of a fellow sportsman!

Today is my Dad's birthday and I am so thankful he lives very close to me and is very healthy. We were hunting together (helping another Bowsiter on his hunt actually) just this past weekend. The thought of enduring the pain of geographic separation during a situation like Elmer and his Dad are working through is nothing short of brutal. I encourage everyone who is able to help out.

I'm not much into organized Religion, but I do believe there's truth in the words, "There but for the grace of God go I."

19-Nov-14
Arctichill, my PayPal account should be listed under my email [email protected].

19-Nov-14
Done

More importantly prayers sent for you & your family Elmer!

19-Nov-14
T-roy x2. Lets get this handled.

19-Nov-14
done

19-Nov-14
Prayers and helping Elmer directly is more than I could have hoped for when I started this thread.

You guys are awesome!

Carl

19-Nov-14
Thanks a bunch to everyone. I appreciate the help more than you will ever know.

19-Nov-14
It would be cool if we could post some type of progress bar. This goal is too important not to reach.

20-Nov-14
Ok.....a progress bar has been mentioned. Here is the scoop. Flights from Anchorage to Hartford are currently $1000 per person. There is my wife, my son and I. 3 people flying. Total costs $3000.

To date: Through PayPal have received $300 Regular mail received $0, but I know there are at least 4 donations on the way.

It may not seem like much, but I am beyond grateful for everything that has been sent my way.

Elmer

20-Nov-14
I'm no good at math, but that looks like about 10% of where we need to be so far. Thanks for the update Elmer. We'll get there!

20-Nov-14

LTG 11's Link
Here is a PayPal link.... You can edit the amount when you sign in.

20-Nov-14
Notice from pay pal via the link says "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" etc...

20-Nov-14
That link didn't work for me either. Anyone can go to www.paypal.com and create an account for free. Then, click the button that says "pay or send money". Then click "Send Money to Friends and Family". Then, enter Elmer's email address [email protected] and the amount you would like to contribute to this very worthy Bowsite brother.

I am very computer illiterate and even I got this thing figured out. It costs me more than $100 bucks to fill my truck with Diesel. If everyone who opens this thread would contribute just a fraction of that amount to this worthy trip we can unite a family during a very difficult time.

Thanksgiving is next week. Give thanks for the opportunity to share a meal with all those family members you'll share a table with. Let's make sure Elmer and his family are able to spend some time with Elmer's Dad this Holiday Season.

20-Nov-14
Money sent. God bless. I am pretty sure Bowsiters can pull this off.

20-Nov-14
Time is of the essence, we gotta keep this thread at the top since tickets only get more expensive the closer it gets to the holidays.

20-Nov-14
ttt

20-Nov-14
Come on BSers. Elmer is a long timer who could use some help!

If everyone gave a dollar we would be there with change to spare.

20-Nov-14
Update....as of 6pm tonight, the total is up to $450 via PayPal and still waiting on 3 or 4 donations that were sent by snail mail.

A heartfelt thanks to everyone.

21-Nov-14
ttt

21-Nov-14
Update as of 7 pm Alaska time donations are now up to $750. It 's an amazing bunch of people out there trying to help me and my family out in a tough situation!

Again, many thanks. Although thanks is not really enough!

22-Nov-14
Come on guys... let's help a brother out!!!

22-Nov-14
Come on guys... let's help a brother out!!!

23-Nov-14
Ttt

23-Nov-14
Money sent via PayPal.

Elmer, I pray the Lord will provide for and strengthen you in your hour of need.

"Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you: He will never allow the righteous to be moved.” Psalms 55:22

23-Nov-14
Check sent. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

23-Nov-14
money sent via paypal hope you have some quality time with your dad.

23-Nov-14
Blessings from Kansas...

23-Nov-14
Ttt

24-Nov-14
Monday morning TTT, don't wait. Let's help a fellow bowhunter in his time of need.

24-Nov-14
Avquick update. Donations are up to just about $900. Still a few donations on the way in the mail.

A big thanks to all who are helping out during a tough time for me and my family!

24-Nov-14
Ttt

24-Nov-14
Good luck getting home. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

Matt

24-Nov-14
Dad just had a stent put in his esophagus today. This hopefully will allow him to eat semi solid and maybe some solid food for the first time in over 3 months. He has lost 35 pounds. Hoping this allows him a couple extra months with us.

25-Nov-14
Talked to my dad today. He had his stent put in his esophagus yesterday, and this evening he ate his first food in 3-1/2 months. 1/2 cup of macaroni and cheese. Yay!

25-Nov-14
That's great news Elmer. I hope that you and your family get there to see him soon.

25-Nov-14
Come on bowsiters! I am sure you have donated to much less worthy causes.

I am surprised at the lack of contributions. I thought we would have Elmer on his way already.

25-Nov-14
Donation update. $980 so far. At least 4 checks are still in the mail. Appreciate all the help so far. We are going to get back home no matter what it takes!

26-Nov-14
Did mine make it yet Elmer ? Good luck to you and prayers for your family.

26-Nov-14
Don. Not as of last Saturday. But, it may be here by now because I have not been able to get to the post office since Saturday due to my son being sick and me not being able to get out of the house since then since I am Mr mom and have had to stay home with him.

Son is doing a little better today, so I might be able to get out and check this afternoon

26-Nov-14
Paypal works. If you have a Paypal account sending to another Paypal account send money to friends and family I don't believe here is a transfer fee.

26-Nov-14
Quick update on donations. Between what came in the mail today and PayPal, total is up to $1400. Only $600 more and we are 2/3 of the way to getting me, my wife and my son back to see my dad!

The bowsite family is incredible.

27-Nov-14
Thanksgiving bump.

Give thanks today for all you have, and let's continue to help Elmer and his family.

27-Nov-14
Happy Thanksgiving to the bowsite family. Your generosity and prayers are the things I am most thankful for today after my family, friends, and the fact that my dad is able to eat some semi solid food again!!

Thanks and blessings to you all!

28-Nov-14
Let's get some Black Friday donations for Elmer & family!!!

Come on guys, if you have not donated yet, today is the perfect day to help a fellow bowhunter in a time of need.

28-Nov-14
TTT guys !

29-Nov-14
Quick update.......still holding at $1400.. many thanks to those who have helped.

Dad starts radiation treatments to try and shrink the tumor on Monday. He has now eaten semi solid food 3 days in a row now that he has the stent in his esophagus.

29-Nov-14

29-Nov-14
Don't know you Elmer but gave you a little bump via paypal, good luck and God bless. Kevin

30-Nov-14
Coming from someone that knows exactly how much cancer sucks, good luck getting back! Checks in the mail, not much but every little bit helps! Take care... Wvarcher

30-Nov-14
Coming from someone that knows exactly how much cancer sucks, good luck getting back! Checks in the mail, not much but every little bit helps! Take care... Wvarcher

01-Dec-14
Quick donations update. Up to $1600. A little bit still in the mail!

Big thanks to everyone!

02-Dec-14
Look back to my post made on November 18th wherein I state that "Today is my Dad's birthday and I am so thankful he lives very close to me and is very healthy. We were hunting together (helping another Bowsiter on his hunt actually) just this past weekend. The thought of enduring the pain of geographic separation during a situation like Elmer and his Dad are working through is nothing short of brutal."

Today is December 1st and my Dad is being monitored by Multiple Doctors and is mostly non-responsive. After numerous tests (Cat Scans, EKG's, MRI's, X-Ray's, Ultrasounds, Etc.) the top doctors in the region are pretty much dumbfounded. They can tell me a hundred things that his condition is "NOT", but nobody knows what he is battling.

As I reported just a couple weeks ago, we were hunting Oryx together. A month prior we were Bivy hunting for elk together in the Aldo Leopold wilderness. My Dad is my hero!

I'm fortunate in that I can see him every day. Lately he may not know who I am or be able to respond to my affection. He did tell me this evening though, that he loved me. It's not that I ever questioned that because, even as a 34 year old man my Dad would tell me that at every opportunity. My Dad and I share a Father/son bond that is as strong as any love on the planet.

When I originally posted on this thread my entire perspective was different. I never would have thought...in a million years...that my 65 year-old-Dad would be a cause of my concern.

As it is, I am optimistic he'll pull through this situation which his doctors believe to be a viral infection in his brain.

The thought of dealing with this from a remote location, without the ability of holding his hand, kissing his cheek and rubbing his head is not fathomable to me.

Elmer needs to get home to see his Dad and we as Bowsite members...as human beings...need to make sure that happens!!

02-Dec-14
Well said Artichill !

03-Dec-14
Thanks for the update elmer your will get there.

04-Dec-14
Bowsiters,

As many of you recognize, life is precious and brief and also complicated. Our perspective can change in an instant! For years now my Dad has been encouraging me to join him in planning an Alaskan Moose hunt. This is one of his "bucket list" items. He has said repeatedly that "I'm not getting any younger." For me, I have been trying to become "debt free". The hunt he wants to go on would cost me at least 10K.

In light of current circumstances, I would borrow every cent of the 10K at a double digit interest rate to be hunting moose in Alaska with my Dad right now. Circumstances have an uncanny ability to change perspectives and goals.

With that said, it's important to understand that our current circumstances do not define our lives. Who we are is much more important and significant than what we are currently challenged with. Even so, our current challenges provide insight into who we are. During the times in our lives that we are heavily challenged, how do we react? During those [fortunate] times in our lives that we are not being overly challenged with major obstacles, how do we help and support those who need assistance?

There has been a tremendous outpouring of support for me and the situation my Dad is in. I am optimistic he will fully recover. When he does, I'll sacrifice whatever it takes to accompany him on an Alaskan Moose Hunt. In the meantime, there is a Bowsiter who will likely never have the opportunity to accompany his Dad on another hunt. Instead, his current goal is simply to be with his Dad during this difficult time.

If you have not helped yet, I beg you to contribute to this worthy cause. No amount is too small! If you are reading this post you are a part of this Bowsite community. Generally speaking, the definition of a community is a social group who shares common values. If you share my values it's natural that you would make a financial contribution to Elmer and his family.

Regardless of what many believe, this is not a web-based discussion forum about bowhunting issues. Instead this is a web-based discussion forum shared by passionate bowhunters about a variety of important issues.

04-Dec-14
Arctichill, I hope that your Dad is doing better and recovers fully. Please tell him that all of Bowsite is praying and wishes him well.

Elmer, Have you considered flying out there now; and when we finally get the donation total over the hump, having your wife and son join you? Any update on your Dad's condition?

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to get this thread more attention? Paypal is so easy (and FREE) that I really hope bowsiters consider donating, even a dollar or five.

04-Dec-14
Well said Jesse!

This thread needs to stay on top!

If you haven't contributed something please reconsider, think about what it would be like to lose a loved one without getting to see them one last time or imagine your last interaction with your Mom, Dad, Wife or Child was just a phone call.....

04-Dec-14
Again arctichill, well said, and prayers for your family.

04-Dec-14
Update on my dad. He had a stent put in his esophagus back on November 25th. He started off being able to eat soft food, and now last night was able to eat some small pieces of pork chop. His weight is now down 38 pounds. He was probably 40-50 lbs overweight when this all started.

Yesterday dad went and met the doc and team who will be doing his radiation treatments. He starts Radiation this coming Monday. My dad plans to work as long as he can, even through the radiation treatments. He really doesn't have a bucket list of thingshe wants to do. He is in his early 80's and has been working since he was 6 years old. He doesn't know much more than working, and it keeps him from just sitting around waiting for the end.

As far as the timing of the trip back to Vermont to see my dad, well, that is still in negotiations with my mom and dad. Included in Tue conversations are my brother(who lives only 20 minutes from my parents ) and his girlfriend (an rn who has been involved with this kind of stuff for decades) and my 2 best friends who also are medical professionals.

My mom and dad have asked me and my family to wait until after the new year to come visit. My brother has even been asked to give them their space. Their emotions are still very raw, and my mom especially. She just had her final surgery 2 weeks ago from her almost fatal car wreck last year December 3rd, and she is still very low from that, and now adding on my dad's condition has said she just couldn't handle a visit during Christmas. She wants it to be just her and my dad. She said she couldn't handle having even just me come for Christmas. She also wants to physically be able to do things with me and my wife and son and dad, and that would be extremely difficult for her due to the surgery she just had 2weeks ago.

So, I am going to respect my mom's wishes and not travel back, even by myself until after the new year.

So, there you have the latest. It's going to be tough being so far away, but I will deal with it and do my best to make the holidays the best for my wife and son up here in Anchorage.

04-Dec-14
Elmer, I am sorry to hear if this situation. My father-in-law who was my hunting buddy passed away from esophageal cancer at 67. That was 16 years ago and I still miss him.

I will send a donation. I am very confused though about why they don't want you to come now...that is very confusing. This disease can go downhill very quickly and often there aren't second chances. I'd suggest you get there -mom might not be thinking right.

Arctic chill...I pray your dad recovers very quickly. Life really can change on a dime!

04-Dec-14
Steve. My parents Don't want us to come back quite yet as she has told us she might have an emotional breakdown from the added stress of anyone else around. She is still recovering psychologically from her car accident that almost killed her last December. And the stress from my dad's situation is making her worse. Add bringing me or my family back and that might just push her over the top during the holidays.

That is the best I can explain it right now. It isn't that she doesn't't want us home, she is just so fragile right now she doesn't't want/need any more stress on her. She wants us to come back but not till after the stress of the Christmas season is over.

05-Dec-14

05-Dec-14
No details needed Elmer....It just seemed that having close family around might help her instead of hurt.

All the best to you and your family.

07-Dec-14
Well, Damn.....when it rains it pours. Now, on top of dealing with my dad's cancer, just to make life even bumpier.....late this afternoon I got a call from a friend who was ice skating with my wife, son and her son's friends. And it wash't good.

I picked my wife up, and headed straight to the orthopedics doc. She had fallen and thought she might have broken her wrist. She did a little more than that She broke the Radius just above the wrist a couple inches. Displaced fracture with some extra bone chips. Was displaced enough that her radius was about 2-1/2 inches shorter than normal. Also looked like 4 bone chips. Doc Re set and splinted everything. Got some good pain killers, and on Monday we go in to see about surgery.

Looks like they are going to need surgery to repair it all. Will know the details Monday afternoon.

And my dad starts radiation treatments on Monday too. Needless to say my stress level is super high. Ugh. Not a good weekend in our house.

I am thankful though that when my wife fell, despite falling backward, she did not hit her head or hurt her neck!!

07-Dec-14
Change in plans.....instead of just a consult with the surgeon tomorrow, the surgeon already saw my wife's x-rays and has scheduled her surgery for tomorrow, Monday afternoon.

And....dad's first radiation treatment is tomorrow morning at 9:15 eastern time.

With all this on my mind, I sure hope the combination of meds I am taking knock me out and let me sleep tonight. Hardly slept last night thinking about everything. :0(

07-Dec-14
Stay strong buddy!

08-Dec-14
I am trying to stay strong. My wife should be out of surgery within the next 1/2 hour. My 7-1/2 year old son is scared for mom. I am trying to NOT let him see how nervous I am.

08-Dec-14
Damn Elmer, this is not good ! Hope everything turns out well for your wife.

08-Dec-14
Quick update....my wife got through surgery well. She is home and recovering and in la la land thanks to good pain meds.

Dad had his first radiation treatment today. It went smooth. 14 more to go!

08-Dec-14
Good news!!!

09-Dec-14
This is great news thanks for sharing

10-Dec-14
Talked to my dad tonight. Had his 3rd radiation treatment this morning. He is tolerating it well so far......he has a consult with the doc and another radiation treatment tomorrow. He is still up and about and fighting as best as he can!

11-Dec-14
How's the wife doing?

11-Dec-14
Ghostbird, my wife is doing good. Since her surgery she has been mostly resting. The pain meds have kept her comfortable. She has been talking about wanting to go back to work today, but I am not letting her. Doc said she should take 2 weeks off. I am working hard to keep her out at least 1 full week. She is really stubborn that way!

Thanks for asking!

11-Dec-14
how is the trip funding coming. how far to go to get the 3000 needed?

11-Dec-14
Donation update. Now hot to $1700. We're getting there.

Thanks again for all the help and we'll wishes!!

13-Dec-14
Quick update. Donations still sitting at $1700

Dad had his first 5 radiation treatments this week. So far he is tolerating them quite well. And he is happy to be eating small amounts of real food again. Apparently with 3-1/2 months of not being able to keep solid foods down, he has lost a full 35 pounds and has dropped a shirt size. His stomach must have shrunk because he can only eat about 1 cup at a time before he is full.. And Weight loss has slowed a lot too since he can eat a little real food.

And my wife's wrist is healing good after the surgery. She originally had to take pain meds about every 2 hours. Now is only taking one about every 6 hours. Yay!!

18-Dec-14
Quick update. My dad had his 9th radiation treatment today. He is handling it good, but it is mai king him extremely tired. Still only able to eat about 1 cup of rep food at a time.

My wife is healing well from her surgery. She is off the heavy pain meds and now only taking alleve, and is back to light duty at work.

And donations have stayed at $1700.

That's it for now! Thanks again for all that have helped out!!

23-Dec-14
Quick update. My dad is almost done with his radiation treatments. Last ones are early next week. They are starting to add up and make him extremely tired. No known side effects yet.

He IS able to eat, but still only 1 cup of food or less at a time. He is a tough old goat, hanging in there through it all. Will find out next course of action, if there is any early next week when his radiation treatments are done.

Donation total still at same level, $1700.

Will be talking with my mom after Christmas to nail down more definite plans to get back there to see my dad before he gets too bad!

Another Huge thanks to all who have helped out in a tough time for me and my family!!

26-Dec-14
Just talked to my dad. He is back to not being able to keep food down, just the boost nutritional drinks. Nothing solid or even semi Solid. He says his back is hurting too. They are thinking both not being able to eat again and the back pain are due to his radiation treatments. He has his last radiation treatment on Monday. Hopefully he can talk with his docs and get the cause of the pain and why he can't eat again. :0(

26-Dec-14
How long you going to wait Elmer?

26-Dec-14
Good question Bou. I was just talking with my mom about that last night. If it is looking like a turn for the worst, I will be on a plane in a day or 2.

26-Dec-14
Like I suggested earlier....dont wait= no regrets.

27-Dec-14
everyone has a personal approach that works for them and their family, but the concept of waiting until a very sick loved one gets sicker as the criteria for when to visit them is risky. prayers to you for wisdom and your dad for health and your mom for peace.

is there someone there speaking with the doctors and getting information besides your parents. I have found that in situations like this the best people to fully understand and ask the right questions are often not the two older people closest to the matter. You may need some validation from what they are telling you.

I hope you have someone local that is trustworthy and involved playing that role so you can have confidence that your mom and dad are getting the news and medical details, which can be very complicated, straight and passing on the same to those who care. often when faced with these highly emotional situations denial, fear, or confusion can all lead to misinformation, or incomplete information, being shared.

27-Dec-14
Bou, My Brother lives only 25 minutes away and he and his girlfriend who is an RN have gone to a lot of the appointments. Mom said brother is going to one of the next ones too.

My discussions on when to go visit have included my brother's input also. I am going to be talking with my brother again later this week.

I don't plan on waiting till my dad's last days. I want to be able to take a few drives someplace with him, find out if there is anything he wants to do.

27-Dec-14
Bou, My Brother lives only 25 minutes away and he and his girlfriend who is an RN have gone to a lot of the appointments. Mom said brother is going to one of the next ones too.

My discussions on when to go visit have included my brother's input also.

27-Dec-14
+1 Bou-bound

27-Dec-14
As I said earlier our family has been down this exact same road with the exact same disease. Just watch close because when the window begins to close it closes fast and there's no getting it back open.

27-Dec-14
Ditto- my brother in law went fast after a 9 year bout with brain cancer. He died Monday, my wife was going to go Tuesday to visit him one last time :/ No regrets of you don't wait but if you wait there's no guarantees.. Best wishes

Josh

27-Dec-14
sounds like you have the help needed, it was a little confusing because above you said "If it is looking like a turn for the worse, I will be on a plane in a day or 2." and then you said "I don't plan on waiting till my dad's last days. I want to be able to take a few drives someplace with him, find out if there is anything he wants to do."

If that's the case don't wait until he takes a turn for the worse.

Best of luck with all this it is not easy expecailly from 4000 miles away. Bless your family during such a difficult time.

27-Dec-14
Thanks Bou. It is a balancing game right now as to when to go or not. I talked to my dad yesterday and he was telling me he might not work bar tending new year's eve. He worked Christmas day and said he was really hurting at the end and it was not as busy as new year's eve will be. You know it is bad when he says he might not work. He lives to work. Said his mid/upper back was really bothering him.

Who knows. My gut feeling is I will probably be headed back sometime in January.

Dad has his last radiation treatment this coming Monday, then a consultation with the doc the next Monday. That consultation will give us a bettter idea of how things are progressing. My Brother and his girlfriend, the RN will be at that consultation.

Thanks for all the advice, kind thoughts and help.

28-Dec-14
Elmer....Heres my opinion..My grandmother had the same kind of cancer, they found it in Nov and gave her 6 months ...She passed the first week of April..

She was ok at first and seemed to react pretty good to the treatments to allow her to eat, but then after a month or so it went down hill quick...

The last 2 months in a nursing home and had no idea where she was at...

I hate to sound negative, but thats how it played out.

You need to get there as quick as possible...with this form of cancer, once it really starts, you may not have time to get there if you keep putting it off...

28-Dec-14
Many on here have hinted towards my thinking, but I will go ahead and say it. If I was in this situation, you can bet your tail I'd already be back home to see him... regardless of what they say. I would never let my parents tell me not to come home to see them when one of them is suffering from something that could take him away from us at any time.

28-Dec-14
I am starting to look at plane tickets tonight.

28-Dec-14
Elmer that's the best thing to do.......

Let me just share my uncle recently passed away at my hm. He was a highly decorated vet that I admired my whole life. We were very close. He was here seeking treatment and I was trying to help him along. He seemed to be doing ok given the cancer he had and he had driven down here on his own just 1 week earlier. One day he seemed fine but 3 short days later he was gone just like that. It was hard to deal with that and the speed in which it occurred. I called my mom and told her she needed to come fast because I felt he would not be able to ever leave to return to her hm. He just went down hill so fast. My mom came the next day and less than 36 HRS later he was gone.

I would almost beg you to go asap because of how fast these awful things can occur.

Going and seeing him = No regrets.

28-Dec-14
Big-Otis-Jeff x100

This usually goes to the brain and you lose the person you knew quickly. Once my father in law got there, it wasn't long.

29-Dec-14
I hate to put it out there like that,but, it literally went from her being able to eat somewhat and talk to you, to her being comatose and in constant pain and not being able to breath..

Get down there before its too late....Better to have your mom bitch at you for comng than to beat yourself up for not making it in time...

29-Dec-14
Elmer,

Good luck with the plans. I hope that the donations by your Bowsite brothers will help.

All of us are praying for your Mom and Dad.

If anyone reading this hasn't contributed a few bucks to help Elmer and his family with some very expensive travel, please consider doing so. (PayPal is easy and free.)

Here is the contact info.

Eric Menck PO box 243983 Anchorage, AK 99524

907-440-0472

And if you are using Paypal: [email protected]

Happy New Year and God Bless!

29-Dec-14
Dad had his last radiation treatment today. Has a consult with his docs next week Monday.

08-Jan-15
Finally got back east to see my dad. Short trip, only 4 days. It was good but tough. Dad has lost over 45 pounds. He finished up his radiation treatments last week Monday. He went back to not being able to keep food down again and next week Tuesday is having another endoscopy to try and find out if the stent has slipped or the tumor grown or what. He is weak enough that he has given up his 4-5 nights a week bartending at the local elks club and had to give up his work driving cars and car carriers for the local car dealerships too. He can't really even drive or get out of the house right now on his own. He is coughing up white foamy phlegm too.

Docs are Holt the weakness, phlegm and inability to eat again are just effects from the radiation and that they will subside as he gets further on out of the radiation treatments.

He was so dehydrated that this past Monday and Tuesday he had to get 2 bags of IV fluids each day as well as another 2 bags today.

And to complicate things, docs found a blood clot in one leg that had swelled to twice it's normal size. He is now on anti clotting meds and docs are a little concerned about when the clot breaks up. Can only wait and see.

If the docs are right and his energy returns with passing of time after the radiation and he can get out of the house for a car ride or 3 I will go back again and take him for some rides.

Many thanks again to all those who helped make this trip possible.

08-Jan-15
You will be happy you went when you did Elmer. I'm glad you were able to go.

08-Jan-15
Thanks for the update Elmer, our prayers are still with you.

09-Jan-15
Prayers will continue and it is great that you were able to get out there. It meant a lot to them I am sure.

• Sitka Gear