Triple 3 20-Nov-14
ohiohunter 20-Nov-14
Outdoorsdude 20-Nov-14
TD 21-Nov-14
CJE 21-Nov-14
Barron114 22-Nov-14
ohiohunter 22-Nov-14
18-Nov-14
What kind of knife is in your elk pack? If you had to choose one style of fixed blade knife for deboning an elk on the mountain, would you choose a drop point or clip point style?

I have a Havalon and will keep it as a spare in case I lose my future fixed blade.

18-Nov-14

Mule Power's embedded Photo
I think lots of people assume that because an elk is bigger than a deer you need a bigger knife. Not so. I like the Buck 102 Woodsman. If you prefer a bit bigger the 105 Pathfinder is also an ideal knife for the job. They look identical. I keep both in my pack. I never sharpen knives while I'm working on a bull. No time for that stuff!

I also use a Havalon.

18-Nov-14

I guess I could add that I take my quarters to the truck hide on. I skin them once I get there with the Buck 103 Skinner. Awesome skinning knife.

I like Buck knives because A) They use a very hard steel which holds and edge for the whole job of cutting through elk hide. and B) They have an unconditional lifetime no questions asked warranty.

18-Nov-14

idacurt's embedded Photo
idacurt's embedded Photo
I carry a Cutco Serrated fixed blade and a Damascus hunter that I made. Works great!

18-Nov-14
Good feedback. Others have suggested the Cutco drop point in the past (4 1/2 in blade). I like their kitchen knives. I saw they also have 4-3/4 in clip point version hence my questions today.

18-Nov-14
awesome knife Idacurt

18-Nov-14
Oh man, that's a pretty knife!

18-Nov-14
Curt's knives look like "functional artwork".

18-Nov-14
Drop point Cutco for me. I had the serrated blade years ago but found it cut elk hair instead of parting it leaving hair pieces everywhere

They have a great warrantee and customer service

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

18-Nov-14
I carry a clip point lockback on my belt and a drop point lockback in my pack. I often use both on the same animal.

18-Nov-14
Carried a Dosier drop point for years, worked great. Now I carry a Havalon.

18-Nov-14
Havalon piranta

19-Nov-14
Buck #119 owned for 30 years and its been in alot of animals and has never let me down!I have it pro sharped once a year and I use a steel on it while working to keep that razor edge

MrC

19-Nov-14
My Havalon became my go-to this past weekend, my Gerber fixed-blade became the back-up. Not to say I don't like my other knives, you can never have enough good cutlery! Putting a good edge on a blade is one of life's simple pleasures...

19-Nov-14

ohiohunter's embedded Photo
Any knife in the alaskan line up will not disappoint. This is one of my latest additions. s30v steel is about as good as it gets.

I've used havalons, but I'm tired of breaking blades.

19-Nov-14

Lets try this again

19-Nov-14
I like the drop points for skinning and processing an animal...and a small clip point for fine skinning [heads]

I like a good knife...carry the havalon as a backup and a good knife is all about the steel- good sticky on the bladeforums.com site

20-Nov-14
Drop point Cold Steel Master Hunter has always worked great for me.

20-Nov-14
Drop Point - You all use pretty big knives! Mine is an old Gerber folding blade knife I got from "Santa" when I was 12. Has a 2 1/2" drop point blade - It's gutted/skinned/quartered well over 100 Big game animals by now. Holds an edge pretty good as I can gutless a whole elk w/o it getting too dull (if I am careful).

idacurt - that's a beauty!

20-Nov-14
I have a couple Cold Steel Ultimate Hunters, BTM. Good knives ... good steel.

20-Nov-14
I always have an alaskan crosslock folder with me. I just like the weight and feel of the vanguard, makes skinning effortless. Just holding that knife you want to cut something, its a beautiful thing.

Its also only a half inch longer than your gerber. But the steel makes a world of difference.

20-Nov-14
Havalon Piranta Bolt. Half the size and weight of most of the knives listed here, takes five seconds to "sharpen," will cape and quarter an elk with 2-4 blades depending on how careful you are about avoiding hair, and, again, weighs almost nothing. I've used dozens and dozens of blades on everything from grouse to oryx, and I have yet to break one. The knife is scary sharp; you'll cut yourself and not even know it.

If you must have a fixed blade, I'll put in a vote for the Cabela's Alaskan Guide knives. The S30V blade does hold an edge quite well. It takes a little more effort to sharpen, but it stays sharp longer.

20-Nov-14
I like drop points. I like how they look for one thing, and really like good steel and a nice handle.

I retired my Buck Woodsman after many years, and now use a Bark River Classic Drop Point Hunter. Really like the knife. Convex edge, so takes a little work to get ready to sharpen. But I made two leather strops, and can get it scary sharp now.

I also keep my Havalon in my pack for caping stuff. And usually use the Havalon when I'm cutting joints and stuff and cutting against bone, as that just dulls a knife so quickly

Bake

20-Nov-14
I used to use the Buck General pictured in Mule Powers pic as a pig sticker when hunting with dogs but had to cut some checkering into the handle as it got real slippery when bloody.

I think those textured krylon handles [as in the orange knife pictured above] or something like it is optimal..though it doesn't look as good as that cool Damascus blade above.

20-Nov-14
Razor Blaze. Disposable blades and a bigger handle than the Havalon. I also have the havalon because I bought it first. Mike

20-Nov-14

Triple 3's embedded Photo

Triple 3's Link
For what it is worth here is what I've used for the last twenty years Outfitting. Dismantling well over 200 elk's All good and sharp! Hard to believe I haven't lost any of them. The Old Timer folder is one of my all time favorites. The Bark River really fits the hand and holds an edge. I retired my 110 Buck folder from the early 70's.It's in my display case with about 50 other oldies but goodies. Hard to beat a Buck knife.

I Never got very excited over the replaceable blade deals I find the inserts (Replaced blades) laying around camp or in the pickup beds left there by my guides . I guess they are OK for caping. They just might be the way of the future along with smart phones and GPS's

Craig

A knife loving Bowsite Sponsor

20-Nov-14
Holy crap, why such big knives...are you guys killing the elk with the knife or the bow???

I use a CRKT Dogfish ( 5 1/4 inch total length) and its plenty or the Havalon...light and handy knives. Anything to save weight and still be functional.

Used to pack BIG knives but see no use anymore other than they are nice to look at...just my opinion though.

20-Nov-14

Triple 3's Link
Oh yes don't forget this in your kit.

Craig

Tomahawk Throwing sponsor!!

20-Nov-14

After using quality steel I've become a bit of a knife snob. I'll never be in the woods without a crosslock. My first elk I used this for the gutless method then had plenty of edge to bone out and clean up the rest back at camp. I do not sharpen knives at the kill site.

20-Nov-14
I carry a drop point made by Puma out of Solingen, Germany. My wife carries her Grandfathers Buck 103 skinner, just like in Mule Powers' photo; he's gone now but still 'joins' us on every hunt.

21-Nov-14
For deboning I carry a forschner 5" flex blade boning knife. It's hands down the tool for the job. Once you use one in the field you'll never want to go back to a regular knife. Have hooked several friends on them as well.

Skinning I like the "gut" blade on the swing blade style for "zipping" down the back and legs from inside out so little hair gets cut. The main blade is... ok for skinning.

I use the havilons a fair amount, caping work and cleaning up skulls for euro mounts. Use it a great deal for pelting pheasants as well. But rarely for breaking down an animal. Honestly most results I see from folks using them the meat is all chopped up and with hair all over. I want mine looking like it came from the butcher shop as much as I can. Using the right tool is not only much faster, it makes a better product. Always have a havalon in my pack though, good little caping knives and in a pinch can do most anything if your careful. Have two of the fixed handle models in my shop as well.

I deal with a fair number of animals every year, both mine and my buddies. Those tools are in my kill kit at all times now. A leatherman on my belt as well. Never know when you have to open a beer.....

Still searching for the perfect skinning tool. The swingblade is close, browning made a folder that had a zipper blade that works well too. I love "zipper" blades. Gut hooks incorporated into regular blades just don't do the job well on the tougher dorsal cuts and such.

I bought a raptorazor skinner several months ago and was very excited about it, looked to be the perfect tool for me, a great zipper blade with an "ulu" type skinner on the other side. It came in the mail on a saturday afternoon, I put it in my kill kit that night, made a hunt early sunday morning..... and during the hunt some scumbag broke into my vehicle and stole it and several other things in the truck, couple other knives (including a custom one a bowsite member made for me, it was pretty special) even my cigars and lighter. Owned it maybe 12 hours..... I'm gonna try it again someday, I still think it will be a great tool.

Maybe Santa is listening....

21-Nov-14

CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
I made this one last spring and carried it with me this year. It's out of 1095 steel and it holds a good edge. After cleaning a few animals with this knife, I prefer more of an up swept blade for gutting and skinning, just my preference. This one will probably be retired after this season. I also carry a Havalon in my pack for deboning, they work pretty good for fine detailed work.

22-Nov-14
Cold Steel Pedleton Lite Hunter. Ultra sharp and super light(less than 2 oz). I have used it for several years on whitetails, intentionally splitting pelvic bones and sternums, trying to test the blade. Also used on an elk hunt this year. Almost impossible to dull the blade. Paid $13.

22-Nov-14
Awesome craftsmanship CJE

• Sitka Gear