Purdue 22-Nov-14
Chesapeakesam 22-Nov-14
Big-Otis-Jeff 23-Nov-14
writer 23-Nov-14
Nick Muche 23-Nov-14
19-Nov-14

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
I received this new clip in the mail today about a black panther that was captured on a game camera in Alabama.

The recent photo was taken in SW Choctaw Co., Ala. which is in the SE Quad of Alabama. News clipping was from The Choctaw Sun_Advocate dated 11/12/14.

Kind of interesting.

19-Nov-14
Cool!

19-Nov-14
Wow!!

19-Nov-14
I mean, really?

Cmon gents.

Time to put on your brainiac hats.

19-Nov-14

Salagi's Link
Google "black panther game camera" and you will find this same picture being labeled as from Kosse Texas, Roan Mountain Tennessee, and North Carolina. Pretty well traveled cat. :)

Supposedly this picture is out of South Africa on a game farm. Which since it is a leopard looking head makes sense.

19-Nov-14
Oh, I see, a cat!

19-Nov-14
Yeah, we get that a lot in Texas. Only Black Panthers I've ever seen had afros.

19-Nov-14
I thought this post was about Bobby Seals !

19-Nov-14
Alabama and bulls**t... anybody see a connection there?

19-Nov-14
It's TBM'S pet kitty

19-Nov-14
BS

"black panthers" have NEVER been documented in the wilds of the U.S.

20-Nov-14
Writer... Please define "documented".

My great grandpa, a very honest man, along with several other family members have seen black "panthers" in the UP on more than one occasion.

Though not "documented" I'd believe what they say/said over most of what I hear on TV or read in a paper.

Alabama is a long ways from the UP but not very far from Florida and I've heard about them being in FL...

20-Nov-14
I have been told the black panthers in AL are the smartest in the world and tougher to kill than any other black panthers anywhere. supposedly it takes next level thinking to bring one down and you need heavy arrows and BIG broadheads.

i have heard that guys from the north that go to hunt them in the south fail miserably when applying northern panther tactics to these witty melonistic southern felines.

is that true.

20-Nov-14

Russell 's embedded Photo
Russell 's embedded Photo
I think there's one living near me too.

20-Nov-14
We have a lot of them in Philly

20-Nov-14
Yep, large group of them in the Birmingham area!

Most of the rest of the state is void of them thanks to the Klan!

20-Nov-14
They'll be in Ferguson enmasse today.

20-Nov-14
We have black panthers in Florida, does Florida count as being in America? We also have the kind with Afros too. I think they should all be shot as soon as identification can be confirmed. But that's just me, I'm a hunter/jerk/cracker/etc...

But on a serious note, can someone please explain why its sooooo important to save a critter that nobody ever sees? Doesn't provide any significant benefit to the world? Occasionally kills pets? Why should we care about an unseen preditor ? Mike

20-Nov-14

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
Of course we have them in Illinois too.

I have been waiting for the opportunity to come forward with this pic!

I thought it was EHD that decimated our deer herd, but it must be the black panthers :)

20-Nov-14
Every year I hear 4 or 5 stories from folks who never enter the woods about Black Panther sightings. If I added up all the sightings I have heard about over different areas I would think we would have a very sizable population of them but they seem to be very elusive to me who is actually in the woods more time than not throughout the year doing 12 month trail cam monitoring over some very remote properties... They must like it more up around town I guess...

20-Nov-14
Classic Bou!

20-Nov-14
That picture is of a cat owned by a famous big cat nut in, I believe, South Africa

20-Nov-14
Salagi,

Thanks for getting to the truth of the matter.

Bowsite is the most verifiable site on the Internet.

Since Al Gore invented the Internet- all info must be verified.

Good job.

Tks

20-Nov-14

J.E. Travis's Link

20-Nov-14
I live in Bama. And I have been seeing that picture for years. It keeps showing up every few months with a new story.

20-Nov-14
Sure are a lot of racist rednecks on this site. Hope those redneck thoughts don't get pasted on to your kids.

20-Nov-14
Not being a supporter of the black panthers makes a white person no more racist than one that doesn't support the KKK. I didn't see any posts dogging honest black folks. I suppose because I don't like white trash either I'm racist against my own color. The racial divide in America is caused and fed by those that claim to be the most racially sensitive.

20-Nov-14
I bet Shenna and her friends are having a great laugh at the expense of the dumbass editor in charge of the paper.

Bou ....classic LOL

20-Nov-14
Hey LINK the missing is MISSING in front of your handle. Guys were insinuating more then "Black Panther" Bro.

20-Nov-14
Jack Harris, that is hilarious! Thanks.

20-Nov-14
Black panthers come from outer space because places with the most black panther sightings are the same places with the most UFO sightings.

20-Nov-14

B N A A guy's embedded Photo
B N A A guy's embedded Photo
My Uncle Si has seen a few Black panthers in the South, and if Uncle Si says it happened then it did JACK!!!!!!

20-Nov-14
Nick Muche: Writer... Please define "documented".

Documented - Actual proof. Commonly considered by reasonable people as more credible evidence than speculation from one's family members "back in the day".

20-Nov-14
They printed a retraction in the Choctaw Advercant and named the source...a girl...probably a blond. A couple of good ole boys playing a joke and she took the bait.

20-Nov-14
TBM ,

Thanks for the follow up on the story.

Just to prove don't believe everything that is printed in the paper. I should have investigated more before I initiated the thread. However, there have been funny comments.

Tks

20-Nov-14
Not a problem..... always have a cat arra in the quiver....

20-Nov-14
Leave it to the hit and run poster ol Wayne to set me straight. Ha....

21-Nov-14
Well, you seemed confused about the definition. So I thought I would help you out.

21-Nov-14
"Sure are a lot of racist rednecks on this site. Hope those redneck thoughts don't get pasted on to your kids. Killinstuff"

And I hope your kids learn how to spell "past" instead of "pasted"!

I'm not insinuating anything, I stated clearly. Once identification is made ALL Black Panthers should be shot! 4 legged and 2 legged! And yes I'm white! But I also think the KKK is on the same level as the BPs. Anyone that defends the BP didn't live in the SOUTH in the 70s. Carry on. Mike

21-Nov-14
I'm just surprised that a Black Panther could survive the brutally cold, harsh Alabama winters...Those "cool, humid" temps are a killer. Definately more suited to a Snow Leopard.

21-Nov-14
The mountain lion is the only member of the cat family that does not have a melanistic phase to its color scheme

Many of the reported sightings are large bobcats, escaped pets of the leopard and jaguar families

In the southwest the jaguar is the main offender

Even the cryptozoology guys (big foot believers) look for them with no results.

But then again if grand dad said it it has to be true So carry on

21-Nov-14
Florida Mike, You mean "passed" not "past" or "pasted" right?

21-Nov-14
LOL! Ahhhh "redneck".... such terms of endearment....

Pretty classic case of the pot calling the kettle.... ahh nevermind.... didn't see it the first time... likely not going to the second.....

21-Nov-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here's a melanistic Bobcat. Probably the origin of "Black Panther" sightings.

21-Nov-14
Think about it Woodsman416, lol just think about it. Usually when I respond I'm trying to be humorous...Sometimes though it does rub me the wrong way when certain people, who usually live up north want to accuse us (southerners) of being racists. Or in this case it could be a youngster who never was exposed to the Black Panthers and their hate. I see the KKK and the BPs as on the same level. I also HATE to see revisionist idiots rewrite history. Mike

21-Nov-14
Okay troops, here is the true biological data on a "black panther".

There are two species of large cat that can show that melanistic trait somewhat regularly. They are-leopard and jaguar. I'm having a senior moment and simply cannot remember the name of the other, small South American cat that shows it infrequently. Perhaps it will come to me before I finish typing. Most other species can show it very infrequently.

Anyway, all three have a black or melanistic underlying spot pattern or tinges of black. None of them turn completely black, they just appear to. Also, none are native to North America. It is believed that one might live in the Southwestern desert area because Mexican jaguars have been documented to occasionally range through there.

What is documented? That is see, recorded and verified by a person trained to know what they are seeing, not just someone who saw what they believed to be a certain species of animal. There are many homegrown experts who have seen Bigfoot. Yet, so far, it is undocumented.

Melanism is common in many species including deer. There is an area in the Hill Country of Texas where solid black deer are killed quite often.

In short, unless it is an escaped pet, there is no black panther roaming in the U.S. and there never has been.

Dang it, that cat I can't remember is larger than an ocelot and smaller than a jaguar, endangered and I still can't remember the dang name.

21-Nov-14
"The mountain lion is the only member of the cat family that does not have a melanistic phase to its color scheme."

RK,

Any explanation as to why this is felt to be true?

21-Nov-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Bigfoot Proof

21-Nov-14
SEND THIS PERSON TO THE EDITORS FOR ATTENTION...

"The mountain lion is the only member of the cat family that does not have a melanistic phase to its color scheme." RK,

Any explanation as to why this is felt to be true?

I would assume it is due to that gene not being present. Why it isn't, I have no idea. I had not heard that before however, I had heard that none had ever been documented. By far, it is most common in leopards.

21-Nov-14
" Also, none are native to North America. It is believed that one might live in the Southwestern desert area because Mexican jaguars have been documented to occasionally range through there."

I thought Mexico was part of North America.

21-Nov-14
Mexico is Central America.

21-Nov-14
I've gotten a few black panther reports. Gotta be true. I was always taught Central was anything between Mexico and Colombia. Doesn't necessarily make it correct to the experts in the geography field.

Interestingly enough, I believe we still only have 7 recognized continents, so I tend to believe that Mexico (either in whole or parts) could be classified as both part of Central and North America. I'm guessing it matters little to the case of the existence of the black panther though.

I think that bobcat above might actually be about 25% werewolf.

21-Nov-14
Bowriter Other cat is jaguarundi It has a black phase.

Medicine man Bowritet probably pegged it with the missing gene

I have know idea. I have know lots of people that have had mountain lions for pets and seemed really knowledgeable on the ins and outs of these cats. They did not know why either but were certainly aware of the fact that they had never seen or heard of th even in the circles of people that bred them.

I was involved years ago and in a minor way with the catching and restocking efforts for the Florida panther. Lots of texas cats caught and sent to Florida The biologists involved always said the same thing. No black m. Lions. Lots of very chocolate colors that when wet looked almost black

Best I can do

21-Nov-14
"I didn't mean to start a fight at your black panther party."

21-Nov-14
Why do I have a notice that says, "Send this person to the editors for attention" at the top of my last post? What is that all about? Nothing controversial in what I posted.

21-Nov-14
Private Reply SEND THIS PERSON TO THE EDITORS FOR ATTENTION... The mountain lion is the only member of the cat family that does not have a melanistic phase to its color scheme.

Bowriter - when you copied and pasted RK's statement, you copied some of the green line too. I did it above to make sure I was right for once.

21-Nov-14
John, if you state your point well, back it up with facts, using well-written text,...you can't be allowed on Bowsite.

Sorry, but folks like you just won't do!

21-Nov-14
I've seen black panthers (leopards) at the zoo and if you look in good light you can see the spot pattern pretty easy.

bowriter, I thought you were rattin' out RK or Jake.... =D

22-Nov-14
I know it "Writer" but I just can't help myself. A little eddycation can be a dangerous thing. You should see me trying to explain the difference between natality and recruitment and then explaining why fawn mortality must be divided into predator and natural causes and why climate often causes far high mortality than predators. Try that on a hunter sometime when you are just sitting around a campfire.

22-Nov-14
When I was a much younger man, I saw a black panther (4 legged) while I was hunting. It looked really long (about 7') as it ran across the dirt road. After what was posted earlier I did a little research and it seems what I may have seen was a Jaguar, which does carry the melanistic color phase. Or maybe some redneck caught a regular panther and painted it black! Mike

22-Nov-14

Here is the apology article publish in The Choctaw-Sun Advocate newspaper declaring the original article/photo as a hoax. Article is dated 11/19/14. A week later than the original post.

I sure the photo/article created quite a stir- it did on Bowsite for sure !!!

22-Nov-14

DL's Link
Back in the 1950s we were at one of my dads uncles place in Southern California in the San Jacinto mountains. It was back in the mountains past the Santa Anita race track. They said that they had seen a black jaguar at there place.

Here's an interesting link.

22-Nov-14
Florida Mike:

A jaguarundi is probably what you saw. They have been seen in Florida since 1907. They are a type of puma and some appear totally black.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguarundi

http://www.google.com/search?q=jaguarundi&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=S1pxVJaID4yigwTngYP4AQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=_

22-Nov-14
Wow! My hometown newspaper made Bowsite. Good folks there...certainly in need of news in my old sleepy little county, and I am sure this got the coffee shop talk going.

"Dumbass" editor comments are a little harsh I would say. I am sure Xman has never done anything that would raise an eyebrow.

23-Nov-14
I remember Forest Gump talking of the black panthers in Alabama.....

23-Nov-14
It happens, especially with small town newspapers.

We have to double and triple-check things at my newspaper, and even then it can get tough. Sometimes, I've just had to call BS on a story or photo if it can't be confirmed.

There's that word, again, Nick. Sorry.

23-Nov-14
No worries!

• Sitka Gear