Callingalldeer 21-Nov-14
Archer829 21-Nov-14
drycreek 22-Nov-14
IdyllwildArcher 22-Nov-14
Lucas 22-Nov-14
Alexis Desjardins 22-Nov-14
drycreek 22-Nov-14
20-Nov-14
anyone eating Venison Liver, and if you are, how do you prepare it and how are you cooking it?

20-Nov-14
Fry it up with bacon onions and butter!

20-Nov-14
Fly up onions in butter, slow don't burn. Now cook bacon some then put cut up thin liver that has been dipped in beat up eggs and then dipped in seasoned bread crumbs in with some bacon and cook. After liver is almost cooked add onions.. Yum!!! eD

21-Nov-14
I just used our wild game cookbook that only had one recipe for liver in it. Instructions were to slice the liver thin, place in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.

As soon as water boils, drain and transfer to a hot skillet and fry with onions. Do not over-cook because it will become "rubbery".

My boys (9&11) choked down a quarter sized piece, and I had a few more than them. I see why there was only 1 recipe in the book, and it wouldn't have broke my heart if they left this recipe out of it.

I'll eat deer heart, but that is the only organ I will eat from a deer again. I have never tried deer tongue, but beef tongue is phenomenal.

21-Nov-14
We start by frying 1-2# bacon. When done, set bacon on paper towel to drain. Pour off most of the grease and set aside. Brown 1-2# sliced red onions in grease and set aside. Clean and rinse liver, then cut into 1/2" slices. dredge in mixture of 1 cup flour, with salt/pepper to taste. Pour saved grease back into pan, and bring to heat. Add liver and cook until brown on outside, and pink in middle. Don't overcook!!! You can pour onions back in, or heat them and bacon in microwave. Can't beat fresh liver!

21-Nov-14
I consider the liver one of the best parts of the deer. We accidently used powdered sugar instead of flour once while frying deer liver. We had a few celebratory drinks before hand. It was so good we now mix flour and powdered sugar when we fry it.

21-Nov-14
...would rather eat the colon.

21-Nov-14
butter and garlic fried low and slow.

21-Nov-14
do you remove the greyish skin/membrane first?

21-Nov-14
"Organs are for church."

THAT is classic Lefemine right there, folks!!

21-Nov-14
The greyish skin thingy is the spleen.. :) I know a few people that have liver and spleen with onions.. I'm pretty sure that they don't know.

So who's had spleen and onions??? :)

So Pat when's the last time you've been to church to know that???

eD

21-Nov-14
I ate so much deer and elk liver over the last 5½ decades, I finally lost my taste for it. I give it away in camp.

Now the heart? That's another story altogether.

21-Nov-14
Having high colesteral I'm not supposed to eat "organ" meat. Thought I'd have some a few years ago and cut into the liver to slice it up for supper. There were these things that were like a wet rotten oak leaf/leech things all threw it. Though I'm told it doesn't affect the meat, I won't soon be thinking about deer liver again.

21-Nov-14
Bear Track, you maybe talking about the holes that the blood goes thru????? It so that normal...

21-Nov-14
I had the cook prepare liver and onions on our caribou hunt in September. It was very good.

21-Nov-14
My first time through college I went for Fisheries and Wildlife Biology. I was part of a deer parasite study looking at liver flukes in WT deer. Yep, never again.

21-Nov-14
No teeton, flukes. They were from what I understand, very mature ones. About 3" by 1". Brown, slimy and far from appetizing. That liver I would say had 40-50 of them in it.

21-Nov-14
No teeton, flukes. They were from what I understand, very mature ones. About 3" by 1". Brown, slimy and far from appetizing. That liver I would say had 40-50 of them in it.

21-Nov-14
As good as liver and onions smell, I just can't stand the flavor of the liver. I've said it before and I'll say it again "I don't eat no guts"! I will admit to trying the heart from a doe I shot a couple of weeks back. The guys convinced me, well tried to anyway, that it was a muscle and not guts. It was pretty good. The smooth texture of the outside was a little weird however.

21-Nov-14
I was going to make dog treats out of one, so I cubed it up and put it in the dehydrator..........bad idea, it smelled exactly like I gutted a deer in my kitchen.

21-Nov-14
I like it once in a while. I cook it just like the posts above. I like to slice mine and let is soak overnight in cold salt water. I like to get as much blood out as I can. I then rinse it very well. Then, flour and fry in bacon grease with onions. Don't over cook. I've found that acorn fed deer liver is better than ones that have been eating winter wheat. I bet corn fed is pretty good.

21-Nov-14
Rolled in flour S&P fried in Bacon grease with fried onions and YELLOW MUSTARD (this is the must). Oh and lets add some fried potatoes in there and some peas or green beans.

21-Nov-14
Smoke em then make liver pate'.

21-Nov-14
I eat every bite from every deer... slice and trim, pound with meat mallet and dredge in seasoned flour, fry fast in a little olive oil in cast iron skillet on high heat just until done (155F internal temp)

21-Nov-14
Given that "most" recipes for liver include: onions, garlic, bacon, etc. I've never tried it. I don't like onions or garlic and the idea of eating an organ that filters all of the toxins from the bloodstream doesn't appeal to me.

However, a non-hunting friend who has gone "primal diet" insists liver is high on his good food list, so ever since I've been passing them his way.

21-Nov-14
French's Yellow mustard is a must with liver

21-Nov-14

IdyllwildArcher's MOBILE embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's MOBILE embedded Photo

You can have your liver, these are what it's all about! Yum yum and strong like ox for 2 days.

I do love heart, but don't like liver. I've always liked liver wurst though and considered looking into how to make that. Has anyone?

21-Nov-14
The heart is the best part of the deer

21-Nov-14
I'll eat it once in a while, but I never let the heart go to waste! Just boil it, slice it for sandwiches with onions & spicy mustard....awesome.

21-Nov-14
I use to eat heart and liver until I heard about cadium .

21-Nov-14
Organ meat is very, very bad for you. Especially if you have problems with gout. Listen to Pat. If you value your health, leave it for the coyotes....

22-Nov-14
I've eaten fresh deer liver before, and I like it, but nobody else in my house does, so I leave it........the colon too!

22-Nov-14
Although people with gout should avoid organ meat, classifying it as a very bad for your health is incorrect. Like everything else in our diet, it should be eaten in moderation.

Organ meat, although high in purines and cholesterol, and in certain cases heavy metals, is no worse than eating a can of tuna fish. As far as vitamins and minerals go, liver is #1 amongst all foods.

As long as you don't eat it every day it won't harm you.

22-Nov-14
X2 IdyllwildArcher

22-Nov-14
Heart and liver like em both.

22-Nov-14
Idyll, I used to drink a lot. That vodka will make you stumble like an ox for two days also.

Oh, you said " strong like an ox " ......my mistake !

• Sitka Gear