TD 22-Nov-14
Hollywood 22-Nov-14
ridgerunnerron 23-Nov-14
Bowboy 23-Nov-14
BLG 23-Nov-14
20-Nov-14

Hollywood's embedded Photo
Hollywood's embedded Photo
Regular guy. Epic Ram. 174 3/8 net official.

20-Nov-14
Great Ram Hollywood! iT can happen!!!!!

20-Nov-14
What a gorgeous ram! Congrats to all.

20-Nov-14
Oh my god !!! Please tell me there is a story somewhere about that monster.

20-Nov-14
...in the works.

21-Nov-14
Very nice !!

21-Nov-14
Awesome. Was this Alaska or Yukon?

21-Nov-14
Alaska.

21-Nov-14
Congratulations Don!

21-Nov-14
Amazing ram Don!! Congrats!!!!!

21-Nov-14
Shot with ?..

21-Nov-14
WOW! I'm guessing the TOK area? Regardless of method of take that is a world class ram and thanks for sharing the pic!!!!

21-Nov-14
Nice Ram ! Good job !

21-Nov-14
That is a heck of a ram for a regular guy! Actually that is a heck of a ram for anybody! Congrats and can't wait to read the story.

21-Nov-14
Gorgeous ram, fantastic picture, priceless experience!

21-Nov-14
CanNOT wait for that one! Spectacular ram and photo!

21-Nov-14
Congrats, WOW!

I do not envy many but that ram and landscape speaks volumes.

21-Nov-14
What a beauty!

21-Nov-14
Spectacular!

21-Nov-14
WOW, what a great animal, congratulations Hollywood!

21-Nov-14
Sooooo, you post a pic of a Great Ram and you do so trying to make a point to R.HALE?

R.Hale must be very important to you. Ya'll must be very close friends from the gravity of your post. I do agree with having friends that mean a lot. A friend is so important. Someone that you can spend time with doing what both enjoy! I bet you guys get to hunt all the time! Congrats on a great ram but more importantly congrats on having a great friend (R.Hale) and being willing to share your friendship with everybody! Mike

21-Nov-14
Don,

What a ram!!

A few questions....

Were you the guide, the videographer, or both?

Did you get the hunt (and shot) on video?

Not that it detracts from the story at all, but is this a bowkill or gun kill?

21-Nov-14
Wow to the ram, wow to the hunter. Wow to being mentioned in the title of the thread.

I doubt that ram was killed by a guy who booked a hunt in an open area. It does happen but is very rare. Most likely in a draw area in AK. So, the outfitter, his family, his friends and the residents would not of been able to kill it legally.

Could be wrong, a few do slip between the cracks. If so, it is the exception that proves the rule.

Thanks again for thinking of me.

21-Nov-14
Incredible. Congrats to the hunter.

21-Nov-14
in reading the growth rings how old is that brute.

21-Nov-14
Grant, Hard to tell from the picture but appears to be 10 or 11.

21-Nov-14
Can't family, friends, and residents apply for draw areas, as well as others?....or do you mean that they can't hunt those areas without applying like the others are required to do?

21-Nov-14
Congrats to all involved! What a beautiful old monarch! Love that shaggy coat! More info when you can!

Mark

21-Nov-14
Yes they can. Don's point was that I was incorrect in stating that regular guys are not often guided to top end rams in open areas where outfitters, their families, friends and resident hunters can hunt. If this was an open area in Alaska, it would be a point against my position. (Though I never said that it does not happen occasionally.) In a previous thread, I broke it down by state and province. Listed why the guy just booking a hunt has basically has near zero chance of killing a great ram. I also listed exceptions such as special draw areas. All of this was last year but I guess the truth hurt some of the outfitters businesses.

If it was in a limited entry unit and actually would prove my point.

21-Nov-14
A friend of mine here in Yuma, AZ killed a Boone and Crockett Dall ram whose official score was 169 6/8 in 2012. Story goes that the Governor's tag hunter cancelled so he took Steve to kill it. Chugach Mountains so draw unit I believe. Took some luck but it can and does happen to regular guys.

His ram is pictured on Alaska Trophy Adventures Facebook page and Boone and Crockett's Trophy Watch page. Not a bow kill so I won't ruffle the feathers here.

21-Nov-14

21-Nov-14
My money is on the TOK. Great rams can come from anywhere but my research on Alaska seemed to favor the TOK over all other areas.

21-Nov-14
I'm just having fun with R. Hale.

It's an open area, this is not a draw. OTC tag. Regular guy, not related to the outfitter, paid the regular price, showed up and worked really hard and was rewarded with an epic sheep.

Jake, I was the guide, it was a riflehunt. We did film the hunt, there was a guy running camera but the videographer did not get the kill shot(ran out of memory at the moment of truth). Which was a bummer. You know how hard it is to film a hunt from our experience together.

The point is regular guys can kill big rams.

21-Nov-14
...in addition, this is not to disprove R.Hale's opinion. He has plenty of evidence to support it.

However, I don't want to discourage young guys or new sheep hunters from "dreaming big".

You can't kill a Boone and Crockett ram without Boone and Crockett effort.

21-Nov-14
Don,

Sincerely, that is great and thanks for posting it. Hard to imagine in Alaska. But facts are facts.

21-Nov-14
Great Job Hollywood and hunter! That is an incredible ram! Epic no doubt!

21-Nov-14
Wow is an understatement! What a ram! Congrats to Hollywood and the hunter. An amazing animal!

21-Nov-14
That is truly amazing that it was not from a draw area. Great trophy animals are killed every year in OTC or public land areas in the lower 48 and apparently it sometimes happens in Alaska as well! Sounds like a prime example of hard work paying off for a deserving hunter.

21-Nov-14
The average joe has not chance to kill big rams.. Those are resevered for the rich and famous. Hollywood knows about the rich and famous movie stars and how they get the plumb movies. The famous hunters get put on the biggest rams. Not saying that others can't but usually those that get a big one is more luck than anything.

Bou

He appears to be ten or eleven on his right side but only nine on his left.

21-Nov-14
A beauty for sure!

22-Nov-14
Congrats again Don. That hunt looks like it had everything. Epic for sure! I'll be anxiously waiting for the rest of the story. You must have sat on this news for a while as it's too late for sheep hunting in that country.

22-Nov-14
I felt it was best to wait until the 60 day drying period passed and the official score came out.

22-Nov-14

richc's embedded Photo
richc's embedded Photo
Average Joes can get big rams just takes a lot Of work. Open area in Alaska and scores 172 and change. My friend is on the right and he shot the ram with a rifle at 25 yards.

22-Nov-14
OK.... now I see what you meant by saying you were having an AWESOME season.... =D

Congrats Don. Must have been very satisfying to put your guy on such an animal and take it. All the great guides I've ever met seem to enjoy getting their guy a good animal than shooting one themselves. Pretty cool.

22-Nov-14
Great ram RichC.

23-Nov-14
Great photo Don on a great ram!...for a regular hunter guy.

23-Nov-14
Awesome Rams guys congrats!

23-Nov-14
Those are both great rams!

There's just something about a pic of a mature ram that says you earned it, no matter where, when or with who !!

• Sitka Gear