Hugh 17-Dec-14
hunterx 17-Dec-14
cityhunter 18-Dec-14
Cazador 18-Dec-14
cityhunter 18-Dec-14
20-Nov-14

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Any one interested in Black Bear hunting Prince of Wales Island Alaska in 2016 should go online now to apply for a tag. The application period is open now.

Anyone who drew a tag in last years drawing and still needs a place to stay, I have room at the cabin in Whale Pass. Its $1,000 for up to two weeks if you need it. Strictly a DIY hunt with the rental covering only a place to stay

22-Nov-14
Sweet place!!

23-Nov-14
Awesome accommodations and just as nice bears.

Super comfortable beds and a hot shower is a welcome relief after a long hunt!!!

23-Nov-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
Kelly don't think it will be a long hunt!!! I saw more Blk bear then people on POW !!

23-Nov-14
up to 2 weeks DIY on POW for $1000? That's an awesome offer for anyone looking for a bear.

23-Nov-14
Thanks Louis and Kelly,

Although, in my opinion, the bear hunting did fall in quality for a while on the north end of the Island, the changes that ADF&G invoked have made a substantial improvement. I can be pretty critical of the State of Alaska at times, but they did respond to the need to restrict the harvest on bears. I give them credit for making the observation and implementing the changes they did.

I have noticed a very significant reduction in the hunting effort during the spring bear hunt. That is likely due to the need to draw a tag as well as how crappy the road has been for several years. If you've drawn the tag, its going to be well worth the drive to the north end to bear hunt. The road project has now been completed too, so its now paved almost to Whale Pass.

We have been seeing increasingly more mature bears in recent years with my best bear this spring having a 20 & 3/16ths skull. My sister-in-law killed one with a 20 & 10/16ths skull. There are lots of bears and its not particularly difficult to set up your own bait or hunt them spot and stalk on the beach.

Bob

10-Dec-14
I sent out a group text to my fellow hunting partners here in Ohio. so far my dad, Morgan and I are putting in for the draw. my group text was 11 people but I am hoping Serb goes for sure!!!!

Bob either Dad or I Will call you after draw results....

10-Dec-14

hows the fishing that time of year !

10-Dec-14

Lots of these things around if a guy doesn't like bear meat.

10-Dec-14
Bob, I talked with you before about bringing the family for a vacation along with this hunt and I have your response saved somewhere at home, but would this cabin be ok for a family of 4?

What's the spring season dates approximately?

If you win a tag, the tag is good for the spring and fall of 2016 correct?

What fish can be caught nearby? Shrimp?

10-Dec-14
If ya catch a halibut can you choot em with your pistol? LOL!

That's a great deal Bob. So you have to put in now for 2016? wow.

10-Dec-14
The draw that is open now, for Non Residents is for this coming fall (2015) and NEXT spring (2016). Spring tags expire 30 Jun and there are only 80 of them available.

10-Dec-14
Got one for this spring, hope to arrow a big orange bear!

11-Dec-14
Bob, is there a boat available? Or rental nearby?

11-Dec-14

Bear tags are good for either spring or fall, not both. The application period closes on the 15th of this moth I think, not positive about that. So in a few days it will close.

Family of 4 would be fine with Lisa and me. You'd be in the hunter annex where there is a full bath, but you'd be a bunkhouse type environment. There are 4 bunks.

I have several boats and 15 hp outboards. I don't want to be in the boat rental business nor will the State allow me to provide them with the cabin rental. I can’t help anyone hunt in anyway. I would sell you a boat at a reasonable price and I'd buy it back from you at the end of your trip at a slightly less reasonable price. You’re probably looking at around $2,500 to $3,500 for the boat depending upon which one you got. I’d buy it back for around $500 less if it came back after a two week period in as good or better condition.

11-Dec-14

Spring bear is from the first week of May through mid June.

During the month of May and the first part of June there are halibut in salt water, cut-throat trout in the lakes and rivers, Dungeness crab, and shrimp. Salmon start showing up in the bay at Whale Pass in mid June.

11-Dec-14
Thanks Bob. Interesting way of handling the boat issue, but I understand completely. Is this a hunt where you recommend glassing and stalking beaches, or its it a better bait site hunt? Which would be tough to establish as a NR coming in to hunt for a limited time, right?

11-Dec-14

It can be done either way, baits or beech hunting. For the first 7 or 8 years I hunted the Island I never had a bait and I killed big bears almost every year.

My baits are usually hit within three days. On the rare occasion it will take longer than that, I've had some hit in one day.

11-Dec-14
I'll be all over this one as soon as my daughter can draw a bow! All that seafood is making me hungry!

Andy

11-Dec-14
Is camo allowed at the cabin?

Kidding...I want to chase moose first but this would be a great hunt too.

11-Dec-14
I've put in for the spring hunt every year since it went to draw unsuccessfully... I was lucky enough to hunt the South End the last year one could do it OTC. Fun trip, maybe I'll finally draw this year.

If not, all the more reason I will be happy to gain residency up North sooner than later.

11-Dec-14
If you can't find a good bear to shoot on POW, your not trying.Actually, I wasn't trying to find bears during my deer hunt last fall and could have killed at least 5 bear in a week.Price for this is incredible,and you'll love the island if you've never been there

11-Dec-14
couldnt draw wow I have the worst luck in the draws but i drew this tag 1st attempt .

11-Dec-14
POW is amazing!!

photo IMAG0288_zps5k1yurc7.jpg

photo photo 2-1_zpszeajbnbi.jpg

photo P9060151_zps11f637aa.jpg

photo IMAG0315_zps288d04dd.jpg

11-Dec-14
OK I sent out a group text to my hunting club members about this.

I know for sure my Dad, Morgan, and I are putting in for 2016 draw. Dad is appling today and I will do Morgan and mine tomorrow after work.

I am pretty sure my cousin Jason will be putting in also?

11-Dec-14
Is there a place to fuel the boat?

11-Dec-14

hntnfool's embedded Photo
hntnfool's embedded Photo
Here is a bear from the area Bob hunts, Just under 20p&y

11-Dec-14
Kelly, did you apply as a party so that you either all draw or no one draws? If you'd prefer to hunt together, that's the best route.

11-Dec-14
Nick, no didn't know we could do that I will call my dad now

11-Dec-14
How do spring bear on PoW eat?

11-Dec-14
how to bears on POW eat with there mouth i would think !!!!!

11-Dec-14
Bob my friend Jim was on POW years back i think he was hunting with Larry Jones !!Jim stuck and killed a giant 21 14/16 on a spot and stalk !!! with a sticbow

11-Dec-14
Spring bears on POW are, in my opinion, are unedible. Of course, you have to drag them out until June 1st.

11-Dec-14
Can you apply in a group of 3 for tags?

11-Dec-14

11-Dec-14

11-Dec-14

11-Dec-14
Labby,

I don't see why not.

Nice bears Dan, POW is a special place and Bobs cabin is perfect.

11-Dec-14
Dan- Morgan always talks about that photo of you shooting the fish with a pistol.

She always use to ask. (Daddy can I shoot a fish with a pistol if I catch one) LOL

Party tags are sold in groups of 2 people only.

11-Dec-14

u can even catch them with a fishing pole !! As soon as bob had a fish on the bear came out trying to claim his fish .. I kept hearing that bear just behind me in the timber!! Crazy two bears were fighting across the stream ,, one bear below us two above us . Bear trails all along the streams.

11-Dec-14

u can even catch them with a fishing pole !! As soon as bob had a fish on the bear came out trying to claim his fish .. I kept hearing that bear just behind me in the timber!! Crazy two bears were fighting across the stream ,, one bear below us two above us . Bear trails all along the streams.

11-Dec-14
I think the most you can apply as a group is two.

11-Dec-14

Bob has Bruce finished the drywall LOL!!!!!! Home made sushi bar !!! hold the oysters i get into enough trouble!!!

11-Dec-14

12-Dec-14
Dan Julio has the tag also i made him apply , U best coach him so he dont shoot a dink !!!!

Any idea were i can get some beaver!

12-Dec-14

12-Dec-14
cityhunter - is that inside Coffman Cove? Looks like it... fished right there several times. Cool!

Blacktail Bob - are the fall bears any better eating than the spring bears? I would love to do a hunt there but the bad meat tempers my enthusiasm...

12-Dec-14
I'm not Bob, but Spring bears they say are more edible. There is a reason there is no salvage after June 1st. FISH.

Only exception would be bears on berries, but my guess is bears on berries is just a temp thing from gorging on fish.

I've seen bears in the fall up there with blue pads, killed on the crick eating fish. To be honest, and up front, bears on POW are hunted for the experience and their heads. Fall bears have better hides. Spring hides are all rubbed. Sure you can get a one off, but POW is not the place to go for a spring bear hide. Just my two cents. A fall bear will have a better hide overall. Maybe not as thick in places, but it won't be orange or bald like you see in the spring.

12-Dec-14
Thanks Cazador. Yeah I had basically guessed that they'd get worse in the fall - guess I was holding out hope that maybe an early summer of blueberries in the alpine would have some of them tasting good before the pinks came in strong in August. Oh well. Still a hunt on my list.

12-Dec-14
Thanks Cazador. Yeah I had basically guessed that they'd get worse in the fall - guess I was holding out hope that maybe an early summer of blueberries in the alpine would have some of them tasting good before the pinks came in strong in August. Oh well. Still a hunt on my list.

12-Dec-14
them bears hides in the pics above look good enough for me !

12-Dec-14
Then you don't know what a good hide looks like. Dans nephews is ok, but close up I'm sure iat best its decent. I was there when he killed it, morning bear.

I'm sure bob would agree as well as Dan. Pow is about 20" heads not hides.

15-Dec-14
OK I just put in for Morgan and mine party tag today!

Looking forward to returning to POW in 2016

15-Dec-14
Good luck to all ! today is last chance

15-Dec-14
What is the best way to get donuts up there now? Bigdan implied that it is hard to get them now and I am seeing that also. Those bears love the donuts and I feel more likely that the bears are coming if they are out for bait?

15-Dec-14

15-Dec-14
Dan yikes i was just going to stop at dunkin and get a 12 pack will that make me a master at baiting ;>

15-Dec-14
LOL! I remember the stories of "skinnin' twinkies" in the shop around the stove all winter long.... took me a few seconds to sort that all out with bear bait....

Didn't have to worry about that stuff molding for sure. I'm not 100% sure if it would even digest....

17-Dec-14

Hugh's embedded Photo
Hugh's embedded Photo
Pow 2012

17-Dec-14

Hugh's embedded Photo
Hugh's embedded Photo
POW 2014

17-Dec-14

Hugh's embedded Photo
Hugh's embedded Photo
Same Bear 20 6/16

17-Dec-14

18-Dec-14
OMG a big bear with a nice hide go figure congrats Hugh

18-Dec-14
New york has 150 inch bucks too, every once in awhile.

Nice bears Hugh!

18-Dec-14
Yea Caz Ny also has some awesome BLK bears in the state .

• Sitka Gear